Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:57:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 609
Total: 609

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: NYC Mayoral Candidate Forum on HIV/AIDS  (Read 6568 times)

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
NYC Mayoral Candidate Forum on HIV/AIDS
« on: July 23, 2013, 09:08:55 pm »
Hello, howdy. I just came back from the NYC Mayoral Forum on HIV/AIDS. In attendance were Sal Albanese, Adolfo Carrión, Jr, Randy Credico, Bill de Blasio, John Liu, Anthony Weiner and Bill Thompson. Notably absent was Christine Quinn, whose father is sick. She bowed out to stay with him. It was moderated by the editor of Poz, Oriol Gutierrez, and a member of the Community Board at GMHC. I'm a client, but not otherwise involved.

I learned 3 things and exhorted twice. (There were lots of exhortations from one side of what I thought seemed a self-segregated [by race] audience.)

1) I still don't like Christine Quinn and don't want a Quinn mayor's office.
2) I like very much Anthony Weiner.
3) Based on all the political campaign, standard "nice talk", the HIV- and straight communities still think HIV is a gay disease and that GMHC is a gay organization. GMHC goes out of its way not to be seen as the Gay Men's Health Crisis, it seems, though I know more than one gay who finds that irritating.

Anthony Weiner, be he or be he not the butt of your jokes, would be a great mayor, IMHO. Besides his obvious qualifications, every time I felt irritated with other people's stock answers and out-of-touchness, he would respond with something addressing my irritation as if he were reading minds. Example: the candidates were asked to name a concrete specific example of their lives being touched by HIV/AIDS. We got three rote answers about long-dead campaign aides in the 80s or somesuch who served bravely and blah blah blah. One of my exhortations was "we're not all dead". Did none of them know a living pozzie or have a story from this millennium? Then Anthony Weiner talked about Tom Duane's impact (they were freshman state congressmen together) and said something to the effect that not everyone who is positive is a moribund, haggard face waiting for help but that some of the people fighting the most and making a difference were positive. Basically "we're not all dead".

My other exhortation was accidental, but I felt the Holy Ghost. Bill Thompson talked about how twisted it is that there's an incentive to get an AIDS diagnosis before HASA (HIV/AIDS Services Administration) will offer help. I was in the chorus of 'yeah's and 'thank you's on that one.

There was a lot of talk in general about HASA being Bloomberg's test case for cutting services and thinking about the short-term bottom line as opposed to either morality or the long-term bottom line. Emphasis was placed on payments to brokers for long-term housing for low income people HASA clients, on 30% rent caps for affordable housing for HASA clients and on general improvements of HASA service. For context, most people in supportive/low income housing in the city have 30% income rent caps, but not HASA clients. The state legislature has passed a bill on this issue, but it was vetoed by Governor Patterson with urging from Michael Bloomberg. Stable housing is, as you know, particularly important for low-income positive people. It's hard to stay adherent when you don't know where or if you'll sleep tomorrow.

They all said the right things, but  the ones who seemed to "get it" (in my opinion) on needs of HIV+ people, particularly the poor, are:

Adolfo Carrión, Jr, Bill de Blasio, Anthony Weiner and Bill Thompson. I prefer Wiener or Thompson.

Sal Albanese and John Liu seemed to be ever so slightly out of touch and very "professional candidate".

Randy Credico is kind of a show candidacy. I think he's doing it to keep the others as progressive as possible, so.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: NYC Mayoral Candidate Forum on HIV/AIDS
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 06:51:46 am »
Hey Oksi, thank you for the comprehensive break-down of the meeting. I'm going to urge a friend of mine living in NYC to come in to have a read. She may even be moved to post! She's been a member here for a long time, but doesn't post much these days.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mitch777

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 10:54:27 am »
Before all of this sexting came out Weiner spoke out passionately in his career for those in need in our society. I admired him then and doubt his mindset has changed. I hope he doesn't bow out. I honestly think his passion and ideas are needed more in a national way but NYC at least will benefit should he win.

33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 11:02:31 am »
Thanks for posting, but I have a quick observation; isn't GMHC in fact a gay organization?

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 03:46:55 pm »
Before all of this sexting came out Weiner spoke out passionately in his career for those in need in our society. I admired him then and doubt his mindset has changed. I hope he doesn't bow out. I honestly think his passion and ideas are needed more in a national way but NYC at least will benefit should he win.

I guess I have to start voting again, and he'd get my vote. I don't care about sexting or anything else consenting adults do to get their jollies. He sure knows how to work a crowd, by the way. He stood to answer every question, unlike the others, so along with good answers came great presentation.

Thanks for posting, but I have a quick observation; isn't GMHC in fact a gay organization?

Not anymore. They're chasing the disease, so as it moved out into other communities (so to speak), they went along. The client breakdown by sexual orientation is:

48.4% gay
32.2% heterosexual
10.2% prefer not to identify
7.8% bisexual
1.4% lesbian

Roughly 25% of the clients are female. And not all clients are HIV+. I was a client when I was neggers because I was (apparently) a "high-risk negative" (lol). I had forgotten this until they tried to do an intake and told me I'd already done it years earlier. Me and HIV go way back.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 04:42:06 pm »
I guess I have to start voting again, and he'd get my vote. I don't care about sexting or anything else consenting adults do to get their jollies. He sure knows how to work a crowd, by the way. He stood to answer every question, unlike the others, so along with good answers came great presentation.

Not anymore. They're chasing the disease, so as it moved out into other communities (so to speak), they went along. The client breakdown by sexual orientation is:

48.4% gay
32.2% heterosexual
10.2% prefer not to identify
7.8% bisexual
1.4% lesbian

Roughly 25% of the clients are female. And not all clients are HIV+. I was a client when I was neggers because I was (apparently) a "high-risk negative" (lol). I had forgotten this until they tried to do an intake and told me I'd already done it years earlier. Me and HIV go way back.
Yup, votes are the only way it happens.

I am surprised myself at the GMHC stats. Still, with the "G" in their name, it's hard to perceive that it's not a gay organization. Doesn't bug me in any case.
Too funny about your history with them. :)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.