Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:39:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 250
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 251
Total: 252

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Old Skoolers vs. n00bs  (Read 13881 times)

Offline 404error

Old Skoolers vs. n00bs
« on: October 21, 2007, 08:11:00 pm »
I've noticed during my brief tenure as a member of this website that there seems to be some sort of antimocity between some long term survivors and those who are more recently diagnosed.  I'm wondering what this is exactly?  As someone who has only been living with HIV for just under two years I would fall into the n00b category.  I'm curious as to why this comes up from time to time.  What are the concerns of those who have lived and battled with the disease for years?  Do they feel that those who are recently diagnosed are less concerned with the long term repercussions of livng with HIV/AIDS than those who have been dealing with the disease for 5, 10, 20+ years?  I think ultimately we're all living with the same disease whether it was contracted 27 years ago, 27 months ago, or 27 minutes ago.  This however doesn't seem to be the way that many members of this site seem to view things.  I'm not suggesting that my own views are superior in any way to the views of someone else.  I'd just like to know why I come across posts where a LTS is coming down hard on someone who has been more recently diagnosed.  I'd like to know why oftentimes, these posts come across as bitter and/or condescending.  Is this a way of stratifying the hardships of living and coping with HIV/AIDS? 

I'm not picking any fights here.  I'm not suggesting that one group is wrong while the other is right.  I'd just like to know what exactly this is and why it happens as I've experienced attitudes like this through a local ASO as well.
A social critic who promotes equality...

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
Re: Old Skoolers vs. n00bs
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 08:37:05 pm »
In the time it'll take me to write something decent, I'm sure there'll be scads of lightning-fast typists on the case and do a better job than me. But just for the fun of it:

There are actually many subsets of folk here on AIDSmeds, what with gay men and straight women and straight men, Europeans and Americans and Canadians and Aussies and Asians and the stray African. There are cautious types and risk-takers and those who take their meds and those who don't always. We break down into those who never practice safe(r) sex and those who wouldn't consider sex unless it's wrapped and those who will cop to enjoying recreational drugs, those who never do them and those who do them but choose not to discuss it in an open forum.

We each have our own perspective and viewpoint and (usually) respect the other's choices (except for conservatives who are always fair game  ;D )

Now to the matter at hand, that endless and tiresome conflict of noobs and dinosaurs:

The recently diagnosed tend to have not actually suffered from opportunistic infections or nasty side effects from the meds. They may well not know anyone else who is poz and open about it. They frequently have great jobs with excellent insurance and have no concept of how it feels to live on $500 a month (more or less). They probably never experienced the loss of a friend or partner to AIDS.

It is also easy to be condescending of the 1970s-80s, when many of us dinosaurs were randy bright young things. It all seems like such ancient history that there are no practical applications for the lessons learned in those by-gone times to the lives of today's newly-infected. Our struggles seem quaint relics of another era, and our practical concerns and pragmatic attitudes can seem tinged with bitterness.

Noobs are fed hope in the promises of future treatments that many of we dinosaurs fear we'll not live to see. But wise noobs listen to our stories and respect our experience, just like wise dinos don't crush optimism out of hand as Pollyannish hogwash.
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 08:46:06 pm »
Good post, Bucko.

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 08:58:23 pm »
Proud to be a dinosaur   :D
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 08:59:52 pm »
I'd like to know why oftentimes, these posts come across as bitter and/or condescending.  Is this a way of stratifying the hardships of living and coping with HIV/AIDS?  

You say you don't want to pick fights Up, but that is the same question I ask myself every time you complain about the double standard you receive as a white heterosexual male.  

I think ultimately we are all living with the same disease whether we are gay, straight, black or white, man or woman. This however doesn't seem to be the way you view things.

Offline 404error

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 09:07:16 pm »
I'm not picking fights here.  We're I picking a fight, the above mentioned quote would read

I'd like to know why oftentimes, these posts come across as bitter and/or condescending.  THIS IS a way of stratifying the hardships of living and coping with HIV/AIDS.

as opposed to

I'd like to know why oftentimes, these posts come across as bitter and/or condescending.  Is this a way of stratifying the hardships of living and coping with HIV/AIDS?

All I've done here is ask a question.  I've not accused anyone of anything. 

I think ultimately we are all living with the same disease whether we are gay, straight, black or white, man or woman. This however doesn't seem to be the way you view things.

Well, we are and we aren't.  Biologically speaking, HIV is dwindling our CD4 counts and wreaking havoc on our immune systems.  Regardless of age, race, gender or sexuality this is pretty well a truth.  In this regard we are all living with the same disease.  Socially, I wouldn't say we are all equal at all.  We are only equal to those whom we can be categorized to be the same as.  Gays with Gays, Women with Women, IDU's with IDU's, pper class employed persons with adequete insurance coverage with upper class empoyed persons with adequete insurance coverage etc. etc.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 09:11:14 pm by UpAllNight »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 09:14:05 pm »
Socially, I wouldn't say we are all equal at all.  We are only equal to those whom we can be categorized to be the same as.  Gays with gays, women with women, IDU's with IDU's, etc. etc.

Bingo. This is what this thread is about and this is what you are about. And yet you have the nerve to come in here and accuse people of grouping together as old versus new. 

Offline 404error

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 09:22:42 pm »
I didn't "accuse" people of grouping as old and new.  I was identifying it as something that definitely does happen, essentially I was presenting fact.

I appreciate the sidetracking though.  Now, back to the original post thanks!

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 09:39:43 pm »
When I first saw this thread, I was afraid it was going to erupt into something or other. I don't consider myself a newbie or a dinosaur but a woman who is dealing with a virus and trying to make the best of it. I have much respect for those who have been dealing with it longer than I have and I do my best to try to help those who is new to it. I try to understand those who may seem bitter because of it because they have reasons for feeling the way they do. I guess in my eyes it's a matter of respect one way or the other.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline next2u

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 01:52:05 am »
as a noob, i have to say i have received some pretty brash responses from some of the old skoolers. in all honesty, those dinosaurs were correct, and i can respect that. i guess i've been speaking with a lot of pollyannas and i need to hear a cassandra every now and then. life isn't sugarcoated, and the old skoolers have seen it first hand. i respect this, and i respect them. all i got to say is a lil bit of tough love never hurt.

**i read a newbie post saying life wasn't much different now, all he had to do was take meds. this is not realistic for all of us. taking meds? side effects? possible resistance? each of these we could write a book about. the old skoolers are right, the fight isn't gonna be easy. but it is better because of them.

btw, we all may have the same disease, but we are all far from equal. this conversation, if it were to ensue, should be continued on a different thread.
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline northernguy

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 02:09:59 am »
Good post, Bucko.

Yep, as always Bucko sums it up pretty well. :)  It'd be interesting to explore the influence of nationality that he touches on.  To be frank I've always sensed a little less optimism amongst many of our American friends here.  I wonder how much of that is driven by the healthcare system down there, that seems to tie people to jobs they hate, or force them to beg for care when they can no longer work.

I really feel for you guys and gals suffering through that.  If there's one thing we Canucks should be taking notice of, its be ready to fight for our universal healthcare system  in the face of those who will try and dismantle it (aka Stephen Harper)
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 02:41:59 am »
as a noob, i have to say i have received some pretty brash responses from some of the old skoolers. in all honesty, those dinosaurs were correct, and i can respect that. i guess i've been speaking with a lot of pollyannas and i need to hear a cassandra every now and then. life isn't sugarcoated, and the old skoolers have seen it first hand. i respect this, and i respect them. all i got to say is a lil bit of tough love never hurt.

**i read a newbie post saying life wasn't much different now, all he had to do was take meds. this is not realistic for all of us. taking meds? side effects? possible resistance? each of these we could write a book about. the old skoolers are right, the fight isn't gonna be easy. but it is better because of them.

btw, we all may have the same disease, but we are all far from equal. this conversation, if it were to ensue, should be continued on a different thread.

So the noob who I helped gang up on not long ago (I wouldn't take a word of my posts back), sees the benefit of being on the receiving end of a little "tough love" and perspective from we "dinosaurs".  I appreciate that! So let this dinosaur take the side of the newbies, as much as old skoolers.

1)  TO:  Dinosaurs: Nobody likes being lectured, and it's easy to lecture when you have more knowledge or years more experience than the one who starts a thread.

2) TO: Dinosaurs: For the gay men here, remember disclosure issues (sexuality/HIV) are high on a newbie's agenda. Our times we're decidedly different than more recent. If you're "over" sex, it's not that way for so many others (of all ages, both genders).

3)  TO: Newbies: Don't be flippant or careless when expressing joy over your fine #s. Many who are reading can't get there anymore. While most can appreciate your success, it may painfully remind them of their difficulties.

4)  Cassandra?  :o

Bucko made many fine points! HIV is a big world, much bigger than the First World. The differences Northernguy points out between the US "system" and Canadian (or UK or Netherlands or French, etc) universal healthcare makes us light years apart. And sure as individuals, we are different types. For instance, I like my privacy. I would never dream of routinely sharing my #s in a public forum. Or telling everyone at work, and the list goes on. More open people here generate fascinating discussion, especially regarding mental illness.

8)  -megasept

« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 01:54:54 pm by megasept »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 06:25:38 am »
Brent has made several fine points.  As a "dinosaur" myself, I would like to help the n00bs.  But sometimes, it takes a LTS to understand a LTS.  And for me, sometimes what I say comes out callous to a n00b, even if I don't mean it to be.  Quite a few of the more recently diagnosed have really good jobs etc. as stated above.  I've lost countless friends, had a few OIs, been megadosed with AZT when this was the norm, and have long-term effects of both the HIV and the multiple meds I've been on.  I was diagnosed as having full-blown AIDS 13 years ago.  And I'm on disability, trying to just get by.  Not a lot of the more recently diagnosed can say that.  But we're all attempting to live with this virus.   There are different personalities here because every person has their own unique personality.  It's just a fact of life.  And I try to be tolerant of everyone's personality.  Sometimes I might get a little snippy if I feel someone is being attacked.  To be quite honest, I'd probably side with a LTS over a n00b.  But that's me.  Up, you just have to accept that wherever there are different people, there are going to be differences of opinion. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 06:37:10 am »
I hope I treat all of us the same. Being positive is being positive. I think sometimes the newbies don't want to hear what the oldtimes have to say for a multitude of reasons. I'm not a shrink, can't tell you the friction occurs.

I love EVERYONE!
Positive since 1985

Offline chemistry001

• http://www.mygaydar.com/chemistry001
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 07:12:22 am »
I read and digest the words and advice from LTS, the advice is priceless but i also try to have some empathy with them. What they have been through i can only imagine and so what if they are a little ratty at times, i know i would be, i would not change the LTS for anything, with the problems they face they are still on here to offer help.

Being a n00b i am always re-reading my posts before i add them to the site as i am aware that sometimes what you write can be read a different way (this one has taken me a good 15 min to write so far). There is a great fear that i will offend/upset someone with what i write but that can be the nature of the beast which is the Internet.

If everyone takes time to understand where people are coming from and maybe take their posts with a pinch of salt then it maybe could be a little easier on here.

Paul xXx
Diagnosed 01/08/06
CD4-9, VL->500,000, CD4% 1
Started on Sustiva/combivir 22/08/06 changed to kivexa 18/09/06
02/10/06
CD4-50, VL-1496, CD4% 5
04/12/06
CD4-112, VL-125, CD4% 7.5
22/02/07
CD4-121, VL-<50, CD4% 9
29/05/07
CD4-125, VL-71,(re-done 149), CD4% 11
25/09/07
CD4 -231, VL-74, CD4% 15
Cant remember the next few dates
17/01/08  Kaletra and Truvada
CD4 - 281, VL-115
06/03/08
CD4 - 287, VL-178

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 08:07:08 am »
I can't even begin to fanthom the hardships that the LTS diagnosed in the 80s, or even someone diagnosed 10-8 years ago, had been thru and are still going thru. I can't begin to understand how hard it is to live on welfare esp in a none-welfare state. Or be socially rejected and discriminated. Or lose numerous friends in such a devastating way. Or be given a death sentence. Or serve as ginea pigs for the much cruder forms of the already harsh drugs that we have today. I just can't... but I think about it very often. There are people here that are just incredible. They are the vast majority. I think everyone, not just people with HIV, can learn from them about extreme survival against all odds. I really am amazed and thankful that I have the opportunity to learn from them, even the ones that can be a little grouchy. I couldn't care less, they have absolutely earned that right and any right, if there was any sort of justice in the world, they would not just be given some sort of basic disability allowence, they would be actually awarded for their immense contribution to society.   
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 08:36:25 am »
As someone diagnosed 19 years ago, I guess I fall into the old fart category.

I agree with what Paul wrote in that if you assume or misinterpret anything in print, then of course you can find the worst of intentions. But it’s important to remember most of us here are HIV positive and that is our common ground.

I skip over the squabbles and fights and take and give what I need and leave the rest, because frankly, life is too short to waste.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 09:15:44 am »
The recently diagnosed tend to have not actually suffered from opportunistic infections or nasty side effects from the meds. They may well not know anyone else who is poz and open about it. They frequently have great jobs with excellent insurance and have no concept of how it feels to live on $500 a month (more or less). They probably never experienced the loss of a friend or partner to AIDS.

It is also easy to be condescending of the 1970s-80s, when many of us dinosaurs were randy bright young things. It all seems like such ancient history that there are no practical applications for the lessons learned in those by-gone times to the lives of today's newly-infected. Our struggles seem quaint relics of another era, and our practical concerns and pragmatic attitudes can seem tinged with bitterness.

Noobs are fed hope in the promises of future treatments that many of we dinosaurs fear we'll not live to see. But wise noobs listen to our stories and respect our experience, just like wise dinos don't crush optimism out of hand as Pollyannish hogwash.

Some things need to be repeated.  Thanks Bucko!!!
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 10:36:33 am »
I will be 2 years diagnosed this week (or is it three...hmmm) anyway when I came on here I was a very confused scared guy.  Not because I didn't know what HIV was or how I could ever get infected but more of the What Now?

It was the old skoolers (I dint like that term - how about more experienced?) that kept me from jumping out a window.  They put it bluntly, it is gonna suck but you have to keep positive to keep living. 

I think a lot of newbies don't want to hear that.  They want to hear "it will all be ok".  You know what, it wont!!!  It may not be the horror show that it was in the 80s, but your life will drastically change.  I am 32 years old and go to the doctors more then my 65 year old parents...and my numbers are good.  I constantly worry about losing my job and insurance.  I worry about rejection, OI, will the drugs work for me etc.

I honestly say I have never gotten any flippent answer from any Old Skooler, I think in part because I respect their struggle and look to them for guidance and honesty.  I like to know what is coming down the pike...there is a way to do that and stay positive.

But hey, that's just me

Pete

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 10:45:44 am »
I'm not picking any fights here.  I'm not suggesting that one group is wrong while the other is right.  I'd just like to know what exactly this is and why it happens

Looking into my crystal ball, quite frankly I only see this issue of n00bs vs. dinos getting worse. Oh not because any of us are bad people, nor even because any of us is right or wrong (actually BOTH are right, it just depends on your situation). Sheer numbers factor into my prediction.

Every day, more n00bs will join aidsmeds. Why? Everyday more people find out that they are poz. For most the them hiv will actually be a one-a-day manageable chronic illness still resulting in a "normal" lifespan with only mild complications. Why? because the great meds that we have now (and hopefully even better in the future) are changing the rules of the game. It's quite possible than some n00bs may have HIV and never reach AIDS status (thereby actually staying "n00bs" forever) before dying of old age.

On the other hand, many of us now have been on this path for a while. We've seen many pass away and we've waited for the next med as the current regimen fails. Many of us have been hospitalized, and come face to face with our own mortality. Depression and grief have been unwanted companions. As time goes by more of us that began pre-Haart, will be, quite truthfully, growing older and sicker. The meds may not work as well. We'll have more complications. Unfortunately too, we'll also get rather tired of the n00bs going on about how wonderful life is, while us dinos are still clutching the toliet puking from meds.

From my own personal POV, I'm not really certain how happy I can claim to be that I outlived my partner by 14 yrs. For him, the results of HIV/AIDS came quick. For me, it's been a very long hard struggle to continue. Unfortunately, I'm not going to ever be able to be as optimistic as a n00b; but I don't claim defeat either. My life dealing with this has been hard; but it's still better than being dead. ;D So I try not to harbor ill-will when I read the "happy" posts; though I will admit to some envy/jealousy. ;)

In another thread (i should go look it up) someone made the comment that on the timeline of this illness/treatment some of us are just on the wrong side of the coin. With the medical advances, there are now more people on both sides of the coin, so we're bound to clash on our views. And for some time to come.

I think that Daniel's advice is worth keeping in mind:
I skip over the squabbles and fights and take and give what I need and leave the rest, because frankly, life is too short to waste.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Iggy

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 10:51:15 am »
I agree with what Bucko said, though I need to add one other vital thing for noobs in their understand of the old Skoolers....the LTS expereinces with everything thing from regimen failure, resistance, and long term side effects of meds are far from things that only happened once a long time ago to somebody else.

Just because there are better treatment options today does not equate that the above items are no longer happening to others or will not happen to the newly infected. 

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 11:07:11 am »
I think Bucko's post summed up a lot of points very thoroughly and accurately I'd agree with I lot of it.

I think it's almost less about newbie vs. oldbie, but complicated by a host of other issues that Bucko touched on. I find myself agreeing a lot more often with some LTS than some newbies on some issues, but then I agree with some "newbies" or "midtermers" who wouldn't be considered LTS oftentimes too (and I'm far from a newbie, yet probably not yet considered an LTS, so I guess I'm a "midtermer"). And then some newbies and old schoolers I never agree with. It's very complicated. There have been huge improvements in meds that I experience myself and people around me benefitting from, butt here are still huge disparities. I see both sides and we have a long way to go still.

I say just be honest about your opinions (be true to yourself and what you live and see and believe) and keep an open mind to learn from others and people you feel are being genuinely helpful.

Good comment Bucko...

Peace
:)
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline komnaes

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 11:18:23 am »

You're my hero, zen master Dan... ;D
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2007, 06:30:25 pm »
Oh no!

Does this mean I have to shave my head and start wearing robes?
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 07:35:08 pm »
In the time it'll take me to write something decent, I'm sure there'll be scads of lightning-fast typists on the case and do a better job than me. But just for the fun of it:

There are actually many subsets of folk here on AIDSmeds, what with gay men and straight women and straight men, Europeans and Americans and Canadians and Aussies and Asians and the stray African. There are cautious types and risk-takers and those who take their meds and those who don't always. We break down into those who never practice safe(r) sex and those who wouldn't consider sex unless it's wrapped and those who will cop to enjoying recreational drugs, those who never do them and those who do them but choose not to discuss it in an open forum.

We each have our own perspective and viewpoint and (usually) respect the other's choices (except for conservatives who are always fair game  ;D )

Now to the matter at hand, that endless and tiresome conflict of noobs and dinosaurs:

.....worth repeating !

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007, 07:22:55 am »
I am a newbie (thank you for your applauses  ;D )

Now, seriously... I am newbie, that has had to deal with side effects. I started meds like 14 months ago, and already had to have a stop in them, because of REAL bad muscle pain (that cannot be diagnosed).

And then, life comes at you fast. And then your blood work shows that your otherwise young perfect and beatiful body, begins a battle that -like it or not- will kill us. And when you face side effects, or the indredibly tough dizzyness of your meds, then you realize that this is not a one-pill a day thing. And it is in that same moment, that you begin to understand and feel a little bit like and old timer.  Because just in case that we haven't noticed, even when for SOME of us (I hope i am lucky), the prognosis COULD be good, it is not for everyone.  Put plain and simple: Christine just died.  AIDS kills. HIV kills.

And then, fear takes over you. And ten thousand what-if : If I lose my job? If my friends find-out? if people at my neighbourhood find out? If I disclose to a cute guy? If meds fail? If I cannot afford meds anymore? If I get kidney stones? If my liver simply fails? if,? if? if?

I respect old-timers. Without them, many of the meds, and nice thing we take for granted today, wouldn't be here.

Alex

Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline planonstaying

• Hiv is the FOX,tcells the rabbit, CALL the HOUNDS!
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007, 07:41:36 am »
"stand together or fall apart"
Shouldn't this be a place to focus on commonalities? I am at work right now  and I feel'different" enough. I come to this forum because  you have something in common with me. Some of you have more experience  dealing with it  and good advice. Some have more experience and crappy advice. Some have been very sick, some have not.  Everyone has  felt  the 'weight" of it.  Anyone who tries  to denigrate  that because i was  infected in a different decade has seperated  themselves from the herd emotionally.  You  may get some ego  inflation from it  but in the end   what all us Noobs say  or experiences  we share  are less valid in your eyes and if you  live long enough  you will end up alone in the room  full  of friends
If someone tells you  potential consequences of a behavior  it  doesn't  mean they jude you or mit    they may just give a shit about you

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 07:05:01 pm »
As a fossil, er... dinosaur, it would be my hope to share whatever experience or knowledge I have with those infected more recently and, by doing this, possibly help them avoid some of the things some of us have had to live through.

On the other hand, I need the vitality, energy and hope many of the newer people have, regardless of their age, to help keep me from stagnating and losing touch with things as they change.

So, I think it is a pretty good thing that these types of interchanges happen.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007, 07:56:37 pm »
As a fossil, er... dinosaur, it would be my hope to share whatever experience or knowledge I have with those infected more recently and, by doing this, possibly help them avoid some of the things some of us have had to live through.

On the other hand, I need the vitality, energy and hope many of the newer people have, regardless of their age, to help keep me from stagnating and losing touch with things as they change.

Agreed.

At 37 and three years into diagnosis, I catagorically fit into the newbie column.  Yet that's not a classification that I identify with at all.  The Old Skooler term doesn't particularly click with me either, as it seems to have an outdated feel to it.  This whole tired and rehashed business has always baffled me, and now it rather bores me as well.  I've always assumed HIV to be a commonality that would render all these other classifications (including IDU's, sex workers, what have you) moot.

Time and again, HIV has shown us all where and how we weren't paying proper attention.

So you tell me which voices are less important.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 07:58:11 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline allanq

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2007, 09:37:03 pm »
I often find much wisdom in postings by the recently diagnosed, and sometimes I disagree with those who've lived with this disease for decades.

I wish we'd stop using the labels of newbies and old-timers and just treat everyone as individuals and try to be helpful to each other.

Allan

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2007, 11:22:49 pm »
Very well stated, Allan.

I always say this in these type of threads, so now is as good a time as any for me to say it:   We are all on the same journey......we are just at different points along the way.

As one who has a few miles on his odometer, I'd like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank those of you that consider yourself "newbies" who have shown much respect and appreciation for those of us who have lived with this for 10, 15, and 20+ years.   Your kindness has not gone unnoticed.  In the South, we say "you were raised right".  ;D

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline PJC0510

• Life is worth living, so live it while you have it
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2007, 09:43:36 am »
I totally agree that the newbies (which I am) can and should learn from the long time survivors that Bucko stated.  The guy I am currently dating is an LTS, he was diasnosed in 1987.  I listen to  everything he says.  I look up to him as my mentor in  doing what is right with the disease.

His frame of mind and his lifestyle is one that I am trying to emulate. 

I may never beat HIV, but then again, it will NEVER beat me!

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2007, 11:30:30 am »
As one who has a few miles on his odometer, I'd like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank those of you that consider yourself "newbies" who have shown much respect and appreciation for those of us who have lived with this for 10, 15, and 20+ years.   Your kindness has not gone unnoticed.  In the South, we say "you were raised right". 

And I hearty thank you to the 'wiser' of the tribe who put up with our questions and listen to us whine. 

Alan - you have a special place in my heart for being there from the beginning for me.  Your Jack O' Latern is reminding me I need to get me a pumpking to carve.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2007, 11:32:40 am »
reminding me I need to get me a pumpking to carve.

you plan on cutting some great top?   :D

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2007, 11:58:23 am »
Bwahaha, Freudian slip by Pete

I can't even deal with 'old skoolers versus noobs' when i'm feeling this way

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2007, 01:22:31 pm »
If I could find a great top maybe I wouldnt be depressed :) 

Offline newone

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2007, 02:04:04 pm »
If I could find a great top or bottom maybe I wouldnt be depressed  :-*
Sustiva, Atripla, Complera, Stribild, Genvoya. Odefsey, Dovato.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.