Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:20:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 234
Total: 235

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Nutrition, Wumpette Style  (Read 1621438 times)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Re: Nutrition, Wumpette Style
« Reply #3250 on: August 11, 2013, 08:35:54 pm »

It's Shake and Bake and I helped!  Since I don't have a smoker here's how I made my pork tonite. No meth mouth either. Now if only I had some corn puddn and some stewed mateys.

Tasty!

Oh I love me some Shake N Bake chicken, I like to almost burn it. Never tried the pork.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3251 on: August 11, 2013, 08:45:44 pm »
Just buy some good breadcrumbs , I buy the Italian herbs and parmesan cheese one instead of shakenbake . It taste the same and you get 20 times more for half the price , you can buy plain breadcrumbs and add whatevers .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3253 on: August 12, 2013, 04:17:58 pm »
I never use bread crumbs. I admit they are delicious. But i can deal just in baked whole chicken, with skin, or sauteed skinless chicken, with whatever sauce I fancy that day.  I figure that sauce is better soaked up by rice or noodles.

When I crave bread, I eat it directly. When I crave oil, I dip crusty bread in oil.

A guilty pleasure in the winter is simple melted honey and butter, with light toast for dipping.  So fucking delicious.

I have friends who make delicious veges like breaded sauteed Brussels sprouts or mushrooms.

When I was a kid the Sicilians in my hood made all kinds of breaded fried veges.  I loved those fried zucchini flowers.   Also onion rings. Also breaded fried seafood. I never see these dishes in Switzerland and dont think about making them, maybe I should.

The Sicilians had two kitchens. There was the one in the house, for the mom, all perfect, and there was one for the dad in the basement, garage, or outside on the patio or under the porch.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:21:08 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3254 on: August 12, 2013, 05:01:52 pm »
Homemade breadcrumbs are delicious in a simple pasta dish like this, though I also add dried pepper flakes and when ramps are in season substitute them for the parsley and garlic. I frequently buy pain de campagne and save the ends in the freezer to make breadcrumbs.

But like you when I make chicken I prefer to roast a whole one, or just grill boneless breasts (though I should say "de-boned" as I remove the bone myself).

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3255 on: August 12, 2013, 07:24:08 pm »
Homemade breadcrumbs are delicious in a simple pasta dish like this, though I also add dried pepper flakes and when ramps are in season substitute them for the parsley and garlic. I frequently buy pain de campagne and save the ends in the freezer to make breadcrumbs.

But like you when I make chicken I prefer to roast a whole one, or just grill boneless breasts (though I should say "de-boned" as I remove the bone myself).

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3256 on: August 18, 2013, 04:42:11 pm »
Has anyone had a Casaba melon? I never heard of it before and do enjoy melons (fruit  ;).). They're on sale this week and thought I would give it a go.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-casaba-melon.htm#slideshow
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3257 on: August 18, 2013, 05:12:56 pm »
Has anyone had a Casaba melon? I never heard of it before and do enjoy melons (fruit  ;).). They're on sale this week and thought I would give it a go.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-casaba-melon.htm#slideshow

I like some melons also but have never heard of the casaba.  The only thing I read in your link that would give me hesitation, was the author saying it isn't as flavorful as other melons.  I don't eat honeydew because I don't think it has much flavor.  If this has less, I wonder what its flavor value would be.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3258 on: August 18, 2013, 05:19:30 pm »
I like some melons also but have never heard of the casaba.  The only thing I read in your link that would give me hesitation, was the author saying it isn't as flavorful as other melons.  I don't eat honeydew because I don't think it has much flavor.  If this has less, I wonder what its flavor value would be.

Guess it needs lemon juice. :)
I'm gonna try it and report back.

I don't eat too much honeydew either for the same reason. Maybe dunked in dark chocolate?  ;)

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #3259 on: August 18, 2013, 05:22:13 pm »
yes  have  had them  and  make a nice  mixed  "fruit plate "  when you  scoop  some  watermelon, cantelope  and pineapple  in a bowl
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3260 on: August 18, 2013, 05:25:58 pm »
Just two things I have to say on this subject:

1)...I've heard of them  but have no idea what they taste like, I suppose it depends on how sweet do you like your melons, personally I have a very sweet tooth...and

2) I can't believe this thread is still going, with 3257 posts that is definitely a record number of posts ever posted in one thread.

Forget the gold toaster, Will should get the "Golden Stove", maybe then he will start eating at home more often... ;D.

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3261 on: August 18, 2013, 05:27:51 pm »
yes  have  had them  and  make a nice  mixed  "fruit plate "  when you  scoop  some  watermelon, cantelope  and pineapple  in a bowl
LOL! Is the Casaba melon the "filler" fruit? :) I'm having second thoughts now. tee hee.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3262 on: August 18, 2013, 05:29:43 pm »

1)...I've heard of them  but have no idea what they taste like, I suppose it depends on how sweet do you like your melons, personally I have a very sweet tooth...and

2) I can't believe this thread is still going, with 3257 posts that is definitely a record number of posts ever posted in one thread.

Forget the gold toaster, Will should get the "Golden Stove", maybe then he will start eating at home more often... ;D.

Aroha

Are you saying Will didn't cook for you? :o
Do you think a Golden Stove would help? ???

edited to add:
I'm wonderin' what he's feeding the kiddos during his Grandma sitting duties.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 05:44:12 pm by mitch777 »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3263 on: August 18, 2013, 05:32:57 pm »

Aroha

I think Tim Hunter was promised a gold sex toy for posting awhile back and didnt get it , he promised to start a riot if any other peeps got prize before he got his .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3264 on: August 18, 2013, 05:42:19 pm »
Are you saying Will didn't cook for you? :o
Do you think a Golden Stove would help? ???

We didn't have enough time for him to cook for us, but he did take us the most beautiful restaurant down on the River Walk in SA.

I think Tim Hunter was promised a gold sex toy for posting awhile back and didn't get it, he promised to start a riot if any other peeps got prize before he got his .

Dear God we better get that sorted right away, we don't want our Tim going on the rampage, you know what he's like when he gets into one of his slapping spree, cover your wrists guys  ;).

Aroha

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #3265 on: August 18, 2013, 06:01:25 pm »

[/quote

Ok - I actually read "stove" as "shower" and was momentarily speechless (not an easy task, as you know Jan)!!

M

Offline mecch

« Reply #3266 on: August 18, 2013, 09:12:38 pm »
I just made fruit salad with peaches, bananas, green grapes, red currents, honeydew, peach and lime juice, brown sugar and Cynar...  This is going to be heaven after a day or two in the fridge. Its best a couple of days old actually.

Its raining tonight. This afternoon it was sunny so I washed two vintage (50s) swiss wool blankets and rinsed them xx times, they are clean!, and they are outside on the line. I guess I'll let them get rinsed by the summer rain tonight. They'll smell good in October when summer is gone.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #3267 on: August 18, 2013, 09:35:05 pm »
Switzerland has a fair amount of German food. I made Rumtopf last year but didn't get around to starting it this spring. I suppose it's not too late I could start it now.
http://www.germandeli.com/rumtopfrecipe.html

Look at his divine Rumtopf pot:

379.99 on ebay.....

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3268 on: August 19, 2013, 12:07:02 am »

Ok - I actually read "stove" as "shower" and was momentarily speechless (not an easy task, as you know Jan)!!

How the hell did you get Shower from stove..oh wait I know, it's because you have a dirty mind.   ;)

Aroha

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3269 on: August 19, 2013, 12:11:38 am »
Switzerland has a fair amount of German food. I made Rumtopf last year but didn't get around to starting it this spring. I suppose it's not too late I could start it now.

Look at his divine Rumtopf pot:

379.99 on ebay.....

I looked up your link, I had never heard of Rumtopf before, I like 1 and 3 in the recipe but 2 not so much, that seems like a lot of sugar to me.

I love the Rumtopf Pot, it's beautiful.

Aroha
Jan

Offline mecch

« Reply #3270 on: August 19, 2013, 09:11:04 am »
Its a sugar and alcohol fest, that's for sure. 
Mostly the reason I prefer my quick light version of making fruit salads with aromatic herby alcohols and sugar, but not too much...

Offline Habersham

« Reply #3271 on: August 19, 2013, 03:55:59 pm »
I thought fruit salad was mixed fruit? Maybe with some fresh mint and chopped almonds.

That stuff looks great but it's preserved fruit.

I've have been trying to preserve my brain in brandy for years but I think it backfired.
Because I Can

Offline mecch

« Reply #3272 on: August 19, 2013, 04:37:41 pm »
I like italian and french bitter/sweet liquors, like Suze, Campari, Cynar, etc.  These are made with "herbs" and also quite often vegetable roots of various sorts...   Was just saying, I splash alcohol and sugar in my fresh fruit salad and let it marinate a bit.

Yep, Rumtopf is preserved fruit. Fruit, sugar, rum, and it marinates for months, but you keep adding new fruit as they come in season.

Offline ds4146

« Reply #3273 on: August 19, 2013, 09:38:45 pm »
379.99 on ebay.....
After reading that recipe I now understand my Mr. W. eats the crap he does. Way to much work, time and liquor. Like the pot though.  :P

Offline mecch

« Reply #3274 on: August 19, 2013, 10:06:19 pm »
Today I craved and so ate franks and beans...  Delicious!
All the swiss organic stuff was on sale when I went to the market on Saturday.
I never noticed some of these products before. I bought these organic pastas
penne with amaranth
casarecce with buckwheat
smooth penne with quinoa
shells with spelt
wonder if it will be any good? I've had some pretty gross whole wheat pastas but also some delicious ones.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3275 on: August 19, 2013, 11:05:01 pm »
I have been using a pasta made by Dreamfield and it great for diabetics , I can eat a nice size portion and it doesn't budge my blood sugar . Its not a light as in texture as premium pasta but I love being able to have it and it not wreck my diet . Its also only about $4 a box .

I have lost 16lbs in one month and I'm down to 170 simply by tweaking my diet .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #3276 on: August 21, 2013, 10:44:47 am »
I had dried chamois meat to nibble on today at lunch at a colleague's house.
Its some kind of goat-antelope mix in the Alps.

My host said it was wild and had been cured in deepest Switzerland.

It was pretty tender and quite "musky".

We have cerf (red deer) and Chevreuil (not even sure of the translation), and boar, in the local supermarket but I never tried any preparation of chamois. A lot of the other mentioned animals are farm raised....

I have never seen Ibex meat. I see the animal sometimes.  I think its too wonderful looking and would feel quite odd eating it.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3277 on: August 21, 2013, 10:53:54 am »
Mecch , you could just eat around the cute parts .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #3278 on: August 21, 2013, 11:46:59 am »
dog and baby chevreuil

Offline mecch

« Reply #3279 on: August 21, 2013, 11:50:54 am »

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3280 on: August 21, 2013, 03:05:04 pm »
Reporting back on the Casaba melon.
Not so good. :P
The flesh was white with a blush of green. (lighter than a honeydew)
The texture was kinda like an overripe cantaloupe. A bit mushy.
It tasted like a mild sweet cucumber.
So, if you like mushy sweet cucumbers this is the melon for you. ;)

It would probably be ok mixed with other fruits but why bother.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3281 on: August 21, 2013, 05:37:09 pm »
Reporting back on the Casaba melon.
Not so good. :P
The flesh was white with a blush of green. (lighter than a honeydew)
The texture was kinda like an overripe cantaloupe. A bit mushy.
It tasted like a mild sweet cucumber.
So, if you like mushy sweet cucumbers this is the melon for you. ;)

It would probably be ok mixed with other fruits but why bother.

I agree, why bother.  It doesn't sound good at all.  I like cucumbers but not mushy ones. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3282 on: August 21, 2013, 05:50:36 pm »
I agree, why bother.  It doesn't sound good at all.  I like cucumbers but not mushy ones.
Live and learn.  Having turkey tacos tonight to bring my taste buds to a happy place. :)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3283 on: August 21, 2013, 05:55:55 pm »
I love most fruit ( no jokes please ) but cantaloup smells and taste like rotten food to me . I cant stand grapefruit either , I usually like some bitter foods but grapefruit is just too much .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3284 on: August 21, 2013, 06:01:51 pm »
I love most fruit ( no jokes please ) but cantaloup smells and taste like rotten food to me . I cant stand grapefruit either , I usually like some bitter foods but grapefruit is just too much .
I wonder why they call it "grapefruit". Silly name.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3285 on: August 21, 2013, 06:02:45 pm »
I wonder why they call it "grapefruit". Silly name.

Its the fruit that makes you wish you were eating grapes .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3286 on: August 21, 2013, 06:07:15 pm »
Its the fruit that makes you wish you were eating grapes .
LOL! ;D

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3287 on: August 21, 2013, 06:25:51 pm »
this was interesting.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3288 on: August 22, 2013, 09:20:55 pm »
Oh Hai Yall!

Ps-

Just big pimpin chillin with some barleys and Little Mermaid

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3289 on: August 22, 2013, 09:38:31 pm »
Miss P adores tête de veau and ate it the first night I was in France this past May, along with snails and fromage blanc.

Right now I am having authentic Italian meatballs courtesy of Di Bruno Bros. and herbed roasted potatoes. Tahitian vanilla bean gelato is for dessert!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:40:57 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline mecch

« Reply #3290 on: August 23, 2013, 06:53:29 am »
Here's a hot daddy from Malibu, some sort of fitness guru and advocate for "primal living", and his take on organ meats. 
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/organ-meats/#axzz2cmuXe3YV

I wonder what "organ meat" marinated in HGH tastes like....  ::)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3291 on: August 23, 2013, 04:04:03 pm »
gross

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3292 on: August 24, 2013, 12:25:45 pm »
MISS P WINS AGAIN

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3293 on: August 24, 2013, 12:31:11 pm »
I think tonight Im going to have to order out BECAUSE rumor has it NSYNC is reuniting on the VMA's tonight!

YEs YEs YEs ! Oh God Yes!

Ps- I hope everyone hasnt porked out since the 90's, although we know JT is still rockin that bod.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mecch

« Reply #3294 on: August 24, 2013, 02:45:41 pm »
Anyone have a recipe for a greenish soup that freezes well?  Split pea or something?

I'm making cannabis oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I prepared the canna butter the other day. 

For some reason, I got a sort of 1 2 3 Jello result this time.  Usually after chilling, there's a nice thick solid green fragrant canna butter on top, and useless water that I chuck. 

But this time I got a thinner butter top.  A pudding-like soapy middle. And then the useless water...  I taked the pudding stuff and it was herby and a bit oily so Im assuming theres some TCH in it.  So i want to use the pudding stuff in some sort of herby soup....

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3295 on: August 24, 2013, 03:11:19 pm »
I had a very tasty pastry this morning from Macri's Italian Bakery.

http://www.macrisbakery.com/

If I eat one of the pastries every Saturday I'll gain about 50 lbs.  BTW, when I had the "wedding" with my ex-wife, we got our wedding cake from them.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3296 on: August 24, 2013, 03:25:26 pm »
Enjoying delicious (take out) Awadi Lamb Korma from Tiffin -- mere blocks away at their new Federal Street location! Followed by a bowl of fresh peaches and strawberries, along with a bottle of cold pressed Corsican blend La Colombe Pure Black coffee (made in lovely Filthydelphia no less!).

And yes, at $6 a bottle I only buy this a couple of times a year :) Oh, and ***this just in*** La Colombe is making their own upscale artisanal rum. Will definitely have to try that out and give out as Christmas prezzies.

Then again, their Soho store just developed a special coffee blend with Leonardo DiCaprio.

>>> special fun fact: Leonardo once bummed a light off of me in 1998, and then asked for directions to Next modeling agency.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:45:57 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3297 on: August 24, 2013, 06:03:52 pm »
Then again, their Soho store just developed a special coffee blend with Leonardo DiCaprio.

It's light coffee, I like dark, but it's for a good cause.  Will have to come to Philly maybe next year, and try those lavender donuts.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3298 on: August 24, 2013, 06:10:15 pm »
cold pressed Corsican blend La Colombe Pure Black coffee (made in lovely Filthydelphia no less!).

mmmm, that looks delish. I wonder if I could get that down here, maybe at Whole foods?
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3299 on: August 24, 2013, 06:24:42 pm »
mmmm, that looks delish. I wonder if I could get that down here, maybe at Whole foods?
Stumptown Cold Brew is also delish, and yes I'm sure you should be able to find it at Whole Foods or any gourmet type place.

OH -- WE HAVE VIDEO!  http://vimeo.com/65904436

That Elixr Coffee place you always see me hanging out at on facebook makes their own cold brew coffee and it's even tastier than these others, though all of them are worthy. But how can one honestly resist these hipsters?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.