Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:23:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773290
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 673
Total: 675

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: DECLINE IN CD4 COUNT DESPITE SUSTAINED UNDETECTABLE VIRAL LOAD  (Read 9379 times)

Offline jwmosier

Hello.  Both my partner and I are relatively newly diagnosed.  My question actually pertains to a potential downward trend in my partner's CD4 count.  He has been dealing with this slightly longer than myself and has been on treatment for almost two years.  Since initiating treatment, his viral load has remained consistently undectectable.  During his last couple of visists however, his CD4 counts seems to have taken some significant dips.  His doctor is less than forthcoming with comprehensive explanations, so I've taken to the web. 

In January his CD4 count was 509, accompanied by an undectable viral load.  In April, his CD4 count dropped to 312, again with an udectectable viral load.  His doctor at that point noted no concern due to the viral load.  At his follow-up today, he learned that his CD4 count fell slightly more to 289, but his viral load remained udectectable.  His doctor continued to remain unconcerned at this time due to his CD4 percentage actually rising from 24% to 26% since his visit three months ago. 

From what I can read, the percentage appears to be more of a stable and reliable indicator of immune system integrity.  It is likely that this CD4 "dip" is a normal variation, and this is flat-out paranoia to be concerned at this stage in the process.  Regardless, I cope better with more information as opposed to less.  Does anyone have any insight?  Are these normal CD4 fluctations?  What consitutes a genuine downward trend?  Even with a sustained undectectable viral load, would this precipitous drop not be of some clinical significance?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated for a relative newcomer coping with this entirely inappropriate disease. 

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 08:32:42 pm by jwmosier »

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: DECLINE IN CD4 COUNT DESPITE SUSTAINED UNDETECTABLE VIRAL LOAD
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 03:26:33 am »
The doc doesn't know, because no-one is quite sure why this happens, hence his silence I guess...

Discordant CD4 cell count and viral load responses is a useful summary.

It is possible that the CD4 COUNT was higher than it should be for the CD4 % because of the body having other nasties present that, after treatment, the immune system has had time to deal with. Some other conditions/infections are also known to deplete/suppress CD4, as do, for example does chronic use of some recreational drug (legal and illegal).  But, I wouldn;t be too concerned right now. CD4 counts have a life of their own.  The important news here is that the % is good and the count stable at around 300, which is all you need really for a functional immune system. 

If it declines further, by more than 50, then be concerned. There is little your partner can do about this except get an exhaustive screening for possible infections/conditions/agents that might account for a drop in CD4, and perhaps, if not already on one, switch to a PI based combo, since these seem to give better long-term rises in CD4 counts than non-nuke (eg Sustiva) based treatment.

Undetectable viral load is predictive of a good long-term outcome.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline jwmosier

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 10:17:44 am »
Thank you very much for your insight Matt.  The article you referenced was informative, as well.  We live a pretty "clean" lifestyle and are relatively domestic, so it wouldn't be an effect from legal or illicit drug use.  I figured it wasn't anything to be too alarmed over, but, like I said, more information is better for my coping strategy. 

He's approached the subject of his regimen (Combivir & Viramune) a couple of times with his Doc.  I've noted concerns over the AZT component in Combivir.  The Doc discouraged him from making any changes, such as replacing Combivir with Epzicom or Truvada. His take was to wait and see if side effects begin to develop before switching (Interesting approach, I thought).  If need be, we can talk about a new practitioner who is more open to dialogue, discussion, and comprehensive feedback.  It's all about the right fit, I suppose.

Anyway, your feedback was encouraging and made good sense.  We'll focus on the undetectable viral load, the slight increase in percentage, and, at least, a stable CD4 count.  Thanks again!

Be well,
JM

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 10:45:30 am »
Under the circumstances, I would re-visit the idea of swapping Combivir for Truvada or Epzicom, n ridding yourselves of AZT.  The right time to switch to avoid long-term AZT side-effects is before they happen...

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.