Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:36:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 528
Total: 529

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I've lost my sense of smell (Norvir side effect?)  (Read 6606 times)

Offline ByTheBay

I've lost my sense of smell (Norvir side effect?)
« on: November 22, 2009, 05:59:49 pm »
I've been on my meds for 7 weeks now, and have seen a big drop in VL (see below) and remain hopeful that I will see an increase in CD4 with my next set of labs.  My HIV regimen is Prezista/Norvir/Truvada taken once per day, always with food, as that is essential for the Prezista to work.  I also take AIDS-OI suppression drugs (Septra/Bactrim/Rifabutin) as my CD4 is low enough to need preventative antibiotics.

I am very happy to report that after about a 3 week adjustment period (headaches, muscle pain, aches) I have adjusted to the meds very well.  I’ve never had any digestive problems (luckily).  I did develop terrible dandruff and dry skin, which has gone away with over the counter dandruff shampoo and skin lotion.  I am not sure this is due to the medications or just normal seasonal dry skin, but it is tolerable.

The one side effect which has puzzled me is that I have almost entirely lost my sense of smell.  I asked at my last appointment and my Dr. said it was likely a side effect of Norvir (I take 100mg once per day to boost the Prezista).  I didn’t notice at first until someone commented about “a terrible smell”  at work (someone left food in their trash over the weekend) and I didn’t smell anything.  I then tried to smell scented candles, perfume, etc. and I can still detect some smells, but I’d guess about 10% of what I used to be able to smell.  I think related to this is that I also notice a change in my sense of taste -- things tase bland.

Has anyone else had this as a side effect, were you or are you taking Norvir?  The patient literature does not say anything about sense of smell side effects.

To be honest, it does not really bother me all that much.  It is amusing more than anything.  If I ever had to pick a sense to lose it would be smell.

Now if Norvir would only give me 6 pack abs, THAT would be a side effect worth having!
3/12/2009 Tested Negative
5/22/2009 Tested Negative
9/17/2009 Tested Positive
9/25/2009 CD4 53  (10%) VL 57,305
9/28/2009 CD4 62  (7% )  VL: 57,305
10/3/2009 Started Truvada/Norvir/Prezista/ Septra/Bactrim and Rifabutin
11/02/2009  CD4  67 (15%) VL: 626
12/21/2009  CD4  56 (10%) VL: Undetectable
03/22/2010  CD4  46 (10%)  VL: Undetectable
06/23/2010 CD4 61 (13%) VL: Undetectable

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
Re: I've lost my sense of smell (Norvir side effect?)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 07:16:18 pm »
I've been taking a daily dose of Norvir for almost two years with no observed side effects, including six-pack abs; but no lipodystrophy either.  The sense of smell is intact, for better or worse.

Good luck with your treatment.  Once the virus is suppressed, the immune system should rebound within a few months.
It's a complex world

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 08:57:23 pm »
  I did develop terrible dandruff and dry skin, which has gone away with over the counter dandruff shampoo and skin lotion.  I am not sure this is due to the medications or just normal seasonal dry skin, but it is tolerable.
Can't help you with the smell mystery. Did the doc say it was permanent or temporary.
I can tell you that I had dry skin and flaky hair after starting HAART but the doc said it was NOT dandruf, but a symptom of the immune system adjusting to the decreased viral load. Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome (IRIS) - google it. Its goes away by itself. The skin lotion is helpful but you dont need the dandruf shampoo.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline nixsmail

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 10:54:47 pm »
have been on the same set of meds that you are on, since june this year. haven't noticed anything with sense of smell but have noticed that things just don't have the same "taste" that they did before the drugs and my appetite has been a little suppressed. just my 2 cents worth. hope your cd4 goes up as mine did.
09/05/07 Officially diagnosed +4yrs at the time
11/06/07 CD4 624 (18%) VL 43,200
05/04/09 CD4 272 (15%) VL 521,190
06/10/09 CD4 127 (13%) VL 626,376 Started Truvada/Prezista/Norvir
07/15/09 CD4 849 (20%) VL 379
09/09/09 CD4 594 (21%) VL 68
01/28/10 CD4 706 (23%) VL 127
05/27/10 CD4 655 (22%) VL 322
07/29/10 CD4 750 (22%) VL 220
10/22/10 CD4 669 (23%) VL 65
12/27/10 CD4 720 (24%) VL 270
03/08/11 CD4 644 (23%) VL 631
07/27/11 CD4 694 (23%) VL <20
03/09/12 CD4 601 (20%) VL UND
11/07/12 CD4 693 (23%) VL UND
04/17/13 CD4 559 (23%) VL UND
11/07/13 CD4 846 (24%) VL UND
03/28/14 CD4 869 (24%) VL UND

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 11:17:37 pm »
I remember back when I was taking norvir in liquid form (nasty stuff) that a "change in sense of taste" (http://www.aidsinfo.nih.gov/DrugsNew/DrugDetailNT.aspx?int_id=244) was one of the side effects. I always thought everything tasted pretty bland after that god-awful liquid burned off your tastebuds when it slid across your tongue and down your throat as you swallowed it.. :D Maybe it was actually an effect from the med itself, as that is still listed as a possible side effect. Since taste and smell are intermixed senses, maybe that is the underlying cause of your sniffer not smelling as much.  ;)

Hmmm? Wonder if things would taste and smell better if I quit taking Norvir? LOL  :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline jm1953

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 04:39:25 pm »
I've been on my meds for 7 weeks now, and have seen a big drop in VL (see below) and remain hopeful that I will see an increase in CD4 with my next set of labs.  My HIV regimen is Prezista/Norvir/Truvada taken once per day, always with food, as that is essential for the Prezista to work.  I also take AIDS-OI suppression drugs (Septra/Bactrim/Rifabutin) as my CD4 is low enough to need preventative antibiotics.

I am very happy to report that after about a 3 week adjustment period (headaches, muscle pain, aches) I have adjusted to the meds very well.  I’ve never had any digestive problems (luckily).  I did develop terrible dandruff and dry skin, which has gone away with over the counter dandruff shampoo and skin lotion.  I am not sure this is due to the medications or just normal seasonal dry skin, but it is tolerable.

The one side effect which has puzzled me is that I have almost entirely lost my sense of smell.  I asked at my last appointment and my Dr. said it was likely a side effect of Norvir (I take 100mg once per day to boost the Prezista).  I didn’t notice at first until someone commented about “a terrible smell”  at work (someone left food in their trash over the weekend) and I didn’t smell anything.  I then tried to smell scented candles, perfume, etc. and I can still detect some smells, but I’d guess about 10% of what I used to be able to smell.  I think related to this is that I also notice a change in my sense of taste -- things tase bland.

Has anyone else had this as a side effect, were you or are you taking Norvir?  The patient literature does not say anything about sense of smell side effects.

To be honest, it does not really bother me all that much.  It is amusing more than anything.  If I ever had to pick a sense to lose it would be smell.

Now if Norvir would only give me 6 pack abs, THAT would be a side effect worth having!

I'm on Prezista and Norvir too. Switched to it a few months ago.  Have had some ongoing sinus conditions since then and have been using some nasal sprays like Ziacam which have somewhat impaired my sense of smell.  But can't attribute anything to Norvir.

If you are using Afrin or something for your sinuses on a regular basis, sometimes that can affect your sense of smell.

Just a thought. 

Good luck.
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline veritas

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 05:46:56 am »

Evidently, there is a link  between taste and smell with Norvir ,as well as other hiv medications, however not all taking are affected:

"Forty-three patients (21%) reported that medications interfered with their sense of taste, and five (2%) reported that medications interfered with their sense of smell. Seventy-nine (38%) reported that medications taste bad, and 43 (21%) reported that medications smelled bad. Patients could report problems with medications they were currently taking, or medications they had previously taken. The medications which were most commonly listed as problematic were indinavir (Crixivan), ritonavir (Norvir), clarithromycin (Biaxin), zidovudine (Retrovir), didanosine (Videx), lamivudine (Epivir) and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim or Septra). Although we did not have information about how many patients had ever taken each medication, it appeared that the number of complaints was disproportionately high for protease inhibitors."

http://journals.lww.com/aidsonline/Fulltext/1998/13000/Taste_and_smell_complaints_in_HIV_infected.15.aspx

v

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 11:03:35 am »
Thanks for the link V  ;D
It's always good having some real numbers backing up the complaints

I don't notice the problem with my videx (though it's hard to tell if I would even notice that things taste blander as I've been on some form of videx for a decade or more now LOL); however, I did notice a change when I started and I most assuredly notice when I stopped taking bactrim after a decade that the flavor of things perked up.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 01:13:44 pm »
you gone smell blind son!
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 01:39:42 pm »
Chances are that the loss of smell and taste is caused by the Rifabutin. If these effects continue or become bothersome, inform your doctor.

A few years ago I was hospitalized with  Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC), was prescribed Rifabutin and also had loss of smell and taste.

Take care and be well
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 01:42:13 pm by Grasshopper »

Offline ByTheBay

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 06:07:45 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.  I did not think that Rifabutin might be the cause -- the most noticable side effect from Rifabutin is my urine is now orange, but they warned me about that.  I had assumed the PI would be the cause of the loss of smell.  I hope that I will not be on Rifabutin much longer (as soon as my CD4 goes over 100 for 3 months in a row I can stop it).  Will be nice to know if this is the cause or not -- will update when I figure it out.
3/12/2009 Tested Negative
5/22/2009 Tested Negative
9/17/2009 Tested Positive
9/25/2009 CD4 53  (10%) VL 57,305
9/28/2009 CD4 62  (7% )  VL: 57,305
10/3/2009 Started Truvada/Norvir/Prezista/ Septra/Bactrim and Rifabutin
11/02/2009  CD4  67 (15%) VL: 626
12/21/2009  CD4  56 (10%) VL: Undetectable
03/22/2010  CD4  46 (10%)  VL: Undetectable
06/23/2010 CD4 61 (13%) VL: Undetectable

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.