Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:53:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 232
Total: 233

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Insertive top - anal. Pep?  (Read 12161 times)

Offline Melb4ever

• Standard
Insertive top - anal. Pep?
« on: March 19, 2011, 09:17:47 pm »
I'm a gay male. I had anal sex with anonymous guy. I was the insertive (top) and my condom broke. I only noticed it after sometime and it was completely ripped and on the bottom of the penis. I didn't see any blood when I pulled out. I saw something red but it didn't look like blood, more like feces. I asked him of his HIV status and he told me he was negative. I really got freaked out when the condom broke. I started pep after 43 hours. I don't know if I really needed pep for this exposure and what are the risks. I only been on pep for 4 days and the side effects are really bad. I'm taking 3 pills in the morning and 3 pills at night and I only weigh 130lbs.  and I really don't want to continue. I'm not big on medecine and I try to avoid it as much as I can unless it's an an emergency. What do you think? Thanks!  Btw..I'm circumcised, also the neighborhood he lives in has high rate of HIV+. He also used poppers.
I live in NYC.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 09:41:03 pm by Melb4ever »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Insertive top - anal. Pep?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 09:58:29 pm »
Hi Mel,

It's not unusual to have those kinds of strong side effects from PEP. They are powerful drugs.

The condom will have protected you until it broke. The risk for the insertive partner is lower than for the receptive one. And this was a single incident. All of those factors are in your favor against transmission having occured if the guy is positive.

You are going to have to weigh the pros and cons and decide about continuing PEP. Your risk was relatively low, but low is not the same as no risk.

You can test initially at 6 weeks after completing PEP and at 13 weeks after for a hopefully conclusive negative result.

I will say that of all the reports I have known where the condom has broken, I have never known the insertive partner to have become infected that way. But like I said low risk is not the same as no risk. It has to be your call on this one.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Andy Velez

Offline Melb4ever

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 11:09:09 pm »
Thanks for the response Andy, appreciated. I think I might stop the medication cause the symptoms are really unbearable and I'm pretty much suffering. The nausea is really bad and doesn't go away. :/

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 08:03:56 am »
OK, then go with that. You can get tested initially at 6 weeks from when you stop the PEP. Assuming you test negative at that point as is likely, then you will very likely continue to test negative at 13 weeks.

Good luck with your results. Keep us posted.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:06:32 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Melb4ever

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 10:42:32 pm »
I decided to continue taking medication. I was wondering..what do the medicines do in your body if you dont have HIV virus to start with?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 09:09:52 am »
Well those are strong drugs so you may or may not continue to have side effects. If you want to know anything more specifically you should discuss that with the doctor who prescribed for you.

The odds are in your favor that you will come out of this ok.
Andy Velez

Offline Melb4ever

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 01:19:13 pm »
I apologize for my indecisiveness but I think I might stop the medication. I have took it for 2 weeks...I know that 28 days what you got to aim for. It's getting harder and harder to take the medication with each day passing by. Just the thought of medicines makes me physically nauseous..it's really bad :/ I know that I'm supposed to talk with my doctor about this but he told me to try my best to take as much as I can. Just hope everything will turn out fine with the results. This been a really rough time for me since I'm very active guy.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 02:31:54 pm »
OK, just remember that you start counting the waiting time to testing from when you stop the medications. You can do an initial test at 6 weeks from whenever you stop PEP. Assuming you receive a negative result then you will very likely continue to test negative at 13 weeks.
Andy Velez

Offline Melb4ever

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 02:35:26 pm »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 02:50:27 pm »
You're welcome. Good luck.
Andy Velez

Offline Melb4ever

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 02:21:58 pm »
I have stopped taking medication 2 weeks ago. 2 days ago I have developed flu like symptoms and I haven't had flu for years. I'm gonna get checked in 2 weeks but I'm really worried that I might be infected...I'm feeling really scared. The symptoms that I have are stomach pain, nausea, chills, headache, congested, soar muscles and throat a little itchy. I should of continued medications for 28 days. :(

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 03:11:16 pm »
And those symptoms mean nothing in terms of your knowing your HIV status accurately. They are not in anyway HIV specific symptoms.

The point when you can get an accurate, conclusive negative result is 13 weeks from when you stopped taking PEP. You can do an initial test at 6 weeks after stopping PEP. If that result is negative you will likely continue to test negative.   
Andy Velez

Offline Melb4ever

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 01:20:02 am »
This is a new incident that happened about 44 hours ago. I met a guy at the bar and went to his house. We had a bit of oral sex both insertive and receptive. After a bit of oral sex, I asked him of his HIV status and he told me he was negative. So we were about to have anal sex, me being bottom and him top. At first he was rubbing his penis against my butt and kinda pressing against my butt. Afterwards, he put a condom on and put silicone based lube on it. He tried to go inside me and as he was going inside me...it started to hurt as I have hemmoroid. So I pulled out right away cause of the pain. When I pulled out, he noticed condom broke. So we proceeded with mutual masturbation and both ejaculated. I'm kinda worried about this incident because he did go inside me for a sec and of course I took his penis out right away because of the pain. What do you guys think is the risk here? Is there need for pep? Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 01:37:43 am by Melb4ever »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 08:59:06 am »
If it was really as brief an incident as you have reported, then no, I don't think PEP is necessary.

Keep things simple. You should always be using water-based lube with a condom.  

You can for your peace of mind get tested at 13 weeks to confirm your negative status.

What is troubling is that you still seem to be basing your actions on what the other person says about their HIV status. That's a big mistake. You should always be taking the precautions as if you know the person is HIV+. That means always using a condom for intercourse. No exceptions.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 09:04:01 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Melb4ever

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 09:49:05 am »
Thanks Andy for your reply. It was a brief incident. Even though I asked of other person's HIV status...I always use condoms regardless if their negative or positive. My mistake was not using water based lube and I also think the tip of the condom had air. Btw..I'm still in touch with the guy..since the time is kind of running out for pep..I really wanted to ask him of his HIV status again but not sure how to approach that situation since he already told me his HIV status during sex.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 10:10:41 am »
Pursuing him further about his status is not a good idea. You need to base your decision about PEP on what you think was the level of risk. Consult with your doctor if you want to. I don't think PEP is warranted based on what you have reported, but you are the one who has to live with the decision so it's up to you. And if you are going to do PEP you need to get moving on it pretty quickly.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 10:11:25 am »
Mel,

When a condom breaks that quickly, it usually is because of an air bubble. When a condom breaks due to the kind of lube used, it usually take a bit of time.

Please always give the condom a firm downward stroke while watching the tip for air before any insertion takes place. Do this when you're the one wearing the condom - AND when it's your partner wearing it. Make sure you or your partner pinches the tip between finger and thumb when rolling it down - that's how you stop the air getting trapped.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Melb4ever

• Standard
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 02:03:24 am »
Thanks guys! I decided not to take PEP. Hopefully I'll come out ok out of this. I don't know..I've been kind of worried..it's kinda stressing me out. :(

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.