Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:03:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 354
Total: 354

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What do you think is the most "provactive and compelling" HIV storyline...  (Read 3994 times)

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
What do you think is the most "provactive and compelling" HIV storyline that has been on any TV series.  With all the buzz about Stella I thought it would be nice to do a little reflecting and just maybe producers from CSI will see this and realize there were shows many years ago that handled the situation much better.

I have to say I think one of the best storylines with an HIV+ character was Chad Lowe's role on "Life Goes On.  This was an ABC Sunday night series in around 1990-1992 and was first noticed for having an actor who had Down's Syndrome.  Lowe's character was introduced and became romantically involved with Becca several episodes before he revealed his HIV status.  The show covered many issues - parents wanting to kick the kid out of school, dating and sex, his dealing with the virus and his declining health. It wasn't just a 4 episode story but one that was incorporated into the show.  By far one of the best HIV storylines I have seen.

Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline bear60

Re: What do you think is the most "provactive and compelling" HIV storyline...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 05:23:24 pm »
Oh well hands down it was on QUEER AS FOLK....when the teenaged huster guy tested HIV positive and was adopted by two gay guys, one of whom was HIV positive.  Lots of very deep stuff in that one.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 06:27:47 pm »
Oh well hands down it was on QUEER AS FOLK....when the teenaged huster guy tested HIV positive and was adopted by two gay guys, one of whom was HIV positive.  Lots of very deep stuff in that one.

hmm. sounds heavy

the only one i've seen is in the daytime soap general hospital: robin scorpio and doctor patrick drake. this story line is still active. as you can see, i need a freeking job

edited to add:

hey queen akasha i just read your reply #4 and i think you're right about robin scorpio however i don't know. gh is one of those things that's "on" in the background while i do whatever, y'know, it's on but i'm not really watching except of course when lucky spencer or jason morgan is on the screen lol :D. i also like the story line of mortal enemies "drama queen sam" and "ric from hell" lol  
:D  anyhue, getting back to the hiv point of "realistic-or-not" from what i've seen of the gh story line it seems medically accurate e.g. patrick drake needing to take PEP. and if you think about it it's general HOSPITAL so they dam better be *super responsible* with their story line!!!  :D 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 08:55:27 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 07:09:06 pm »

There has been many story lines. the first one I remember, was an episode of designing Women, when they are asked to design a funeral for a man dying of aids.

You can read about that here : I think that was 1987---Not sure . very emotional episode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_All_the_Right_People#Kendall_and_AIDS

Another older episode/story line was when Rose ( from the Golden Girls) recieved a letter in the mail to come into the hospital for an HIV test. ( This show came out in FEB/1990) Apparently, they believed she had recieved  a blood transfusion Infected with the HIV virus. This was also a very emotional episode, and I thought was handled very well for that period of time ( for television).

It shows the emotional stress she and the rest of the women were going through, waiting for the results of her HIV test.

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 12:51:26 am »
hmm. sounds heavy

the only one i've seen is in the daytime soap general hospital: robin scorpio and doctor patrick drake. this story line is still active. as you can see, i need a freeking job

I was gonna mention that too but you beat me to it. Robin got infected from a past bf didn't she? GH was the first place I saw that started a storyline regarding hiv/aids. And that storyline with her getting infected started a few years ago, they brought her back then started another one with her and Patrick Drake. Funny that a soap would take the leap first.....
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 08:11:06 am »
I had trouble believing anything about that storyline on QAF.  I'd have to agree with woods... I really liked the Chad Lowe storying and felt it was handled sensitively.  I also think Chad Lowe is a really wonderful actor.  I saw an interview of him recently on Larry King live where he talked about that role being one of his favorites too.
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 12:37:28 pm »
What do you think is the most "provacative and compelling" HIV storyline....

Easy.......  MINE!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 01:39:04 pm »
What do you think is the most "provacative and compelling" HIV storyline....

Easy.......  MINE!

Damn, why didn't I think of that!
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline bear60

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 02:36:48 pm »
Thats too funny AC....and Puck....I know a lot of people who really did not like "Queer as Folk".  Only thing I can say is: try the British version. Its a lot shorter than the Three years worth of episodes in the American version. 
The hustler kid in the American version was a trick and a half, though....he turned out to be straight in the final episodes!!!!!  And here the 2 gay guys were trying to treat him like a princess.  It was so funny. He even had his first date at school and so on.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 06:27:02 pm »
I got really tired of being accused of being soooo much like Brian Kinney... I mean really.... he wasn't even that good looking.

cough cough cough
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.