Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:59:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773214
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 434
Total: 436

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A cure within 10 years? German Breakthrough!  (Read 9447 times)

Offline zeb

A cure within 10 years? German Breakthrough!
« on: June 29, 2007, 05:33:28 am »
This is not a 'Gambian Banana Story'

Though the claim is brought with some caution, German scientists expect to have a cure within 10 years from now.

They have published results of their breaking biotechnoligical research in Science Magazine. The Germans have found a way to 'cut out' the genes of the hiv virus from infected cells. In this way they are able to cure the cells.

I haven't found an English article yet. But here's a link to a Dutch newspaper:
http://www.ad.nl/diagnose/article1470769.ece

greets,
Zeb
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 05:36:51 am by zeb »

Offline ARMANDO

Re: A cure within 10 years? German Breakthrough!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 07:54:06 am »
THATS WHAT THEY SAID 10 YEARS AGO!!! >:( :o

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 08:25:07 am »
I haven't found an English article yet. But here's a link to a Dutch newspaper:
http://www.ad.nl/diagnose/article1470769.ece

Look here, Research News. :)
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline bear60

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 12:38:29 pm »
I think posting this in TREATMENT is a big mistake.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 02:07:04 pm »
i agree with Bear. this is definitely an item for the "research" forum as they aren't claiming a treatment or a side effect (which is the title of this forum) - just the hope of being able to develop this into "something" "sometime" in the future.

quote from http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=13476.0
However, it is still a long way until this approach can be used in clinical practice. “We will first go back to the bench to further improve the enzyme and then test whether the recombinase can be delivered efficiently and safely to cells in the human body”, said Buchholz and Hauber.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline bimazek

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 02:07:30 am »
here is my take on it-- they give you this new med say in 10 years they hope to have it out, ok you take it for three months and the virus is eliminated, then if there is one or two dna strands somewhere still there somewhere it may take months or years then the viral load creeps up or there is a sero convert event and then you have to go back on meds, for 3 months, kind of like herpes or shingles or something... that is worst case in my hopes...

after thinking aobut this over night seems like the period without any problems after the 3 month treatment could be many months or even years, why, because a few strands of dna in a few cells might take a long long time to be activated (it is not like a primary infection where the virus is out side the cell- the dna is deep in the dna and only gets reproduced if the cell is activated)  seems like there could be years of med free existance

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21992355-2702,00.html

In the German experiments, the enzyme recognised sections of infected cell DNA as belonging to HIV, and cut it out. The enzyme, Tre recombinase, eliminated the virus from the infected cells in about three months.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 01:29:55 pm by bimazek »

Offline hahaha

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 09:27:06 am »
bimazek's concern do have a point.  However, I believe there must be some "cocktail" and put HAART+ recombizyne + preventive vaccine + PD-1 or whatever to work out for eradication.

Aug 9, 2006 Get infected in Japan #$%^*
Oct 2006 CD4 239
Nov 2006 CD4 299 VL 60,000
Dec 1, Sustiva, Ziagan and 3TC
Jan 07, CD4 400

Offline bimazek

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 01:31:54 pm »

this is the best detailed science description i have found on this, perhaps milker can shed some light on all this

the bacterial enzyme Cre recombinase, which exchanges any two pieces of DNA flanked on either end by a certain pattern of nucleotides (DNA subunits) known as loxP.  HIV does not naturally contain loxP sites, so the team created a hybrid of the two DNA molecules, which they used to select a series of mutated Cre enzymes that were increasingly able to recognize the combined DNA. The final enzyme, Tre, removed all traces of HIV from cultured human cervical cells after about three months, the researchers report online today in Science.

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?action=post;topic=13483.0;num_replies=6

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.