Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:16:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 373
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 342
Total: 342

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I am being bullied  (Read 8210 times)

Offline peer_gynt

I am being bullied
« on: December 03, 2011, 12:48:01 pm »

Hi all

I don't know where to post this. But recently something that is rather infuriating has been happening to me. I have been bullied over the internet.
Last night two friends texted me saying that they saw a post on craigslist showing pictures of me and saying that I was HIV +. I went to said website and saw it... I have never cried on any HIV related stuff until now... it's unfair...
Why do they think they have the right to out somebody on that way... I dont know what to do?
Can you please give me some advise thanks.
Will be seeing a attorney next week.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: I am being bullied
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 12:55:38 pm »
Hi all

I don't know where to post this. But recently something that is rather infuriating has been happening to me. I have been bullied over the internet.
Last night two friends texted me saying that they saw a post on craigslist showing pictures of me and saying that I was HIV +. I went to said website and saw it... I have never cried on any HIV related stuff until now... it's unfair...
Why do they think they have the right to out somebody on that way... I dont know what to do?
Can you please give me some advise thanks.
Will be seeing a attorney next week.

Im sorry you are being bullied , that sucks . You may ask the web site where the stuff is posted to take it down if you can .

As far as contacting an attorney ... If your goal is to sue for libel or something like that it would be hard to do if what people are saying is true . From what little you have shared your best bet is the have the post removed .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 01:02:52 pm »
I agree with Jeff, as far as I know you have no legal recourse for this. It's like picking on someone for being fat in middle school -- unpleasant but a reality for some.

btw, if you don't want people to know that you're HIV+ I'd recommend taking your Univ. of AZ email address out of your profile on this forum. I just found your phone number in 2 seconds.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 01:07:58 pm »

btw, if you don't want people to know that you're HIV+ I'd recommend taking your Univ. of AZ email address out of your profile on this forum. I just found your phone number in 2 seconds.

Peer_gynt, I went into your profile and made your email hidden for you. I did it this way because it was faster and easier than having to give you step-by-step instructions on how to do it. It will now appear to you (and admin and mods) in italics, but all anyone else will see under the email heading is the word "hidden".

CL should remove the ad if you ask them to. Sorry this is happening to you.

PS - if you decide to change your email address in your profile, make sure it is a current, working address. If you change it, a reactivation email will be sent to the new address, so if it isn't a real one, you will be locked out of your account. Also, if you do use a real address but do not see the reactivation email, check your spam folder. They sometimes land there.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 01:12:16 pm by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline peer_gynt

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 02:15:05 pm »
Thank you for your comments. I appreciate them.
It sucks that there is no anti-bullying protection laws... anyway im still seeing an attorney as we are talking about other stuff. I was hoping to bring that out too.
Lets see.

Thanks again.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 02:20:12 pm »
Good luck and keep us posted, PG.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 05:31:38 pm »
Last night two friends texted me saying that they saw a post on craigslist showing pictures of me and saying that I was HIV +.

I am sorry this happened.
And by the way, these two friends, how did they happen to see it??
Which part of craigs list was it anyway, the personals??
Not to get you paranoid, but just keep a slightly open eye on these two friends... Also, why two friends?? Two different sightings, or they were on craigslist together when they saw it....
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline butterfly

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 08:36:38 am »
You can flag the ad repeatedly and get it removed by CL. Chances are they will continue to post the ad up on CL after it has been removed. Keep a watch on it. While you may never find out who posted it, sometimes there are enough clues in the ad to figure out who it was. We had a nanny that we had fired do this repeatedly to us to "warn" other people about our family. Quite simply she was pissed that she had been terminated. A simple letter from an attorney shut her up. It usually does if you can figure out who is posting it. There are internet investigators who specialize in finding out that information of who posted and then charge a set amount only if they find out who did it. Shoot me a message if you would like more information regarding the investigator.

Offline bosco

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 11:39:49 am »
Actually you may have a legal option, not for slander because what was said about is true, but releasing your medical information without your consent violates HIPA which is a Federal Law. I'd look for an experienced attorney who specializes in either Federal Practice or areas involving Health insurance matters. If you have trouble finding an attorney you might contact Lambda Legal.

bosco
"Dog is my co-pilot".

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 11:46:51 am »
Actually you may have a legal option, not for slander because what was said about is true, but releasing your medical information without your consent violates HIPA which is a Federal Law. I'd look for an experienced attorney who specializes in either Federal Practice or areas involving Health insurance matters. If you have trouble finding an attorney you might contact Lambda Legal.

bosco

HIPAA laws do not apply in a case of internet chatting . Those laws govern what healthcare professionals and pharmacy's can share . Some one correct me if I'm wrong but don't think so .       
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline bosco

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 11:03:26 am »
HIPAA laws do not apply in a case of internet chatting . Those laws govern what healthcare professionals and pharmacy's can share . Some one correct me if I'm wrong but don't think so .     

Although I don't practice in the area of Federal Health Law I am an attorney and know that HIPA has broad and fairly far reaching protection, which was why I suggested consulting either Lambda Legal (they have a help line) or an attorney who is familiar with HIPA. I do know that when I was a juvenile prosecutor there were many aspects of a juvenile's health records and treatment that couldn't be mentioned in a closed courtroom because it would violate HIPA. Its worth checking because no one should have their HIV status disclosed without there knowledge or permission. Just my $.02 cents.
"Dog is my co-pilot".

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 08:00:47 pm »
This is not likely to be a HIPAA issue -- HIPAA applies to institutions and individuals who know about your condition because they treat you, enroll you in coverage or otherwise have official access to your private health information.  It also applies to institutions and contractors that these "covered entities" share your information with.

HIPAA isn't typically held to apply to gossip or speculation that isn't informed by those official sources.

But HIPAA isn't the only privacy law on the books.  So it might be worthwhile to reach out to a lawyer familiar with HIV disclosure rules. (I just wouldn't go looking specifically for lawyers that are familiar with HIPAA)

Assurbanipal, (not a lawyer, but supervised a few HIPAA types)

5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 09:59:28 pm »
I think its important to remember also you can only specifically use HIPPA to report an abuse of the law , it doesn't give an individual at legal cause to sue . There may be sate laws that goes futher than HIPPA and could possibly be used to punish somebody who violates the privacy of a patient .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 02:08:33 am »
I'm sorry to hear this has happened to you.  So, someone or some people make a post in a section of CL to talk about you?  That is messed up.  Were they thinking they were warning possible sexual partners about you?  It is definitely not right what they did.

About being searchable on search engines---I have made a mistake in using my email address as the user name for just about every website I visit---everything from this site, to store websites, to xtube.  A search quickly brought up HIV, HIV, HIV under my name and things I've written--personal things and the occasional embarrassing story told here.  But, it also brought up videos I have favorited on xtube.  Can't do much about it now than to begin using a different screenname for everything.  I used the same one for everything, so I wouldn't forget each user name for each website.  Stupid me, I could have just created a totally different user name (not known to anyone or business) and just used that one over and over.  I know this isn't what caused what happened to you, but giving you a heads up in case you use your user name here for other things.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.