Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:54:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 216
Total: 216

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: In The Garden  (Read 15010 times)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
In The Garden
« on: May 05, 2007, 01:37:40 pm »
A discussion about Ice Cream Sandwiches began to morph into talk about canning and fresh-grown fruits and veggies direct from the garden.  The whole thing started taking me back in time.  To me, there is really no substitute for vegetables straight from the garden.  As a boy, I used to help my Father in the garden.  We planted squash, tomatoes, beans, corn, cucumbers, watermelons...what else?  Probably a few other things, but those are the main ones I remember.  I also remember snapping and stringing beans in large bowls and washing off all the vegetables while getting them ready for canning.  I used to always make a practice of picking a few pretty flowers to bring back to my Mother upon my return.  Apparently, when I was about 3-5 years old, I went out and was unable to find any good flowers to bring back to her...so I settled on a stick that my young mind found particularly impressive for some reason.  I think that stick is still stored somewhere!

Anyway, this has probably been threaded on here before, but I was wondering:  Who here gardens and what do you plant?  Fruits and vegetables?  Plants and flowers?  Both?  Perhaps some of you don't do it now, but have some memories associated with it (like me) from childhood or visits to relatives?  Got stories?  Pictures maybe?

Just, um....planting some seeds here to see what grows.     :D
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dachshund

Re: In The Garden
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 02:01:32 pm »
My relatives are from very rural West Tennessee and relied on gardens up until the mid to late sixties. I can remember helping my Aunt Dodie canning vegetables in the summer. Silking corn...I hated that, snap and pole beans and more tomatoes than I ever believed possible. Picking strawberries in May, I believe it was...my grandfather had the largest strawberry fields in the county. He always made sure to plant a watermelon patch where we would pick a melon, break it open on a rock and eat it sweet and warm...oh and peaches and peaches and more peaches.

I remember being there a couple of times in late fall or early winter when the hogs were slaughtered...that was wild. True Americana, done the way it had been done for hundreds of years, making sausage, boiling off the lard in huge black kettles over an open fire.

The best memory was hand cranked ice cream.

Offline Teresa

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 03:01:30 pm »
Hubby has a big garden. He plants cantalopes, tomatoes, okra, watermelons, and cucumbers.  I just have flower beds that I take care of.

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 03:10:10 pm »
Lordy!  From these posts, I can't believe I forgot about the cantalopes and peaches!  My Dad has always been a HUGE fan of cantalopes (not crazy about them myself).  But the peaches were out of this world!  Which brings me to the other thing:  the hand churned ice cream!  Nothing & no one can touch the home made, hand-churned ice cream.  Not Edy, not Ben & Jerry, not even the most royal Dairy Queen.  Used to love the ice cream made with fresh picked peaches (and sometimes blueberries or strawberries, too) that we got in the summer time.

I still get the benefit of some home grown veggies via friends of the family that still have active gardens.  Right now, I've got some peppers.  Recently had some cherry tomatoes that ROCKED on bread with some basil, cheese and a touch of olive oil.   
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 03:37:23 pm »
my babies :)

And I have a eureka lemon that is not on the pic.

[attachment deleted by admin]
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 03:50:23 pm »
Yay!  That's fabu, milker!  Thanks for posting!
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 04:26:41 pm »
My mother and grandmother SWORE by Ridgeway cantaloupes.  We had to make a yearly trip down outside Henderson, NC to score them.  Evidently they're the best, though personally I detest all melons.  They also swore by Kentucky Wonder green beans and I guess that is what my grandmother grew... She always had a large garden down on the farm but frankly I never helped her in it much.  I don't recall her encouraging the children in the garden, in fact I think we were forbidden.  Unfortunately I missed the functioning farm's heyday -- it was a tobacco farm but my grandfather died the year I was born and the place pretty much went to rust except the vegetable garden.  I was scared to go in the collapsing chicken coup because evidently it was infested with snakes.  Gran Gran would see them and crank up the lawn mower and run over them... scary!

Now, in my last place in Brooklyn I had full run of the backyard which to most people would be only slightly larger than a postage stamp, but I totally turned it out.  I ripped up almost the entire thing and re-landscaped it one year and my ex-roomie keeps it going now.  I'll be making a jaunt up there next week and it should be blooming.  I made a really nice patio out of those blue flagstones (or whatever they're called) that are used in parts of the 19th century areas of Brooklyn in place of cement sidewalks... very Cosby family.  I'll try and take some pictures when I'm up there... but it was not a vegetable oriented garden, though one year I planted some tomatoes.  The garden there was strictly for dinner party entertaining al fresco!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 04:47:39 pm »
Ooh!  Do try to take some pics to post here for us, philly!
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 05:08:59 pm »
I just bought a new camera too!

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 05:32:25 pm »
Now here is a topic I can relate to, I have about 3/4 of an acre of landscaped gardens and I love being out there, but only a small section has been put aside out the back for vegies...in the greenhouse we have tomatoes and greenpeppers, and in the garden we grow, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, string beans, rhubarb and strawberries...we had so many pototoes and tomatoes  this year we were giving them away by the ton to neighbours.

In the orchard we have three Apple trees (cooker's) three that are eaters, two pears, three plums and two cherry trees..not only do WE get a good feed from them but the animals enjoy a little fruit treat every day.

Sadly winter is almost on us and the vegies and fruits have all but gone now, but I didn't have to buy any this year, what we planted kept us going all throught the summer...next year we will stat again, there's nothing like home grown produce.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline bear60

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 05:34:44 pm »
I have a lot of success with basil and other herbs which I grow  in POTS here in the city.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 05:40:19 pm »
Bear and Jan- you have any photos of your gardening?

This thread is reminding me of two things:  One, the further it goes, the more I am remembering other things that were planted in the garden of my youth.  The other is that I'd forgotten how much fun I used to have being mingled with the ground, playing in the soil.  There's a connected feeling I had then that I realize I have somehow lost as I've grown older. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 05:41:28 pm »
Since I do not have a yard anymore I now grow hybrid exotic hibiscus plants indoors.  I have (eek) eight of them currently.  I also have four other plants, including a tropical palm that is about eight feet tall.

I spend a lot of time watering things and fertilizing.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 05:46:38 pm »
Hi Tim

I have photo's of my gardens but not my vegie patch...sorry.

Hugs

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 05:58:43 pm »
Jan (and all),

Doesn't have to be the veggie patch.  I was intending this thread to be about gardens in general.  Veggies or flowers, herbs....whatever.  After my last post above, I think I realized my true aim with this thread was to explore that connection that comes about from the interaction with the plants and the soil.  Current experience or memories (we've had some great posts in that area above).  Doesn't matter to me if that experience happens within a pot or a field. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2007, 06:28:55 pm »
We have a garden and lots of flowers but my parents plant them,I unfortunately, kill any plants I touch. I do help pick them and eat them. We have corn, green peas, Green Beans,Lima beans,cucumbers,yellow squash,asparagus. We have grape vines, blueberry bushes,2 Granny Smith apple trees,1 Red delicious Apple tree,Red plums and Danson Plums. the neighbors have pears and Concord Grapes that they let me pick. oh, and we have a fig tree. We love Fresh Produce.  Cristy

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2007, 06:29:22 pm »
Front of the house, a mix of bushes, cactus collection and flowers :)

nov 2 08 start Atripla

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2007, 07:29:14 pm »
Hi

here are a few photo's of my garden ..taken during spring/summer

Hugs

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2007, 07:30:46 pm »
Beautiful, anniebc!
nov 2 08 start Atripla

Offline Teresa

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2007, 07:35:55 pm »
Here is a pic of one of my flower beds.   Wish mine looked like Jans. Sooo beautiful Jan!

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2007, 07:38:23 pm »
My God Jan,

You have my undivided attention.  So, spring starts when, maybe something like November?  Hmmmm maybe a winter visit to New Zeland would be in order before I leave this place......    Dreams are made of this!

Love,
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2007, 07:47:13 pm »
I garden, it has been a long running family event.  Every year we planted vegetables, my mom froze and canned so we had a lot to get through the winter.  When I was in college, I had some gardens growing in several Humboldt County locations.  That is how my friends and I paid our tuition, bought books and stuff.  One year my parents asked me and my room mate to come to Mendocino County and start them a special garden.  We brought 10 (what they now call "Early Skunk", put them in the hills and set up a drip system.  They used the money to start their retirement.  Have the best day
Michael  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2007, 07:47:52 pm »
oh annie!   That garden is simply DEEEEEEEE-VINE!  It's so what I was going for in mine but never obtained completely. It's so well composed and the set backs in plant height in the design are so perfect.

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2007, 08:02:45 pm »
My dear friend Marilyn, who makes medicinal cookies, has a lovely garden outside of her home.  She has an amazing knack for gardening. And, her ability of turning chicken shit into chicken salad is beyond measure.

I am going to pay a final visit to her tomorrow, and I will take a picture of her garden, as it is a place I would truly like to share with everyone.  It is a fairy garden, where I always like to drink hibiscus tea (euphymism for Cosmos, Margaritas or anything with liquor in it) with her.  Of particular mention are the babytears which run rampant crawling the rocks, the sidewalk... everywhere.

She treats her plants like children who sometimes misbehave.  When they fall out of favor, she uproots them, and moves them to another spot, constantly changing her landscape.  Whole trees, she's been known to uproot just because she doesn't like how it shades in a certain season.

Marilyn is 62 years old, and she looks like Debbie Harry.  She has a child-like optimism for everything in the world...  and can find joy where no joy should exist.   Never before have I ever met anyone who was so willing to do other people's laundry, ironing, dishes, yardwork, bathroom cleaning and so forth.  

The thing I think that is most notable about her is her ability to grow with changes and to constantly evoke optimism in others.  She also was there for me, when every friend I had left me abandoned.

She is the person I would love to be when I grow up, and leave her garden.

-joseph
(pictures forthcoming)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 08:04:39 pm by Strayboy74 »

Offline mjmel

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2007, 08:11:44 pm »
WOW! Annie, I also see a great amount of labor and dedication here. So gorgeous and perfect and peaceful looking.
xxx,
Mike
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 08:13:50 pm by mjmel »

Offline Robert

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2007, 09:53:04 pm »
Last fall Michael and I built  10 raised garden beds, each about 10 X 5.  The soil here is nothing but clay.  Down by the creek is some great loom so I spent a lot of time carting up truck loads of loom to lay down in the beds.  Bought top soil by the truck loads.  Oh yeah, first we had to lay down chicken wire to keep the moles out.  We also have chicken wire 7' tall around the garden to keep out the deer.  Now the garden is down the road, towards the barn and not accessible to water.  So I had to put in a new irrigation system.  After the winter rains started, the clay in the hard ground was wet enough to dig down deep enough to lay the PVC pipe.  (Also, I put in an electrical line in case we ever want to have power down by the gardens.)  Anyway it took most of the winter to dig the lines.  My brother asked me why I didn't rent a ditch digger and I could have finished it in a weekend.  Well, I've got plenty of time  and not much else and, beside, how am I going to get all the exercise I need to battle away that friggin' depression?

So finally February comes along and the winter rains stop.  February and March were just beautiful here so we were able to plant the beds.  I put in spinach, beans, corn (already almost 2' high) asparagus, rhubarb, tomatoes, strawberries, onions, and peppers.  I got my first berries last week.   For the last month we've had fresh spinach salads every night for dinner.  I tried blueberries but they didn't make it.  Not sure what happened.

In our orchard we planted  5 orange trees (3 navels, a valencia and a blood orange) a lemon tree, a grapefruit tree, an almond, a plum (all self-fruiting) 2 gala apples, a peach tree, 2 cherry trees (sweet) and one tart cherry tree (for my pies.)  I' hoping next year the trees will bear fruit.  Especially the orange trees as I love nothing better than fresh orange juice every morning. 

For each of the garden beds and each of the trees, we've extended the PVC pipes so each can be watered separately.  We put down soaker hoses so come summer time, when it's 110'+ all we have to do is turn on the water.  That's the plan at least.  Come hot August nights we can sit back and listen to the corn grow, drink fresh lemon aid and have it made in the shade

robert

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2007, 01:36:44 pm »
Here's a few photos of what I've got growing.  The strawberries are in boxes that
that are attached to the railing of my deck.  The fig tree is in the front yard, and was
started from a cutting from a friend's tree.  The heirloom roses I found growing next
to an old barn.  And the salvia garden is at the end of my front walk, and I hope will be
blooming like crazy in about 2-3 weeks.

Cheers,

Henry

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Basquo

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2007, 01:47:51 pm »
Awesome pics, everyone!  I need to harvest green beans. I live in an apartment, but on the ground floor, so I just put beds in behind the building off my porch.  I may do some gardening later today and will post some pics if I do so. Going to the BF's first to help him set up a garage workshop for his dad.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2007, 02:15:42 pm »
I'm really thrilled with the way this thread has taken off!  Such great posts and gorgeous photos, all of you!  Simply breath taking!  Keep them coming, both the stories and the photos.

Meantime, for anyone interested, a small musical interlude for this thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AgVuvuqjd4
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2007, 02:36:54 pm »
I've got a bunch of these planted, can anyone tell me what they are and if they are good for anything?

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2007, 02:39:08 pm »
Um, Doxie...I can't really tell from the photo.  Looks like it's probably just some kind of weed.

Better send it to me so I can take a closer look.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2007, 02:58:30 pm »
Oh Hal...

I think those may be a species of rare tomatos or maybe a tea?.  I recommend you let them grow, add water about every three days.  When they are about 4 ft tall, hang them upsidedown for about 7 days.  After they have cured maybe you could bring some samples of the flowers for further inspection to AMG.   ;D.  I have a few of those too and they just keep coming back.  Have the best day
Michael
(who always has a special package of little papers for proper disposal)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 03:00:25 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2007, 05:11:11 pm »
Hey Hal

I have a nice batch of opium poppies to go with your "Weed".. ;)..I'm told they are illegal to grow, but they were in the garden when I moved, the buds are so big (about the size of a medium potatoe) and very beautiful when in full flower so there is no way I'm taking it out.

Hugs

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2007, 05:18:07 pm »
Now...more than ever....I want to go to Jan's.   ;D

I swear, with all the fantastic animals and gorgeous grounds, it sounded better than Disney Land to begin with.

But opium poppies?  Talk about a Magic Kingdom! 

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2007, 05:39:54 pm »
Hey Jan,

That's cool...I had a friend bring me some of these plants from Columbia and I planted about an acre of them behind the barn on my dad's farm. Would you mind bringing some of your poppies with you to AMG?

Hal :P

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2007, 05:44:00 pm »
I revise.  I'm going to Doxie's.

Make that:  to Doxie's FIRST.  Then Jan's. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2007, 06:54:47 pm »
this is a super thread....I don't have a garden anymore but over the years have had several...started way back when I lived in the city  ( Boston)  .Grandfather dug up every little patch of dirt around the house..put chicken coops under the porch  and planted all the veggies...  beans, squash,peas,carrots lettuce..etc..collected rainwater in barrels from the downspouts and dumped the chicken shit in there to make "tea" as he called it..every thing grew beautifully ...as kids he would send us out to the street after the "ice man" to collect the horse manure   ( yes they really delivered ice on horse drawn wagons)   He had his friends/relatives who lived way out in the country bring a truck load of grapes every year..would make two or three barrels of wine..a keg of brandy...and some liquors....of course we were the "labor" he was the instructor and a pretty good one....
After he passed away my Dad started our own garden similar but no wine.....the country relatives /friends took over that job...took the wine press and all the barrels....every time we moved we planted another garden but none were as well done as grandpas..no chicken shit I guess..He really never planted flowers as such..said he couldn't bother with anything he didn't eat.

I have tried over the years to do roses..still do in big pots..not very successful here in Dallas..very hot..  roses don't like hot/windy/dry....but not a true garden like the ones family used to have.

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2007, 06:59:38 pm »
How 'bout some Dancing Condom Blotter?

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2007, 08:26:08 pm »
Hey Jan,

I was in the town where Hollystar lives and was walking down a street called Holly Street.  That in itself could be amazing but I did see hundreds of Opium Poppies growing in the front yard of an old house.  One of my oldest friends lives in that town.  I was curious so I read up on those flowers. 

Opium Poppies were legal up until about a hundred years ago and used in home medicines.  They are often found in the yards of Victorian houses and are such a hardy plant, they continue to thrive even after the houses were torn down and there was no one to care for them.

I did live in my Aunts house for a few years after she passed away and my Grandmother's house was next door.  There was some little poppies there too and in the boxes of junk in the barn, I found a few Opium medicine bottles.  Since the houses on the ranch were all built before indoor plumbing was around, my cousins and I spent many afternoons looking to find the location of the original outhouses.  We hoped to find the old bottles that people threw away.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline fearless

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2007, 11:01:14 pm »
Wow, Jan. Your garden is amazing.

My 'garden' is tiny, but I do the best with the space I have. It's mainly succulents and drought tolerant plants in terracotta pots, due to the climate and water restrictions in place where I live. Everything survivies on water from the heavan's plus 20 litres that I take from my fishtank each week. I also have a few palms, bouganvillea and wysteria which were here when I moved in a few years back.

Which reminds me, i better get out there today and sweep up all the leaves that have fallen in the last week. damn, autumn mess.

Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2007, 11:35:23 pm »
Hi

Just a few of the beautiful plants and colors in my garden during spring/summer..there are so many more but just too many to post..fortunately we don't have water restrictions here in NZ..

Hugs

Offline northernguy

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2007, 01:09:01 am »
Strictly a flower man. I got into roses last year, and added two more to the five already in the garden.  Also have couple of apple trees, but I rarely eat the fruit from them, too many holes and spots!
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2007, 12:13:19 pm »
My little babies!!!  I'm applying my recently received Pottasium Bloom Booster Fertilizer today so I hope to get these f*ckers blooming this season.  It's not as easy as it looks, I assure you.  Anywho, these are from two of my exotic hybrid hibiscus plants.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2007, 09:18:23 pm »
Here’s some photos of my horticultural endeavors.

The first is a Boston fern that belonged to my friend Henry who died of AIDS in 1995. A year later his lover Stan gave it to me. Every two years I chop it into 3 pieces, put them in hanging baskets, and give 2 to friends.

Number 2 is my four-leafed clover.  I bought the corms as an impulse buy 9 years ago.  They usually come out in May, but thanks to Medina Hasta-Gro, they emerged in April this year.  Lovely hot-pink blooms.

Number 3 is a renegade rose bush.  After a rose bush died, to the point that termites were running through the dead stalk, I moved the roses.  A year later, I was working the bed and Ow!  This must have been part of the graft, and somehow survived.  It bloomed in the pot once 4 years ago, but I’ve forgotten what color.  I just know that it’s not the color of the bush I bought. The cat is my rendering of our dear departed Sasha.  It used to be a Hallowe’en decoration, but I leave her out year-round now.

Number 4 is my butterfly milkweeds, the favored host plant of Monarchs.  They are not blooming as they usually do, therefore not attracting butterflies, so I guess I will not be nurturing any Monarchs until October.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2007, 09:31:48 pm »
me likie this threadie

I wish I wouldn't kill indoor plants :( One is not surviving :( I don't know what i'm doing wrong :(

Milker.
nov 2 08 start Atripla

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2007, 09:41:07 pm »
Did you buy it at Walmart in Indiana?

Offline Nadine

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2007, 09:54:25 pm »
Here's a few pictures from last summer.  Every year I dig up more sod to make new flower beds, pretty soon I'll have no grass to mow!  :D

Offline Basquo

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2007, 09:55:26 pm »

Dude!  ::)

The correct query is "Where did you buy it? What plant is it? And can you post a picture?"

sidenote: did the tag say "R-Free"?

Offline Basquo

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2007, 09:57:09 pm »
Here's a few pictures from last summer.  Every year I dig up more sod to make new flower beds, pretty soon I'll have no grass to mow!  :D

Fabulous Nadine!  I love all the color!

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2007, 10:57:12 pm »
It said "Ryan proudly bred this plant" Should I worry?
nov 2 08 start Atripla

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.