Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:21:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773293
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 701
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 650
Total: 652

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Malaysian Jet Shot Down in Ukraine: 295 Dead  (Read 33391 times)

Offline tednlou2

Re: Malaysian Jet Shot Down in Ukraine: 295 Dead
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2014, 02:08:56 pm »
Lets be clear. The last few presidents' foreign policies have been total failures. Bush was a fool and an idiot, with the disaster war of choice in Iraq, and Obama's has been laughable. Obama seems totally detactched and out of touch and he alwas seems behind the curve on major events. As far as Hillary Clinton, I'm not clear on anything she accomplished as Secretary of State. As an Independent Progressive, I've been extremely troubled by the total  failurres in leadership during the last two preidents tenures and neither did anything to counter or articlate to the world how dangerous Russia is.

We need war crimes charges brought against those who shot down the plane, heavy targeted sanctions against Russia, and putting missile defense back in Europe to protect our allies and deterring Russia from invading any other countries.

The world is getting disastrous and Russia is run by thugs. Obama set red lines in Syria and didn't follow through and Moscow took notes and took Crimea. And Putin snickers at Obama because he knows he can basically do what he wants and Obama won't do anything. All talk no actions.

Do we have the moral authority for that, when Bush and Cheney were never brought up on war crimes?  There were never even calls for impeachment, when we hear those every day for Obama doing healthcare.  Cheney is invited on every Sunday morning show, as if he has any credibility.  Many atrocities were made by our country and Blackwater. 

President Obama was right on Syria.  Their chemical weapons have now been (or may still be in process) removed. We got it done, without any of our soldiers killed.  As I said earlier, people like John McCain wanted us to arm Syrian Rebels with the same hardware as the Russian rebels.  It often comes back to bite us, when we do those kinds of things.  They could be used against us or our friends.  They could have shot down a commercial plane, with our weapons.  Although, America would be given a pass for that.  Putin would have done Crimea, regardless. 

Europe has put economic interests over punishing Putin.  Europe needs to do something.  They've taken a huge loss here, so we will see what they do. 

Offline zach

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2014, 02:55:52 pm »
right or wrong, russia cannot and will never give up the the kerch strait. half of their naval fleet is on the other side of it, and would be cut off from the black sea and mediterranean. this will lead to a world war if mishandled.

again, the action was wrong, but what in the hell was a commercial aircraft doing flying over a war zone? i know for fact that most carriers have been diverting around that airspace. why malay air hasn't is beyond my understanding

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2014, 03:21:25 pm »
I've heard 18 other planes had traveled that same route on that day.  And, many more than that in the week.  But, you're right.  A flight ban should have been made.  They just told jets to fly above 22,000 feet.  Those missiles can reach 23,000 feet (obviously) and higher.  I've heard different arguments that the skies are crowded to it would add thousands of dollars to their fuel cost and they would have to pay the countries they fly over.  I wonder how many international travelers are now asking where exactly the plane flies.  Is it over any war zones?

Since this is in Living, David Gregory interviewed Dr. Fauci LIVE from Australia, on Meet the Press.  They discuss the colleagues lost, which now appears to be 6 and not 108.  Dr. Fauci said his good friend who perished would always say, "If we can get Coca-cola into many parts of Africa, then we can surely get HIV meds."  They went on to discuss the goals of the conference, which mainly focused on getting more people into treatment. 

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2014, 03:46:21 pm »
Why not wait until an investigation before saying that Russia and Putin are the responsible parties....  I mean, I'm thinking most of the so called super powers, and CERTAINLY the usa, provide/sell/traffic arms to the miscellaneous "rebels" they currently favour.  The USA didn't slap around Saudi Arabia but it was clear SA funded Al-Qaeda and its terrorism that cost the US so many lives.

I mean its a bit hypocritical. 

Early signs seem to point that Russian made missile launchers arrived the day or day before this missile attack. It looks like the pro-russian separatist either made a colossal mistake, or purposefully if rather inexplicably shot down a civilian airliner...  Shouldn't the first finger pointing go at this band of "separatists" and, then, yah, by extension Russia for "supplying" weapons.  I consider it far-fetched and also convenient to name Putin as the culprit, when it was probably some dimwit half-trained yahoos...
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2014, 03:51:34 pm »
Ukrainian officials and news sites published images and footage allegedly showing the presence of at least one Buk SA-11 in a town near the crash site. The sophistication of the weaponry needed to bring down a plane at the height at which MH17 was flying makes it, Kerry said, "pretty clear that this is a system that was transferred from Russia into the hands of separatists." U.S. officials said Sunday that there was also evidence that the rebels had attempted to move the missile system back to Russia after the MH17 crash.

emphasis added

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/07/20/the-evidence-that-may-prove-pro-russian-separatists-shot-down-mh17/

Here is the dimwit murderer, it seems:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11295584

He was fine to take down an airliner, reporters claim, because he thought it was Ukranian... 

Igor Girkin, who also goes by the nom de guerre Strelkov, is reported to have claimed that his forces shot down a plane in the Donbass region of eastern Ukraine at 5.50pm (GMT+4), shortly before reports emerged the passenger jet was missing.

"We have issued warnings not to fly in our airspace. We have video confirming. The bird fell on a waste heap. Residential areas were not hit. Civilians were not injured," he is reported to have said.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 03:56:08 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2014, 04:45:15 pm »
Yea the evidence is pretty obvious at this point. Russia started this horrendous crisis by invading Ukraine and annexing Crimea, and pouring their arms and weaponry into East Ukraine, along with technical advisors and probably Spetsnatz members of the Russian Special Forces & the FSB. The purpose was to support anti-Ukranian, pro-Russian sentiment in East Ukraine. Putin will never allow Ukraine to be fully united member of the West. Far East Ukraine is mostly Russian speakers and have deep religious/ethnic ties to Moscow unlike West Ukraine.

Eventually Ukraine will probably be divided into a loose weak confederation, with the east controlled by Moscow and the west pretty much independent and pro-Europe.

But Russia is totally responsible for the shoot down of MH17 because the created the conditions that caused this crime by arming the pro-Russian rebels in East Ukraine and sending in the heavy weapons like the BUK missile system that likely brought the airplane down.

It's clear who did it, whether the rebels ordered b Russian Special Forces pulled the trigger, or an actual member of the Russian military did, they did it.

Now we have to get clear on what can be done about it. In the next few days world leaders will probably continue calling out this atrocity for what it is, and demand that the site be protected. But at this point Russia has pretty much gotten and hidden every thing they think is incriminating. They'll probably do what they always do..just like with their horrendous anti-gay laws..lie, lie, and try and cover up the truth.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2014, 03:29:34 pm »
Sorry Grasshopper.

RIP all the dead

Peace to the love ones off the innocent dead.

Putin May your dreams sicken you nightly.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Online Grasshopper

« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2022, 05:13:07 am »
I am shaking writing this : My nextdoor neighbours were on that flight. This morning I dropped them off at the airport. I have their housekey to feed the cats.
The parents were here a moment ago, and now gone to the airport for information.
This is sick sick sick,  I have to stop shaking.  Such nice and sweet people 32 & 34yrs old

I've been following the news since last fall.....fearing what became reality today.

Online Grasshopper

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2022, 06:47:39 am »
I am aware that this has nothing to do with Living with HIV.

Offline Palliate

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2022, 10:26:41 am »
Question for MODs:  why is this topic in the Living With HIVforum?
Infected Spring 2012
Seroconverted probably in June 2012
POZ test 10/22/12
CD4 549 VL 171,000+ as of 11/09/12
Started Atripla 11/28/12

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2022, 10:30:31 am »
It's from 2014 ... Before my time on this forum, so I can only presume it was simply overlooked. If you have any concerns about a thread/post on the forum you can use the "Report to moderator" function or send a PM.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 10:33:22 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.