Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 06:42:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 152
Total: 153

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Diagnosed on May 18 & new to forum. I have a few questions.  (Read 6817 times)

Offline Ocean_Lover

Hello,

Here is a little about me:

I grew up in New York City but now live in San Diego, California. I served in the US Navy from 1990-1997. I served as a Police Officer from 1997-2009. I consider myself Gay even though I have had sex with women in the past.

I am 39 years old and turning 40 at the end of the month. I am currently 6’1” & 175 lbs. I am an extremely active person. I surf, I skateboard, I run, I swim, I Bicycle & practice Bikram (Heated) Yoga.

I practice Yoga 5-6 times a week and surf 2-3 times a week.

I am on a High Protein diet. I consume 4-5 Protein shakes a day which contain 4grams of Carbs & 30grams of Protein per serving.

In the last 3 years I have not had so much as a sniffle let alone anything that I needed to go to the Doctor for so I did not for almost 3 years. (No idea how long I have had virus)

On 05-18-11 I received that dreaded call from my Doctor after blood work that I tested positive for HIV. I was told that the initial screening returned positive the subsequent two additional tests came back positive as well. (Possible bad result get tested again)?

I was referred to the infectious disease dept in late June. (I have Kaiser)

To be honest I have no idea who or how I acquired this virus but the simple fact is I have it now. I was not that sexually active and when I was I thought I protected myself enough but I was wrong. I honestly believe I acquired the virus from performing oral & swallowing.

Like is to be expected I have a few questions that I hope you all can answer for me.

1. Is this a death sentence?
2. Is waiting till the end of June to see Infectious Disease Dr. to long to wait?
3. How many medications will I be prescribed to take right off the bat?
4. What are the side effects of these medications?
5. Is my diet of High protein dangerous?
6. Is taking some much Bikram Yoga dangerous?
7. Is being in the Ocean dangerous?

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: Diagnosed on May 18 & new to forum. I have a few questions.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 01:41:17 pm »
Like is to be expected I have a few questions that I hope you all can answer for me.

1. Is this a death sentence?
2. Is waiting till the end of June to see Infectious Disease Dr. to long to wait?
3. How many medications will I be prescribed to take right off the bat?
4. What are the side effects of these medications?
5. Is my diet of High protein dangerous?
6. Is taking some much Bikram Yoga dangerous?
7. Is being in the Ocean dangerous?

Welcome to the forums and I hope you can gain a lot of information from being here.

With that said let me address your questions.

1) Definitely not

2) That depends on when you were infected and the state of your current numbers but I really don't think another month or two will hurt you.  This disease progresses in terms of years not weeks or months.

3) Once again this depends on your numbers.  If you are just fighting HIV they are many different medications some are simply one pill formulated with three different anti-retrovirals, and some come as separate pills.  All Hiv treatment uses 3 different drugs as a baseline however to prevent the virus from mutating against one of the components and rendering it useless.

4)  It depends on which medications you eventually decide on.  This is a rather detailed answer for each different regimen.

5) No
6) No
7) Questionably so, once your immune system is compromised there are things in the ocean that could potentially be more harmful than to someone without a compromised immune system however this question is better suited for some of our members who dive in the ocean regularly.

I hope this helps.

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 09:48:04 am »
Welcome to the forum Ocean,

I'm recently diagnosed myself, well back in November so about 6 months.  I'm on medication and am doing well.  If you have any specific questions then please ask away.  There are lot of folks that have good advise here, so you are in a good place.  Try not to worry too much and take it one step at a time.

mike
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline Ocean_Lover

SCARED & NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!! ***PLEASE READ AND ANSWER***
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 11:16:49 am »
I am new to this site. I have several questions and I hope you can help me.

Here is a little about me:

I am a Bisexual male.

I am 6’1” & 175 pounds. I am 39 years of age. I am an avid Surfer & Bikram Yoga Yogi (Heated Yoga). I also run, skateboard, dog walks, swim, bicycle, beach volleyball etc….

I eat healthy (cook a majority of my own meals), I do not drink alcohol nor do I smoke cigarettes. I do use Medical Marijuana from time to time in the edible form & vaporizer form.

I was just recently diagnosed with HIV. I went to Kaiser Doctor for physical & had blood drawn. I received the dreaded phone call from my Doctor advising me that my test returned positive for HIV. THIS WAS A COMPLETE SURPRISE.

I have yet to have a secondary test to confirm the result of the first test. Has anyone ever heard of someone testing positive than negative?

I was told by my Doctor that I needed to see the infectious disease Doctor and they sent up an appointment towards the end of June, is this too far off?

I suffer from severe Anxiety & Insomnia and have for quite sometime. Since the news came in my anxiety has not got any better. I am worrying and stressing myself out beyond belief.

I find that I have convinced myself that I have a fever 24/7, body aches, chills and that I am gong to die. I feel these symptoms get worse at nighttime. I combat those feelings with cold ice packs and bubble baths.

I have yet to tell anyone and need advice on whatever you think pertains to what I am saying or personal experiences you have gone through as well.

Thank you for reading=)

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
Re: SCARED & NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!! ***PLEASE READ AND ANSWER***
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 11:26:22 am »
I was just recently diagnosed with HIV. I went to Kaiser Doctor for physical & had blood drawn. I received the dreaded phone call from my Doctor advising me that my test returned positive for HIV. THIS WAS A COMPLETE SURPRISE.

I have yet to have a secondary test to confirm the result of the first test. Has anyone ever heard of someone testing positive than negative?

Yes -- some people do test negative on the western blot.  The idea is that no test is perfect, so you want the first test to err on the side of identifying people who are or even might be infected.  That way if you test negative on the first test you know you are negative, and if you test positive you go in for an additional look -- but just because they need to look carefully doesn't mean you are automatically infected with HIV.

So sit tight while you wait for the results of your confirmatory test.  You can read more about testing in the lessons here: http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/HIVtests_5029.shtml
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 11:28:33 am »
Your not going to die.  June is ok for your appointment.  Try and relax (I know its hard).   Sorry your positive.  It will be ok.    

Gotta love bubble baths.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 11:45:56 am »
This may sound trite, but you are going to be just fine.

I promise you will not die before your appt in June (barring a bus plowing over you), nor will waiting make your HIV harder to treat (if you are in fact poz).

Try and relax, I realize it's hard to do, but really I think your causing yourself more grief and physical symptoms by freaking out. Try to keep yourself busy in the meantime, and yes bubble baths are very good at helping you to relax.

Many years ago I had a friend test poz on first test, and neg on second...so yeah it happens. But don't deny the fact that there is a good chance you are poz. Remember being Poz is no longer a death sentence, and todays drugs allow for a normal quality of life.

Just hang in there and chin up.  ;D

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 11:47:46 am »
Ocean, you cannot post essentially the same thread in multiple forums. I have deleted two of the threads you started and left the other two because you have begun to get responses. I am going to link those two together in here.

It sounds like you are in a super-anxious state. That's understandable. But gradually things are going to fall into shape for you.

Just use this thread to talk with other members.

It's not clear to me that you have reliably tested positive. I would say the next step should be to have a western blot done to establish reliably whether you are in fact positive or possibly still negative. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 11:52:06 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline jp2011ny

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 04:24:15 pm »
hey ocean,
I was diagnosed in March this year. I completely understand what you are going through right now. I am still scared and confused about my diagnosis. But at the same time I try to tell myself that I will live until I'm ready to die no matter what. Get anti depressant if you can. It helps with anxiety. I increased my dosage when I got my news.
I have done 2 blood tests since my diagnosis. My next test is in July. The second test went OK. Like you there are a million things going through my mind about the whole thing. I have been educating myself reading as much info on this web site or anywhere out there as I can. And I try to focus on my responsibilities like taking care of my dogs.
There are so many kind, experienced, helpful and supportive people on this forum. Keep asking questions and express your concerns. You are not alone.
Go to the beach and enjoy the weather. Summer in NY is gross.....
Take care.
JP

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 03:56:04 pm »
hey ocean,
I was diagnosed in March this year. I completely understand what you are going through right now. I am still scared and confused about my diagnosis. But at the same time I try to tell myself that I will live until I'm ready to die no matter what. Get anti depressant if you can. It helps with anxiety. I increased my dosage when I got my news.
I have done 2 blood tests since my diagnosis. My next test is in July. The second test went OK. Like you there are a million things going through my mind about the whole thing. I have been educating myself reading as much info on this web site or anywhere out there as I can. And I try to focus on my responsibilities like taking care of my dogs.
There are so many kind, experienced, helpful and supportive people on this forum. Keep asking questions and express your concerns. You are not alone.
Go to the beach and enjoy the weather. Summer in NY is gross.....
Take care.
JP
Summer in NY is not gross,  Difficult, but not gross.  As for the rest, all it means is that you really have to maintain good health.  You have already got the good eating habit and exercise.  Now you must become more in charge of your health and make decisions that will help you stay fight the virus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline Buffalosad

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 09:43:41 am »
I was diagnosed 9 months ago and know how you feel. I was in a great state of depression and not able to sleep at all. My mind did not shut down at all about being HIV +. I was given ambrien to help me sleep which sort of at least made me sleep for a few hours, instead of none. You need to try to find something to do to relax and it will get better. It has taken me 9 months and finally have realized it is better and life will go on. You also will get to this point and I hope it is soon.
You cant really rush the system and it seems not to matter, for you obviously it seems like it is not fast enough, but all will be ok.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.