Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:40:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 191
Total: 191

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Possibly infected - Very scared  (Read 7751 times)

Offline minus_25

Possibly infected - Very scared
« on: December 14, 2006, 03:26:19 pm »
Hi everyone.  I know you're not doctors and that hiv infection can't be diagnosed by symptoms, but I'm going through a scary time now, and would like to know if these symptoms sound familiar to ARS or seroconversion.  The last time I got tested for hiv was January 2006 and the results were negative.  I am a 28 year old male.  Here is my story:

On November 9, I went to a bath house.  I did not have unprotected sex.  No condoms broke and only one person came inside me with a condom.  I made a point to check that the condom was not broken when he pulled out.  I did give and receive unprotected oral (although nobody ejaculated in my mouth and I didn't ejaculate in anyone else's mouth).  But I am not sure about precum.

Two weeks later on Thanksgiving I came down with a fever of 100.5 and I did vomit.  The fever lasted for like 1.5 - 2 days and went away.

The following Friday, December 8, I started developing a rash all over my arms, torso, and tops of legs.  It was not really itchy.  No fever, vomiting or diarrhea occurred with the rash, it was just a rash.  I went to the doctor on Monday with the rash and he prescribed me methylprednisolone and hydroxyzine.  (I didn't tell him about the incident at the bath house) The rash went completely away by Wednesday.  I have been worried and depressed after I have been researching ARS and seroconversion on the web and am thinking I became infected with what I went through.

I know it might still be early to find (5 weeks), but I made an appointment to get tested for STDs, including hiv at the doctor's office tomorrow, December 15.

Like I said above, I know you're not doctors, but you hear a lot of stories and give great advice, so I would like your opinions on my experience.  I think you guys do an great service with these forums.

thank you,
minus_25

Offline dixieman

Re: Possibly infected - Very scared
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 04:26:05 pm »
Well just get tested and wait for the results... thats about all you can do. good luck!

Offline very worried!

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 06:21:07 pm »
Hi, i am very sorry for writing in this thread but im desperate to get an answer and i cant fingure out how to start my own. A while ago i deeply fingured a girl while she was on her period for about 20 mins max. She then gave me oral sex for about half a minute and i had a small sore on the side of my penis. The part that worries me the most is my penis rubbed against her vagina, she was naked but i had my underwear on but they are nylon so not very thick. I hadnt noticed she was on her period untill about 20 mins later when i went to the bathroom and notcied quite a lot of blood on my hands and also on my underwear where i was rubbing against her vagina for a couple of minutes. 2 months later before i knew about hiv symptoms i developd a dotted rash on my back, confimed swollen glands which was apparantly a viral infection, and mouth ulcers (about 5 in a week). My doctor advised against testing saying that hiv was only passed through actual sex and prodominantly anal sex (excuse me spelling) and there was no way i had it. After several visits to him he ordered a blood test to put my mind at rest. I took the blood test at 13 weeks and i believe it was the antibody test combined with p24 and i also had a full blood count as well as many others. All the results came back negative and he went through all my results saying that there was absolutly nothing wrong with me. I should say i dont no if she is hiv+ but she has a history of sleeping around (unprotected) because as she says (i am on the pill and i no everyone i have sex with!) I find it hard understanding that these symptoms all came at once after this event happened, the thing i am most worried about is the rubbing of my penis on her vagina even tho i had my underwear on my penis could of easily slipt out or blood could of got through and of course she was on her period, could you please tell me if its possible for hiv to be caught this way, (Afterall it is penis and vaginal contact!) Isnt that a risk? The oral sex and fingering i am not going to ask about as i no what the answer will be and i dont want to waiste your time! Many thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 06:52:58 pm »
Very, you can't simply insert a new question in someone else's thread.

When you click into the list of threads, just scroll down to the last one and click on "new topic." Then you can begin your own thread and you'll get answers there.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 06:56:37 pm »
Minus, as you already know neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. I will say the rash you described did not last as long the one associated with ARS usually does.

It's good to read you're using condoms for intercourse. Way to go! Giving oral is at the very low end of the risk scale, particularly if ejaculation doesn't take place. Receiving oral is no risk to you whether you ejaculate or not.

For anyone who's sexually active it's a good idea to have a full STD panel done regularly. Other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV.

If any of your symptoms persist you should discuss them with your doctor.

Good luck with your test. Nothing you have reported leads me to expect other than a negative result.

Cheers,

Andy Velez

Offline minus_25

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 09:01:38 pm »
Thank you for your response Andy.  I'll be sure to keep this thread updated with what happens.

Offline very worried!

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 11:59:23 am »
i am very sorry, i cannot find where it says "new topic" i need a question answerd because i am extreemly stressed out, can someone please explain how i start a new thread, i am not normally this stupid! Many thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 12:06:14 pm »
very,

Look at the top of the main Am I Infected page. The one that lists all the threads. Along the bar that has buttons, look for the one that says "new topic". It's right between "notify" and "new poll". You'll find the buttons under where people's names are on the right hand top of the page.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline minus_25

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 10:47:45 am »
The result from the HIV test I took at my doctor's office on December 15 came back negative. This test was taken a week after I got tested at a clinic and did not receive those results.  I took the test at the clinic on December 7.

The clinic told me I had a reaction to the Elisa test but when they tried to do a Western Blot test, the result was indeterminate.  I just went back this morning to give them more blood.  They told me that I could still be negative, but I think this is a really bad sign.  Now I have to wait another painful 2 weeks to hear the result.

What do you guys think?

I just don't understand why my doctor didn't find it when they did the test, which was a week and a day later.

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 12:02:46 pm »
Your test results could very well be a false positive, especially since you had a later test that was negative.  There are antibodies from other pathogens that can cross-react and cause an indeterminate Western Blot or it could have been some other issue.  If you were a true positive, you would not test negative afterwards.  It is good to repeat that test again, but I expect this one will be negative as well.  Your risk--giving oral would be very very low risk, so that also supports that.  If it would put your mind at ease, you can still test out to the 3 month mark--continually testing negative then is definately definitive.  Another option while you are waiting for these test results could be to get a rapid test, if that would at least ease your mind while you wait. 
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 01:01:07 pm »
minus,

False negatives can and do happen - that's why they always double check. I'm expecting your subsequent tests to return negative results.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline minus_25

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 06:50:02 pm »
Thank you Ann and Coffeechick.  That's comforting to hear.  I will probably take a rapid HIV test as suggested by Coffeechick before I get these results.

Offline JasonintheOC

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 07:05:02 pm »
When I had tested positive my partner at the time tested negative.  We were both concerned and visited my doc together.  The doc advised that he have viral load test and that would confirm or deny wether or not he was positive with certainty.

We had the test done and had the answer in a few days.

He was definitely relieved to know now rather than wait a couple months and get tested again.  The only drawback was cost.  If I remember right it was about $110 out of pocket.  It's not covered by insurance if you're not hiv positive.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 05:48:39 am »
Minus,

We do not advocate PCR (viral load) testing here unless there has been a definite risk, which you have not had. The only PCR testing that is approved for diagnostic use is RNA PCR testing and it is not to be used for cases that do not involve high risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline minus_25

Positive Orasure test today
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 04:36:18 pm »
I'm feeling absolutely aweful.  I was posting in the "Am I Infected?" forums, but I just took a rapid HIV test today and there was a reaction (a very light pink line where it shouldn't have been).  After I took the test, they wanted to draw blood to confirm, but I told them that I gave blood yesterday at another clinic because of the indeterminate result they got (see my post in the other forum) and am waiting for that result .

I don't get it.  The test at my doctor's didn't find anything.  I replayed the incident a million times in my head, and am 100% sure it was protected anal sex.  I'm so depressed.  I told one friend of mine and I am going to tell another tonight (both of them are HIV positive).  It sucks though that they don't live near me though.  I also have to tell the person who I've kind of been dating which is going to be very hard.

I feel very depressed and scared, and just want to crawl in bed and not leave.  I left a message with my doctor to call me back so I can tell him the situation.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 07:52:08 pm »
Minus,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Until you receive both a positive ELISA test AND a positive Western Blot, you have NOT tested positive - and you should not be posting about your situation outside THIS forum.

You need to get confirmation one way or the other. The test you had today sounds like a false positive. "a very light pink line" is NOT a conclusive positive result.

Hang in there until further testing is done.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 07:56:03 pm »
Minus,

I'd also like to add that there are certain conditions, such as autoimmune diseases, that can cause false positive or indeterminate hiv antibody results. You may want to be checked out for these sorts of problems.

I'm expecting you to come out of this hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline minus_25

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 08:18:14 pm »
Thanks Ann.  I'm trying to hang in there, but I pretty much lost all hope at this point.  I spoke with my doctor and told him everything.  I went to his office and he gave me a 10 day prescription of Epivir (1 tablet daily) and scheduled me to take an HIV viral load test tomorrow morning (Jan 4) to make sure.  He said the results for the test should be ready the next day.

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 06:20:28 pm »
I had originally repeated the rapidtest thing because another member had stated that it had helped him while he was waiting--he knew it wasn't definitive, but he liked seeing that negative, but I see it made you feel worse.   :(  As Ann said, there has to be a confirmation for all positive tests, including the positive rapid test that you had as that is not a definitive positive.  One possibility for the doctors office contradicting your first test that I hadn't thought of first--could be it was a weak enough reaction that it could have been missed--especially if it is manually done.  Or it could be a fluke.  However, it is never positive until confirmed as such.  I am still confident that you are one of those false positives, which unfortunately doesn't do well for your peace of mind.  It could very well be you have some other condition going on--something that has caused you to develop cross-reacting antibodies, autoimmune disease, etc.  They tend to go to the molecular tests if you repeatedly test reactive on ELISA and indeterminate on the Western Blot.  Hopefully this gets all ironed out soon!
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline minus_25

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 08:18:20 pm »
I went to give blood this morning for the viral load test.  They told me results will be ready between 24 and 72 hours, so I have a feeling that I'm going to have to wait until next week to hear them.  My 29th birthday is this coming Tuesday (jan 9) and I have a feeling it's going to be a disaster.

I also told this guy I was sort of dating about my situation today.  We had protected anal before my incident and we did oral once after.  I told him he should have nothing to worry about, but he yelled at me, saying "how could I do this to him!" and made me feel like a monster.  I felt aweful and I ended up driving him to take a rapid HIV test.  His test did come back negative which was relief.  After he found out his result, then he was being supportive of me, but I'm not sure how I feel about him now since he made me feel like dirt a half hour earlier.

I have 2 very supportive great friends who I talk to every day about my situation, but they live in different cities.  Talking to them is comforting, but I just wish we lived near eachother.  Updating this thread and communicating with all of you is also comforting.  Thank you.

...to be continued

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.