Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:49:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 221
Total: 221

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: African Sex Worker, unprotected oral / possible vaginal ?  (Read 66884 times)

Offline fivecantonas

African Sex Worker, unprotected oral / possible vaginal ?
« on: August 11, 2006, 06:23:12 pm »
Firstly may I say after plucking up the courage to post on this forum I find it inspiring to read some of the stories on here and how brave people are. Not only that but the time a lot of you guys give to users on this forum is to be highly praised !!

I am sure this story is typical but I was wondering if anyone could give me realistic chances of HIV infection after a scare seven weeks ago. I went to the World Cup in the summer with friends in Stuttgart. After a very drunken night I ended up in a brothel in the red light district of the city,
unfortunately my so called friends had left me.

I remember being in a room with a sex worker putting a condom on me and I remember oral sex, I also remember a very brief session of penetrative vaginal sex then she left the room, (lets say five to ten minutes - tops - ALL PROTECTED)

This is where things become a little bit hazy....

I removed the condom and discarded it and she came back with a bottle of champagne we drank it together and there was a lot of fumbling masturbation, further brief oral sex, (ALL UNPROTECTCED). For the life of me I cannot remember further vaginal sex, if there was again we are talking a matter of minutes, (UNPROTECTED) but so much of this part of the night is a blur !! I did not ejaculate and must have came to my senses soon after as I remember hurriedly getting dressed and literally running out of the brothel.

The lady was South African but spoke fluent GERMAN so presume she had resided there for some time. I selfishly went back the next day but apparently she only worked weekends, I spoke to one of her co-workers who said I had nothing to worry about and she was married with three children, (not sure of the relevance of this) and clean, but the fact she told me they always use condoms and I know I received unprotected oral sex leads me to believe they often say this to clients regardless.

Since the incident my testing has been as follows:

1) Full STD screening 10 days after contact, (NEGATIVE)
2) 30 day HIV DUO P24 and HIV 1+2 COMBO TEST Fourth Generation UK Private Clinic, (NEGATIVE)
3) 47 day HIV DUO P24 and HIV 1+2 COMBO TEST Fourth Generation UK Private Clinic, (NEGATIVE)

My doctor tells me that my chances of HIV infection where less than 1% to start even if there was brief vaginal sex and the lady was HIV+ and that with the testing I had received I should move on with my life - he also added 1) at six weeks modern tests are more than 99% accurate and 2) He had never seen a patient testing postive after six weeks of the same exposure since they introduced this test several years ago, coupled with the four week test and the STD screening this should be considered conclusive, and finally 3) I could completely stop worrying about the oral sex regardless of any other events.

In terms of symptoms I have had very few, except what I think must be anxiety driven, i.e. diarrhea / grumbling stomach / sweats / chest pain / sore throat and many sleepless nights, however they all seem to come and go depending on my state of mind.

I have not discussed with my wife as I fear it could destroy our relationship, but today she started with back pain and slight fever - I think I may have passed something on.

Do you think I am being ridiculous? Is my Doctor a complete optimist?, I find it hard to believe that there would only ever be a 1% chance of transmission when you hear of the epidemic in Africa and so many new cases in industrialised countries. I live in the UK and they stipulate three month window period, so why does my doc tell me at six weeks everything is fine?

I am close to tears most days worrying about going for a further test, i.e. 10 / 12 weeks and the fact I could have infected my wife.

Thanks in advance for any responses...(sorry for the novel like post)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 06:28:49 pm by fivecantonas »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: African Sex Worker, unprotected oral / possible vaginal ?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 06:44:47 pm »
Five,

First up let me say that HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. Particularly from female to male. There is absolutely no risk to you from the unprotected oral sex you had. HIV is not transmitted that way.

Since you can't recall if you had unprotected vaginal sex (though it seems unlikely given that the sex worker put a condom on you at the start -- why would she change half way through?) you're right to have a test. Your 47 day result is an excellent indicator of a negative results at the 12-13 week mark.

Sexually active people should have a full STD screen at least twice a year. A full screen includes an HIV antibody test. You should know that there are other STD's, such as chlamydia and gonorrhoea which are far more prevalent and contagious than HIV.

I would encourage you to read our glorious Welcome Thread to learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted.

Regards,

MtD

Offline fivecantonas

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 06:57:26 pm »
Hi there...

Thanks for the lightning quick response, I did read all the welcome notes and the main reason I continued to post a thread was I could not understand how my doctor has come to the assumptions he has?

If a test at four weeks and six weeks is considered conclusive, why the 12 week window period? I do not understand where he has come to the 99% figure, also I have read so many stories of people contracting HIV through one single sexual act I also find it hard to acknowledge 1% per vaginal sexual act being a realistic figure - I have no problem in being told the truth about my situation, but felt that due to it being a private clinic they just wanted my money and that was that....

I have a test schduled with a GUM clinic in Manchester, (England) at the 10 week point to try and ease some of my anxiety, but I think this could be a tough three weeks....

Still very worried about the true transmission risks?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 07:10:19 pm »
If a test at four weeks and six weeks is considered conclusive, why the 12 week window period? I do not understand where he has come to the 99% figure, also I have read so many stories of people contracting HIV through one single sexual act I also find it hard to acknowledge 1% per vaginal sexual act being a realistic figure - I have no problem in being told the truth about my situation, but felt that due to it being a private clinic they just wanted my money and that was that....

Five,

Test results at 4-6 weeks are not considered conclusive. Some rare cases take up to 12-13 weeks to test positive. We work with this window to period so that everyone is included. HIV/AIDS is so serious 99% is just not good enough.

In fact don't worry about numbers like 99% or the like. With reference to individual cases, such as yours they're meaningless. I fully expect (as does your doctor) that you will test negative at the 12 week mark.

Indeed rather than fretting about percentages and window periods, you might want to think about the sorts of behaviours that lead you to situations like this one. Drinking and casual sex are not a good mix, as you have learned.

Regards,

MtD

Offline fivecantonas

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 07:22:56 pm »
Thanks for your encouraging words I am of the same opinion that looking at the 1% is meaningless, hope you do not mind answering a few other questions niggling in my mind?

1) Would you advise protected sex with my partner until this point?

2) Do you think I should skip the 10 week test and just re-scheulde at 12 week, i.e. does 10 weeks decrease my chances even further?

3) I read today that in America some experts belive 6 months to be the only real conclusive negative result, I really do not think I could go on with the stress and anxiety I am feeling for 6 months.

Anyway I am off to try and catch some zzzzz's its 12.20am in England and tomorrow I go on holiday for two weeks to France, although I fear it may not be the most enjoyable time of my life.

best regards, Five.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 08:09:01 pm »
1) Would you advise protected sex with my partner until this point?

Yes. Even though I am confident that you will test negative at 12 weeks, I can't be 100% sure and neither can you. HIV/AIDS is nothing to guess about.

2) Do you think I should skip the 10 week test and just re-scheulde at 12 week, i.e. does 10 weeks decrease my chances even further?

Again yes. The window period in the UK is 12 weeks and that's when you should test. A 10 week negative is all but conclusive, but we need to stick with the scientifically established window period.

3) I read today that in America some experts belive 6 months to be the only real conclusive negative result, I really do not think I could go on with the stress and anxiety I am feeling for 6 months.

Such experts are incorrect. You don't have to wait 6 months. Even the extraordinarily conservative American Centres for Disease Control (CDC) state the window period is 13 weeks. In the UK, Australia and other nations it's 12 weeks. Since you're testing in the UK go with the window period there.

Anyway I am off to try and catch some zzzzz's its 12.20am in England and tomorrow I go on holiday for two weeks to France, although I fear it may not be the most enjoyable time of my life.

Enjoy your holiday and don't fret too much.

Regards,

MtD

Offline fivecantonas

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 02:59:18 am »
MTD:

Forgot to ask are any of my symtoms ARS related?

Thanks, Five.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 03:17:37 am »
Five,

You need to understand that symptoms mean bugger all when it comes to diagnosing HIV. The symptoms of ARS are really non-specific. I mean just about anything can cause a fever, right?

What is important when we discuss HIV transmission is risk behaviours and anti-body testing. If you've engaged in a behaviour which has been shown to transmit HIV, then you should test. Such behaviours are:

Unprotected anal sex;
Unprotected vaginal sex;
Sharing contaminated injecting equipment.

You seem like a fairly sensible sort of chap, so take my advice and don't go for a stroll down Symptom Street. That way madness lies. Go and enjoy your holiday.

Regards,

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 05:59:31 am »
five,

I think your doctor sounds like he is very much clued up on hiv testing. With the type of tests you have had done, you are more likely to play for England yourself in the next World Cup and score a hat trick in every single game you play than you are to go on to test positive after this incident.

I've never seen someone test negative at six weeks and go on to test positive either, just like your doctor.

However, until the official window period here in the UK changes, you would be wise to go to your local GUM clinic and test one more time at twelve weeks - just so there are no lingering doubts in your mind. Don't bother going private, the local GUM will test for free and confidentially too.

While you're here, there are a few more things I want to make sure you are aware of. You need to protect yourself against hiv no matter who you are with or where you are. Hiv is on the rise in the heterosexual community in the UK - I should know, I'm one of the statistics. I live on the Isle of Man and never thought I needed to worry about hiv and I was dead wrong.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms and avoid hiv infection - no matter who you are with. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline fivecantonas

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 06:16:05 am »
Ann:

Firstly thanks for your response, really appreciated. The service you guys provide here is better than in most clinics - the amount of conflicting information out there from counsellors / GP's is truly extraordinary. It seems that the real experts are the people who have contracted HIV, so maybe there is a career path out there for you?

You state you have never seen someone test positive after six weeks, do you work in a clinic, or is it just something you have not heard of?

On the contrary do you know of people who have tested positive in six weeks? I asked my Dr. but he said he could not disclose this information, which I did find strange as he was happy to tell me the opposite...

best regards, Five.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 06:24:24 am »
Five,

I mean that in the five+ years I've been a member of these forums, I've never seen someone in this section of the forum test negative at six weeks and go on to test positive after. And yes, we have had people through here who did have a risk who tested positive at or before six weeks. The people who write in to this forum and test positive are in the minority. Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus, but that is no reason to not protect yourself because difficult does not mean impossible.

Too many people don't test after unprotected intercoure and I'd say the majority of people discover their hiv status only after they've been positive for a while. This is one of the reasons why routine screening is so important. Not only can the person who does test positive get the medical attention they need, but it will also cut down on onward transmissions. Most people who test positive ensure their virus stops with them.

Keep using those condoms, no matter if you're with a sex worker or the girl next door, and you'll be just fine.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline fivecantonas

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 06:29:44 am »
Thanks Ann, sorry to ask such direct questions, but feel it may benefit other users to know this information as well as myself.

Sorry also wanted to say I have read all the information you have directed me towards and 100% agree. Problem I am finding is a lot of the people who post here cannot see past their pending results - most are likely to put themselves back in this situation in several months time, or maybe even sooner!

Instead they should be concentrating on what they can do in the future to avoid this happening again. For me I have stopped drinking heavily and cut down on the amount I smoke - I know that when I drink heavily I have a tendancy to act in a different manner and often experience memory loss of the night before - I have asked myself if I ever want to go through this worry again and the answer is simple - NO.

I am hoping my negative test at 12 weeks will be the icing on the cake, sorry for the pun but I always believe a positive can come out of a negative situation.

regards, Five.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 06:35:12 am »
Five,

It's good to hear that you've learned so much from this incident. The best thanks you can give to us for the service we provide here is to educate your mates on the importance of condom use and hiv prevention. Make sure your family members know - especially any teens or young adults. Far too many heterosexuals think they don't need to worry about hiv and it just isn't true.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline fivecantonas

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 09:37:34 am »
Ann:

I did not see the playing for England comment earlier, (very amusing) just wondered did you base this on my experience / the tests I have had, or a combination of both?

regards, Five.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 10:52:08 am »
Five,

I based my answer on your experience, plus the timing and types of test used. Also, the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. Your last test was at nearly seven weeks and I do not expect the results to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline fivecantonas

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 04:44:42 pm »
Hi Ann:

Just returned from holidays and did not have the greatest time first few days were OK, but then I developed stiff neck / sore throat / white coated tongue and strange lines on the inside of my mouth, not ulcers, more like raised skin.

I have convinced myself that these must be ARS symptoms, despite (1) it being eight weeks since exposure and (2) numerous people on this forum stating symptoms are not an indicator of HIV.

I have not cancelled my 10 week test yet, do you think it is a waste of time as I think it might be the only way to ease my anxiety?

Before I went on holiday I felt at ease with myself and was planning on discussing what happened with my wife, I am now back in the state of running to the toilet every time I have eaten, (which in itself is proving difficult due to worry) and not sleeping.

Thanks in advance for your reply...

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 04:52:16 pm »
Symptoms or the lack of symptoms are NOT a way to diagnosis HIV infections or ARS. Only by being tested at 12 weeks in the UK will give you a conclusive test.

Offline fivecantonas

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 05:10:03 pm »
Thanks for the reply RapidRod, do you agree with the sentiments expressed by Ann earlier in this thread that my risk is very low and with the tests I have taken to date my anxiety levels are unwarranted?

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 06:43:12 pm »
Five,

Yes.  Listen to Ann.  She's the Man! (so to speak).  :D  You can take her advice to the bank.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 06:47:45 pm »
Damn, I wish I could take it to the bank too, I'm a bit skint!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 06:52:31 pm »
If it only paid by the answer.... 8)
Morgan Landers

Offline fivecantonas

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 07:34:01 pm »
Sorry guys to question your advice, anxiety is such a crazy state of mind, all logic seems to go out of the window...as an accountant by trade you would think I would be able to accept the laws of probability?

I feel like I have already abused the service you provide here, I will post results of my ten week test for other users to reference, until then promise no other anxiety driven questions, (well until 12 week test anyway).

Apologies again, Five.

P.S. Just wondering is there anything I could do to help with the great work you guys provide, I have found it truly inspirational !!

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 07:40:16 pm »
Five,

Yes.  Make a donation to your local ASO.  They are always in need of funding.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 08:05:29 pm »
five,

Giving money is good, but making sure your friends and loved ones are clued up on hiv facts is priceless. For me, the best thank you anyone can give us is to carry on our work in your own social circles and families. Too many teens (and adults!) aren't being taught how to protect themselves against hiv - abstinence only works if they're never tempted. Condoms work regardless.

Knowledge is power and knowing how to protect yourself against hiv infection makes for powerful, healthy people. Spread the word.

Use condoms and avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 08:07:13 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline fivecantonas

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2006, 11:59:17 am »
Anyone?

I came aross an article today stating that HIV-1 subset O often produced false negatives and most HIV tests could not detect this subset, does anyone know anything about this?

Reason I ask is that my exposure was with a women originating from Cameroon, (now living in Europe) which I believe is the only region this subset has been found.

In my previous post promised no more anxiety driven questions, but feel this warrants a post...

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2006, 12:05:49 pm »
The information in that article (I am familiar with it) is several years out of date. Current ELISA tests are considered reliable, even concerning subtypes like O and N which have only been found in a handful of people globally.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline fivecantonas

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2006, 12:10:42 pm »
Thanks jkinatl2, couple of other quick questions:

1) I take it a fourth generation HIV DUO combo test is considered as current?

2) if the answer to the the above is YES, when you say reliable do you mean the test would pick up these subtypes?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2006, 12:17:45 pm »
Actually, ANY generation of test is considered current and definitive at 13 weeks. The generations of tests are NOT on a sliding scale of reliability. Such a thing would be highly unethical. At this point, the tests are simply being tweaked to slowly but surely lower that testing window. But financial considerations dictate that first gen testing remains prominent, especially in underdeveloped places.

And yes, testing picks up these subtypes.

But holy cow, given that we have identified less than two hundred people who carry subtype O among the millions and millions of confirmed HIV cases, any single human's chances of getting infected wityh that subtype, even if they live in Cameroon and consider themselves an unproteced sex party favor, is so vanishingly small as to boggle the mind.

seriously. Intellectually, at this point you are aware you are grasping at straws. Communicating that to your emotional center, in my opinion, should be your next challenge.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline fivecantonas

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2006, 02:36:03 pm »
Ann:

I know you have a lot of experience with UK tests, can you confirm that they test for subtype O a local aids helpline in UK did not think they do due to a rare chance of anyone having contact with this subtype?

This is more than worrying in my situation which was with a woman from Africa, (Cameroon) as you know from my previous posts...I am starting to doubt the validaity of any of the tests I have had.

Offline fred

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2006, 02:09:11 am »
If you tested at freedomhealth you would have had the COBAS COMBI assay conducted at The Doctors Laboratory in London.

Sean at freedomhealth sent me this, from the assays datasheet, in response to a question about the assays sensitivity;

1) Does the data sheet explicitly state 99.8% sensitivity at 28 days ?

A) It reads "Of 1509 samples from HIV infected patients in different stages of the disease and infected with HIV-group M, O and HIV-2, 1509  were found to be repeatedly reactive. The sensitivity ...in this study was 100%. The lower confidence limit was 99.8%

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2006, 05:26:23 am »
five,

You can bet that the tests used in the UK pick up any and every strain of hiv going - including the ones from Africa. We have a huge amount of African immigrants here in the UK.

Here's something else to consider - the obscure strains are more difficult to transmit. That's why they remain obscure.

Trust your test. And STOP looking up studies on the internet unless you make certain they are UP TO DATE and not something old and discredited -  and that you fully understand how to read and evaluate scientific studies.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline fivecantonas

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2006, 06:32:01 am »
Thanks Ann, (+ Fred)

I have just returned from my 10 week test and get my results @ 4.00pm, (UK time today) I will update my thread later this evening for reference.

It was my councilor who suggested this test due to me being out of the country for a few weeks, so this is what she called my penultimate test and only reason she has agreed to do it was due to anxiety - she has said if it comes back positvie today it will be a first, we shall wait and see...

Offline fivecantonas

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2006, 04:30:12 pm »
Unforunately there was a problem today at the GUM clinic and no blood tests could be processed, I need to go back tomorrow to collect my results - will post then...

Offline fivecantonas

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2006, 01:11:04 pm »
Ann / other experts:

I got my latest test result today, again negative for HIV I and HIV II plus Antigen P24 not detected - this test was at nine weeks five days, (I know you are going to tell me to re-test at 12 weeks) but just wanted to know if this would decrease my chances even further than playing for England in the next World Cup?

At the GUM clinic my counsellor told me I could move on with my life and the 12 week test was only needed so that I could have unprotected sex with my wife with a 0% chance of passing on an infection if I had one; must admit this statement has kind of worried me...

Do you have any comments?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2006, 02:26:50 pm »
five,

The GUM counselor was practicing the fine art of CYA (cover your ass) with perhaps a dash of scare-tactic thrown in to ensure your return at twelve weeks.  The official window period here in the UK is twelve weeks.

As you were hazy about all the details and you believe there was a chance of unprotected intercourse, then you should test for closure. Am I expecting the result to change? No. Not at all. I'm sure you can appreciate that we also stick by official window periods.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2006, 02:34:26 pm »
Ann is, not that she needs like likes of ME to say it, spot-on, as always.

The fine art of CYA is something that always make me sorta cross my eyes and bite my tongue. usually in that order.

Welcome Thread

Offline fivecantonas

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2006, 03:51:51 pm »
Thanks guys, never looked at it that way, at the end of the day she has a job to do !!

Ann would you consider it prudent to still use the World Cup comment you made earlier, (in light of your last post) to be honest its been kind of a message I have been telling myself everytime I feel anxious, i.e. I tell myself I have little to no chance of playing for England - so my HIV status is similar...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2006, 04:09:35 pm »
Five,

You've got more chance of scoring a hat-trick in the World Cup.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline fivecantonas

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2006, 07:32:30 pm »
Thanks Ann although it would be a dream to score a hatrick in the next World Cup, I think I can live without it....

best regards, Five.

P.S. Just realised my timing was slightly out my test today was actually nine weeks and one day - presume this is irrelevant anyway?

Have a great Bank Holiday Weekend !!

Offline fivecantonas

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2006, 03:09:56 pm »
Ann:

Does my inaccurate post earlier change your previous comments in anyway, i.e. my last test was at nine weeks, NOT nine weeks five days since the EXACT date of my exposure as I had previously posted.

Thanks, Five.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 03:28:19 pm by fivecantonas »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2006, 04:00:40 am »
Five,

It does not change a thing I've said so far.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline fivecantonas

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2006, 07:32:13 am »
Hi Ann / anyone:

An update to my exposure;

I have started to develop a line of small pimples, (not sure if they are blisters) around the bottom of the head of my penis - they pretty much go all the way around, local GUM clinic suspect herpes, but I am awaiting results and they could not be conclusive either way at this point.

If they come back positive does this increase my chances of HIV infection - I know prior to this experience I did not have hepres and have read that ant STD largely increases the transmission risk !

Leading on from the above does this make any difference to my nine week test?

Thanks in advance...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2006, 07:51:24 am »
Five,

Herpes would only increase your risk if you had an outbreak at a time when you had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. A herpes diagnosis will NOT change a thing about an hiv test taken at any time.

Please try to keep in mind that you only remember having protected intercourse during your encounter. The idea that you also had unprotected is pure speculation on your part.

I'm fully expecting you to continue testing negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2006, 07:56:20 am »
All but the very smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days.

So with that 9 week negative in hand, like Ann I too expect you to continue to test negative, the possibility of herpes notwithstanding. And as Ann has reminded you, you're not even certain you had unprotected intercourse!

Your head has been working overtime about this incident, mixing the issue of it having been an African sex worker and now a herpes possibility to scare you some more. Despite that your test result points with no little certainty towards your continuing to test negative. Guilt is a whole other matter and can be a potent factor in feeding fears and anxiety. You're a dog like the rest of us and you went straying. You can't undo that. So see it clearly, take a breath and let it go.

I expect you will get another negative test result shortly and then hopefully you will be wise enough to get on with your life.

Cheers,  
Andy Velez

Offline fivecantonas

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2006, 08:05:49 am »
Thanks for the quick reply guys, (as ever)

1) Can I have caught herpes from receiving unprotected oral sex?

2) If YES to the above am I likely to have infected my wife through her giving me oral sex?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 08:07:58 am by fivecantonas »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2006, 08:13:47 am »
Five,

Herpes can be a puzzle. The thing is, a person can harbour the herpes virus for years and never have an outbreak. Then, along comes some stress or a bout of 'flu and whammo, you suddenly get an outbreak. (This is why, when herpes appears on the lips, they are known as cold sores. A cold or 'flu can bring on an outbreak.)

You'll probably never know when or how you got herpes. Although it can be possible, as long as your wife has not gone down on you while you had an active outbreak, then you most likely have not passed it on to her.

And just so you know, herpes is VERY contagious. If you or anyone in your household has an outbreak, it's best to not share towels during this time. This goes for oral herpes or genital herpes, and you can also spread it around to different areas of your own body. Keep it clean and dry and don't touch. If you use acyclovir cream on the blisters, make sure you wash your hands afterwards.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2006, 08:16:48 am »
And by the way Five,

Although herpes is very contagious, it is totally possible to keep it to yourself. I've had it since I was nineteen (25 years) and I've never transmitted it to anyone. Follow basic hygiene rules and you'll be fine.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline fivecantonas

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2006, 08:44:18 am »
Ann:

Is there a chance that this line of pimples / blisters could not be associated to herpes? To be honest they have been there for several days and do not appear to be going any bigger or bursting, very confusing.

Thanks, Five.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2006, 08:51:44 am »
Five,

You know I can't diagnose you! I will say this though - if they feel kinda tingly/itchy, it's probably herpes. They can take a while to break open sometimes without necessarily getting bigger and when they do, they usually hurt like hell, especially if touched or rubbed by fabric. But saying all that, it could be anything. If you get to a doc asap when they do break open, the area can be swabbed and a diagnosis reached.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2006, 08:56:11 am »
And another by the way... (I'm having one of those days...)

Herpes usually looks much more like a blister than a pimple. The fluid inside is clear and the outer edge of the blister is usually red. If what you are seeing looks more like a pimple/whitehead, chances are it's not herpes at all but blocked pores. Check back with your doc.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.