Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:26:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 197
Total: 197

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: when is best to take Atripla  (Read 11261 times)

Offline Tony123

when is best to take Atripla
« on: February 21, 2014, 05:11:30 am »
I was diagnosed HIV+ 1.5 years ago and have just started medication 3 days ago. I am taking Atripla. Fortunately the only side effects so far are bit of fever and drowsiness. Currently I am taking the pill around 9pm - about 2 hours after eating, however when I wake up the drowsiness starts and goes on for quite a while i.e. 6am till about 12-1pm. Is this normal. I have noticed a slight improvement as the days go by. I guess it is still early days and I just need to monitor it.
However my question is - if I had to change and take the pill say 2 hours before eating instead of afterwards would it make any difference for the next morning or will it mean that I may get drowsy early in the evening. So for example if I took it at 4pm - ate at 6pm, would I start feeling drowsy around 8pm or so and/or will it reduce the time the following day.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: when is best to take Atripla
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 06:55:44 am »
Hi Tony and welcome to the forum . Two hours either side of a meal will work but I do not recommend anyone take Atripla except at bedtime and two hours after a fatty meal . If taken at bed time you can sleep past some of the effects . Atripla is forgiving when it comes to dosing schedule . You can take at at bed time even if bedtime vary by hours to lets say stay up late on weekends .

Atripla still works if you take it with a full meal but it will most likely then cause the drunk CNS issues it s known for if taken that way .

Lastly, I would be on the look out for depression or mood changes . If you have these side effects then its time to talk to your doctor and see if a med change is in order . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline MadisonTeddy

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 07:37:07 am »
Good morning Tony..I am on week #10 more or less...I take Atripla at 10:30pm to 11:30 pm. The side effects you mention rapidly tapered off after 2 weeks and the morning sluggishness is totally gone. I do not worry about when or what I ate anymore, I just take it and fall asleep without any issues. I hope you share my experience after a few weeks....All the best and welcome!  Madison

Offline Tony123

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 01:09:57 am »
Thanks guys. Yip I have started to notice it tapering off (day 7). I also notice that if I drink say a whole glass of water with it, it also helps - used to only take a couple of sips of water with the tablet - my bad :-)
I guess I will leave it as is for now.
Just have a few night sweats but no other side effects.
Will go for Kidney tests in a weeks time to check any effects - lets hope not.
Thanks once again for feedback. Always helps to hear what other people are experiencing as well.

Offline Jay007

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 05:22:11 am »
Hi Tony 123,
I have been on Atripla 5 weeks now. I take mine around 10:00 p.m. I experienced the side effects (slight headache, itchiness - localized places and morning sluggishness around week 2 & 3. It seems the side effects are gone now.
Just hang in there 'am sure you will be fine.
I try to have my dinner between 6 & 7p.m.
All the best.

Offline Tony123

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 07:27:59 am »
Thanks Jay007. Day 9 now - drowsiness has almost gone. Take with a glass of water which helps - before just took a sip of water :-). Taking about 9 or thereabouts and trying to stop eating before 7pm. So seems to be improving. No other side effects.
Thanks for feedback.

Offline Reggie

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 05:58:33 am »
Hi Tony

I am in my 14th week on Atripla  and take it 8pm. It is just in the past 2 weeks I've started to sleep better and still feel a bit overly tired alot of mornings but is much better than a month ago.I've also stayed up late on it and not too bad. I've started juicin green veg as well as regular exercise which I believe help. My appetite great and side effects still there but improving all the time. Hope they improve for you, and my first tests showed the med is doing it's job as VL come down fast and CD4 count went from 79 to over 350 and cd4 % went from 14 to 25. Like to hear your progress as well as new to both of us.

Cheers

Reggie

Offline Tony123

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 01:07:53 am »
Thanks Reggie. Been just over 3 weeks now - slight drowsiness in mornings for a little while but 95% better than when I initially started. Do have interupted sleep but not tired during the day. No other side effects. Had kidney tests done and all is fine. Next tests for VL and CD4 only May so will have to see if things are looking good. Last results before meds were CD4 416 and VL 20 000. So started with meds early. I hope your results keep improving. I am sure your VL with be UD in no time. Need to get back into exercise regime - couldn't do the green veg thing :-) like you. Cheers
Tony

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 07:34:15 am »
I have been taking Atripla in the early evening (6:30ish) for the past 3 years and have not had any issues with that.  My wild and crazy dreams are not as numerous as they once were but still occur from time to time.  This past week I was hanging out with Joan Rivers in LA.... its the fun ones like that I enjoy the most.  My favorite one still is when I hit 750K on a slot machine! 

My ID Spec does not recommend that I switch to a later time... good for me because I really do not stay up too late.  Best of luck!

Offline patoduque

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 08:55:30 pm »
Hi! I started Atripla around one week ago. It was difficult for me to define what time it would be better to take it to minimise side effects and ensure it would not affect me in my job. I ended up taking it by 11:00 pm because usually when I go out for dinner I end by 9:00 pm (then I have my 2 hours with no food before). Then, after 11:00 pm I know I'm not going to eat more and I can sleep while all side effects happen. Lucky me, I can say I have only had vivid dreams occasionally and felt dizzy the first days. So far, so good!

Offline Tony123

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 01:30:42 am »
Thanks all. Its been 5 weeks now and the side effects have all but gone. I do sometimes wake up and feel a uneasy - so have a piece of chocolate to give sugar rush and then 100% fine - maybe I am diabetic :-) (lets hope not). Anyway the only real side effect are the wired dreams - but I think that is a plus as never used to remember my dreams. Thanks all.

Offline IndianPoz

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 02:29:20 am »
The responses in this thread give me a lot of hope.

I started with Atripla 4 days ago, April 7 2014. I'm in India, currently.
The first day I took the pill at 8pm and two hours later had a lot of dizziness. Spoke to my doctor the next morning & he said I can take it later at bedtime or, if I want to, split the pill into two and take one in the morning and one at night to minimize the side-effects.
I chose to take the pill around 10pm the next two nights, with plenty of water. I made sure I finished dinner before 8pm. Dizziness was more manageable since I went off to bed at the first sign.
I have been sleeping fine mostly & don't remember any dreams, if I had any.
Last night I was out with friends & took the pill at 10:30pm with a non-alcoholic lime drink & had lots of water afterwards.

I'm hopeful that the side-effects will go away soon. Morning 'cloudy' feeling has also improved a bit. Keeping all my fingers crossed that in a week or two I will not have to worry or be scared of any night or morning side-effects
3/29/2014: ELISA +ve
4/7/2014: WB confirm; CD4-201(20%);VL-17065;started Trustiva/Teevir(Atripla)
8/2/2014: CD4-385(31%); VL < 20 copies/ml
7/8/2015: CD4-493(30.5%); Undectable
1/3/2016: CD4-527(34.78%); Undetectable
6/16/2016: CD4-439(34.71%); Undetectable

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 05:29:22 am »

if I want to, split the pill into two and take one in the morning and one at night to minimize the side-effects.

DO NOT DO THAT!!! I can't believe you doctor suggested that! Wow, I'd be looking for a different doctor if I had a doctor telling me things like that.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline IndianPoz

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 12:44:50 am »
DO NOT DO THAT!!! I can't believe you doctor suggested that! Wow, I'd be looking for a different doctor if I had a doctor telling me things like that.

Ann: it seems like it is a recommended practice in India - I checked. This particular doctor has been involved in HIV research, with US and other world-wide-institutions for over 20 years now and has been treating HIV for that long. He goes to several HIV conferences all over the world and has presented papers as well. He also is one of the earlier voices who said not to wait for CD4 to reach <350 before starting treatment. So, I'm not sure if I should look for a different doctor :)
However, I'm not listening to him on this issue - I'll continue to take the full pill every night at bedtime.
3/29/2014: ELISA +ve
4/7/2014: WB confirm; CD4-201(20%);VL-17065;started Trustiva/Teevir(Atripla)
8/2/2014: CD4-385(31%); VL < 20 copies/ml
7/8/2015: CD4-493(30.5%); Undectable
1/3/2016: CD4-527(34.78%); Undetectable
6/16/2016: CD4-439(34.71%); Undetectable

Offline Reggie

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 10:43:19 pm »
Thanks Reggie. Been just over 3 weeks now - slight drowsiness in mornings for a little while but 95% better than when I initially started. Do have interupted sleep but not tired during the day. No other side effects. Had kidney tests done and all is fine. Next tests for VL and CD4 only May so will have to see if things are looking good. Last results before meds were CD4 416 and VL 20 000. So started with meds early. I hope your results keep improving. I am sure your VL with be UD in no time. Need to get back into exercise regime - couldn't do the green veg thing :-) like you. Cheers
Tony
Hello Tony I seem to have difficulty posting from mu phone and just found your return message thanks. How's things now? I still having a bit of problems with sleep main side effect. Also due for tests in May. Keep in touch nice to co-herse as on the same med. Cheers, Reggie

Offline Reggie

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 10:45:29 pm »
Ok

Offline Tony123

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 12:54:24 am »
Hi Reggie. Sorry for the late late reply. Don't always come on here and have been busy etc.
I still get the dreams but I don't really see that as I side effect. Lately I have had a bit of insomnia but nothing one cant live with. How are you doing?
I did have a recent stint in hospital with inflammation of the nerve. Doc's did all tests and said it was due to immune system building up and body attacking anything undesirable and thus nerve got inflammed. However I seem to be on the mend.

Offline Reggie

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 10:37:25 am »
Hi Tony,

Glad to hear your on the mend and treatment is working. I'm doing a bit better although my sleep still not as good as before taking meds. I'm trying to work on getting myself more tired when do go to sleep. I've also changed from 8 to 9 p.m. taking my med which works better and will probably even move it to 10 or 11 pm as then is usually well away from my meal time by at least 2 hours which I think may help??

I've done my 6 month blood test recently and became undetectable which of course I'm happy for as is the main focus of the treatment. My cd4's leveled out just above 350 at 3 months, then just below 350 at 6 months so was safe to take me off the 2 daily bactrin anti biotic tablets which I'd taken for 6 months since was diagnosed with PCP neumonia and a cd4 count of 79.

I also has problems with the nerves in one of my my ankles in the first months of treatment and could barely walk at times. I think this is a reaction the same as you've had with your nerves from the immune system like you said. All cleared up for now (knock on wood). Thanks for your return message, always nice to hear others experience when on the same treatment.

All the best Tony

Reggie

Offline Tony123

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 01:23:51 am »
Thanks Reggie. Glad you on the mend. Yes, hopefully your nerve problem has gone. Mine is almost gone, however did feel a bit yesterday but have been off anti-inflammatories for 3 days as well. At least for me the meds are working. After first 3 months  - CD up from 460 to 541 and Vl down from 20 000 to UD.

Offline Reggie

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 03:45:48 am »
Glad to hear you've reached UD and your cd4's improving, congragulations Tony.Sounds live your nerve problem is getting better as well, mine came and went for the better part of 2 months so be patient if still feel it a bit. I've not felt anything else in the last 3 months with the nerves in my ankle. The problem originated for me right when I started meds, and at first I tried Ibuprofen but as I was not near my Doctors I got by myself, I took 600 mg. dose, at first felt a bit better but the 2nd and 3rd days didnt get better. When I saw my Doctor the following week I told her and she said no I took too high of a dose of Ibuprofen, I must take 200 mg. 3 times daily.  She presribed it for me and sure enough a day and a half later it cleared up. I did have some more irritation later but taking the 200 mg., Ibubrofen just two times cleared it up and not come back since.

Cheers

Offline atripla_2013

• Diagnoised Jan 2013, start Atripla June 2013
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 07:19:38 am »
Hi Atripla club,

I hope all doing great. I take my pill at 10pm and try to finish dinner around 8pm (sometimes later) for about 12 months.

I found out that an empty stomach and sleeping exactly after taking pill work better for my sleep.

One thing I would like to have discussion:

1. About vivid, dream, nightmare...: I seem to have dream every single of my night sleep which make the sleeping quality down. Any suggestion?

2. Minimize effect on kidney, liver: We know that Atripla (drugs generally) harm them when we have to use them years by year. What is your methods to help these organs?

(I try to drink water, eat healthy... but I want to support my kidney and liver more

Hope your have your sharing.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 07:22:04 am by atripla_2013 »
Male, 30
Diagnoised Jan 2013
July.13: CD4: 351, VL: 85
May.13: CD4: 336, VL: 24100
Start Atripla June 2013
Aug.14: CD4: 650, VL: UD

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 03:55:22 pm »
RE 1: change meds to a non efavirenz (and perhaps non rilpivirine) based combo

2: The evidence for kidney harm on this combo is slight after 6 months

- matt the newt

Now playing: Wimbledon, Djokovic vs Tsonga
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline St Ives

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 03:32:00 am »
Jeff G:
Just out of personal interest only, why do you say to take atripla only in the evening?
I have taken it every morning around 7am with totally no side effects whatsoever.
Am I doing something wrong?
be well.
Nov 2011 cd4,12.vl750k - 138lbs      atripla
Feb 2013 cd4,78.(3%) vl<40  - 160lbs    atripla
May 2014 cd4, 127 (6%) vl<40 -157lbs     atripla

Offline Reggie

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 06:41:36 am »
St. Ives

Just wondering you say you take your Atripla in the morning without any effects?

Do you sleep alright at night?

Just looking at options as most people including myslef take it in the evening but thinking of change of meds from the side effects of the atripla in the future, but maybe try in the morning may be better?

Reggie

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 08:51:37 am »
It will not make a difference to the effectiveness Atripla on what time of day you take it . Many people myself included took it a night to sleep through some of the side effects of the drug . If you can tolerate the drug in the day time then its your choice to take it then . I could not have taken it in the day time because it made me really stoned feeling, so much so I wouldn't want to drive my car . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline St Ives

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 03:19:26 am »
Reggie.
Yes, I used to get the dizzy, stoned feeling. but that went away completely after a couple of years.  My sleeping cycle is unchanged whether taking meds am or pm. The reason I stopped pm is I ate late and then went to bed so now I take on an empty stomach at 7am. If I had something like a greasy bacon sandwich 30 mins later, then yes, I would feel a tad stoned, but my little friend is usually washed down with several mugs of piping hot breakfast tea.   I think I'll put the kettle on.
Nov 2011 cd4,12.vl750k - 138lbs      atripla
Feb 2013 cd4,78.(3%) vl<40  - 160lbs    atripla
May 2014 cd4, 127 (6%) vl<40 -157lbs     atripla

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.