Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:42:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 623
Total: 624

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV-Infected Patients More Likely to Lack Cancer Treatment  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
HIV-infected patients more likely to lack cancer treatment
Study is first to find association independent of insurance status and other health conditions
Date:
May 17, 2016
Source:
American Cancer Society
Summary:
HIV-infected patients with cancer in the United States appear to be less likely to receive cancer treatment, regardless of insurance and other existing health conditions, a new report suggests.

From Science Daily:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/05/160517120500.htm
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
Re: HIV-Infected Patients More Likely to Lack Cancer Treatment
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 07:18:04 pm »
The first paragraph here bothers me somewhat....

Cancer is an increasingly common cause of morbidity and mortality among individuals infected with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). In the United States, cancer incidence rates in this population have increased since the introduction of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART). Cancer is now the second most common cause of death among HIV-infected individuals, after AIDS-related deaths.

Is that actually true? In the US the LEADING cause of death for those HIV+ are 'AIDS-Related' deaths?

HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline hiv_rizzy

• Male. 28. Positive
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 05:59:10 pm »
The first paragraph here bothers me somewhat....

Is that actually true? In the US the LEADING cause of death for those HIV+ are 'AIDS-Related' deaths?

I want to know myself. Are the pills still toxic enough to be causing Cancer later on or is it the immune system getting too much inflammation due to constant activation
Discovery! April 26, 2016
- Positive test confirmed by blood test
-Viral load and CD4 unknown
-May 31st update - big delay at gov hosp lab
#July 9th late Results: CD4 16/ VL 13, 027
*Prescribed Atripla combo with Bactrim
#September CD4 97 / VL UD
February CD4 137 / VL UD

Offline PittGurl

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 06:05:34 pm »
also would like to know  :'( :'( :'(
Infected ~5/16/15-7/19/15
8-2-15    CD4=286; VL=43800; 15% WB Pos Test Confirmed (waiting for genotype to start Triumeq)
9-4-15    Started Triumeq thanks to the people on board encouraging me :)
9-21-15    CD4=570; VL 26; 30% 16 days on Triumeq….
10-27-15   CD4=522; VL=UNDETECTABLE!!!; 29%    7 wks, 4 days on Triumeq
1-28-16    CD4=479; VL=UD; 31% almost 5 mo on Triumeq
4-27-16    CD4=580; VL=UD; 32%
7-28-16    CD4=991; VL=UD; 38% almost 1 year on Triumeq
8-3-16    ONE YEAR DX
10-27-16    CD4=765; VL=UD; 39%
3-8-17   CD4=709; VL=27; 39%
7-13-17   CD4=942; VL=UD; 41%
10/12/17   CD4=626; VL=UD; 39%
1/21/18    CD4=650; VL=UD; 40%
4/26/18   CD4=893; VL=UD; 39%
8/9/18   CD4=858; VL=UD; 41%
12/27/18   CD4=841; VL=UD; 41%
4/24/19   CD4=751; VL=UD; 39%
8/27/19   CD4=719; VL=UD; 36%
10/31/19   CD4=746; VL=UD; 37%

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 08:37:22 pm »
I want to know myself. Are the pills still toxic enough to be causing Cancer later on or is it the immune system getting too much inflammation due to constant activation

The pills won't be causing cancer themselves. Low level inflammation due to HIV in the reservoirs is still an issue which can cause some issues in later life, I believe (not cancer specifically)

But the report stated that the top killer of HIV+ people in the US were AIDS-related. Whilst I know that this will include people who didn't start treatment, or stopped treatment for a variety of reasons, it still seems a bit of a strong statement, as to my understanding in the setting of modern ARV treatment, there is not the guaranteed slide down into AIDS as the immune system is maintained at normal, or near-normal levels.

It could just be poor wording in the report, and I suspect that's what it is. Or it is using outdated statistics.

Hope so anyway :)
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 09:14:07 pm »

But the report stated that the top killer of HIV+ people in the US were AIDS-related. Whilst I know that this will include people who didn't start treatment, or stopped treatment for a variety of reasons, it still seems a bit of a strong statement, as to my understanding in the setting of modern ARV treatment, there is not the guaranteed slide down into AIDS as the immune system is maintained at normal, or near-normal levels.

It could just be poor wording in the report, and I suspect that's what it is. Or it is using outdated statistics.

Hope so anyway :)

Well, it could mean exactly what it says, which is along the lines of what you point out above, that some people didn't start treatment (died of an OI at or near diagnosis) or stopped treatment, so they died of an "Aids-related" cause, and that was the top cause of death of HIV-positive people in terms of absolute numbers.

On the face of it, that "fact" is not inconsistent with the notion that an HIV-positive person keeping to his or her regimen of meds won't die of Aids.  In other words, it could mean that though more and more people with HIV are dying of cancer, those with HIV dying of cancer is second as a cause of death to those still dying of Aids, in terms of absolute numbers, because too many people are getting diagnosed too late or are not taking meds consistently.  More outreach and education is needed.

Moral of story:  get tested, get diagnosed early, start appropriate treatment early, don't die of Aids, but instead die of something secondary, such as cancer.  If you get diagnosed too late or don't take your meds, you won't "get the chance" to die of cancer:  you'll be dead of Aids first.  It's that simple:  take your meds!

Beyond that, the story seems to indicate that those who have HIV and cancer are disenfranchised in one way or another (socio-economic, race) so that efforts must be made to assure that HIV-positive people who have cancer are adequately and fairly treated so that a disproportionate number of them don't fall between the "treatment" cracks, so to speak.

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline hiv_rizzy

• Male. 28. Positive
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 09:40:44 pm »
I don't know anyone who would want to die from cancer. It's a serious concern to persons living with hiv. It's unfair to think living healthy and taking meds yet still one will die from something so cold as cancer **because of hiv**. I hope it is due to the fact if persons are not taking their meds or discovered to have their hiv gone to aids before they started meds. Not because we are living normal lifespan means we want to automatically die from cancer.
CANCER- the most horrifying thing to have.
February CD4 137 / VL UD

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 10:09:08 pm »
calm down people. Are you 28 rizzy?  Focus on living and building your life. Diseases of old age are decades down the line.
Yes cancer is a horrible death. Many deaths by disease are horrible. Not just cancer.

Ever see someone dye of severe MS?

HIV+ and HIV neg people - we all gonna die... and some of us from cancer. My dad died of cancer and it was horrible. Lived a full life, family, career, etc, then he died. That's life.

Look forward to the living not the dying.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline hiv_rizzy

• Male. 28. Positive
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 10:33:51 pm »
calm down people. Are you 28 rizzy?  Focus on living and building your life. Diseases of old age are decades down the line.
Yes cancer is a horrible death. Many deaths by disease are horrible. Not just cancer.

Ever see someone dye of severe MS?

HIV+ and HIV neg people - we all gonna die... and some of us from cancer. My dad died of cancer and it was horrible. Lived a full life, family, career, etc, then he died. That's life.

Look forward to the living not the dying.

Yes I know old age but..... sighs. I would feel better if they hurry up and find a cure. I know death is a must but just don't want my probability of dying to cancer is high due to this virus
February CD4 137 / VL UD

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 11:05:21 pm »
Yes I know old age but..... sighs. I would feel better if they hurry up and find a cure. I know death is a must but just don't want my probability of dying to cancer is high due to this virus

This study doesn't say you have a higher probability of dying from Cancer due to the virus.  Let's be clear -- cancer is the 2nd leading cause of death in the US -- for everyone!!!!

The study was about lack of treatment for cancer, it wasn't about the rates of cancer in HIV+.

And for the record - I can think of a number of things more "horrifying to have" than cancer. (Lou Gehrig's disease instantly comes to mind)  You need to not overreact to things like this.  Live your life -- we never know when our time will come -- or how, so what's the use of worrying.

Mike

Offline PittGurl

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 09:29:03 am »
And for the record - I can think of a number of things more "horrifying to have" than cancer. (Lou Gehrig's disease instantly comes to mind)  You need to not overreact to things like this.  Live your life -- we never know when our time will come -- or how, so what's the use of worrying.
Mike

Mike my dad was diagnosed last year with ALS......just before I find out about my DX....   :(   It is terrible....it's affected our entire family.....in 1 year he has totally lost his ability to talk and eat (except smashed foods in a baby grinder).  He can still walk and use his arms and his mind is sharp....but this is a man that worked hard blue collar work, rode a Harley and was the man of the house with my mom......  now this man is tired, lost alot of weight and being taken care of by the love of his life, my mother. ALS is a much worse DX compared to us. You are right....my "off time" with my kids is pretty much consumed by helping them keep their house clean, going through bills for insurance, visiting and keeping memories going for my kids with their PopPop.
Infected ~5/16/15-7/19/15
8-2-15    CD4=286; VL=43800; 15% WB Pos Test Confirmed (waiting for genotype to start Triumeq)
9-4-15    Started Triumeq thanks to the people on board encouraging me :)
9-21-15    CD4=570; VL 26; 30% 16 days on Triumeq….
10-27-15   CD4=522; VL=UNDETECTABLE!!!; 29%    7 wks, 4 days on Triumeq
1-28-16    CD4=479; VL=UD; 31% almost 5 mo on Triumeq
4-27-16    CD4=580; VL=UD; 32%
7-28-16    CD4=991; VL=UD; 38% almost 1 year on Triumeq
8-3-16    ONE YEAR DX
10-27-16    CD4=765; VL=UD; 39%
3-8-17   CD4=709; VL=27; 39%
7-13-17   CD4=942; VL=UD; 41%
10/12/17   CD4=626; VL=UD; 39%
1/21/18    CD4=650; VL=UD; 40%
4/26/18   CD4=893; VL=UD; 39%
8/9/18   CD4=858; VL=UD; 41%
12/27/18   CD4=841; VL=UD; 41%
4/24/19   CD4=751; VL=UD; 39%
8/27/19   CD4=719; VL=UD; 36%
10/31/19   CD4=746; VL=UD; 37%

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 10:13:39 am »

in the 9 Southern states, where the worst part of the epidemic resides (and is still climbing), 27% of those diagnosed with AIDS and 15% of those diagnosed with HIV die within 5 years. Stigma about HIV (often religious based stigma) causes people to not get tested, not get treatment, or not stay on treatment. This leads to a lot of PLWH dying from AIDS-related issues which either skews the stats or highlights the problem, depending on your point of view. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.