Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:18:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 330
Total: 331

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Recruiting Members for Social Club  (Read 6515 times)

Offline Denise03

Recruiting Members for Social Club
« on: October 30, 2012, 03:56:23 pm »
“Victorious 4 Life”
Social Meet Up Group
“Improving our health through socializing because a life without passion is a life not lived”
Is there anyone who resides in Houston, Texas interested in being part of a support and social group for HIV/AIDS?
Let's stand together in unity to end loneliness in AIDS.  AIDS does not discriminate so why can’t we come together as one in the community.
We are still dynamic people living Victorious 4 Life.  Our lifestyle may have been transformed but overall we are still outgoing and energetic people.  We are a diverse group of men and women coming together for the purpose of building friendships and a strong system of support in our everyday lives living with HIV/ AIDS.  Through its commitment, the club provides opportunity and resources for the development of its members to strive daily towards a victorious life.
Our interests are Fun Times, Socializing, Dining Out, Christian Fellowship, Support and Encouragement, Making New Friends, Meet New People, Spiritually, Education for HIV/ AIDS.

If you are interested, please contact (832) 744-3845 or email: corliss.trent@yahoo.com

*Please note that we are not a dating service.  It has nothing to do with sexuality.  That is a confidential matter and not the group focus.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Recruiting Members for Social Club
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 05:23:38 pm »
Hi Denise

I was just curious, but have you had permission from the owners of this site to advertise your social group?

Would like to hear more about you, just a wee introduction maybe.

Cheers
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 04:05:55 am »
There is no problem with advertising hiv social groups.

However, I would advise that people do not post their phone numbers - unless you're ok with opening yourself to the possibility of getting a load of creepy crank phone calls. Same thing goes for posting email addresses - unless you don't care if your inbox fills up with spam.

You can always ask interested people to PM you for your contact details.

Keep in mind that these forums are totally google searchable and are open to non-members to read.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Denise03

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 12:22:51 am »
I didn't think I did anything wrong by trying to help.  The social group is not started yet however I'm trying to get people to come together for the cause.  There are so many people in need of help but don't have any resources so I took this upon myself to help myself and others at the same time.  I hope that this can bring together many people as possible in a positive and encouraging way.

Yes, there will always be a negative to any positive but I pray the positive outweigh the negative.   

Sincerely,
Denise

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 07:17:23 am »
Denise, are you sure you want your phone number and email address available for anyone to see on a PUBLIC forum? I know I wouldn't. Do you know there are people out there who troll public forums for that type of information and use it for nefarious purposes?

By the time you see my post, it's quite possible that you will no longer be able to edit your post - but I can remove the personal information for you at any time. Let me know.

Again, I don't have any problem with you trying to start a support/social group, but you really need to think about putting your personal contact details out there publicly. You can always have people contact you via PM so you can exchange your contact info.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 04:45:37 pm »
Hi Denise

Of course you are not doing anything wrong, trying to start a support group is a good thing, I know there are many out there who are looking but can't find that face to face support they need.

The only reason I asked was because in the past there have been a few people trying to advertise their wares for free in the forums, but as Ann pointed out there is no problem here, sorry if I upset you but asking, I should have found out first.

I would take Ann's advise and take down your email and phone number, lots of crazies out there you know, the PM servise is a great way to get things started without the worry of unwanted phone calls or emails.

Hugs
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Denise03

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 04:50:40 pm »
Thank you for your responses.  However I'm not upset at anyone.  This phone number is specifically for the group and the email is an email I created for that purpose as well.  I know that wee live in times where people do and say crazy things but I believe the positive will outweigh the negative.  There are some many people out there that needs someone to help them cope but don't know how they could get started. Yes, that would also be great if they would send me a private message also.

I'm just trying to make the best out of a bad situation by bringing people together for a good cause.  Unfortunately no-one response.
Be blessed!

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 11:41:23 am »
Having just found your Facebook page where I looked at you, your education, your friends and photos, I want to mightily encourage you to take Ann's and Jan's advice.

Let Ann alter your first post and encourage Texans to contact you in a Private Message via this site. And even then, go cautiously, as you have no idea whom you are inviting into your life.

You keep asserting the positive will outweigh the negative, you have know idea of what the range of variables are in the negative category.

You can be bold, fearless and friendly and still protect yourself at the same time. All you want is to let a few fellow Texans know of your efforts, but you've given your information to the world ... trust us, the world. This ain't about go large or go home. This is about go local, go small, walk tall.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 11:49:06 am by emeraldize »

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 11:51:40 am »
on an unrelated note....

there's a system glitch here -- in the text block of my post I wrote the word 'no' before the word 'idea' and it keeps inserting 'know' -- what's up with that? I went to modify it and saw it was correct, so thought I'd just erase the 'no' and type another 'no' and re-post. Not happening. Anyone else have this problem?

You keep asserting the positive will outweigh the negative, you have know idea of what the range of variables are in the negative category.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 09:00:49 am »
I wish I were a little closer to houston this is the sort of thing I would love to engage in.  Unfortunately at about a 3.5 hour drive it's just too far for me.  Hope your group comes together.

Offline Denise03

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 01:04:27 pm »
Thank you kindly! All I wanted to do is something positive for a devastating cause. I pray I run into more people like yourself.  People wanting to come to together to end loneliness in HIV/AIDS. Be blessed!

Offline Denise03

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 01:12:55 pm »
Okay you gave me a suggestion but I declined.  That phone number and email is for the purpose of the social group.  What my facebook page has to do with it?  Is there really a problem if this is something I want to do?  To God be the glory!

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 10:20:47 pm »
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 07:38:56 pm by emeraldize »

Offline Denise03

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 11:08:46 pm »
Yes, I do see things differently.  Thank you for your concerns!

Offline zach

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 01:05:09 am »
Ann, or any mod, I only do this to illustrate a point. This post should be deleted.

This is what they were warning you about, this is just scratching the surface. This was not hard to find.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 08:40:40 am by zach »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 05:58:52 am »

Couldn't you have simply PM'd her?  She already admitted to having a change of heart before you decided to put all her personal info out there.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 07:17:58 am by skeebo1969 »
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Denise03

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 01:14:55 pm »
You made a point of getting my information.  So because I want to do something positive for the cause you would show me you can destroy me.  It's always going to be negative in anything positive that people do.  So this is why people go into hiding and slide into a depression because of negative things that could happen instead of focusing on the positive side.  It's really sad that it has to be that way.  People afraid to do anything but just sit or lay there and die. If I could get enough people together to do the group then I would still do it.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 01:41:12 pm »
  Hi Denise, welcome to the forum, sorry I didn't mention this in my previous post.  This forum is made up of a great group of people, and the ones who have cautioned you above are just a few of them.  Trust me when I tell you, they have the best intentions when warning you of the things that can happen when you post highly personal information on the internet.

The members here, who you are trying to focus your attention on, are not the ones you need to worry about... It's those people from all around the world who troll sites like this looking for the very information you have provided.  It has happended, and the results are not nice.

This is why the people above are trying to look out for you.  Their reasons are well intended, trust me.   

Whatever decision you make on this, we'll respect it, because that is your choice.  And, please understand, no one here wants to destroy you.  I think your idea for the support group is a great one, and I am sure others here agree.

Be well, and God bless you!

Sk
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Denise03

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 01:48:11 pm »
Thank you for the kindness.  It's very much taken to heart. There are always more negative than positive so I'll just accept that however that won't stop me from starting the group.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 02:07:41 pm »
Who's trying to stop you from starting the group?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 02:30:46 pm »
Denise.

Houston Texas is a huge city and fortunately boasts many different kinds of HIV / AIDS support organisations, and support groups. 

Posting about your new, vaguely defined one, here, seem a bit like a shot in the dark.  You seemed disappointed that nobody responded.  But most of the members on this forum, are, obviously, NOT living in your area.  And, anyone who is in Houston, may very well already be plugged into the support they way wish to have.

Have you also checked out any of the existing support in your community?  Is there a reason you, personally, need to start a new group.

Maybe if you brainstorm and define the aims of your group, you can also brainstorm how to find, and where to find, interested people, specifically in your town.

I am wondering, shot in the dark here, if you personally feel quite isolated by HIV / AIDS.  Have you tried local groups and found them lacking.  Your first post also seemed to bring up Christianity and spirituality.  So just wondering if you have investigated the churches in your area which might have some programs. Or, which might be the place to start up your proposed group.  Right?

It seems your arrival in this forum FORUMS.POZ.COM, has been less than satisfactory, so I hope you think about these inquiries we have made. And the warnings about protecting yourself.

Every medium has its advantages and disadvantages.  Our google searchable international HIV AIDS forum does some things well, other things not so well. 

Don't take it personally.  People tried to give some thought and suggestions for you what you want to do. 

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Denise03

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 02:45:44 pm »
Nope, I will not take it personal.  That's just the way it is.  There are social groups here in Houston but most speak for LTBG.  I'm not interested in a person private life such as sexually preference.  Yes, I have spoke to a couple of churches just recently so I'm waiting on their reply.

I want to do something positive for a good cause so I may get discouraged but I won't stop.  I'm okay because I do have resources I can lean on.

I'm blessed!

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 03:13:20 pm »
Cool. Good luck with the churches then.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.