Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 06:03:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 167
Total: 168

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AndroGel  (Read 11732 times)

Offline Teresa

AndroGel
« on: July 13, 2006, 09:16:02 am »
Hubby started this this morning. Has anyone been on this before?
Did you have any side effects?
How long before you noticed any results?

One of the side effects listed in the patient instructions was breast development. Hubby said if he started getting boobs he was gonna quit...LOL cant blame him.

Thanks
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline appleboy

• Just me!
Re: AndroGel
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 04:11:40 pm »
Hey Teresa,
I have never been on AndroGel.  Here is a link for patient information from the company that makes it.  I hope this can give you some insight till someone that has possibly taken it can respond to you.  You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader and there is a link to download it on this link.  http://www.androgel.com/patientinfo.asp
Good Luck!
AppleBoy
If you are walking down the street and your pants drop to your ankles bend over pick them up and keep on walking!
My Blog

Offline DCGuy511

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 05:36:23 pm »
My best friend uses it. He's been on it for 18 months.  He says that he sometimes gets itchy in the area that it is applied, abdomen and upper arms I think.  He had a testerone deficiency to the AndroGel brings it up to normal. I think that your husband is some from breast growth as long as his testerone comes into and stays in the normal range.
Steve
Infected/Diagnosed Fall 2003
"No Man Is An Island" - J Donne

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 08:45:09 pm »
Hubby is safe from getting boobs (gynecomastia), especially if his testosterone levels are low and the gel is being used to bring them up to normal range. I've used AndroGel, though now I use Testim (same thing pretty much) -- one pouch of 50 mg of which 5 mg gets absorbed by the body. So that's adding only 35 mg of test. a week -- not a dose where you start getting "bitch tits" or man boobs etc. The doses for that to happen need to be waaaay higher; usually seen only in bodybuilders who take large doses of test. (400 to 1000 mg is not unheard of) with other anabolics as part of a steroid "cycle." And if 5 mg doesn't work, you can bump up to 10 mg (under doc's supervision), checking the test. levels periodically. Mileage varies with these things.

I felt a noticeable difference in about 4 days -- greater energy, greater motivation, less apathy. No side effects like rash or itchiness. Odd feeling a bit sticky on your arms and shoulders but that's trivial.

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Teresa

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 09:23:21 am »
Thanks guys!

Everytime hubby has a new medication I have to ask if anyone else has taken it and how it affected them.

Just want to be prepared for anything and everything.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline StPeteGuy

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 09:45:24 am »
My partner was on Androgel for about 8 months. He got very moody and didn't like the way he felt, so he quit....cold turkey. He then went into a very deep depression (had never been clinically depressed before) and ended up comitting suicide.

Obviously I'm not a doc...but I think there are mood issues related to hormone replacement therapy to be considered.
Tested POZ 6/95, CD4=123
Crix + Combivir (95-00)
Viramune + Combivir (00-06)
Viramune + Epzicom (11/06 - present)
CD4=600+ (since 96)
Viral Load=undetectable (since 96)

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 01:09:57 pm »
My doctor tested my testosterone, it was rather low, and consequently put me on AndroGel.  I have been using it for almost a year.  I do believe there was a short period of adjustment in the first few months with quick-to-anger, but this has smoothed out and I feel emotionally balanced.  Although I cannot quantify the effects in regard to the AndroGel, I feel energetic, stable moods, good sex drive and I am losing some of the baby gut.  However, I am also vegan, exercise, love my job and have been taking a lot of supplements as well... I am poz since March 2004 and not yet on meds, however recent labs and getting colds a lot are making me consider starting soon.

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 01:54:46 pm »
i was diagnosed with low testosterone about a year ago. i was wasting, fatigued and felt like crap.falling asleep at 7 pm, loosing weight and wasting away. i started Androgel and it made me a bit agitated and kinda roid raged at first. after a few weeks it lessend. it  can cause lipodystrophy and testicular-atrophy but there really isn't another alternative after discussing all these issues with my Doctor.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline NightmareHall

• Out for a Sunday drive to Zeta Reticuli
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 07:52:06 pm »
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 11:04:02 am by NightmareHall »

Offline Nashvegas

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 09:35:55 pm »
I've taken Androgel for some time, and have never had any negative side effects.  Just a pleasant increase in libido (those morning woodies are a nice change) and an overall improvement in mood.  No development of breasts (althugh my nipples did perk up -- in a good way) and no anger issues.  For me, the effects were pretty quick -- maybe even the first day or so.  Hope your hubby has a good time with it!!
8/12/06 - sero-conversion
9/14/06 -- Positive Test results confirmed
9/21/06 -- CD4 - 586; viral load 8,000; 29%
12/25/06 -- CD4 - 373; VL 2,800; 23%
2/10/07 - CD4 - 228; VL 865; 25%
3/15/07 -  CD4 - 365 (no viral load test)
5/1/07 = CD4 - 341; VL 4,358; 27%
8/1/07 - CD4 - 315; VL - 2,300; 25%
9/20/07 - CD4 - 378
11/22/07 - CD4 - 257; VL 7,300;
2/27/08 - CD4 231 (16.5 %), VL 5,960
5/20/08 - CD4 229 (18.3%), VL 11,100
6/17/08 - CD4 166 (14.5%), VL 9,030
6/17/08 - STARTED VIRAMUNE + TRUVADA
7/2/08 - CD4 272 (20%), VL 113  :-)
7/16/08 - CD4 -217 (21.1 %), VL - Undetectable
7/30/08 - CD4 - 220 (20.4%). VL - 92
8/14/08 - CD4 - 280 (22%) VL-undetectable
1/04/09 - CD4 - 250 (28%) VL-UD
5/15/09 - CD4 -393 (28%) VL-UD
8/15/09 - CD4-346, (26%) VL-UD
11/15/09 - CD4-373 (28%)

Offline PolishBear

• Grandview National Park
    • PolishBear's World
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 10:26:39 am »
My doctor put me on Testim (testosterone gel) when I first went on meds, because not only my my immune system is lousy shape, but my testosterone level had dropped to near nothing. Thank God for insurance, because that stuff is EXPENSIVE!

EFFECTS: It made me feel better, gave me more energy, etc. No unpleasant side effects that I could determine.

One very interesting aspect of Testim is its slightly sweet, slightly funky odor. Whenever I had rubbed on a tube of Testim, women would often remark how GOOD I smelled!
CHUCK ANZIULEWICZ

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 03:12:17 pm »
::recalls the days of having to get twice per month injections of this stuff in the ass cheeks before androgel appeared::

Seriously though, this stuff is such kid's play compared to the shots.  That stuff peaked hard in your system days after and you'd climb the walls, yell at people and whack off furiously
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.