Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:32:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 665
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 611
Total: 611

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The effect of aging, nutrition, and exercise during HIV infection  (Read 4416 times)

Offline gemini20

I've been searching for articles about exercise and its impact on t-cells (for some reason mine have dropped from 475 to 281, and I wondered if I'd been hitting the treadmill too much!) and came across this really comprehensive article published last month that I thought others might be interested in reading (download full article rather than the abstract).

http://www.dovepress.com/the-effect-of-aging-nutrition-and-exercise-during-hiv-infection-peer-reviewed-article-HIV-recommendation1

If it's more appropriate in the Nutrition forum perhaps a moderator could move it for me - though I think it deserves a wider audience!

Thanks,

Emma

Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: The effect of aging, nutrition, and exercise during HIV infection
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 01:05:12 am »
Hey Emma,

I thought the discussion of immunosenescence in people who are aging with HIV was interesting. This is an issue I have thought about, and wondered whether it might not play some part in the long-term health of we who are in the LTS crowd.

There were no real new conclusions offered that I had not heard discussed before, but the discussion of nutrition and moderate exercise was interesting.  I agree with the statement that more research is going to be needed because this issue is going to grow, not disappear.

On a side note, you said your T cells had dropped. What about your viral load? Are you still taking ARVs?

Just being nosy - as well as concerned.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline gemini20

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 06:53:33 am »
On second reading I agree that the article doesn't come up with any new conclusions but I was pleased to find something that was so detailed on these three particular aspects of life with HIV.

On a side note, you said your T cells had dropped. What about your viral load? Are you still taking ARVs?

My viral load is still undetectable but both % and actual numbers have dropped over the summer (33 down to 24% and 475 down to 281). I am still on my boosted Darunavir only regime and have only missed a handful of doses over the last four months.

The only other factor that might have affected the numbers is I had a bad reaction to a local anaesthetic from dental work about four days before getting blood taken and wonder if that might account for it.

I'm really hoping its just a blip because it's never good to see the numbers dropping when I am on the meds.

On the flip side I do still feel fantastic and am running up to 12 miles a week and cycling between 12-15 miles so I'm not going to stress the numbers too much!

Thanks for your concern Mark (not nosey at all!)

Emma

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 09:46:40 pm »
Ema,
Thanks for posting the article. That is a blip I hope, how often do you get your labs? Every 4 months?

If I also may ask, what reaction did you have at the dentist? (Not nosey, just concerned)

HUGS

Jeff
Positive since 1985

Granny60

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 12:03:13 am »
Just a word of caution again.... Many benzodiazapines ( a class of about 40 muscle relaxants, sedatives, antixiotics, amnesics such as Midazolam, and etc) are constrained  for use in people taking some HIV meds.  Make sure you are familiar with the product label of the meds you are taking. Some anesthesiologists, dentists, and doctors are not familiar enough with HIV meds to have all drug reactions on the tip of their tongue.  Some reactions can be life threatening. Your pharmacist can also give you a product label or a list of meds to avoid.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 04:47:21 am »
Emma, I hope your numbers go back up!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:50:56 am by BT65 »
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline gemini20

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 05:20:34 am »
If I also may ask, what reaction did you have at the dentist? (Not nosey, just concerned)

Hi Jeff, about 12 hours after the anaesthetic and dental work I got fever/chills; diarrhoea, vomiting; and excruciating headaches prior to going to the dentist I had been 100% healthy and well so can only conclude that something went wrong as a result of the dental treatment.

Some anesthesiologists, dentists, and doctors are not familiar enough with HIV meds to have all drug reactions on the tip of their tongue.

I think that was part of my problem Granny60; I hadn't been to a dentist for about 8 years but broke off half a tooth so had to sign up with a new dentist for an emergency appointment (I did disclose my status but she never asked me anything about my treatment and my meds do interact with Lidocaine). Needless to say I won't be going back to that dental practice again in the future.

Emma, I hope your numbers go back up!

Me too BT! I bloody hate it when the numbers do silly things like drop!

Thanks,

Emma

Offline andres101984

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 09:28:43 am »
Wait a minute!
So its not good to exercise too much??
Diag: 08/12/2010
11/03/2010 1st Lab: CD4:200 - VL: 250,000
04/05/2011 2nd Lab: CD4:358 - VL: 81
15/06/2011 3rd Lab: CD4: None taken - VL: UD (Yayyy!!!)

Offline Grinch

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 07:04:13 pm »
Wait a minute!
So its not good to exercise too much??
That's not what the article says.  Anecdotally, since beginning a regimen of resistance training, plyometric training, and enhanced diet with Glutamine and protein supplements, I have more energy, significantly fewer gastric issues, and a general sense of better health. I look and feel better than I have in 15 years.

The article speaks specifically about Glutamine, whey protein, and fish oil supplements. More study is in order but here's the conclusion of the white paper:

Age-related immunosenes- cence can increase the challenges of controlling viral loads and optimizing CD4+ T-lymphocyte cell counts. Because immunosenescence is an inherent phenomenon that may be acceleratedbyHIV,strategiesthatcanpotentiallymodifythis process should be used. Nutrition therapy may support the effectiveness of the medical treatments by improving cellular function through the supplementation of both macronutrients and micronutrients. Physical activity, known to provide a number of benefits for noninfected individuals, can exert positive effects on metabolic and cardiovascular functions while not imposing deleterious effects on the immune system.

Offline Jody

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 09:34:50 pm »
Some sage advice given here Emma dearest and I think it is likely your dental issues played a role in your numbers which hopefully are a blip...Is it possible you might add another drug to your regimen as an option?  I think moderate, but not very stressful, exercise has worked well for me when I can get to the gym or out for a fresh air walk.  Good dental care is very, very much a key to good health.  Best wishes going forward Emma,  you are very lovely person indeed.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 08:19:31 am »
It's funny you should this for my T cells went from in June 2010  from 712 to 398 in October 2010.  I had lost alot of weight and I try to work out with weight at least four times a week.  My viral load is undictable, but that large drop have have me worried.  Thanks for your info.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.