Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:32:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 592
Total: 592

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Who-Hah issues...  (Read 7734 times)

Offline HollyStar

Who-Hah issues...
« on: January 18, 2010, 07:49:48 pm »
Hi ladies,

So, I've been having some issues for a while. It seems that when ever I get a yeast infection and it finally goes away, I get another one soon after. I don't use Monostat as it feels like I'm injecting fire, I hate the stuff. Also last month I started to bleed but it hadn't been a month since my last period. I bled for about 10 days. It was light with the exception of one heavy day. It was a very strange ordeal. And not to mention the herpes. I take suppressive therapy but still get breakthrough outbreaks. Sound fun?

At this point, you may be asking yourself, why I haven't gone to the doctor. Any time that I have brought up irregular periods or something going on that shouldn't be, the gynecologist always has suggested birth control. The hormones are supposed to make it all normal. This 'solution' just doesn't make sense to me, I want to know what is going on, not a bandaid. And, from what I have read, hormone birth control levels can be lowered by some HIV meds, which in turn make the birth control less effective! I will get a prescription for the Diflucan but I don't know what else to do. My period hasn't come yet but it's been out of whack for a while, so who knows. If anyone has any ideas, clues or suggestions, let me know. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:52:10 pm by HollyStar »
Diagnosed  July 28th 2003

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

'Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?' -Frank Scully

'If your ship doesn't come, swim out to it.' - Jonathan Winters

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Who-Hah issues...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 05:46:37 am »
Holly, yes, gynecologists do, very often, use birth control as a way to get irregular periods under control.  I personally take the Depo-Provera shot, which is like every 3 months.  It's very quick and painless, and it stops my periods.  Uh-Oh!, you may be thinking.  That's not "normal."  Well, I can tell you I'd rather take that than have periods every 2 weeks.  My doctor tells me I'm menopausal, which could be causing the abnormalities.  You don't say how old you are, but I'm wondering if that's your problem as well. 

I can only advise that you speak to a different gynecologist if you don't like what the one you're currently seeing says, but don't be surprised if that's what a different doctor would recommend as well (birth control, which is really hormones).   Good luck.

Also, you mention getting constant yeast infections, and breakthrough with the herpes.  I have herpes as well, and take Valtrex as a suppresive therapy.  Do you also take HIV meds?  And what are your numbers?  I would discuss these problems with your ID doc, and see what he says.  Awhile back, when the HIV wasn't under good control, I had to take Diflucan every day.  Please talk to the doc, and let us know what he says-I'm curious to know.  Good luck with this as well.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 02:36:10 pm »
Hi Betty,

I've been very hesitant about hormonal birth control, side-effects and such. As far as menopause, I'm only 25 years old but my Mom went into Menopause in her 30's!

I do take Acyclovir for the herpes, 400 mg twice a day. It's better than not taking anything but still get outbreaks almost every month. My CD4's are around 500 now and VL is undetectable now that I've been on Lexiva and Truvada for a while. I thought that when I went on treatment that this sort of stuff would improve but...

Also, if I did go on birth control it would be to regulate my period, right? Not actually for birth control as it's less effective with the HIV meds.

Anyway, thanks Betty. I have some new questions for the doc and will think about making an appointment with a new gyno.

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 03:13:57 pm »
Hi Holly,

I agree with Betty - any doctor will likely suggest some sort of hormonal birth control. I was having increasingly heavy and long lasting periods and my options were hysterectomy or an IUD called the Mirena Coil. The hormones in the Mirena coil stay localized and aren't systemic - that's why it was recommended for me. I chose the coil because I didn't want a hysterectomy. I don't need any of it for birth control as I had my tubes tied the last time I had an ovarian cyst.

Oh, and my mother also had an early menopause. I told my doctor and he tested me for ... some hormone, forget the name, which will show if menopause is what's going on. So far, I've outlasted my mother by over ten years. She was 36 when she started through the change and I'm 47 and still not menopausal. :)

I've had the coil for nearly two years now with no problems. Most women cease having periods with it after the first couple months but I still get a mini-period each month, but it's a huge improvement over what I was dealing with before. Many months I couldn't even leave the house for two or three days due to the super heavy flow. Now I only go through two to four pads (plus four or five panty-liners) where it used to be two or three boxes of pads and as many as four boxes in the last few months before the coil. Big difference. I rarely get cramps any more either.

It sounds like you need to take a higher dose of acyclovir - at least for a while. That's how it went for me. It seemed that once I gave the virus a good kicking, it was subdued enough to be suppressed on a lower dose. I was taking four 400mgs (two twice a day) when I first started after getting fed up with having outbreaks nearly every week. After a while (think it was six months) I only took two (one twice a day) and I've been on only one per day for quite a while now. If I get sick or super stressed about something, I go back to taking two a day or I get an outbreak. I forgot to do this after my recent bout with stomach flu and paid the price. Ouch! Talk to your doctor about increasing your dose at least temporarily.

As for the yeast, I don't like monostat either so I always get a systemic (pill) usually Fluconazole. It may also help to change your diet a bit to include less sugar and refined foods and eat more bio-live, fruit and sugar free yogurt. I know it helps me. You can also put it down there (really!) - I used to use one of those plunger things you get with the monostat to insert it. It is a bit messy and you'll need to wear a pad - and have a rinse off after about an hour. You'll be amazed at how cooling and soothing the yogurt feels - and it helps stop the yeast too. Good stuff, yogurt.

Good luck with this Holly. I know how depressing, debilitating and infuriating who-hah problems can be.  :-\

Ann
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 03:17:49 pm by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Victory101

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 08:37:20 am »
Hi I have suffered from yeast infections for a LONG time. I looked into changing my diet but have found it really hard to cut out sugar. But I can tell it triggers it off coz I can tell when I have taken too much sugar!  I have been eating bio yogurt (sweetened) forever. Recently I started drinking nette tea every day and I think I may have finally found the solution. I used to get a yeast infection every time my perood came...but for the last two months I have not had it.

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 01:44:21 am »
Hi Victory, changing our diet can be difficult but I'm glad that you seem to have found a solution to the yeast infections.

Ann, thank you very much for all the info. I really do appreciate it. I will talk to the doc about the IUD after I ask to have my hormone levels checked. My 'period' seems to FINALLY be here but it is like it was last time. It's odd and I'm not sure if it's coming or going yet, lol.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.