Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:55:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773155
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 203
Total: 204

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Wal-Mart funnies  (Read 10638 times)

Offline randym431

Wal-Mart funnies
« on: September 11, 2009, 08:43:23 am »
Don't know if this has been around. Reminds me of my local wally world... kinda of.

http://peopleofwalmart.com/
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: Wal-Mart funnies
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 08:56:09 am »
Yeah, that is a fun site. There is a Walmart near my house that is not too bad. I won't go to the Super Walmart in Greensboro though. It is like an indoor flea market: loud, dirty, crowded. I half expect to see chickens and goats wandering the aisles. I much prefer Target.

I also prefer Costco to Sams Club. The big difference is the employees. Costco's employees are on the ball: fast, friendly and efficient. Sams Club employees act like zombies.

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 10:47:22 am »
Thanks, Randy!  Some of the pics are hysterical.
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 12:21:13 pm »
Last fall when I posted some anti-wal-Mart stuff, for instance related to the Black Friday stampede, people in this forum said Wal-Mart is where they shop and where they can afford to shop, or the only shop around. 

When I posted the typical left critique of how Wal-Mart is bad for America, people explained they have a different experience and rely on the low prices, etc., and couldn't afford to be politically correct in their shopping choices.

People of Walmart smells of the same left, liberal, middle class condescending attitude to Wal-Mart and its clientele. 
There are certainly tacky people in all sorts of stores, but this site singles out Wal-Mart customers as particularly unfit for public appearance.

So, why is it funny?   

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 04:55:54 pm »

So, why is it funny?  

Oh For Christ's sake ,  Lighten Up.

Good one Randy  Looks like the Super Walmart in Pinellas Park Florida.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 05:03:21 pm »
Funny pics... I can't believe that people actually go out looking like some of these folks do (butt out shorts?).  The pics of raggedy cars ain't that hilarious though.

My fave, the pretty girl with the "penis tight shorts."  She even gave two thumbs up to the camera.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 05:58:17 pm »

Oh For Christ's sake ,  Lighten Up.

Hee (good one Ray).  Those were funny.

Sometimes I do shop at Wal-Mart, but only for food.  I don't buy their clothes, which I've been told are made in sweatshops.  Oh, I've also bought a coffee maker there. 

I think it's well known that Wal-Mart takes some part in human rights abuses (hence why I don't buy their clothes).  But, for some of us, sometimes it is the only place we can afford.  That doesn't make what was posted any less funny. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 06:03:17 pm »
Hee (good one Ray).  Those were funny.

Too bad someone didn't have a camera a couple of weeks ago, while I was in Walmart.  I usually do my food shopping at 3:00 in the morning. After shopping, I was at the register, and looked down for some reason,  only to realize, I had two different shoes on.  :P

They were both black in color , but different styles. Don't even ask me how that happenned  :P

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 06:34:13 pm »
They were both black in color , but different styles. Don't even ask me how that happenned  :P

Heh, probably because you were shopping at 3:00 in the morning.  But you work nightshift, don't you?  Well then, blame it on the dark, you know, that you couldn't make out the different shapes of the shoes.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline mecch

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 06:42:55 pm »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 07:09:11 pm »
Funny pics... I can't believe that people actually go out looking like some of these folks do (butt out shorts?).  The pics of raggedy cars ain't that hilarious though.

My fave, the pretty girl with the "penis tight shorts."  She even gave two thumbs up to the camera.

I thought the car that was smashed in the front with no headlight and a flashlight duck taped to it, was pretty good.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 07:21:27 pm »
I thought the car that was smashed in the front with no headlight and a flashlight duck taped to it, was pretty good.

LOL, how did I miss that one?  That is so ghetto-fab.  Funny indeed  :D
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 07:56:36 pm »
I'm not the only person who has remarked on the mean-spiritedness and potential invasion of privacy:

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1211216/People-Wal-Mart-Dude-I-just-saw-goat-Wal-Mart-New-website-charts-gloriously-absurd-shoppers-worlds-largest-retailer.html

There is nothing mean-spirited about showing pictures of how some people appear when in public.  I know they sell mirrors at WalMart and it seems that maybe more people should buy and use them.  As for invasion of privacy: you are kidding right?  Surely if you go out looking like some of those pictured, you deserve whatever happens, because average people want to shop as well and once you are in public, there is no invasion of privacy, unless someone uses your likeness for profit.

I also think this is a form of societal chastisement, with the hope that some of these people will see themselves and stop being a form of visual pollution.  You forget that this is America.  You have every right to dress how you see fit and if you CHOSE to go out looking like a fright, any resulting embarrassment is yours alone.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 08:08:39 pm »
I read a statistic somewhere (I can't find it) that something like 85% of Americans had shopped at Walmart in the past year. So when we laugh at the people of Walmart we are laughing at ourselves... and I think that is a good thing.

Ford
(who shopped at Walmart 2 weeks ago and probably didn't look fashionable)

Offline randym431

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 09:33:51 pm »
Posting this was an attempt to add some humor.
Actually, I personally love wally world and one of my close best friends works
at one very much like in the photos.
The clerks look as strange as the shoppers, in some cases.
But ALL the clerks, and most the customers, weird as they may look, are the
nicest people.
Walmart, or at least my local wally world, have a real employee-family atmosphere.
While some may dress like a has-been rockstar, or have serious weight issues, they would
give the shirt off their back (or tent   ;)  ), to help you.
A lot of elderly work at my local wally world too.
Seniors retired, struggling to make ends meet. Seniors that should be enjoying
their senior years without the worry and stress of paying high utility bills or taxes.

Yeah some look really really strange, but most are actually "very good people".
I always thought it would be kinda fun to work at wally world,
only for the family/community warmness they all seem to share.
A lot of these people are like family. They really care.

Offline mecch

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 09:52:50 pm »
I grant all your points, and yet I think a good percentage of the people posted on WalMartPeople do not consider themselves ridiculous and deserving of laughter for their trashy bad taste.  The woman with the dick shorts was in on the joke. Some people are "in on it" - purposely playing up their trashiness or eccentricity.  Other people don't "deserve" such mean spirited fun at their expense, because they are not in on it.  They look disturbed, distressed.  Or just fat. Or just poor.  Fashion faux pas seem to be the least of their challenges.

If you are laughing at such bad taste but also shopping at the same store, I would submit that the laughter is not necessarily "laughing at yourself".  Ok sometimes yeah. but also - rather a kind of slumming experience - you're embarrassed or uncomfortable to be in the same place with such trash.  

Or you're laughing just to make a division that although you shop at Wal Mart, you aren't the trashy WallMart customer, "like them".

I know I know its taking it too seriously, but I think the site is a vulgar gesture, by people who have "good taste" or are not trash, about people who are also vulgar.   Even the creators cop to that.

Its multiplying the ugliness that is WalMart.  And see, some people LIKE walmart, like randy just explained, and these are good people. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 09:55:53 pm by mecch »

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 10:08:38 pm »
LOL!  Did you guys see the ones titled" mobile home"( I loved the caption on that one!) and" spoiler", both in the vehicle section?  Really makes you wonder, what the hell the people were thinking?  They must have different inspection criteria in each state?
Not that this would count, but next door to our Walmart, there is a one of the car shops that can "pimp your ride"  and they have a ride on lawn mower without the blade and blade cover, painted camo or something, with small car tires with rims?  What is that about?
I have read that Walmart doesn't treat its employees well, hopefully, that is changing.

Thanks again, Randy!  I definately needed the laughs.

As far as Walmart itself goes, it is what it is, yes, it has it bad points but it also helps a lot of people to either have a job or to being able to buy something they might not otherwise.  I don' think anyone  is saying any of these people are trash( maybe some of the cars should be) but like kilfoile mentioned they should use thier mirrors.  It would take a lot more than someone dressing funny, to make me feel embarrassed or uncomfortable to be in the same place with them.  They all could be the nicest people on the planet, it still doesn't make what they chose to put on any less funny.

Offline mecch

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 06:48:37 am »
Hmm, thats a good point, if you are laughing at the clothes, not the people.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 09:59:05 am »
So, why is it funny?   

To quote Ann's avatar quote "It just is, OK?"

If I go out in public, I expect to be seen.  If I stand out in public, I expect to be noticed.  Maybe some of these folks don't realize how unusual they look.  Finding a pic of their attire while shopping at Wal-Mart probably won't even phase many of them; they likely think what they're wearing is OK.  At any rate, http://peopleofwalmart.com is good.  I can make fewer trips to Wal-mart and still get maximum laughs!

Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 02:50:51 pm »
Finding a pic of their attire while shopping at Wal-Mart probably won't even phase many of them; they likely think what they're wearing is OK.

David, for all we know some of them would probably be quite proud to see themselves being featured.  Their rock-star status being validated and all ("Hey babe do I look hot or what?").

I for one am a strong opponent of any form of elitism (and don't appreciate it when anyone's mocked for whatever disadvantage), but I simply can't say that this is what the website is particularly promoting.  Clearly those who take the pics shop at Wal-Mart (and who, besides Paris Hilton, hasn't at some point); they just happen to run into some colourful characters.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 05:15:27 pm »

I didn't know they had Wal-marts in New Zealand.  Anyone notice Anniebc in the frozen food section looking might sexy in a black dress?!?!?

[attachment deleted by admin]
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 05:31:37 pm »

I didn't know they had Wal-marts in New Zealand.  Anyone notice Anniebc in the frozen food section looking might sexy in a black dress?!?!?

My, my Jan.  Getting a little trampy, aren't we? ;)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 12:38:51 am »
LOL very funny Skeebo/BT...actually that was taken when I went into my first evah Walmart in Portland... ;)

I was dying to get in and have a look around and poor RAB was dying to get out in case anyone recoginised him.. :D.

I was in full "Tramp" mode that day... :D ;)

Thanks Randy for a good laugh..some of those photo's are priceless..I agree with David
If I go out in public, I expect to be seen.  If I stand out in public, I expect to be noticed

Hugs
Jan :-*
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 01:08:23 am by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 10:02:58 am »
I thought it was hilarious.   I see this kind of stuff on a weekly basis at our local Wal-Mart.   I may need to submit some pics....

I don't think it's necessarily about being 'poor', but about how you choose to appear in public.   Now, I will run in there in shorts, baseball shirt, and baseball cap and sneakers....but some of those get-ups are absurd.   You can't stroll around in a store, half naked, weighing 300+ pounds, and expect someone NOT to take notice.

I live in AL, which I believe is either the 2nd or 3rd "heaviest" state, nationwide.   You would not believe the number of obese people in this town.   The young girls, who are WAY too big to be wearing skimpy revealing clothes, seem to favor the crop-tops, that show their lower ab rolls, along with the low-slung jeans that make it worse.....

The "poop in the pants" shots are a bit much, but hey, it's happened to a lot of us (me included).   I say if you can't laugh at yourself, your life is too sad.   That's part of my philosophy as a LTS - laughter is indeed good medicine.

Hugs,
Alan  ;D
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline randym431

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 09:13:47 am »
I just realized they add more pictures all the time.
I havent looked since I posted and there are more photos.

I think i agree, the costumes are the thing fun to look at here, and too, parents with the kids.
Plus... what were these people thinking to dress that way?
 I sent this to my friend that works at wally world. He told me he laughed till his eyes watered.
He claimed he's seen worse at his store. Thats a bit scary...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 09:15:26 am by randym431 »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.