Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:41:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 335
Total: 335

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: lied to my doctor about prophylaxis antibiotics  (Read 4454 times)

Offline zach

lied to my doctor about prophylaxis antibiotics
« on: August 11, 2011, 11:02:58 pm »
when i was dx'd last year, i had already developed pcp. when i got out of the hospital i was put on prophylactic antibiotics and told to continue taking them until told otherwise, namely once my cd4 count was to an acceptable level. bactrim once a day, azithromax once a week. and atripla once a day, which i will continue to take religiously.

however, a couple of ago months ago, without medical consultation, i stopped taking zithrow and bactrim. there are multiple reasons, but mostly it had to do with my stomachs reaction to them. the linked article has really been more about rationalizing it to myself. i went looking for a point of view that supported my choice.

last month i met with my doc, did the labs thing, reflected on the past year... but what i didn't do, was tell him i had stopped taking the antibiotics.

this is more a confession than anything, i'm not really looking for answers, but if anyone has comments i'm openminded

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199312233292604

Offline emeraldize

Re: lied to my doctor about prophylaxis antibiotics
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 12:04:03 am »
I wouldn't call it lying. It was omitted from the discussion and you didn't mention being asked if you were still taking them. Looking at the steady rise in your CD4 counts, I would be inclined (were I you) to bring it up at the next quarterly visit and definitely give him a copy of the article.

A good discussion may occur. I sense you're fearful or concerned about your doc's reaction. I would not assume your doc has seen the NEJM article. Most important, though, is that he does need to know that you're not taking the antibiotics as prescribed, that you are taking the ARVs and when (roughly) you stopped. That way your medical record can be accurate and it gives him an opportunity to understand why you made the decision.

Imagine you were the doc---you would want to know, wouldn't you? It may add a new dimension to your relationship. He should respect your decision and honesty.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 12:56:40 am »
you could have told you doctor that you were having problems with these meds and let him prescribe an alternative medication. ;)

It's not a wrong or a lie - or a failure - on your part to admit to having side effects and ask for a different medication. However, it doesn't help your doctor to properly treat you to take matters into your own hands and self-dose (or in this case no-dose) yourself and then to lie (or lie by omission) about remaining on the prescribed treatment.

While antibiotics may be more forgiving about self-dosing changes, many other kinds of medications like anti-psychotics and antiretrovirals can not be done this way. With antiretrovirals, you run a severe risk of virological failure and/or resistance issues.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 04:51:32 am »
When a doctor treats someone for a serious health challenge and the treatment involved many visits and the patient accepts the prescribed medicine but doesn't take it and doesn't tell the doctor, it is dishonest communication and not fair to the doctor.  Also a clear lack of trust in the doctor and/or medicine. 

The doctor is doing his/her job, applying knowledge from the profession to an individual. 

Just tell your doctor what you can get with, and can't, and go forward with full communication. The doctor might find an work around to accommodate the patient's choices.   
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 09:53:44 am »
and atripla once a day, which i will continue to take religiously.

The OP stated he is taking his ARVs. It's the antibiotics he's opting not to take.

Offline zach

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 08:07:22 pm »
thank you all for the input, it is appreciated and i will give it thought. i realize i was optimistic, i hoped and thought i'd be done with all the "just in case" meds at the year mark.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 10:53:34 pm »
i realize i was optimistic, i hoped and thought i'd be done with all the "just in case" meds at the year mark.
I was on Bactrim for a full decade. It took me that long to consistently get over 200 cd4s. God knows after being hospitalized with PCP one yr and then with pneumonia 2 yrs later, even when I wasn't adherent to my meds or had serious times dealing with side effects, I kept taking the Bactrim cause I sure didn't want to end up in the hospital with PCP ever again. Pneumonia is probably the #1 issue that pushes sick people to their deaths (especially those already in the hospital), so it's definitely not something to take for granted.

I think others (like MissP maybe) were also on prophylaxis for quite a long time (as in yrs and yrs); and some people (like HellRaiser I think) are still on PCP prophylaxis after several years.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 11:04:02 pm »

I think others (like MissP maybe) were also on prophylaxis for quite a long time (as in yrs and yrs)

No, I think I was only on it for 18 months. I developed an allergic reaction to Bactrim, but my numbers were close enough to where they needed to be by that time. Keep in mind that unlike the OP I was not diagnosed with 8 tcells, but more like 160. If you're diagnosed in the single or double digits it's not realistic to set an artificial time limit of a year on Bactrim in your head, that's the big problem I see here.

If the OP keeps his 220 result there or above for the next two readings he's not really in danger, though I personally would have stayed on it for a bit longer.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 01:30:27 am »
No, I think I was only on it for 18 months. I developed an allergic reaction to Bactrim,
ah, ok. I know it took you some time to get to UD and such, so I thought I remembered you on bactrim for a while. (I'll blame my faulty memory on all the excitement of packing for the AM gathering ;D )

Regardless, it's not unheard of for it to take longer than a year to obtain substanial recovery. Studies have shown too that a very low nadir of tcells (ie <25) usually requires a much longer recovery period plus a more limited recovery. (which means the OP should never expect to see 500-700 tcells. Although possible, studies show that kind of recovery is unlikely. Recovery somewhere in the range of 250-450 is much more likely.)

Just like it doesn't always take 10yrs from infection to AIDS, all these time limits are generalized and arbitrary because HIV is a much more individualized disease than people give it credit for.

If the OP keeps his 220 result there or above for the next two readings he's not really in danger
yeppers. It's all about the trends  - and one test doesn't constitute a trend. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.