Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:21:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 312
Total: 315

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Which PI?  (Read 5582 times)

Offline richva

Which PI?
« on: December 20, 2008, 12:31:46 pm »
Hi, All -

I've read plenty, but what I can't seem to find is a real-world, side-by-side comparison: Reyataz vs. Lexiva vs. Prezista - each with a Norvir boost - and with Truvada to accompany the PI pairing.  Help!

Started with nighttime dose of Atripla - 3-4 very good months, virologically awesome, no unpleasant side effects - then the relationship went south.  Can't sleep, no matter what I try.  Insomnia lasts for a few weeks, then improves (due to sheer exhaustion, I imagine), then worsens.  Ambien, Lunesta, Trazadone, Ativan....  No relief.

In the past few days I've switched to A.M. dosing; sleeping better, but having to negotiate the Sustiva funkiness throughout the morning isn't ideal.  Fine today since it's Saturday, but Thursday and Friday mornings at the office required a tremendous amount of concentration just to operate a stapler.  (Okay, that's a little extreme... but actually not too far from the truth.)

My ID doc is terrific... says I'm a real "trooper" for having hung in this long - but apparently hell bent on having me choose which PI to go with if (when, really; it's just a matter of time) I do decide to tell Atripla to take a hike.

Any thoughts?

Again, I've read the lessons on the drugs, understand something about each, no known allergy to sulfa drugs, no bothersome stomach acid issues, yadda yadda yadda....

Should I just flip a coin?  Rock paper scissors the whole thing???

In advance, thanks for pointing me to the comparison I seek or to shedding some light on the topic.

Rich
08/1989 Acquired
04/1992 Diagnosed
03/25/2008 (YUP - 16 years later!) CD4 336/21% VL 217,000; started meds
08/2012 - Alive, living! and doing just fine, TYVM (w/ props to my doc, insurance carrier and Complera. I remember every day that I'm a lucky boy.)

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Which PI?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 01:22:22 pm »
Personally, I would start with Reyataz or Prezista, cos they's genuinely once a day and use least Norvir, and if it doesn't agree then go for sommat else. Do not forget Kaletra (Aluvia)...older, but effective. Reyataz has a longer half-life, so more forgiving. The side effects is kinda personal, but truthfully there's prob not much to choose between the three you list.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline richva

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 06:18:29 pm »
Thanks, Matt, for your response.  Very much appreciated.

In a reply to Peter recently, you referred to Prezista as a resistance buster... which makes me think that, although not a particular worry for me today, I might be wise to go with Reyataz and keep newer options available for a later time...?  Something to think about, I suppose.

Best -

Rich
08/1989 Acquired
04/1992 Diagnosed
08/2012 - Alive, living! and doing just fine, TYVM (w/ props to my doc, insurance carrier and Complera. I remember every day that I'm a lucky boy.)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 12:28:58 pm »
I'm with Matt.

I would go with the Reyataz since you have no stomach acid issues. It is very easy to take, just once a day, and I had no side effects from the med itself.

I now take Lexiva because I, unfortunately, do have stomach acid issues.

Good luck with the switch.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline richva

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 01:17:23 pm »
Hello, Mark, and some hugs right back atcha ;)  I appreciate your input. 

Well, finding no glaringly-obvious benefit of one PI vs. another (and seeing no particular reason not to follow what seems to be a tried-and-true route), I'm (99%) sure that I'll ask Reyataz, Norvir & Truvada out on a date... just as soon as I make (what shouldn't be, but what has certainly become) the difficult decision to end things with Sustiva.

I'll try to be nice about it, though, so as not to burn any bridges ;D

Rich
08/1989 Acquired
04/1992 Diagnosed

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 02:19:39 pm »
Hi there Rich,
Wondering why you are waiting and putting up with the sustiva baloney, if its not working for you. Geez, since we got have HIV and gotta work, at least we can have low impact HAART.  I had to really badger my ID to switch out the sustiva (not sure why, since I have no resistances), to reyataz.  Within days I was calmer and my side effects disappeared, work was a breeze again, so we can assume it was the sustiva.  Good luck.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 02:22:54 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline richva

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 04:57:44 pm »
Thanks, Mecch, for your thoughts.  Yours is a story of recently switching meds that I have read - and re-read - and thought about quite a bit.

In response to your post, I'll have you know that I have plenty of reasons for "putting up with the Sustiva baloney" for as long as I have....

The problem, I admit, is that not one of them is a particularly good reason. :P

Others might have made the switch a long time ago.  Others, after just a few sleepless nights, might have said, "No way, no more, no how."  We're all different.

As for me, I think I needed a discussion with my ID doc on Friday, some feedback from a few trustworthy resources here at AM over the weekend, and a couple of extra days to come to terms with (i.e., grieve) the oh-so-evident fact that Sustiva and I aren't a match made in heaven.

Again, thanks to you (and all) for your well-intentioned kicks to my rear end.

Rich
08/1989 Acquired
04/1992 Diagnosed

Offline mecch

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 08:35:36 pm »
Well I'm such a newbie Rich, so yep I don't have much to recommend or any great experience. I hope if and when you switch you get some sound sleep, which feels so great.  Now tomorrow I will ask my ID why he resisted switching me during 6 weeks of crazies. I guess a lot of people see the long run of all this.  Good luck to you.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline richva

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 12:46:56 pm »
Thanks again, folks, for helping me to quit my whining and reconnect with a little courage and determination.  After a morning chat with my doc, new scrips are being faxed in and should be ready for pick-up after work.  Now that the decision has been made, I'm relieved, actually - and really looking forward to putting some distance between efavirenz and my pillow.

Best,

Rich

Edited to add: I chose Reyataz w/ Norvir to replace the Sustiva, opting to save any "resistance buster" PIs for a later time, if needed.  Truvada completes the combo.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 12:53:40 pm by richva »
08/1989 Acquired
04/1992 Diagnosed

Offline mecch

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 03:13:55 pm »
Ok cool. Thats my combo and switched off the sustiva. I saw my ID this morning. He apologised - said it was his error to make me suffer 6 weeks with sustiva crazies since when I started reporting the troubles he kept replying it was anxiety not the medicine.  I ended up on sleeping pills, a fair amount of anxiety medicine (temesta, lexotanil). 

Well listen, a few days onto the Reyataz, I felt much better.  In the end, I can imagine most drugs have some side effects especially if you concentrate on looking and feeling for them. 

Hope you have great success with the reyataz - or at least good night sleeps.

Offline richva

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 08:47:26 am »
Just an update:

It's been a week since I switched from Atripla to Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir.  I take it in the morning with cereal and coffee while checking CNN online (and FB and AM as well).  No undesired side effects to speak of.  I'm optimistic - cautiously so, as is my nature.  :)

Conversely, my sleep patterns are returning to normal, and I actually have the energy (and enthusiasm) to do things.  Anything.  Clean out over-stuffed closets.  Organize things in the basement.  Run unused items over to a local service organization.  Go to work.  Walk the dog....  I knew that Atripla - or, I should say, I suspected that Sustiva - was impacting my life.  I just don't think I understood to what extent.

I wasn't feeling unwell when I started meds in April 2008; the numbers just said, "It's time."  Then, for nearly 7 months I felt somewhat "off" much of the time.  For me, insomnia was the main issue, so I didn't pay too much attention to the nearly-daily bouts with dizziness, or the forgetfulness, or the jumpiness, or the worrying.  I told myself that the meds are working... and simply convinced myself that I should just accept this as how my life on meds may have to be.

With or without this AM Forum, I knew I had to do something.  However, I found the information, motivation and encouragement to risk something unknown (to me) right here.

So, as we roll into a new year, I'd like to again say 'thanks' to all of the folks here who light paths so that others may find their way.

Best,

Rich
08/1989 Acquired
04/1992 Diagnosed

Offline mecch

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 04:47:04 pm »
Rich, glad to hear the good news.  I had the same feeling about the return of energy. I had a great return of energy when i went on sustiva (from uncontrolled viremia down quickly with HAART), and then after two months my energy nosedived. Now I reyataz I have renewed energy. Skiing like a maniac, here, for the holidays.

Hope your energy boost lasts and that you sleep LONG and peacefully.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.