Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:16:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 476
Total: 480

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Some promising results. First pediatric therapeutic HIV vaccine  (Read 3513 times)

Offline Clara zetkin

This is today's news. Italian newspapers are all talking about it. However, I could only find one English sites, plus the study itself (linked below). I am aware that there have been done lot of similar trials and others are still ongoing but this seems cautiously promising (although, of course, more research needs to be done - the study is small). The trial was conducted by the Bambino Gesł Hospital of Rome with no financial support from pharmaceutical companies.  It has been published in the Plos One journal to allow more research, also on adults, to be conducted. They hope the vaccine will become available in a few years.

Here are the two English links:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0079957

http://www.west-info.eu/first-success-of-anti-aids-vaccine-for-children/

Clara

P.S. sorry for posting here...but thought this is interesting news and something people here might be interested in knowing. Will not post again (...without permission).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 12:15:08 pm by Clara zetkin »

Offline Tadeys

Re: Some promising results. First pediatric therapeutic HIV vaccine
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 04:43:33 pm »
This is a phase one trial, right?

Did I miss the boat with this study, because  it does'nt seem like a breakthrough to me at all after reading "moderate immunogenicity." Hope Im wrong. Anybody care to answer?

Offline Clara zetkin

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 11:44:07 am »
Hi Tadeys,

yes - you are right. It's phase one. The authors of the article/study hope that by publishing it open source it will get the attention of the scientific community and be reproduced on a larger scale (although many Italian sources say that they are already looking into doing further testing on children, possibly suspending antivirals for short periods).

And no, it's not a breakthrough as such but moderately encouraging. A previous 1/2 DNA vaccine trial failed to show any immunogenicity... this does, even though it's  moderate. They hope is it can be used in children (and/or adults pending further study) to reduce the risks of virologic failure..as a kind of busting regime, I guess.

This is my understanding.

Clara

(sorry again, but felt I had to answer as I was the one posting this in the first place..will definitely refrain from doing so again ::)).

Offline Tadeys

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 01:39:28 pm »
You can post without a problem all you want as long as it is a somewhat respectable source, which this is. This forum is game for breakthroughs all the way to "failures"....yes, in quotation marks. Science learns a lot form failures.  ;)

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 04:15:58 am »
I have read many many articles like that during the past 13 years!.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.