Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:34:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 361
Total: 362

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Truvada and the sun.  (Read 10596 times)

Offline ubotts

Truvada and the sun.
« on: August 07, 2007, 11:39:48 am »
 ??? Hi all.
I was wondering if taking truvada isn't good when your taking the sun.
Last month i was put on this med instead of combivir and i never had a problem
before with tanning..
Last week i was on the beach and when i got home and looked into the mirror
my face looked like i had rosacha or however you spell it.
My face looked like a big rash with bumps on my cheeks of my face..the rest of my body was fine..So can anyone here enlighten me on this issue..
I be so grateful to know what to do and what not to do.
I did look it up but it never said anything about taking the sun on this medicine.
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
Re: Truvada and the sun.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 01:56:06 pm »
Never heard of photosensitivity related to Truvada, Emtriva or Viread.  My guess would be some unrelated factor like an environmental irritant, another drug, or a food that irritated your skin.
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline ubotts

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 12:52:31 pm »
Hell, iam not sure what is happening to my face and anymore..
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline mjmel

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 01:30:41 pm »
Hell, ubotts, if you were taking chemo for cancer treatment would you go lay out in the blazing sun? No, of course not.
Then, consider that these perscribed drugs are extremely powerful drugs. They are assaulting the HIV virus yet assaulting the body as well.
Unfortuately, at this point in time, I cannot cite a specific study on avoidance of sunbathing when on HIV meds.  I am on Truvada, Norvir & Invirase and I feel like hell if I stay in the blazing sun too long--even with a wide-bimmed straw hat and fully clothed.
My advice: Stop sunbathing; wear sunscreen.
Hope this goes away soon......and I hope this bizarre reaction discourages you from sunbathing in the future.

Mike

Offline ubotts

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 10:41:17 am »
Mjmel
I have sun tanned for the last 5 yrs while on meds and nothing ever happened
to me..
So I don't why this year is any different... :-[  I know sun is bad for you so i do
put sunscreen on all the time..
It was just one day, that this happened to me..
So iam gonna give it another try..thanks anyway for your comment.

Offline cruisin512

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 05:37:38 pm »
I am on Atripla right now (Sustiva and Truvada in one pill).  I am also solar powered (always have been)...LOVE getting out in the sun.  Brown fat looks better than white fat  ;).  I have seen no out-of-the-ordinary reactions.

Are you also on any kind of antibiotic?  They can cause hypersensitivity to the sun.

Either way, if you're having this kind of reaction, go with a good sunscreen.

Good luck-

Offline RICKY77531

• just Chill
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 09:23:15 pm »
I work in the hot sun all day....on Atripla...nothing here so far.....
06/2007   CD4 266  Vl 62000
06/2007   CD4 200  Vl 13495
07/2007   ATRIPLA
09/2007   CD4 323  VL Undetectable
11/2007   CD4 428  VL Undetectable
01/2008   CD4 357  VL Undetectable
04/2008   CD4 357  VL UNDETECTABLE
08/2008   CD4 402  VL UNDETECTABLE
11/2008   CD4 421  79 DETECTABLE..
2/2009     CD4 450  VL UNDETECTABLE

Offline Paulette

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 10:38:57 am »
I started truvada along with reyataz, and norvir back in Feb 2007, the only thing I've noticed is that i tan better. which to me is good because i tend to look healthier with a tan ;D
Paulette

Poz. since 11/7/2003
VL-undetecable
CD843
I have HIV; it doesn't me;)

Offline ubotts

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 12:14:24 pm »
Maybe it was the zytec D i was on for allergies.. :-\ Plus I probably need a better sun screen since the ozone layer is depleting..I dunno..

Maybe next year, will be a better one for me.. :-*Thanks for your replies

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 09:24:06 am »
I AM TAKING TRUVADA ALSO AND HAVE EXPERIENCED THE SAME REACTION TO THE SUN,ESPECIALLY AROUND THE EYES AND ON MY CHEEKS,LITTLE BUMPS USUALLY GO AWAY AFTER A FEW HOURS.

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 01:23:21 pm »
If you in the US or its territories, use the FDA's MedWatch system to report adverse events like the ones you have been discussing here:

http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/index.html

The faster events are reported and the closer the reporting is to the patient, the safer our drug production and distribution systems are supposed be.  Nine years ago I made my physician report sudden massive body hair loss due to Crixivan through the system in place at that time, but in recent years I have used MedWatch for several other issues.

....silly of me to not think of MedWatch sooner
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 01:41:58 pm »
Sun?  Tan?  What the hell are THOSE?

~ Cindy (The Whitest White One)
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.