Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:55:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773206
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 524
Total: 526

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I can't afford Isentress anymore... drop it? switch?  (Read 6616 times)

Offline blue1

I can't afford Isentress anymore... drop it? switch?
« on: October 05, 2012, 05:20:41 pm »
I've been on Truvada + darunavir/ritonavir + Isentress since July 2012 without any side effects and a dramatic decrease in VL (66000 down to 73 in 1 month) and jump in CD4.

I live in Australia but do not qualify for medicare here, so I have to buy the meds online.  The cost per pill is roughly:
Truvada = $2.60
Darunavir = $2.60 (300mg so I need 3 per day)
Ritonavir = $1.60
Isentress = $10.00 (I need 2 per day)

The strain of HIV I have has a potential partial resistance to Tenofovir (in the Truvada).

Buying everything online costs me about $950 per month.  If I were to drop Isentress from my regimen it would only be $333 per month.  So, as you can see the Isentress is very expensive and I just don't know if I can afford it.

But, can I afford NOT to take it???  That is the question I ask to you all.  I was told this combo is a little bit overkill anyway, so perhaps dropping Isentress would have no effect, especially if I'm already undetectable.  Truvada + daurunaivr/ritonavir could be sufficient even if I have potential partial resistance to tenofovir?

Or instead of just dropping Isentress, perhaps there is something I could replace it with that doesn't cost so much?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: I can't afford Isentress anymore... drop it? switch?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 05:33:06 pm »
"overkill" would be relative -- in an ordinary patient yes, but I will assume that your resistance profile leads your doctor to have you on one extra HIV med in addition to a standard HAART one. fyi, that's what my situation is and I'm on exactly the same combo that you have been put on.

At any rate you should be discussing this with your doctor, not people on the internet who don't have access to your most current geno/phenotype lab test.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline blue1

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 05:38:35 pm »
Thanks for the reply :)  Yeah, I do discuss with my doctor as well..but doesn't hurt to ask around.  And some of the people on these forums have been around long enough to know just as much as many doctors. 

I gather information from every source and weight its validity according to the source ;)

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 08:15:44 pm »
do you not have access to insurance and co-pay assistance?
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 08:17:42 pm »
His older posts indicate he's a US citizen living/working in Australia, and one of the conditions for working there was that he have private insurance.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 01:41:41 am »
An money, money, money...

Since it is possible the tenofovir in Truvada is doing nothing (revisiting your nuke mutations in your older post) and your viral load is too low for a phenotype test, you could consider dropping the tenofovir and the Isentress once your viral load is undetectable and use boosted darunavir + 3TC << 3TC is cheap and many generic versions available. The results from boosted darunavir monotherapy studies for people with suppressed viral load are very good, if still small-scale. Especially if this is a stop gap until you go home next year eh?

But yes, tis a good question, can you afford not to take Isentress? Another one is can you afford/do you want to take nevirapine instead?

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 04:32:36 pm »
More or less nevirapine (viramune) is ca. 1/3 of Isentress (by standard manufacturer list price)

Strangely enough hte OP might have to or want to use NVP because it is cheaper (and a generic is available in some countries and soon everywhere);

Me, if I could be allowed to it, I would have preferred Isentress to Viramune.
In socialized healthcare (at least here), if you can afford to pay for some drugs that gvt has restricted to second line regimen, you are simply not allowed to it.

It just make me so angry and envious that, in the free world, people can opt to pay for their own drugs and not having big gvt have a say so on meds choice.

I am not sure but I think that hte OP is aged 68 and may have started meds with a relatively low or medium- low nadir.

Under such circumstances, considering that a switch is not too risky but not without risk (even if it is a small one), I think the OP does not have hte luxury of a virological failure. Making the switch ca. 6 months after becoming UD should minimize the risk, IMHO, eventhough I can not offer a rationale for this.

Viramune may be a good option to discuss with doc , but I personnaly would be a bit more conservative about the timing for the switch

Hope this helps

Eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline chgo2012

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 04:57:24 pm »
if you American, sounds like what you should drop is your job. If working abroad doesn't pay enough even for your "life saving" meds, you have no business staying there or anywhere else that you can't take care of your health properly. At least in America you have some access.

When I think about the facility some other countries offer (i.e. Brasil)  I think seriously in drop everything and get the hell out of here.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 08:57:12 pm »
His older posts indicate he's a US citizen living/working in Australia, and one of the conditions for working there was that he have private insurance.

If he (You Blue1) has insurance that covers some of the med costs, why not check into co-pay assistance available from Merck and Gilead and all the rest of the makers of his regimen's meds? I'm not aware of any that don't offer co-pay assistance if the person is eligible.

Thanks to BillyB, I've used this option for more than a year and it's saved a considerable amount of money.

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 11:02:35 am »
i know its a long flight, but is there anyway to get your meds 6 months at a time and fly back to the states to get your refills.  i could be missing the whole point here because i just skimmed the post.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.