Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:31:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 631
Total: 631

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: waiting for hiv results......risk to baby  (Read 13682 times)

Offline confuzed

• Standard
waiting for hiv results......risk to baby
« on: March 24, 2015, 03:11:26 pm »
Hi, I am a male,  in my ninth week of waiting period, with a negative on sixth week. Meanwhile I really want to know how to handle my kid situation. She is eleven months old. Yesterday while she was playing with me, she put her hands on my pant to hold for support and then later,she put her hand in her mouth, actually thumb, which is her habit. I later realized my pants had a liquid mark, probably my precum, or some discharge which happens to me if I don't masturbate for some days before. Please tell me the risk of my child. The stain on my pants looked wet so it might have been less than minutes old. Should I take her to pep treatment? Please let me know. I know adults dont have any risk, but a child even with little virus on her hands might have a risk when she put in mouth?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: waiting for hiv results......risk to baby
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 03:41:35 pm »
What was your risk ? … please be specific .

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is primarily transmitted INSIDE the human body, as in UNPROTECTED anal or vaginal intercourse where the virus never leaves the confines of the two bodies. Once hiv finds itself outside the body, small changes in temperature, and pH and moisture levels all quickly damage the virus and render it unable to infect. You need not worry about infecting your child in the manner you are concerned with .

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI.Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence .

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 07:20:58 pm »
Thanks for the reply. My risk was unprotected vaginal with an unknown status woman. I had all flu like symptoms and night sweats for more than two weeks beginning at third week maybe.

So you are sure that my child has no risk? What if it was semen? And if it wasnt dried? I immediately went to restroom and cleaned my penis and it looked normal and not white in color. But I m still scared. How efficient is pep in children? Please let me know. I am very scared.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 07:54:21 pm »
WOW! Are you mixing things up or what . Take a breath, no kidding.

First of all, with a negative at 6 weeks after a single risky incident, you will almost certainly test conclusively negative at 3 months.

Your baby was not at risk and your pants or hands could have been covered in sperm and vaginal fluids and whatever still not have put the baby at risk. HIV is a fragile virus and is not passed in the ways you are worrying about.

It's your guilt and not HIV science that is driving your worries. Cut it out. Really.

I expect you to come out of this ok. 
Andy Velez

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 12:00:14 pm »
Thanks Andy. I just got my 3rd gen 7th week results as negative. I took it from stdtestexpress.com and they ordered it in quest diagnostics. They say it as conclusive and I can be extremely confident of my result.  But I developed a mouth sore today, at the end of tenth week.

Could you please tell me if I need additional testing.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 12:20:01 pm »
Your 7th week negative result is unlikely to change.  If you are still unsure, you can test at 12 weeks to confirm the results.

Joe

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 09:25:24 am »
I have one more question. I had a minor surgery before the exposure....3 days before. Would that affect antibody production? I was given general anaesthesia and have a wound to be healed after surgery, which is still healing. Thanks.

P.s. I wasnt prescribed any medication though.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 09:42:11 am »
Your surgery would not affect your HIV test .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 11:16:54 pm »
Thank you. Please don't mind me asking another question about symptom. I'm developing sores in and around mouth in this tenth..eleventh weeks, two weeks after all the fever symptoms subsided. Does anyone develop sores at this point of time?  Thanks.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 11:33:07 pm »
Your sores could be caused by many things and if they bother you, you should consult with your doctor.

Joe

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 12:34:36 am »
Thank you Joe. Final question, has anyone here seen a seven week third generation giving a false result?

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 08:39:52 am »
No.

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 10:06:15 pm »
Thank you betty.

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 10:09:50 pm »
And one more information. I just got my tenth week hiv PCR Rna results back as undetected. My doctor here says those results as conclusive.

Please advice with a seveb week antibody test and tenth week rna test, if I can believe what my doctor says. Thanks.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 10:29:55 pm »
Listen to your doctor, you are reliably negative.

Joe

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 02:57:02 pm »
Thank you. But I just realized that the pcr performed was only for hiv 1. Should I get another for hiv 2 ? Thanks

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 03:25:41 pm »
Thank you. But I just realized that the pcr performed was only for hiv 1. Should I get another for hiv 2 ? Thanks

You should discuss this issue with your doctor.  I have no idea which strains your test covered and only your doctor can advise you on the need for further testing.

Joe

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 08:03:55 pm »
Lab report said hiv 1 rna. Has anyone here has knowledge about hiv 2 seroconversion? Is it delayed than hiv 1 that it might take more than usual 6 weeks to be detected by tests? Thanks.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 08:07:30 pm »
Lab report said hiv 1 rna. Has anyone here has knowledge about hiv 2 seroconversion? Is it delayed than hiv 1 that it might take more than usual 6 weeks to be detected by tests? Thanks.

You should discuss this issue with your doctor.  I have no idea which strains your test covered and only your doctor can advise you on the need for further testing.

Joe

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2015, 08:30:21 pm »
Joe, since hiv 2 is very rare, my doctor doesn't seem to care about it. But I want to know if any of the members on this forum has seen a hiv 2 case and does it take longer to turn positive? I hope I'm not being repetitive, but I just want to know if hiv 2 can be ruled when someone has a Duo negative at seven weeks. Thanks.

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2015, 08:32:13 pm »
I know that symptoms don't mean anything, but I never had mouth sores in my life, but I'm developing in tenth week. I got a second one in this week.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2015, 09:16:05 pm »
The strain does not matter in how long it would take to show positive on a test.

Your symptoms have nothing to do with HIV as you have reliably tested negative.

Symptoms can be caused by excess stress and anxiety and are most likely the cause of your mouth ulcers.  If they concern you, you should consult your doctor, as they have nothing to do with HIV.

Joe

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 05:25:08 am »
I just developed another conjunctivitis. I have oral thrush already from many weeks. Now I am also having those throat pain and chills which I experienced in fourth week. Though many are saying I'm reliably negative, I cant seem to think of any other reason for all these infections. Can stress  alone cause all these symptoms?

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 05:27:19 am »
I forgot to mention that I also have burning mouth syndrome and bitter taste in mouth from many days.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 08:26:30 am »
It's not up to you to "think" of what is causing your symptoms. You should be discussing them with your doctor.

You have reliably tested negative for HIV. You ARE HIV negative. Period.

Unfortunately you continue to misinterpret everything that happens to you physically as another sign of HIV. Talk to your doctor.
Andy Velez

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 01:16:33 pm »
Thanks Andy. But my question is, how can we conclude that as I have only tested till seven weeks for hiv 2 antibody. And the rna testing I had was for hiv 1. Ideally I have to wait another two weeks to have conclusive result as there is no rna testing for hiv 2. There is so little info about this strain and its really being tough to wait two more weeks.

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 01:19:13 am »
I hope I'm not posting extensively, but can anyone please provide info about hiv 2 and its testing. Thanks.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 09:14:55 am »
The PCR Rna test is not specific to HIV 1 and would have picked it up if you had HIV 2 . You do not have HIV .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2015, 10:36:51 am »
Thank you.

I got an antibody test done which is called electrochemiliminescenece (not sure of generation) at 80th day and the result came back non reactive. The index value( given as COI) was 0.301. Could anyone please clarify about the index value should be less than that isually. They didnt give any range for reference on results, but I'm assuming it's 0 to 1.

Do I need another test after two weeks? Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2015, 11:13:36 am »
No, we are not going into anymore details about your situation. Doubts and fears aren't facts. You have received a valid negative HIV test result. You are HIV negative.

Get on with your life. If you continue to return with more of the same about this situation you are going to get a Time Out from the site. HIV is not a problem for you at this point.
Andy Velez

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2015, 11:19:26 am »
Thanks Andy. I am sorry for overposting. I will try to put this aside and will consider mental help.

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2015, 12:51:13 am »
Hello  Andy, Jeff, Joe and all

Please dont ban me as I am here to ask few more questions about other encounters which I wasn't concerned about earlier. The first risk I had posted was with someone I was meeting regularly.  So I have two more encounters to mention about with same woman. After the first unprotected encounter, I was being careful and using condom the next week we met. But this time, I tried to insert- I didn't but while trying again, I changed my condom inside up and used it again. There was probably a minute gap between changing the condom. Was that a risk, as condom might had her fluids on it?

Next week we met, I was already coming down with a fever, so I wasnt active in making out. But she humped me while I was wearing my underwear and shorts. My penis was erect and her fliuds were all over my short and there was friction. Is this a risk?

If last mentioned encounter was a risk, my pcr test would be seventh week and antibody test..ie Cmia would be 9.5 weeks.

Do I need furthr testing. I only post this because the technician I met asked me to get tested after some more time to be sure.

Thanks.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2015, 09:04:51 am »
None of the details in your latest incident put you at risk. HIV is a fragile virus and touching her vaginal fluids through reversing the condom would not have put you at risk.

Since you are a worrier, avoid concerns in the future simply by using a fresh condom.
Andy Velez

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2015, 12:35:52 pm »
Thanks Andy. But my urethra came into contact with her vaginal fluids both the time, first while reversing condoms and second, while wearing shorts.

I'm having recurrent mouth sores and yeast, which I never had before. I know im not supposed to talk about symptoms, but these are making me think about all possible risks.

In case the above were risks, my rna would be 7th week and cmia 4th gen would be 10th week. Is testing still warranted later? Thanks.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2015, 03:59:54 pm »
You continue to worried needlessly. You are HIV negative.

Now I am going to warn you that if you come back with more what ifs about the same incident you are going to get a Time Out from the site. Stop the needless drama and get on with your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2015, 11:57:00 am »
Hi all,

I didn't mention one thing about my first exposure, that I had exposure with blood as she was still menstruating. It was a brief exposure but an exposure.

Anyway, today after four months I have antibody test for hep c which came back negative. But rna pcr for that came positive. Now I'm really really worried that my 3 months hiv test came back false negative because of confection.
It was roche combi 4 pt.

Please help me as im losing it.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2015, 11:59:24 am »
You continue to worried needlessly. You are HIV negative.

Now I am going to warn you that if you come back with more what ifs about the same incident you are going to get a Time Out from the site. Stop the needless drama and get on with your life. Really.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2015, 12:14:13 pm »
Jeff,

Please help me. I read in several forums that coinfectiob might delay hiv antibody test. And it is very easy to mess up a PCR test, so may be mine gave a false negative.

I am humbly requesting you all to help me in this situation. I need your help.Please. Why are hcv antibodies not produced even after 4 months. Is it because of coinfection?

Thanks

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2015, 12:17:21 pm »
You have tested negative and can trust your results . If you have specific medical questions about your test its best that you address them with your doctor or testing team . We have done all we can for you here … you do not have HIV .
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:22:15 pm by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2015, 01:17:41 pm »
Jeff, thanks for quick reply. But please try to understand my situation. Right now I am in a small town of a developing country with no ID specialists.

I got tested myself for hcv without any docs suggestion. Nite what I read is hcv confection may push hiv window period to 6 months. Do I have to wait 3  more months to get conclusive result. Testing team is not knowledgeable about this dissipation situation either. Please help me. You are most knowledgeable people around here I have access to.

Can I forget about hiv despite of hcv?

Thanks.

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2015, 01:29:48 pm »
There is no documented info much about coinfection.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2015, 01:46:15 pm »
You are conclusively negative.  Period.  This has nothing to do with hcv or anything else.  You have reliably tested negative, so whatever you are worried about, it has NOTHING TO DO WITH HIV.

Joe

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2015, 07:24:49 am »
Thank you Joe. There is not much information about coinfection window period, which caused me anxiety, as some said it delays testing time. Anyway, I will follow your suggestion. Thanks for reassurance.

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2015, 09:28:05 pm »
Hello all,

Please don't ban me for posting once more. I have a real question. Please understand me.

As I mentioned in prev posts, My four month antibody for hcv came back negative, but rna pcr was there. This means there were no antibodies produced for hcv despite of enough time. This happens mostly when immunity is comprised, which can be with coinfection.

My post might have sounded repetitive, but I saw posts by Ann in this forum mentioning delayed ab response due to hcv. Please advice if I need to test again at six months as I have been abstaining from sex for four months now. I don't want to put others at risk. Please advice keeping in mind all my exposure, symptoms and hcv.

I don't have access to ID and my GP is not sure.

Thanks.

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2015, 09:31:16 pm »
I took 4th gen tests for hiv at 108 day which was negative.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2015, 10:34:03 pm »
You do not have HIV and need to be working with your doctor to answer any more questions you may have ... We have told you over and over HIV is not your problem and we have done all we can for you .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2015, 01:00:42 am »
Hello everyone,

Please help me. I am having rectal discharge of mucous I think, it's not blood. It's smelling like stools.

I think it is being causee by hcv, but I have doctor appointment in a week. Could you please tell me if that discharge may contain hcv in it. I am living around babies in my house and very scared.

Also I know I tested beyond three months for hiv, but some suggested 6 months when acute hcv is involved. Please please let me know if anal discharge of mucous can contain hiv from a poz person. I just want to be careful around kids. Please tell me it could infect an infant. I know I am posting extensively, but considering my hcv, I dont wabt to a risk. I hope you all are not getting irritated by my questions, but I really need your exper help. Thanks.

Offline confuzed

• Standard
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2015, 04:41:02 am »
Please help dear sirs and ladies.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2015, 09:01:30 am »
You do not have HIV and need to be working with your doctor to answer any more questions you may have ... We have told you over and over HIV is not your problem and we have done all we can for you .

We cant diagnose you over the internet and we only do HIV risk assessments so go see a doctor if you are sick. 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.