Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:45:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 161
Total: 161

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Selenium  (Read 17804 times)

Offline Bradly1962

• My Personal Site
Selenium
« on: August 30, 2006, 12:06:44 am »
I saw this article via the weekly 'TheBodyPositive' newsletter: http://www.thebody.com/

http://aidsmap.com/en/news/1A45A664-23B6-427B-8C44-717A5F3A0509.asp

I started taking it (200mcg/day) about a week ago, and have already noticed a decrease in diarrea. I guess I'm absorbing more of what I eat. I'll see if it makes a difference in my numbers in October.

~B
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 12:10:18 am by Bradly1962 »
Ignorance Breeds Intolerance And Intolerance Breeds Ignorance:::::Envision Whirled Peas!

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: Selenium
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 12:27:41 am »
i was told that men need more selenium than women

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 07:36:31 am »
Hello Bradley,

Yes, I had seen that article also.Thanks for the link and like usual it had me wondering....

I also bought the 200mcg, and started on it about two weeks ago. Will see what happens. Interestingly, there was this article from "The Body" It goes back to April of 2003 :

Selenium and HIV
Controversy remains over using selenium in people with HIV. Selenium is a toxic substance that gets spread into the environment through the burning of fossil fuel and other industrial processes. Trace amounts of it is often found in drinking water. Symptoms from consuming too much selenium include brittleness and loss of hair and nails, skin redness, blisters, vomiting, fatigue, neurological defects and damage to the liver and spleen.
Trace amounts of selenium are in the foods we eat. At these low levels, selenium is essential for proper immune function. The US Recommended Daily Allowance of selenium (all ages and genders) is 55 micrograms (mcg). Levels are slightly higher for pregnant (60mcg) and lactating (70mcg) women. The Institute of Medicine has proposed that the maximum daily intake before causing toxic effects is roughly 400mcg for adults ??? ???

I will try it for a little while... I have noticed a slight increase in fatigue lately, but no other symptoms as indicated above.

Take Care------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Bradly1962

• My Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 09:27:13 am »
Hello Bradley,

Interestingly, there was this article from "The Body" It goes back to April of 2003 :

Selenium and HIV
Controversy remains over using selenium in people with HIV. Selenium is a toxic substance that gets spread into the environment through the burning of fossil fuel and other industrial processes. Trace amounts of it is often found in drinking water. Symptoms from consuming too much selenium include brittleness and loss of hair and nails, skin redness, blisters, vomiting, fatigue, neurological defects and damage to the liver and spleen.
Trace amounts of selenium are in the foods we eat. At these low levels, selenium is essential for proper immune function. The US Recommended Daily Allowance of selenium (all ages and genders) is 55 micrograms (mcg). Levels are slightly higher for pregnant (60mcg) and lactating (70mcg) women. The Institute of Medicine has proposed that the maximum daily intake before causing toxic effects is roughly 400mcg for adults ??? ???

I've never heard of it being 'a toxic substance that gets spread into the environment through the burning of fossil fuel and other industrial processes'.

It's an element (on the periodic table) that is found in nature. My capsules indicate that theirs is derived from yeast.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts92.html

"What is selenium?
Selenium is a naturally occurring mineral element that is distributed widely in nature in most rocks and soils. In its pure form, it exists as metallic gray to black hexagonal crystals, but in nature it is usually combined with sulfide or with silver, copper, lead, and nickel minerals."
Ignorance Breeds Intolerance And Intolerance Breeds Ignorance:::::Envision Whirled Peas!

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 11:18:12 am »
Hello Bradley,

If you go here :

http://www.thebody.com/pinf/herbs.html#selenium

And scroll down to just about the bottom, it will list differant food and the selenium content ( micrograms)in each if your interested also.

The Best----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 11:00:21 am »
Its funny this should come up now.

Back in the pre-med days, my doc had me take 200 mcg of selenium daily. It was theorized it would strengthen the immune system.

I took it for years. I don't know whether it helped, but, apparently, it didn't hurt.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 11:08:05 am »

Her's a couple more links I found regarding Selenium. I thought these links gave some useful information ;

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/HerbsWho/0,3923,4034%7CSelenium,00.html

Also this one: ( lot of reading here, but informative...

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-selenium.html

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline zebulon303

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 03:54:54 am »
I have been taking 200mcg of selenium for the past 2-3 months, and I will get my labs result in a couple of days ... I will keep you posted ....

Offline zebulon303

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 04:01:48 am »
I thought I should mention this interesting news also:

http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=8506220439

2006-09-13

Iran's AIDS-Control Drug under Final Approval

TEHRAN (Fars News Agency)- Iran's Deputy Health Minister said that SCP, the first Iranian drug for controlling the Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) is now at the stage of receiving the final approval.

Speaking to FNA here on Wednesday, Rasoul Dinarvand said that SCP is a natural drug and not a vaccine, and added that the drug strengthens the immunity system of the body and, thus, increases the resistance of the HIV-infected bodies against secondary infections.

He said the drug can boost the immunity level of the body (cd4) for a specific period of time, which is currently from 9 to 12 months, stating that the efficiency period of the drug may be increased even more in future.

The health official stressed, "SCP may not destroy HIV or clean the virus off the infected bodies, as no other drug has ever succeeded in doing so, because HIV is a hard resisting virus and it chooses to stay in those parts of the body where medicine can hardly reach."

Iran announced a week ago that its scientists have made a magic success by synthesizing a new drug which can control the Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome know as the killer AIDS.

The drug is completely new to the world markets and laboratories and is a result of lengthy laboratory works and researches conducted by the Iranian scientists.

Officials have declared that the detailed information about the drug would soon be released during a magnificent ceremony to be thrown at the honor of the team of researchers who have brought more honor and glory for Iran and more hope for the world community.

The ceremony will be attended by the President, the Health Minister and a number of other ministers and officials as well as foreign ambassadors and diplomats residing in Iran.

The drug tests have shown that SCP can upgrade the immunity level of the body and play a vitally effective role in the treatment of AIDS patients, yet Iranian health officials insist that the drug should be considered as a secondary vaccine miraculously good for those infected with HIV, because it stops any further growth of the disease."

The drug is said to be containing the element of Selenium and free from side effects.

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 01:32:09 pm »
"the MAGIC success..."  ??? Direct inspiration from Ala!
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline zebulon303

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 02:33:01 pm »
I know it sounds suspicious, but hey, that gives another hint about the usage of selenium, that's all ...  ;)

Offline zebulon303

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 05:46:29 am »
Well the result are here ... no change at all ... I am quite disappointed, I was very hopefull with that ...

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 02:46:52 pm »
I think atomic bomb technology is much more interesting for them.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.

Offline fearless

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 08:21:02 pm »
I do take a selenium supplement (50 mcg a day), but I try and boost my natural selenium intake. You only need about 4 brazil nuts a day to get all the selenium you require.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 03:07:58 pm »
I started on a vitamin programme yesterday. I'm taking 200mcg of selenium as part of that. That's really interesting that brazil nuts contain so much selenium - from what Steve said (Hi Steve!) and from one of Ray's links (thanks Ray!) - didnt know that, I'm learning as I go along!

Does anyone know if I have a few brazil nuts (which I quite like) as well as taking my supplement, will I be getting too much selenium and is that a bad thing? Does it make a difference to dosage levels if we get our intake naturally through food or through supplements?

Melia :)
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 12:14:51 pm »
You guys should read this forum. Interesting opinions.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=408921
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 08:52:16 am »

More on selenium, from medpage today :

http://www.medpagetoday.com/InfectiousDisease/HIVAIDS/dh/4903

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 05:53:25 pm »
Hello ,

Since we had another thread running regarding selenium, I thought I would put that link up here in this thread also ;

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=8189.0

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 09:22:48 am »
Thank you Ray for the great link. I will take SELENOPRECISE from PharmaNord (Denmark) again. I am not taking any suplements right now.

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 11:56:15 am »
Hey Guys,

I just had my 4th round of labs done and my numbers had declined some  CD4 was 354 and VL 28,000.   My doctor still recomends not taking meds at this time.

I read the study showing selenium increased CD4 and decreased VL so just started it about a week ago.  Ironically, I've felt like I have had improved energy and I have seen no bad effects.   I don't know if it's a coincidence or maybe it does help a bit.   I'm gona continue since I didn't see any negative effects.

I remember there being a murder case where a woman was poisoned with selenium, but it wasn't from vitamins.  Her ex husband had been aquiring it out of old transistor radios and putting it in her coffee.  I think there is a dangerous form made with metals or lead or something that's toxic.    At least I thought that is what he gave her.   

Anyways, Walgreens had their vitamins on sale buy one, get one free so the 200mg/ 100 bottle was 7.99 and you got the 2nd one for free. 

I am not a huge vitamin taker, but so far it seems like it might be a benefit to me.

Wesley
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2007, 12:05:07 pm »
I'll buy a bottle because anything good for the immune system is fine with me. I'll get those 200mcg. and take them leaving a day between intakes with my regular multi vitamin regimen.
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline minus_25

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 06:36:35 pm »

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2007, 07:18:58 pm »
Hey Minus,

I don't think any of us are promoting Selinium as an alternative to HAART.    That link is someone asking that question.   No one would say that. 

For those who want to read the details and make up their own decision here is the study and it's results:

Access this story and related links online: http://www.kaisernetwork.org/daily_reports/rep_index.cfm?DR_ID=42407

The dietary supplement selenium can reduce HIV viral loads and
increase CD4+ T cell counts in HIV-positive people, according to
a study published in the Jan. 22 issue of the Archives of
Internal Medicine, the Los Angeles Times reports (Chong, Los
Angeles Times, 1/23). Selenium is a mineral found in many foods
and sold as a supplement for less than $10 per one-month supply.
It helps regulate the thyroid and the immune system and creates
antioxidants that protect the body from molecules that can
damage cells, the Miami Herald reports. Previous studies have
found that HIV-positive people with low selenium levels are at
an increased risk of a wide range of health conditions
(Goldstein, Miami Herald, 1/23). For the study, Barry Hurwitz, a
professor of psychology and medicine at the University of Miami,
and colleagues randomly assigned 262 HIV-positive adults with
normal selenium levels to take either a placebo pill or a 200
microgram capsule of high-selenium yeast for nine months,
Reuters Health reports (Gale, Reuters Health, 1/22). Only 174 of
the participants completed the nine-month follow-up period
(Hurwitz et al., Archives of Internal Medicine, 1/22). According
to the Times, about two-thirds of the participants were taking
antiretroviral drugs and about one-third of the participants
were not. The study, which was funded by NIH, found that for the
50 participants who regularly took the selenium pills, HIV viral
loads decreased an average of 10,000 viral particles per
milliliter of blood, or by 12%, after nine months. The
researchers also found an average CD4 increase of 30 cells per
microliter of blood among the participants who regularly took
selenium. According to Hurwitz, selenium had a positive effect
among participants on antiretrovirals regardless of which drugs
the participants were taking. Among the 83 participants in the
placebo group, viral loads increased by 10,000 to 20,000 viral
particles per milliliter of blood and CD4 cells decreased by
about 30 cells per microliter in the same time period, the study
found. Forty-one participants were classified as "nonresponders"
because they did not adhere to their selenium schedule or
because of gastrointestinal problems that prevented them from
absorbing the mineral, the Times reports. This group had the
same results as the placebo group, the study found.

Reaction, Next Steps

"What [selenium] appears to do is make [HIV] more docile, less
virulent and less likely to replicate," Hurwitz said (Los
Angeles Times, 1/23). He added that selenium is "a simple,
inexpensive and safe adjunct therapy" (Miami Herald, 1/23).
Jeffrey Blumberg, a nutrition professor at Tufts University,
said that because selenium appears to be beneficial and to have
no negative side effects, it can be used in conjunction with
traditional therapies. Jeffrey Lennox, principle investigator
for Emory University's HIV Clinical Trials Unit, said selenium's
effect appears to be smaller than a variation that can be seen
in some people living with HIV/AIDS from week to week. The
supplement likely does not have wide scale implications in the
U.S. because of the availability of therapies that are aimed at
reducing viral loads to undetectable levels, according to
Lennox. He added, "The conclusions are intriguing, but they
don't change current medical practice. In people not receiving
optimum therapy, selenium might be a benefit." According to the
Times, the researchers are analyzing data on selenium's effects
beyond nine months, and Hurwitz said the effects likely are long
lasting (Los Angeles Times, 1/23). The study is available
online.
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline bimazek

Re: Selenium SELENIUM ... SELENIUM ... SELENIUM ... SELENIUM ...
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 10:36:57 pm »
i am TAKING

READ THIS TO FIND OUT WHY... BRAND NEW DISCOVERY OF PROTEIN...

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=8475.0

SELENIUM ... SELENIUM ... SELENIUM ... SELENIUM ... SELENIUM ... SELENIUM ... SELENIUM ...

SELENIUM ... SELENIUM ... SELENIUM ...

SELENIUM ...

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2007, 07:52:11 am »

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline ajm_ldn

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2007, 10:06:02 am »
Another thank you to Bimazek.  I checked my vitamins and noticed (to my surprise) only 50mg of selenium per daily dose.  English grown food is low in selenium so I've now got special selenium tablets to ensure I get my RDA!   :)

Offline dyingYOUNG19

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 07:06:02 am »
i have Selenium too in my Vitamins...

i think it's working!
there were two GREATEST DAYS in your LIFE:
The day you were born; and
the day you knew why...

I will live this DAY as if my LAST. This DAY is ALL I HAVE and these HOURS are my ETERNITY...

Offline northernguy

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 01:49:43 am »
I went out and got my 1st bottle.  We'll see if it works.  Is this new Iranian med delivered at the tip of a warhead, in suppository form :o
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline Zanarkand

• All Your Base Are Belong To Us
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2007, 09:26:27 am »
Selenium is a good micro-nutrient
I definitely noticed a difference when I started eating foods high in Selenium.
I used to take the suppliments but they seemed to be overkill on the RDA scale.
I used to suffer insomnia because of it. Today though I get it all fresh.
On a normal day I normally eat an egg, spinach and a few nuts... even in one dish
More than enough selenium for one day.
I recon you can't go wrong with it.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.