Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:37:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 356
Total: 357

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 19 year old poz for a month.  (Read 11796 times)

Offline dhivpol

19 year old poz for a month.
« on: October 04, 2008, 02:05:55 am »
I am a newly diagnosed poz gay male. I have gone to my doctor for blood work. Is a cd4 of 382 and a Viral Load of 37000 good for a person just infected maybe the last year? Its all kind of confusing. Any help would be awsome.  ???
Live, Love, and be Happy.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: 19 year old poz for a month.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 02:12:03 am »
Hi D

Welcome to the forums.

Reaction to the results is difffernt for everyone, but over time you will find a way of coping with the virus that suits you and it might be quite differnt from how others deal with it.

No one here will ever tell you it's easy, it's ok to get angry or scared but don't let it take over your life, stress is natural it can actually help some of us get through certain situations but excessive stress can cause you physical symptoms and can damage your immune system further, just find ways to manage any stress you may be feeling, learn to relax and listen to your body.
Along with HIV comes anxiety and one way of tackling this is through information. gaining confidence in yourself and making informed decisions about your future.

Support is very important and you can get this from a qualified ID doctor , family and friend that you trust and there are many support organizations out there...just make sure whoever you discuss this with is sympathetic,supporting and  non judgmental about your HIV status.

Most important of all you have to remember that being HIV+ does not top you from being the person you were before your dianosis.

Hugs
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline dhivpol

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 02:26:30 am »
Thanks Ann. I have been doing research and even becoming a HIV Tester at my local GLCC (Gay Lesbian Community Center). I guess its just the stress. My mom already told me before if I ever got hiv i would "be dead to her already" so in that case I cant tell any family. Im the only child, only person in the family to go to college. Just scared. I already had follucitis and my seroconversion. Its just hard.

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 02:42:42 am »

dear dhivpol

It looks like those might be your first numbers.  They're OK.  Just OK.  NOthing great.  Some people start meds with a cd4 of 300.  Some wait until they are as low at 200 and others will start at a count of 500.  (and some are as foolish as me and wait until they get PCP (Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia) and have a grand total of 12 t-cells.)  Just so you know, 'normal', healty people have a CD4 count ranging anywhere from 500-1600+.

But it's never wise to start treatment until you establish a pattern of your CD4 cells which takes a minimum of 3 tests.  When is your next exam?  Ususally, if you're newly diagnosed you go once/month for the first few months to see how your body is responding to the virus.

Good luck.  LIke Jan said, you can get some good support here.  People here from all over the world and from all walks of life.

robert

Offline dhivpol

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 02:46:43 am »
Thanks both of you, its nice to have people to talk to.

Offline tag_man08

• Keep Dreaming!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 03:19:08 am »
Remember that you are in charge of your health.  Get a good doctor to follow your numbers a few months--look at trends.  The numbers will fluctuate, but your doctor will be able to tell you when you will need meds.   REMEMBER to be stong and follow your dreams...college is an important thing. 
08/30/07:  The HIV diagnosis...
09/07/07:  CD4 299 (21%)  VL 160K
01/07/08:  CD4 396 (26%)  VL 125K
04/21/08:  CD4 478 (25%)  VL 92K
09/03/08:  CD4 313 (23%)  VL 10K
11/03/08:  CD4 338 (23%)  VL 30K
11/21/08:  Isentress & Truvada
12/05/08:  CD4 485 (29%)  VL  undetectable in two weeks
03/13/09:  CD4 575 (30%)  VL  undetectable

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 08:39:25 am »
So young, it breaks my heart, but with youth comes optimism.  How are you doing, are you continuing in college?

As the other posters say, find good people to support you, find accurate information, get a ID doctor, and if you haven't already, when you are ready check out the livng with HIV threads they are filled with support.

Maybe put the mom issue on the shelf for quite awhile, until you adjust to your new status, and have a good strategy to deal with her possible reactions.  Eventually, that may work out better than you currently imagine...
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline atlq

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 11:18:46 pm »
Dhivpol,

Your viral load is pretty low and your cd4 count is large enough to give you the time to plan your next move. Another couple of cd4 counts/percentages and Viral Load tests should be taken over the next 3-4 months as cd4's can vary by as much as 50-100 cells depending on the time of day, the lab doing the testing, and certain other illnesses...

But those numbers should certainly not panic you...

“Keep up the good work....   And God bless you.”
  --  Sarah Palin, to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, 2008

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 09:36:25 pm »
dhivpol,
  Welcome to the forums.  You have lots to be upbeat about.  The treatments have never been better and it's realistic for us to expect to live quite a while.  The good news, is that you caught your HIV infection early.

I would suggest talking to a counselor about your parents.  Mine haven't said anything like that and I still have not told them.  If it's important to you, than you can broach the issue.  Sometimes parents say things that they later turn out to regret.  I'm hoping that your mother's harsh comments are one of those things that she really didn't mean.  Sometimes in the heat of the moment people say things that are hateful.

Finish your education.  It's important and you'll need it later on in the long life that you have ahead of you.  Nothing really changes except that your healthcare is now more important.  Yes, you are going to have people who say they won't date you.  But guess what, you probably wouldn't date a girl?  Right?  Sorta the same thing.  Some Neg guys are going to be jerks.  count on it.  Realize also that it may be their issue, not yours.  There are plenty of hot poz guys.  You can find some on the personals, and others through friends.

Ask away if you have questions.  Your in the right place.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 08:51:49 am »
Welcome, D. We're sorry you have to be here and we're also glad you found your way here in a time of need.

It is very important that you establish a relationship with a doctor who's going to regularly be monitoring your health. HIV is serious of course, but gradually you're going to see that your life is going to go on and it can still be a wonderful one that you've looked forward to. You just have to take good care of your health -- along with your doctor's care, things like good nutrition, proper rest and exercise and all that sensible stuff are important. If it becomes necessary for you to go on to the meds that's a bridge you will cross if and when you get to it. 

As far as disclosing your status, take your time. Read our lesson on that subject. You're always going to be welcome here to ask questions and to talk about anything that's on your mind. Gradually you're going to learn everything you need to know to stay well. 

Again, welcome.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline pozmnguy

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 09:19:38 pm »
Welcome dhivpol,

I also am sorry your here but am here to say that it is going to be okay.  I remember when I tested positive I in my way weird way did a bulk text to all my friends.  Not what I would recommend for everyone but totally the way I would do it and everyone was awesome.  I even set up a meeting for my parents to meet with my ID Dostor so I didn't have to try to answer there questions.  Tell who you want when you want.  There will be a time when it is right to do so.  I hope like myself that you one day find this to be just a blip on the radar.

There are many great knowledgeable supportive people here that will always help when needed.  Stay strong, chin up, now go kick some ass! :o

Jim
3/08   Diagnosed
4/08  CD4  34           VL     537,000   Started Atripla
5/08  CD4 144    8%  VL        1,010
9/08  CD4 141    8%  VL            60

Offline FutureX

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 06:42:44 am »
I didnt talk to my mom about it for 15 years, so dont think you have to say anything right now.

And that sucks what your mom said, my mom said " I just dont know what would happen if one of my boys said he was gay, I just dont think I could take it".

Well, she took it.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 10:46:03 am »
Hey D,

My name is Joe and I have been living with HIV for 24 years.  I am so sorry that you are here, but I can tell you that it will get better.  I imagine you have so much whirling through your head right now and all of that is perfectly normal.  You have just been diagnosed and feeling overwhelmed is a very common reaction.  There is nothing wrong with you, nor did you do anything to deserve being infected with HIV.  However, as others said, you need to get good medical care and find support where you can.

If you feel the need to tell others, please review the disclosure information on this site and remember that there is no hurry to tell anyone, if you are not ready.  You could also talk with a professional or a support group, where your status would remain confidential.  The point being that only you can decide on the type of support you need, so do not be afraid to find something that works for you.

I wish I could tell you how your mother may react, as I am also an only child.  My mother was shocked, but she recovered pretty quickly.  Unfortunately, for us both, my father turned away from me, when I became poz and came out as being gay.  So if you are uncertain as to how she may react, I would suggest that you wait, until you understand more of the implications of disclosure.

All of that can wait, however, because what is important now is for you to take care of your health, heart, mind and soul.  Believe it or not, you are still the same person, with all the dreams for the future.  There is no reason to abandon those dreams, and by laying a good foundation now, you will soon discover that having HIV does not have to end your dreams.  Take the time to do things you like and do not worry about learning everything regarding HIV, because there will be time for that.

You should also be prepared for some powerful emotions, that will surface as you begin your journey with HIV.  It is not unusual for someone newly diagnosed to feel dirty, unloved or unworthy of love.  Again, these are very normal reactions and you are always welcome to come here and talk about ANYTHING.  The journey with HIV is different for everyone and while we cannot tell you, what your journey will contain, we can be there to walk along side you.

There is knowledge in power and these forums contain a wealth of information and support.  Use us as you need and welcome to the family.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.