Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:25:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 389
Total: 389

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: cant turn my brain off.  (Read 20659 times)

Offline newazcwby

cant turn my brain off.
« on: July 15, 2010, 03:11:08 pm »
  I was newly Diagnosed  HIV POZ  May this year, during a hospital stay for 10 days with other first time diagnoses. I am dealing with my status well enough.  I started  Atripla 13 days ago and don't seem to have the dreaded side effects I was afraid of. However, my mind seems to "race" a bit and at night I cant turn off my brain to get to sleep. Anxious about things  I cant  control as well as those that I can. I have been reading the boards in here and it seems no one else has touched on this.  All This while  Unemployed and  way too much time on my hands  to think  even more.  I am looking forward to Monday, my followup Dr's appointment to see what he  says. Just wondering if others  have had the same effects.

Offline joemutt

Re: cant turn my brain off.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 05:28:31 pm »
I was diagnosed in 1997 and went into psychotherapy (cognitive behavioral therapy) and meditation (vipasana, insight, tm) and yoga. especially the meditation which is an easy technique and now widely taught is helpful to stop the racing mind. Being unemployed it is important to stay active, to do something you like and can concentrate on. I think it s not unusual what you're going through but it doesn't have to stay that way. Wishing you well.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 06:45:52 pm »
Sure, my mind raced when I had a surprise diagnosis. And then again when I started HAART.  Things that helped me: 
taking about it to my friends.
getting a prescription for sleeping pills
getting a prescription for anti-anxiety medicine
and time
when all else failed, a hot toddy shouldn't be poo pooed, heavy on the whiskey.  And a silly movie.

Can you do all or any of these?

Also, try taking your medicine another time of day. And exercise.

Sucks all the difficulties you are dealing with. Its only natural they will roll in your head. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 07:06:02 pm »

newazcwby,

In the beginning I experienced the same thing you are going through now, it's normal.  But if it's going on for an extended period of time and seriously affecting your sleep, definitely bring it up with the doctor, there are medicines that can help with it.  Staying active is paramount, even if it's just for a short walk and do your best not to isolate yourself.  When and if the time comes, employment will help establish relief from any worries you have regarding not being able to work right now... takes a little time.

Anyways, keep your chin up and be good to yourself.

welcome to the forums.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 07:14:56 pm »
This sounds like an anxiety issue and like Skeebo I dealt with this when newly diagnosed.  It went away after a couple of months once you accept the diagnosis and move on.  If you're not working it does make it worse because you have nothing to occupy your time and distract you from thinking about it.  You might be able to get a prescription for Xanax to help for a while.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 11:44:10 pm »
I was diagnosed in 1997 and went into psychotherapy (cognitive behavioral therapy) and meditation (vipasana, insight, tm) and yoga. especially the meditation which is an easy technique and now widely taught is helpful to stop the racing mind. Being unemployed it is important to stay active, to do something you like and can concentrate on. I think it s not unusual what you're going through but it doesn't have to stay that way. Wishing you well.

Meditation has helped me a ton also as has regular exercise.  I have on occasion also popped a relaxant but you should discuss this option with a medical practitioner.

Offline alliance

• hmmmm. . .
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 12:21:59 am »
It used to seem like if I didnt get to sleep within an hour of taking meds, "catch the wave" , I would have trouble sleeping. But it was strange, I would be aware, but time would fly. It went away in a few months and I havent experienced it for some time now.
Make sure you keep your doc informed and adhere to your meds. Hang in there!
"The influence of each human being on others in this life is a kind of immortality."
10/10/12   CD4=378  %=32   VL=UD
5/10/12     CD4=426  %=32  VL=UD
11/15/11   CD4=296  %=29  VL=UD(20)
6/15/11     CD4=345  %=29  VL=UD(38)
3/15/11     CD4=317  %=31  VL=UD
12/1/10     CD4=315  %=28  VL=UD
8/11/10     CD4=250  %=25  VL=UD
6/10/10     CD4=380  %=24  VL=UD
3/4/10       CD4=340  %=22   VL=UD
1/11/10     CD4=312  %=22   VL =130
11/30/09   CD4=228  %=19  VL=1726
11/20/09    started atripla
10/15/09   CD4=281  %=18   VL=85,000

Offline bryan21

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 04:56:07 am »
dude i feel you!
i found out may this yr.
and all the things you are talking about im going through to
i mean its 4 am and im up??
ill wake up in tha middle of tha night and not be able to get back to sleep ill sleep all day
as far as the mind racing thing go s i have ALWAYS had that prob. and now its like 100 times worse.

Offline newazcwby

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 07:41:21 pm »
  Thank you all for your responses. Thursday was a rough day, but I made it through it with the help of friends new and old.  I always have time and room for new friends. Today the  NASCAR Camping World Series Truck Race with get me thru. There are no other NASCAR events this weekend, so it will be a  long weekend. Hey, it is something to occupy my mind, so don't be hate'n  :)  Thanks again for the thought, suggestions and replies they are appreciated more than you'll ever know.   ::)  B T W  I have  an appointment  for a mental health intake meeting next Thursday.

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 12:27:52 am »
Sure, my mind raced when I had a surprise diagnosis. And then again when I started HAART.  Things that helped me: 
taking about it to my friends.
getting a prescription for sleeping pills
getting a prescription for anti-anxiety medicine
and time
when all else failed, a hot toddy shouldn't be poo pooed, heavy on the whiskey.  And a silly movie.

Can you do all or any of these?

Also, try taking your medicine another time of day. And exercise.

Sucks all the difficulties you are dealing with. Its only natural they will roll in your head. 

Not on meds yet here, but I second the silly movie.  "Mommy Dearest" calmed me better than anything else I tried.
09/01/2009-neg
mid april, 2010, "flu like illness".
06/01/2010-weakly reactive ELISA, indeterminant WB
06/06/2010-reactive ELISA, confirmed positive.

DATE       CD4     %     VL
07/15/10  423     33    88k
08/28/10  489     19    189k
09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA
09/15/10  420     38    1400
11/21/10  517     25    51

Offline newazcwby

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 02:48:06 pm »
Well I went into the Dr's office only on one pill a day Atripla. Came out on four pills a day. it seems the Atripla can mess with one emotionally, as it did me, and today I was even in a "brain fog" losing track and awareness of time. We will see what the new melds can do for me. I was becoming an emotional wreck even talking about happy things. Thursday I still have my mental behavioural appointment as well.
So, no more one pill a day. Two that replace two of the three that were part of Atripla, one that wont mess with my emotions and mental state, and a fourth for blood pressure. My blood pressure is fine, it is to regulate blood flow in and out of my damaged liver.
the Dr is gonna schedule a biopsy of my liver for next month after we get everything else in control. He spend and hour and a half with me uninterrupted. I was very pleased in the care I got from him and the pharmacists upstairs. They are making it easy and comforting for me.

Everyone ion the building from Southwest center and up have been a god send.  Thanks to all of you, your dedication is appreciated.  I takes  TIME, and even I got frustrated beyond belief. But in the end people realize how much you care.  Thanks again             
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 01:05:29 am by newazcwby »

Offline weasel

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 07:28:59 am »
Hey Newazcwby ,
                          I dealt with lack of sleep for the first 5 years of meds !

Norvir , Reyataz and Truvada .

I went almost 20 years before needing meds , so i was not amused with

" Busy Mind " when i went to bed after starting meds !

Only recently have I been able to sleep a few days with out taking Tazadone !

For a long time  I would sleep two , three hours and that was it !

Things get back to normal after a while .

I still wake up and IF i do not get out of bed lay there and worry about HIV !

So I jump out of bed make coffee and plan my day !

Also this site helps , often I just read and say nothing !

Have to have perspective  :)

Be well ,  Carl

" Live and let Live "

Offline newazcwby

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 03:41:22 am »
  Thanks  Carl   Still  have'n  sleep issues.  But mentally  very much better  OFF  Atripla.
my new regiment is much better for me.  Sleep, they make  pills for that two... I will give  till Monday, if I cant  control it better my Dr  will prescribe sleep meds, no doubt.

Offline c78

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 11:22:49 am »
newazcwby, I've been on Atripla since April, and have been suffering the same. I've been having awful sleeping problems, and even when I do sleep, it won't be restful and I'll be tired all day. Ironically, during the day, I can close my eyes and nap for hours without even trying.

I've also been having bad anxiety problems, but can't really tell if it's the meds, or a side effect of the sleep problems and its effect on my performance at work. Back in May, my doctor prescribed Ambien for about 20 days to see if that helped, and it did, but we haven't yet decided what to do long-term.

The "single pill once a day" nature of Atripla is really convenient, and I'm a little nervous about changing, I guess it's a bit of "the devil I know is better than the devil I don't"... but I'm reaching a point where something's got to be done.

Hope your new regimen helps your problems!

Offline newazcwby

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 02:47:29 pm »
A positive update, two weeks into being off  Atripla.....   My new regiment is much better, I am back to my old self emotionally wise, and my sleep is getting more normal as well without sleep meds
  I've had to postpone my mental health intake appointment, that happens tomarrow morning, good thing I think while I am back to normal, it will be a better gauge of my overall mental health.

Wishing everyone meds success,       newazcwby

Offline alliance

• hmmmm. . .
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 05:41:50 pm »
Im glad they're tuning you in and you're improving.
"The influence of each human being on others in this life is a kind of immortality."

Offline newazcwby

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 03:14:27 pm »
 Good news update. one month on new regiment. Life is Good, no side effects emotional or physical. And soon I hope to see good changes in my blood work numbers. My next doctors appointment will review those. I am one who tends to read others posts rather than share my experiences. But I just wanted to keep some good news stories for others  to read.
   Thanks for all the responses and thoughts. And other people struggling with "brain racing" you are on the right track in checking these posts. This site has helped me sort thru lots of  thoughts and questions. 

Offline c78

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 09:47:12 pm »
newazcwby,

Glad to hear your new regimen is working well! I had an appointment with my doctor on Thurdsday, and we decided to switch me to Truvada + Isentress. I'm a little nervous about how quickly she says I can build resistance to Isentress if I miss a dose, but so far in about ~6 months of treatment, I haven't missed a single Atripla, so fingers crossed...

Chris

Granny60

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 10:46:27 pm »
Not uncommon on Atripla.  Husband was on  Amitryptiline  then Ambien and finally Ambien Cr. 12.5 before he ever got to where he could  get any measure of sleep. The only good thing about it was that he ate all night long since he was awake anyway and got to spend a lot of  quality time visiting with the kids at 3 am on the internet that he would not have gotten to do if he was asleep.  talk to you doctor about it.

Offline newbieguy

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 11:24:26 pm »
Glad you got your issues worked out newaz, and glad your husband found something that worked for him too Granny. Im only a few days into Atripla, and the total fog and beat-up feeling really sucks and not in a good way! I'll have to be fresh for school/work in a few days and if these side effects keep up theres no way I will be able to function. Plus my appetite seems to be shot and I miss not being able to eat for 2 hours before I go to bed. I will give this a little more time and if theres no improvement Im going to ask if I can try the Truvada/Isentress combo too.

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 02:38:21 am »
The "single pill once a day" nature of Atripla is really convenient, and I'm a little nervous about changing, I guess it's a bit of "the devil I know is better than the devil I don't"... but I'm reaching a point where something's got to be done.

I'm in complete agreement on that! I know the Atripla has been messing with my sleep, making me less tolerant of things that I used to ignore, and affecting my ability to concentrate, but it's doing the job so I can't really see changing. I get a lot out of reading these posts about folks who have switched off of Atripla and think maybe I will sometime in the future. Seems like a couple people have posted that Issentress may become a once a day dosing in the not too distant future, right? I'm curious, though, what the dosing schedule is on the alternative regimens (e.g. how many and at what time of day).

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 08:46:33 am »
What's such a big deal about once-a-day dosing?  Don't you take a dump more than that?  So you pop pills in the morning and at night, it's not like we're asking you to do it every other hour.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 11:40:03 am »
What's such a big deal about once-a-day dosing?  Don't you take a dump more than that?  So you pop pills in the morning and at night, it's not like we're asking you to do it every other hour.

Some people are a little bit absent minded, so they'd be consistently missing one of those doses.

Read: Skeebo,

Granny60

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 01:50:33 pm »
Gotta say after about 2 1/2 years the fog part finally went away.  It was scarey when you couldn't let him go to  town on his own for fear he would get lost in the same little small town he has lived for 50 years and it would  take him hours to type and edit an email before the spelling was right and it made sense.  Seems like some people can adjust real fast,  some real slow.  Interesting,  he never had the wild dreams some people talk about until this summer he had several months of nightmares but now they seem to be getting better. The Atripla used to make him really drunk, especially if he had a bedtime snack that had any protein in it such as an egg sandwich or chicken legs,  but it has gotten to the point that the drunk nights are pretty rare now too.  He has has a very long list of health issues and a very high stress level, takes 20 different medications, not young any more, and started with a very low CD4 so I am sure that all  has made a difference on how long it has taken for his body to respond. Seems  like the younger people we have met on Atripla with few health issues  had a pretty short adjustment period of weird sht, before things got back to normal.  Mainly just needed a sleep aide.  Time has a way of fixing things.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 05:37:01 pm »
Some people are a little bit absent minded, so they'd be consistently missing one of those doses.

Read: Skeebo,

He's not absent minded, he's high.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 05:49:18 pm »

At least I never took 14 of the same pills all at once. :)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 06:09:58 pm »

At least I never took 14 of the same pills all at once. :)

14?  pft... try 25

Miss P doesn't miss doses no matter how Liza'd out she gets, and she's got 1325 t-cells to shove that point up your ass.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 06:12:36 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 06:27:19 pm »
14?  pft... try 25

Miss P doesn't miss doses no matter how Liza'd out she gets, and she's got 1325 t-cells to shove that point up your ass.

1325?  Fizzle my nizzle, I was up to 1100+ nine months ago.  And for added effect, I want to include the fact that I climbed from a low of 103 Cd4's to 900+ in a matter of a year and a half.  That's got to be a record and speaks highly of my great looks and body....

Btw, have you ever tried frosted flakes in chocolate milk?

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 08:32:48 pm »
I hate you both for having a pissing contest about Tcells

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 09:19:12 pm »
50% cd4%... man up, skeebster

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 09:31:27 pm »
I hate you both for having a pissing contest about Tcells
no need to be a "numbers queen" ;) :D
remember it's not how many; but how well they work. ;)
plenty of people round here have been living with 300, 200, or less for yrs without issues
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2010, 09:50:42 pm »
50% cd4%... man up, skeebster

Is that even possible?  39% last checked...  you prolly added a point or two to reach that nice round number anyways.   Once I get over this damn $700 semester fee I had to pay out of pocket for books and class, I'll get an update for ya.  Yes, I know... I haven't gotten them done yet since that little issue.  It's all financial..

no need to be a "numbers queen" ;) :D
remember it's not how many; but how well they work. ;)
plenty of people round here have been living with 300, 200, or less for yrs without issues

Or how much Coca-Cola they hold..lol ;D

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 07:59:54 am »
you prolly added a point or two to reach that nice round number anyways.

wrong

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 03:22:14 pm »
wrong

Do you think that Salmon and Cheese stuff had anything to do with it?   Oh and before I forget, I need to thank you.  I have this one guy I like to prank at the fantasy football draft I attend every year.  Dude is going to be eating some special patte with chips this coming weekend. Patte made by Fancy Feast.

Offline c78

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2010, 12:35:04 am »
...but it's doing the job so I can't really see changing. I get a lot out of reading these posts about folks who have switched off of Atripla and think maybe I will sometime in the future.

My doctor put it to me in a way I felt really good about: there are so many ways she can treat my HIV, but what's really important is also treating my quality of life.

On Atripla, between the sleep (Atripla + 2 5mg ambien, and an hour and a half later, here I am awake and wired), anxiety, and other psychological issues it's caused (finally was able to put words around it... I feel like it "amplifies" whatever emotions I'm feeling, anxiety, sadness, fear, etc.), it's just not something I can handle long-term.

Seems like a couple people have posted that Issentress may become a once a day dosing in the not too distant future, right? I'm curious, though, what the dosing schedule is on the alternative regimens (e.g. how many and at what time of day).

I hadn't heard that about Issentress, but honestly I haven't really researched it.

I'll see if I can find it online, or get a copy and scan it for your at my next doctor's visit, but she's got an excellent chart which shows all the common configurations of treatment regimens, along with a graphic of how many pills how many times a day, along with what restrictions there may be with food or whatnot. It was a really great visual aid for understanding the options available to you, and figuring out what you're comfortable with.

I also can't stress how thankful and lucky I feel to have an ID specialist that really takes the time to talk with me in detail on this stuff (I'm an "armchair MD" and really love to research and learn the "how's and why's" and she does a great job of filling in the blanks in my own research), and that she handles my treatment as a "cooperative relationship," not just pushing something on me and shoving me out the door.

Offline c78

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2010, 12:44:49 am »

For me, it's not having a problem with twice-a-day pill-taking as much as it is the Insentress being really sensitive to missing/severely off-timed doses, and building resistance. For someone who's completely new to having to take chronic medication, a once-a-day regimen it a really comfortable starting place. Since I've managed ~5-6 months now once a day without missing a single dose (I'm the kind of person with a vitamin that 2 minutes after I took it, I'll be asking myself if I actually took it or just thought about taking it), I feel comfortable that I can step up to "big boy dosing" now :)

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2010, 11:38:54 am »
For me, it's not having a problem with twice-a-day pill-taking as much as it is the Insentress being really sensitive to missing/severely off-timed doses, and building resistance. For someone who's completely new to having to take chronic medication, a once-a-day regimen it a really comfortable starting place. Since I've managed ~5-6 months now once a day without missing a single dose (I'm the kind of person with a vitamin that 2 minutes after I took it, I'll be asking myself if I actually took it or just thought about taking it), I feel comfortable that I can step up to "big boy dosing" now :)

A low barrier to resistance isn't really the same as being sensitive to off-timed doses.  Isentress lasts a long time in the body -- that is why it is being studied for once a day dosing.

A low barrier to resistance means that it only requires a little bit of mutation for HIV to get around Isentress if you take it as a stand-alone.  But the same is true of Sustiva (efavirenz) which is the drug that is bundled with Truvada in Atripla.  Other drugs, including some of the protease inhibitors require multiple mutations before they are ineffective -- and sometimes those mutations make HIV less harmful in general.

Oh, and if you are worried about tracking whether you took a dose or not, there's always the option to use a pillbox...

Be well
A
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2010, 03:10:01 pm »
it's not like we're asking you to do it every other hour.
;D or every 4 hours round the clock, 24/7.  :D If we still had the original AZT dosing requirements, there'd be a lot of people dropping like flies. LOL Hearing people complain about pill boxes rather than clocks with multiple alarms during the day sure makes 2010 seem a long, long way from 1990. I wonder if diabetics complain as much about multiple stabs for testing and multiple shots a day? Now that sure makes my twice-a-day pill dosing sound pretty damn good and easy ;)  :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Granny60

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2010, 07:59:50 pm »
However, my mind seems to "race" a bit and at night I cant turn off my brain to get to sleep. Anxious about things  I cant  control as well as those that I can.

Possible fixes, amitiyptyline ( Elavil) , or Zolpedim ( ambien) or Lunesta,  all of which require  a prescription,  Or melatonin ( over the counter)  or Jack daniels and caffein free coke ( Also over the counter  ;D)

Offline newazcwby

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2010, 02:55:14 am »
Yet another update...  I did get moved to Tucson, from Phoenix which is good and bad news. The good news is I am closer to my Boyfriend of 11 months, I felt so trapped in Phoenix. The bad news is I get to start all over again with new Doctors, case workers, pharmacies and HIV services. Let the hoop jumping begin again. And of course prior to my seeing my new primary care Doctor I fell ill. I had a sore knee which the ER told me was the fluid on my joint was inflamed and the "markers of blood test said it was infected as well. So they sent me home with Oxycodone and some antibiotics after giving me two injections of antibiotics.  Only to have the pain and swelling become  4 times worse in a matter of 3 days. The next trip to the  ER  I was  admitted for I V antibiotics and more pain meds. So tonight (Monday) here I sit in my room with no further news.  Of course my initial appointment with my new Doctor came and went, as did my appointment with our  HIV services organization.  It seems it always works this way.  Two steps forward, three steps back.
 My mind  does not "race" so much anymore, but my sleep habits have never gotten back to normal yet. my previous Dr did prescribe some Rx sleeping pills, but they did not help very much either. I think he went conservatively as I could sleep for only 4-6 hours  and  wake up not tired at all. Isn't 8 hours  still the  "standard"?
  I have only had two blood work-ups since  starting HIV meds in July. And at my last Dr apptmnt the Viral loads weren't ready... Maybe I am more concerned than my Dr's are, but damnit  these are  MY numbers and  stats and it aint like I live in some backwoods county seat cities,  Phoenix and Tucson are pretty decent sized cities with what I would think have sufficient labs and such.

I have been very healthy all my life prior to this year. I never had regularly prescribed Meds. I never had a surgery of any kind  prior to this week.  But it seems I have not had the best of luck getting good diagnostic health care.
  Hopefully  the rest of this month will go more smoothly, and i get IN  with Doctors and  staff's  that care and follow through with patient care. I couldn't imagine how hard it can be for people that live in real rural areas with very limited choices in who they can see.
  But  mentally the move to Tucson was definitely a great choice that I made. It is like a huge  weight is off my shoulders and I am here for my lovers needs, and I  can lean on him once in a while as well.

Best of Health and Happiness to all that have followed my "saga" and thanks for all the  feedback.

Offline alliance

• hmmmm. . .
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2010, 11:09:49 pm »
Before I was diagnosed and for a while after I was on meds, it seemed like everytime I turned around there was another problem. Things have settled down for me, I hope they do for you to. Hang in there!  I'm curious what your numbers are like, maybe I missed them. Take care.

Offline refnole

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2010, 04:19:11 pm »
had to reply cause the same thing goes on with me. i started taking melatonin about 30 minutes before going to bed. all natural and sleep really well.

Offline anthonynallen

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2010, 08:31:14 pm »
Hey new here but im not on meds at this time and as of now my mind races all day and all night. I cant fall asleep and when i do im just back up in 2 to 3 hours.

Offline drewm

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2011, 08:32:42 pm »
You described my experience to a "T". I could not shut my brain off. I worried about things I had no control over and thought I was going insane. My advice is this. Find someone to talk to and share your experiences but most of all, try to see a mental health professional. My health, over-all, improved tremendously once I got on Prozac and got all the crazy thoughts out of my head.

I know this is going to sound simple, but trust me when  I tell you that I understand...totally. Try not to worry. A lot of the impending doom that I thought was around the corner was all in my head. If you are havint trouble sleeping, get some sleeping medication. Insomnia and HIV/AIDS do not mix well.

:)
Diagnosed in  May of 2010 with teh AIDS.

PCP Pneumonia . CD4 8 . VL 500,000

TRIUMEQ - VALTREX -  FLUOXETINE - FENOFIBRATE - PRAVASTATIN - CIALIS

Numbers consistent since 12/2010 - VL has remained undetectable and CD4 is anywhere from 275-325

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2011, 01:25:17 pm »
This is what I refer to as the low level anxiety which I presume is being brought on by Sustive.  I'm a rather mellow guy and I don't worry about much at all so this has been rather new to me.  I could be wrong and maybe I'm just thinking about things in a new light or becoming a worrier as I approach 30, but this seems so out of the ordinary for me.  Most of the people who have chimed in on this thread are on Atripla also.

Offline newazcwby

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2011, 04:19:58 am »
it has been forever since  an update, I am Sorry Guys.
 But here it goes. I moved to  Tucson,  and my BF  and his TWO Sons moved in with me. We have lots of  Baby momma DRAMA. but we  seem to survive it  well. Sleep is still an issue for me, it is hard to get  a  solid  8 hours of shut-eye uninterupted.
 I am  UNdetectable, and  my cd-4 muners  are  like  564. Yhe medsa are working in THAT Dept,  but  Still Fine-Tuning  My mental health.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.