Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:13:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 214
Total: 215

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: ICMA testing  (Read 32561 times)

Offline flguy300

ICMA testing
« on: January 02, 2010, 09:48:34 am »
I had an ICMA test for HIV at 13 weeks--
It was HIV 1/O/2 by ICMA--non reactive
HIV 2 by EIA--still pending

First, is this conclusive for HIV 1 and 2?
Do I  need to worry about the second test?

Is the ICMA test as good at ELISA and confidence at 13 weeks?
Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: ICMA testing
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 10:05:06 am »
fl,

You are conclusively hiv negative - the ICMA is a standard, accepted test. Don't worry about your hiv2 test - hiv 2 is exceedingly rare in the US.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple! Please read through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them with confidence.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline flguy300

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 12:19:16 pm »
The only reason I ask is because I had a cd4/cd8 test about 1 month ago and cd4 was around 700.  Although the cd4 % was about 49.8%, and cd8% 24.1.  Should I worry about these particular numbers?  Also cd4/cd8 ratio was 2.07.

thanks
I just hope ICMA is as good as Elisa at 13 weeks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 12:28:11 pm »
No.

Offline flguy300

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 01:00:09 pm »
RapidRod,
In your opinion as well as scientifically, is ICMA as sensitive/good of a test as Elisa?  I had it done at 13 weeks.  It was negative.  I see Ann replied to my question, but does the HIV 1/O/2 screen for both 1&2?  Do I need worry about pending HIV 2 EIA?  Thanks again..Happy New Year
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 01:25:44 pm by flguy300 »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 01:33:25 pm »
Yes it is as good as the ELISA test and it's an FDA approved test.

Offline flguy300

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 01:37:06 pm »
RapidRod:  Two questions:  1)Do I need not worry about the HIV 2 EIA pending?  I am hoping that delay is just the New Years delay--had blood drawn on 12/30/2009.  2)  Can I take my ICMA results(12/31/2009) as conclusive at 13 weeks?
Thanks
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 01:42:15 pm by flguy300 »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 01:47:34 pm »
NO. Yes.

Offline flguy300

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 01:52:26 pm »
RapidRod, I will move on with my life and things then, and get my Dr. to figure out my chronic sore throat.  Do I need any further HIV testing?  I don't want to infect my wife if there is possibility of that.  I am sure you get this time and time again.  My latest negative test as I said is 13 weeks minimum post-encounter by ICMA(HIV antibodies). By the way, when is 3 months IN-conclusive, in the setting of a normal immune system?  Can that occur or extremely rare?  Appreciate all the info.  I am going to try and educate myself as much as possible so I can relieve or discuss fears others may have.  Thanks for your time again to this forum.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 02:49:50 pm by flguy300 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 03:22:32 pm »
fl,

Why are you testing?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline flguy300

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 04:17:07 pm »
RapidRod and others, let me know what your opinion is to previous post with RED statement.  Thanks. 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 04:57:21 pm »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 06:01:16 pm »
You have already been told the test you took is a reliable and approved one. You tested negative at the CDC-recommended testing point. You are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

As far as any other information, read our lesson on transmission if you haven't already done so. There's a link to in the Welcome thread which opens this section.

You are chewing on the HIV worry bone unnecessarily. Get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline flguy300

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 09:13:04 pm »
OK, I will settle down about this.  I just continue to have angular chelitis and sore throat.  I will not post any longer about this.  I just want to find an answer at this point to what is causing my illness, because there is something wrong, just have not found out what yet, and will look elsewhere than HIV.  Thank you everyone for your input.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 09:56:36 pm by flguy300 »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 08:38:01 am »
Discuss the situation with your doctor. HIV is not what this is about. Period. Good luck in finding the real cause of the problem.
Andy Velez

Offline flguy300

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 10:49:20 am »
Ok, again thanks to all for the information and support.  I will call him tomorrow looking for different avenues of causes.  Does anyone have an opinion on which way one would go?  Symptoms being the angular chelitis, sore throat, and episodie groin pain(maybe epididimysis).  Does anyone think urology next step or stick with primary care doctor?
Thanks again all and Happy New Year

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 12:00:46 pm »
We can't diagnose anything for you here. Discuss it with your primary care physician and go from there.
Andy Velez

Offline flguy300

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 12:11:37 pm »
That I will do.  The thirteen week antibody test was very reassuring against HIV.  Take care.

Offline flguy300

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 02:39:21 pm »
Finally and last. Has anyone in this forum known of anyone to have positive antibody test after a negative 13 week test?  Just wondering. I hope to be as reassuring to others as all of you have been. It means alot to me. Take care all

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 02:57:55 pm »
fl,

I've yet to see a SIX WEEK negative turn positive, never mind a three month negative.

You avoided my question of what your risk was, and that naturally leads me to believe you had no risk. We only give risk assessments and testing advice here. We don't do diagnosis.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned for the last time!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline flguy300

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 03:03:08 pm »
Ok I understand the warning and no more. I will, if you want me still to explain the risk, but I do mot want to get banned. Let me know, otherwise I will shut up.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 04:55:50 pm »
fl,

No, don't bother telling us what your risk was - you should have responded with that when first asked.

The bottom line is no matter what risk you did or did not have, you are conclusively hiv negative. You do not have hiv and it's time you moved on. Make sure you use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will remain hiv negative. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline flguy300

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 05:57:56 pm »
Trying my best to do that Ann. Thanks for everyone's replies. Take care all

Offline flguy300

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 12:30:24 pm »
I will take the 13 week as conclusive then. I only had reservations due to ongoing symptoms and fear of infecting spouse. Going to see my doctor this afternoon to try and find direction of which avenue to take now. Not being all that knowledgeable puts some persistent thoughts in the brain about late serovonversion, but all the replies here help. Thanks again

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 01:50:51 pm »
Yah, yah, yah. You are HIV negative. Period.

Guilt is a whole other matter. But as far as HIV is concerned you have no grounded cause for worry at this point.
Andy Velez

Offline flguy300

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 02:59:01 pm »
I got HIV-2 by EIA today and was negative!  Thanks all for your support. You are correct that guilt plays a significant role in things, but I have to convince myself that symptoms I am experiencing(which are valid ones) are not HIV related. I at this point just need to figure out what it is.

Offline flguy300

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 06:00:57 pm »
I do have a general question for the forum.  Why are some labs using ICMA HIV 1/O/2 and others using ELISA?  I see that the ICMA is fully automated and the ELISA is not. Is the ICMA just an easier test to do and becoming more for routine screening?  My doctor didn't even know the answer.   Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 06:04:32 pm »

Offline flguy300

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 08:30:20 pm »
I understand.....Was trying just to be more informed about testing.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2010, 08:53:53 pm »
Have a good day.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 10:50:16 am »
fl,

If you want to know why a lab uses the test they do, you'll have to ask them. Either test is a valid, approved test, so the reasons are likely to be finance or supply related. How should we know?

Post one more time over your CONCLUSIVE NEGATIVE situation and you WILL be given a time out.

PLEASE CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED FOR THE VERY LAST TIME!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline flguy300

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 04:24:58 pm »
Thanks all of you for your thoughts...Will you let me ask a question other than HIV here?  It is about another STD.  Done with the HIV discussion.  Wanted to ask before I did.  Please let me know.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 04:26:28 pm »
We only focus on HIV here. If you have a concern about another STD that is something to discuss with your doctor.
Andy Velez

Offline flguy300

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 04:29:23 pm »
ok, thanks.. Will do.

Offline flguy300

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 04:34:46 pm »
I appreciate all the information you have all given me.  i have taken all of your information about my testing results and am forcing it into my brain.  I'm sorry, just a skeptical person with new the newer technology.  If I have anything else to report ever, I will let you all know.  Take care and you all have a good weekend! 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:45:55 pm by flguy300 »

Offline flguy300

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 11:09:25 pm »
I don't want a timeout, but i got some lab results I would like peoples opinion on. May I ask? If not, I will not.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 06:08:50 am »
fl,

The ONLY lab test result relevant to this forum is an hiv antibody test.

I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about. You're clearly obsessing over an illness you do not have. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline flguy300

How can I let go of HIV fear?
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2010, 02:11:38 pm »
Hello all. I last had encounter a little over 4 months ago with a girl. I don't know her status, but for argument sake, let's assume she's positive. I (male) received unprotected oral sex from her. She also, without protection and, fingered me internally and massaged my prostate without protection but with lotion. She possibly could have had cut/nicks on her finger that could have bled inside my rear end. I have had standard antibody test at 11,13,14,17 weeks--all negative, and most recent a rapid oraquick advanced fingerprick test that was negative at 18 weeks post exposure. I continue to have sore, irritated throat for three months without resolution. I also have neuropathy/tingling in both feet, hands, and face. I have lost 17 lbs. I believe that I have canadiasis and/or throat ulcer. I have done the spit test in a glass and I do in fact get the stringy strands you see with fungal infection. I have responded minimally to diflucan. I would be over this if it were not for the fact of symptoms that are getting worse and NOT better--especially the neuropathy--MRI of brain was normal. My doctors have not found a thing.  I generally have been a healthy person. Do I need to continue to test for HIV since I7 week ELISA, 18 week rapid?  CAN I take my tests as CONCLUSIVELY NEGATIVE?  Whats the possibility of me testing positive after this long but still with symptoms. Does anyone know have any other thoughts?  I appreciiate you all.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 02:17:55 pm by flguy300 »

Offline RapidRod

Re: How can I let go of HIV fear?
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2010, 02:41:01 pm »
Return to your original thread.

Offline flguy300

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2010, 02:54:13 pm »
This day and age, would it be HIGHLY UNUSUAL to test negative at this point, and be actually positive at later test?  Just scared here rapid. Are there any strains that my tests would not detect?  Would you have any problems with me having unprotected sex with my wife?  Thanks for your time.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2010, 02:56:49 pm »
Done with this discussion.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2010, 04:46:57 pm »
Hey! We've been through this route with you before and we are not going to repeat it now. First of all, I have merged your latest one with the previous one. Please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread.

You have reliably tested negative repeatedly over an incident during which you were not at risk to begin with. And that has all been explained to you before. If you come back again with more drama about this same incident you are going to get yourself a Time Out. Consider yourself warned.

Get yourself some professional help if you can't let go of this unwarranted concern about HIV.
Andy Velez

Offline flguy300

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2010, 04:58:57 pm »
Andy, sorry about the bad posting.  May I ask a question of you though?  It will be short. I do not want a time out, just asking permission please?  I won't bother anymore.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 05:00:38 pm by flguy300 »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2010, 06:34:48 pm »
What's the question?
Andy Velez

Offline flguy300

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2010, 10:38:41 pm »
Thanks Andy. So would you say that no matter what the risk or current symptoms(which are real indeed), that my most recent tests are conclusive?  Have you seen/spoke with anyone turning positive after negative test at 17,18 weeks?  Thanks for allowing me the opportunity.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2010, 11:04:27 pm »
Your symptoms are irrelevant as far as HIV is concerned.

Your testing history is conclusive, you do not have HIV. You are not going to test positive at 17 or 18 weeks and we are not going to indulge you with pointless speculation about the arcana of HIV antibody testing.

You need to cut this crap out and move on.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2010, 08:12:47 am »
Fl,

How many times do we have to tell you that you DO NOT HAVE HIV? Your tests are conclusively negative and have been conclusively negative since week 13.

I'm giving you a second time out. As before, do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline flguy300

Thanks to all
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2010, 09:38:41 am »
I just wanted to thank you all for being supportive.  I have got my six month EIA results back and they were negative.  I am still trying to deal with persistant symptoms but I will work through it.  My primary care doctor still wants me to see an infectious disease specialist even though all of my latest STD panel came back negative.  I don't know if I should follow his advice or seek another opinion.  What is the panels thoughts here?  He is out of ideas and wants to explore possibilities of "slow converter" as he calls it, or non-detected strain.  I will let you know if I follow his advice or seek another primary care docs opinion.  Hope you all are doing well.  Take Care

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2010, 10:49:21 am »
Your negative result is not a surprise to us. You are HIV negative. And you aren't a "slow convertor." Yes, do consult another doctor who knows what he's talking about.

You also need to know that you aren't going to be allowed another round of what ifs here. This is an HIV website and whatever is going on with you has nothing to do with HIV. If you start coming back again repeatedly three strikes and you're banned permanently from the website.

I've merged your latest remarks with your previous thread. Follow our rule and keep all entries in this same thread.

You need to get on with your life and it happily doesn't include HIV, whether you believe that or not. You would be better off seeing a counselor and discussing what's keeping you emotionally from letting go of this issue. We can't address that need in this setting.
Andy Velez

Offline flguy300

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2010, 11:08:51 am »
Sorry for the posting mistake.  I will take your advice then.  I will seek another doctor and figure this thing out then.  If I come back here, what questions am I allowed to ask?  If physical symptoms would go away I would let this all go and never visit it again.  Thanks again

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.