Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:17:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 484
Total: 485

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Angry Iraqi throws shoes at President Bush in Baghdad  (Read 5198 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Angry Iraqi throws shoes at President Bush in Baghdad
« on: December 14, 2008, 07:06:30 pm »
Angry Iraqi throws shoes at President Bush in Baghdad
Sunday, December 14, 2008
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2008/12/14/414679.html?title=Angry+Iraqi+throws+shoes+at+President+Bush+in+Baghdad

President Bush, ducks a thrown shoe as Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki tries to protect him Sunday.(CNN) -- President Bush made a farewell visit Sunday to Baghdad, Iraq, where he met with Iraqi leaders and was targeted by an angry Iraqi man, who jumped up and threw shoes at Bush during a news conference.

Bush ducked, and the shoes, thrown one at a time, sailed past his head during the news conference with Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki in his palace in the heavily fortified Green Zone.

Throwing shoes at someone, or sitting so that the bottom of a shoe faces another person, is considered an insult among Muslims.

The man was dragged out screaming after throwing the shoes.

As the man continued to scream from another room, Bush said: "That was a size 10 shoe he threw at me, you may want to know."

Bush had been lauding the conclusion of a security pact with Iraq as journalists looked on.

"So what if the guy threw his shoe at me?" Bush told a reporter in response to a question about the incident.

"Let me talk about the guy throwing his shoe. It's one way to gain attention. It's like going to a political rally and having people yell at you. It's like driving down the street and having people not gesturing with all five fingers.

"It's a way for people to draw attention. I don't know what the guy's cause is. But one thing is for certain. He caused you to ask me a question about it. I didn't feel the least bit threatened by it.

"These journalists here were very apologetic. They ... said this doesn't represent the Iraqi people, but that's what happens in free societies where people try to draw attention to themselves."

Bush then directed his comments to the security pact, which he and al-Maliki were preparing to sign, hailing it as "a major achievement" but cautioning that "there is more work to be done."

"All this basically says is we made good progress, and we will continue to work together to achieve peace," Bush said.

Bush's trip was to celebrate the conclusion of the security pact, called the Strategic Framework Agreement and the Status of Forces Agreement, the White House said.

The pact will replace a U.N. mandate for the U.S. presence in Iraq that expires at the end of this year. The agreement, reached after months of negotiations, sets June 30, 2009, as the deadline for U.S. combat troops to withdraw from all Iraqi cities and towns. The date for all U.S. troops to leave Iraq is December 31, 2011.

Bush called the passage of the pact "a way forward to help the Iraqi people realize the blessings of a free society."

Bush said the work "hasn't been easy, but it has been necessary for American security, Iraqi hope and world peace."

Bush landed at Baghdad International Airport on Sunday and traveled by helicopter to meet with President Jalal Talabani and his two vice presidents at Talabani's palace outside the Green Zone.

It marked the first time he has been outside the heavily fortified Green Zone in Baghdad without being on a military base.

The visit was Bush's fourth since the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in March 2003.

Afterward, Talabani praised his U.S. counterpart as a "great friend for the Iraqi people" and the man "who helped us to liberate our country and to reach this day, which we have democracy, human rights, and prosperity gradually in our country."

Talabani said he and Bush, who is slated to leave office next month, had spoken "very frankly and friendly" and expressed the hope that the two would remain friends even "back in Texas."

For his part, Bush said he had come to admire Talabani and his vice presidents "for their courage and for their determination to succeed."

As the U.S. and Iraqi national anthems played and Iraqi troops looked on, he and the Iraqi president walked along a red carpet.

In remarks to reporters, National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley, who traveled with Bush, described the situation in Iraq as "in a transition."

"For the first time in Iraq's history and really the first time in the region, you have Sunni, Shia and Kurds working together in a democratic framework to chart a way forward for their country," he said.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Oceanbeach

Re: Angry Iraqi throws shoes at President Bush in Baghdad
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 07:23:26 pm »
Hey Ray,

Interesting story... My Bush Countdown Clock says that in 36 days, 3 Hours, and 34 Minutes, Bush will be a thing of the past, just like my little clock.  This clock was a gift from my pharmacy for appreciation in trying to keep Title I funding available in Sonoma County and we still lost our funding but Bush got a new pair of shoes.  ;D  Have the best day
Michael 

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 07:41:58 pm »
Hey Ray,

My Bush Countdown Clock says that in 36 days, 3 Hours, and 34 Minutes, Bush will be a thing of the past, just like my little clock.  Michael 

Goodbye to George W Hoover !!  ;)

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 02:33:05 am »
I guess W "misunderestimated" (:D) how much people detest him. Another George Bush classic  :D

Seadickrun

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 04:10:28 am »
If the shoe fits....

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 07:27:06 am »
Just goes to show that the US present has worked. It was a shoe, not a suicide bomber or a grenade..

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 07:56:17 am »

Too bad he couldn't have hit him with a steel toe boot !

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Basquo

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 08:29:57 am »
Just goes to show that the US present has worked. It was a shoe, not a suicide bomber or a grenade..

Yeah, we gave them a "present" alright: freedom to persecute gays and Christians.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 08:43:30 am »
Have Cheyney's business pals at Haliburton pay for a new pair of shoes for the guy since they have bilked the US for billions during this accursed war. And Congress should give the guy a special medal for meritorious service. ...just sayin'....
Andy Velez

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 08:58:33 am »
I thought it was hilarious when I saw the clip on the news.  They should really be throwing piles of shit at him.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 09:29:50 am »
Yeah, we gave them a "present" alright: freedom to persecute gays and Christians.

They were persecuting gays and Christians before the US got involved in Iraq.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 10:25:26 am »
It's worse now. This article has been discussed on these forums before:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/155656

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 11:23:50 am »
Thousands of Iraqis took to the streets Monday to demand the release of a reporter who threw his shoes at President George W. Bush, as Arabs across many parts of the Middle East hailed the journalist as a hero and praised his insult as a proper send-off to the unpopular U.S. president.

~Associated Press

I guess this gives new meaning to giving George the boot.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 11:38:41 am »
it's also pathetic and sobering to see how he and his henchmen have so degraded the country they have illegitimately represented to the world. 
Andy Velez

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 12:12:19 pm »
Thousands of Iraqis took to the streets Monday to demand the release of a reporter who threw his shoes at President George W. Bush, as Arabs across many parts of the Middle East hailed the journalist as a hero and praised his insult as a proper send-off to the unpopular U.S. president.

~Associated Press

I guess this gives new meaning to giving George the boot.

ROFL! See what I mean?

I thought it was hilarious when I saw the clip on the news.  They should really be throwing piles of shit at him.

That man could've filled the shoes with shit fist. But he missed anyway. Should've aimed for the chest Oh my, where's my halo today? I can't seem to find it!

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 03:03:58 pm »
I hope they let him free...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline Rural_oz

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 04:28:54 pm »
In todays news......

'He has got a broken arm and ribs, and cuts to his eye and arm,' said Durgham.

'He is being held by forces under the command of Muwaffaq al-Rubaie,' Iraq's national security adviser, he added.

Thankfully I live where I live.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 12:27:30 am »
You saw how fast Bush boy ducked when those shoes came a hurlin' his way?
I'll give it him, he was quick ducker.
Probably had a lot of practice with Laura throwing garden pots of lilacs (as in "...he'd lie like a hemp rug..") at him.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.