Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:48:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 491
Total: 492

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: when is it too late to cure hiv?  (Read 10985 times)

Offline U1195

when is it too late to cure hiv?
« on: March 03, 2010, 10:53:57 am »
Greetings to everyone here!
A neighbour(25 years old) of mine in Cameroon went to the hospital sick and was told
that it is too late to cure her from hiv and she was sent home. She is just about 25 years old,and now hast
dirrhoea and is using baby napkins like a child.
I am worried and just think the hospital doesnot want to waste aids-drogs
and treatment on her since the treatment is paid by the state. u know
some medical officials can be corrupt!
when is it too late to cure a person from hiv?
Please can someone help this young woman in anyway because if things left as they
are she will die!

Offline RapidRod

Re: when is it too late to cure hiv?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 10:58:33 am »
There is no cure for HIV, there is however treatment.

Offline Jeton

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 11:10:36 am »
Greetings to everyone here!
A neighbour(25 years old) of mine in Cameroon went to the hospital sick and was told
that it is too late to cure her from hiv and she was sent home. She is just about 25 years old,and now hast
dirrhoea and is using baby napkins like a child.
I am worried and just think the hospital doesnot want to waste aids-drogs
and treatment on her since the treatment is paid by the state. u know
some medical officials can be corrupt!
when is it too late to cure a person from hiv?
Please can someone help this young woman in anyway because if things left as they
are she will die!

HIV can only be cured (eradicated from the body) within 24-72 hours after exposure by starting Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP), usually a 2 or 3 drug cocktail, n taking it faithfully for 30-90 days.

however, HIV can be effectively treated with anti-retroviral drugs and the person infected can still live a long and healthy life. ur friend must not lose hope, because a good attitude will help keep her strength up n help her fight for access to the medications she will need for the rest of her life. she needs to go back to that hospital n look for an intelligent doctor who is familiar with hiv-treatment, or find a doctor that is.

she does not have to die from HIV, but she has to ask for "treatment", not a "cure".

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 11:13:46 am »
HIV can only be cured (eradicated from the body) within 24-72 hours after exposure by starting Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP), usually a 2 or 3 drug cocktail, n taking it faithfully for 30-90 days.

however, HIV can be effectively treated with anti-retroviral drugs and the person infected can still live a long and healthy life. ur friend must not lose hope, because a good attitude will help keep her strength up n help her fight for access to the medications she will need for the rest of her life. she needs to go back to that hospital n look for an intelligent doctor who is familiar with hiv-treatment, or find a doctor that is.

she does not have to die from HIV, but she has to ask for "treatment", not a "cure".
Wrong again. nPEP is only given for 28 days.

Offline Jeton

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 11:21:08 am »
Wrong again. nPEP is only given for 28 days.

actually i've seen the protocols vary. u must belong to Pavlov, doggy...in any case, ur response to the OP was wrong, as usual.

Offline U1195

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 11:23:03 am »
I am sorry! I meant" when is it too late to treat hiv?"
She was simply sent home and told it was too late to treat her from the symptoms of hiv
when she was in the hospital.
I donot know what to do because i am away in germany and this woman is just left
like with no help. probably she is too weak to go the hospital on her own.
Is there anyone who wants to advice her or her parents and i will forward her number to
the person?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 11:30:49 am »
I am sorry! I meant" when is it too late to treat hiv?"
She was simply sent home and told it was too late to treat her from the symptoms of hiv
when she was in the hospital.
I donot know what to do because i am away in germany and this woman is just left
like with no help. probably she is too weak to go the hospital on her own.
Is there anyone who wants to advice her or her parents and i will forward her number to
the person?
  Ignore Jeton post it is totally incorrect. As for your question it is never to late to treat.

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 11:42:17 am »
actually i've seen the protocols vary. u must belong to Pavlov, doggy...in any case, ur response to the OP was wrong, as usual.

Jeton:

The moderator reports are now coming in at a steady clip -- you're clearly snapping at anyone who challenges you, and this needs to stop. By all means, debate anyone who questions your knowledge or interpretation of facts -- but please do it without the jabs.

And for what it's worth, the CDC offers the following recommendations regarding PEP:

Occupational Exposure: "Administer PEP for 4 weeks, if tolerated"

Non-occupational Exposure: "Accumulated data from animal and human clinical and observational studies demonstrate that antiretroviral therapy initiated as soon as possible within 48--72 hours of sexual, injection-drug--use, and other substantial nonoccupational HIV exposure and continued for 28 days might reduce the likelihood of transmission."

Offline U1195

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 11:53:18 am »
Is there anyone who can advice this girl or her family on what to do,and i forward her number?

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 11:56:34 am »
U:

Here is what I suggest:

Start contacting some of the AIDS service organizations in Cameroon to learn more about the standard of care -- including access to antiretrovirals -- in Cameroon. In short, I'm not sure if anyone in these Forums can speak specifically to the specific options available to Cameroon residents living with HIV/AIDS.

Please consider consulting this list of resources, care of cameroun-plus.com.

Tim

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 12:15:32 pm »
This might have the same list of resources as the link provided by Tim, but you might still want to have a look, in case there is any new information. You can search for HIV/AIDS services throughout the world:

http://aidsmap.com/cms1038779.asp

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 12:21:43 pm »
Awesome, Inching...

Your link is far superior to the one I provided. U -- use the aidsmap services directory. Not only is it much easier to search, it lists phone numbers and, where applicable, e-mail addresses and websites for various organization throughout Cameroon.

Definitely worth repeating:

aidsmap's Search for HIV & AIDS services across the world

Offline Jeton

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 03:56:40 pm »
Jeton:

The moderator reports are now coming in at a steady clip -- you're clearly snapping at anyone who challenges you, and this needs to stop. By all means, debate anyone who questions your knowledge or interpretation of facts -- but please do it without the jabs.

And for what it's worth, the CDC offers the following recommendations regarding PEP:

Occupational Exposure: "Administer PEP for 4 weeks, if tolerated"

Non-occupational Exposure: "Accumulated data from animal and human clinical and observational studies demonstrate that antiretroviral therapy initiated as soon as possible within 48--72 hours of sexual, injection-drug--use, and other substantial nonoccupational HIV exposure and continued for 28 days might reduce the likelihood of transmission."

i expect members who attack me n can't handle the riposte to cry to mods, that is par for any message board, as regards PEP, the NYC standard was within 24 hours the last time i checked, and the overall course in different districts has variously been described as 30 or 45 or 90 days. that is what i described.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 05:30:23 pm »
As to the OP's question, there is never a time too late to start HIV treatment, and no guidelines anywhere in the world suggest a time when it is too late.

On the NYC standard, the recommendation is treat within 36 hrs if justified by route of possible transmission.

Ref: http://www.hivguidelines.org/GuideLine.aspx?pageID=78&guideLineID=5&vType=text

I would be interested to see a reference standard which recommends more than the CDC standard (and generally used standard) of 30 days medication for PEP/PrEP.

The discussion on PEP/PreP is of course cluttering up the OPs thread, which is perhaps a disservice.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline U1195

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 08:27:37 pm »
Thanks for the links.
It is a pity some people have hijacked my thread and have made it to a battle
field and attack each other.
we should behave like adults!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 02:55:06 am by U1195 »

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 02:33:30 am »
These attacks have to stop.  This person is trying to get help for a friend and most of this thread is arguing.  I completely understand pointing out when someone is wrong about info, but this person needs info fast.  The OP didn't ask about PEP.  This girl isn't newly infected, so I'm not sure why it was brought up.

U1195, I wish I knew who to tell you to contact.  I think most of us have known people who were down to CD4 of 20, 10, or even 0.  My former partner was down to 7.  It is my understanding that it is never too late.  Some people may have so many medical problems that it seems too late, but everyone should be given a fighting chance with meds.  I recently read a question to Dr. Gallant about a young girl who was in a coma with many health issues due to HIV/AIDS.  They were still trying to treat her. 

Your friend has a very, very, very good chance of immune recovery if meds are started--from everything I've read and been told.  I wish you both the best and only wish I knew more about the world to give you information you can actually take into action.  Please don't take "NO" for an answer.  Keep demanding she get help.     

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 02:57:52 am »
OrganisationConseil National de Lutte contre le SIDA (CNLS) 

Postal AddressMinistry of Public Health
BP 25 627
Yaoundé 

CountryCameroon

Telephone+237 22 22 57 58

Fax+237 22 23 34 39

Emailmauricefe@yahoo.fr
cnls@camnet.cm

ContactMaurice Fezeu [Permanent Secretary]

Description
En | Es | Fr | PtNational co-ordination; prevention; information provision; support.
Coordinación al escala nacional; prevención; suministro de información; apoyo.
Coordination nationale; prévention; apport d'informations; soutien.
Coordenação nacional; prevenção; fornecimento de informações; auxílio.

OrganisationCameroon Christian AIDS Support Organisation 

Postal AddressPO Box 3 Ndu
Donga Mantung Division
North West Province 

CountryCameroon

Telephone+237 74 90 36 26

Fax+237 32 32 67 53

Emailccasocam@yahoo.com

ContactChumunyang Nchotu Gedalia Shey [Executive Director]
Anjah Egah [Executive Secretary]

Description
En | Es | Fr | PtVoluntary screening and testing; local training to caregivers and treatment; local support for clients in small businesses and for income-generating activities.
Detección y pruebas voluntarias; formación a nivel local para los cuidadores y tratamiento; apoyo a nivel local para los clientes en negocios pequeños y para las actividades que generan ingresos.
Dépistage volontaire; formation locale des soignants et traitement; soutien local des clients dans les petites entreprises et des activités génératrices de revenus.
Ensaios clínicos e rastreio voluntário; treino local para as pessoas que providenciam os cuidados e o tratamento; apoio local para os clientes em pequenos negócios e para as actividades que geram rendimento.

OrganisationSociety for Women and AIDS in Africa (SWAA) 

Postal AddressBP 18486
Douala 

Street AddressCentre Son Ninka
Rue Foch- Quartier Akwa
Douala 

CountryCameroon

Telephone+237 33 42 32 46

Fax+237 33 42 32 46

Emailswaalittoral@yahoo.fr

ContactBeatrice Kom Kamtchueng [Médecin Coordinateur]
Margaret Sanga [Présidente]

Description
En | Es | Fr | PtPrevention; PMTCT; psychological care; social care; medical care; nutrition support for people infected and affected by HIV; nutritional, medical care and school support of orphans and vulnerable children; income generation activities for women living with HIV.

U1195, Please give us an update.  Can you give us more info about life where you both live?  Are there many hospitals, or just one?  Is there free access to healthcare?  Are there elected officials you can talk to?  This definitely tells me I need to learn more about different countries, the governments, resources, etc.   

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 03:07:39 am »
When searching for info about Cameroon and HIV/AIDS, I kept reading how seriously they took the disease and how quickly they responded in the '80's.  However, I was just reading about the problems accessing care.  It appears there is a lot of inequity in services and treatment.  I thought the following article describes the problems the OP, more specifically the girl with HIV/AIDS, has run into.

http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov/MeetingAbstracts/ma?f=102278317.html

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.