Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:50:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 624
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 608
Total: 608

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Do you take your daily drugs with fewd?  (Read 4039 times)

Offline poz1970

Do you take your daily drugs with fewd?
« on: September 24, 2007, 05:43:45 am »
Howdy,

Recently I'd been having some major stomach issues (7 weeks of anal wee really fucked me up), and imodium was just blocking me up alot, along with a lack of energy..

So I started taking my tablets Viramune 200mg, Lamivudine 150mg and Ziagen 300mg (all twice a day), and zoloft 100mg... with food, and the stomach pain/issues seem to have slowed down (hopefully stopped, give it a week, before I'm sure).  My cd4 at last test was 729 (was under 100 when diagnosed)  -- I have noticed that regardless of my cd4, it doesn't help with any feeling of wellness though :-(

Has any one else had any experience with taking their tablets with food?

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
Re: Do you take your daily drugs with fewd?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 07:37:03 am »
I always take mine just before dinner...
but lately I've noticed I've had cramps again. 
The other night I had to use an enema to get things rolling
and once it started I didn't think it would ever end.   And this is a new development.
No doubt every day is an adventure when your taking HIV meds.
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 10:33:01 am »
No doubt every day is an adventure when your taking HIV meds.

Truer words were never spoken!
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline alberche

• a distancia del mundo incierto, saludo mi suerte
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 02:13:20 pm »
Hiya...

True, every day is different!!!!

I take Truvada plus Reyataz plus Norvir... Truvada you can take it with or without food. Reyataz is recommended to be taken with at least a snack.

I take alll the pills at dinner, during dinner, not at the end of it or at the beginning. It took some months to me to discover that this was the best way to reduce cramps, diarrhoea and gases. I find also helpful a lactobacillus yoghourt every day in the morning and a normal non sugar yougourt at night, before going to bed.

Sometimes, when travelling, or at work, and I cannot take a real meal, I then take a snack, but gases and liquid "tides" appear again!!! Not as hard as at the beginning... but... they come back and it takes the whole thing a couple of days to "normalize" again.

In the end I think that if your meds allow it, taking them with food, a real complete food, is much better.

Hugs :-)
love is blindness...  a wonderful song!

Offline RobT

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 07:34:18 pm »
I try not to take my med(s) w/ food. The bottle of Atripula suggests not to take it w/ food, so does my doc. That is not to say that u cannot take it w/ food...just a recommendation. I noticed cramps when I take my Atripula closer to when I eat, so I tend to not have anything in my stomach for at least 1.5 hrs b4 I take my meds.

Rob
Current meds: Atripla
VL: undetectable
CD4: 630

Offline Just John

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 07:50:16 pm »
Well up 'til now I've been one of the lucky buggers whose side effects have been minimal.

I am on my first regimen of 400mg Viramune, 300mg Lamivudine and 245mg tenofovir once daily, the Viramune was originally twice a day.

I was told that with/before/after food was irrelevant with these meds for their efficacy, but a health adviser later told me that generally speaking, with food generally gave fewer, or less severe side effects.

I had mild cramps for a couple of months; and nuclear farts which persist to this :-[ day but thankfully the 'with food' advice seems to be the best one for me.

I certainly notice a difference if I take them on an empty stomach when the cramps return and it takes a couple of days to settle down again.

different meds have different needs though so it's important to read the instructions and take advice from the Doc's and Nurses.

John
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 07:52:13 pm by Just John »
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 08:29:26 pm »
The bottle of Atripla I have says take with food so I listened...BIG MISTAKE...Not just by me but by the pharmacy as well. My doc doesn't want me to take with food and now I know why. I usually take my diabetic meds upon getting up  or really after I check my sugar, which is on an empty stomach because my fasting sugars tend to be high sometimes.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 09:38:50 pm »
I was on Kaletra and I had to take it with food -- and I made sure it was something bready like a bagel and found it helped settle my stomach. I would get mild manageable bouts of nausea for about an hour after each dose (though not every single time) and the food helped somewhat.

I switched docs and he quickly took me off the Kaletra because I had options and he's big on quality of life and working to get people on regimens they tolerate well. If your symptoms don't improve, and you have options, and the sides are too much, I'd suggest exploring a new regimen. While the Kaletra was manageable, making the switch to Sustiva was the best move I made (and one I wish I had made much earlier).

Best of luck,
Mike :)))))
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 11:49:08 pm »
I have been on Sustiva and Trizivir for a couple of years now.  Neither require to be taken with food.  Looking back over the past 11 years with AIDS and meds, I have always gone for the choices in meds which do not require being taken with food.

Recently at the optomitrist office, I was silent but deadly. In the early years, I never left the house unless I could walk home and not be seen...  This in itself was an amazing feat for Los Angeles.  I called it the "3 minute warning" because within 3 minutes of the first sudden urge to take a dump, there was one.  Today, I can laugh about it here in the Forums but 10 years ago, it was easier to remain isolated.

I have adjusted my life around it by never having appointments before noon and rarely have lunch with friends.  Have the best day
Michael

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.