Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:48:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 224
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Belly Fat  (Read 11797 times)

Offline wolfter

Belly Fat
« on: October 11, 2010, 12:44:32 am »
I'm getting disgusted by my growing gut.  I can't believe we finally have the drugs to keep us alive but also create issues that hit at the core of my vanity.  I'm steadily watching my belly get larger and actually started reducing calories.  I lost a couple of pounds and the belly grows...lol   

Other than traditional diet and exercise, has anybody discovered the magic bullet to fight this.  I have people suddenly tell me how great I'm looking yet I have the worst body image ever.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Fondoo

Re: Belly Fat
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 02:30:52 am »
I had a 45 pound gut before moving to Hawaii and discovering a yoga practice. I have gone from a 44 inch waist size to a 34 inch waist size not to mention massive improvements to life long ADD and depression issues.I believe an intense yoga practice can bring balance to our organ function better that any other tradition can.
   The Buddha recommends we don't attach to our bodies because they will grow old get sick and die no matter what. He recommends working on non-attatchment to find peace and happiness.It's diffidently a work in progress for me but I see wisdom in it. Now that my body looks da-kine my teeth have gone to pot lol it's always something.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 09:46:12 am »
      The deep visceral fat accumulation is  because of lipodystrophy  which is a side effect of the drugs not poor diet or exercise.  There is a huge difference between visceral fat and subcutaneous fat.  Subcutaneous fat can be affected by diet and exercise.
     I work out a lot and yes I've been practicing yoga for 15 years  (the total package not the McYoga crap)and I eat a very good diet and I still have a belly.

There are many posts in the Lipodystrophy forum you might want to review.

I assumed that being an LTS you might have already known this or encountered this, but hey, that's why we have theses forums.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 09:54:42 am by sharkdiver »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 10:09:08 am »
sharkie is absolutely correct -- fondoo, it's not helpful to pimp out your quasi-denialist yoga bullcrap to someone who is asking about lipogypertrophy/visceral fat issues caused by AVR's at a cellular level, namely how your body uses natural insulin which get stored around the liver and other internal belly organs.  For someone that watches their diet and exercises it's not an issue of pinch-an-inch subcutaneous fat.

For someone who first pranced on this board with a one-word reply of "Yoga!" and now finds them self with 3 t-cells due to a five year indulgence in [forbidden link deleted] I would tread carefully on certain topics here in Orthodoxy Land, now that you've decided to go back to popping poison pills.

edited to remove forbidden link
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 11:25:30 am by Ann »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 10:47:13 am »
Oddly, just a few days ago you were posting the opposite opinion about yourself. Why do you think differently now? have you lessened your daily activities/exercising recently?
According to the guidelines, I'm pathetically in the middle of the scale.  I'm 5'9" and weigh 145lbs.  I can't gain weight and have always been skinny.  Yet, if I gain 15 lbs i'd be toward the overweight side?
for myself, I am 5' 10" and for the 29 years after high school graduation I weighted in the same 130-135lb range (except for several years of AIDS and wasting that reduced me to closer to 120). Last Sept I moved back home to the Carolinas, quit riding my bicycle 4-5 days a week, and have gained 10 lbs that I can't seem to lose.  Of course, my lack of consistent exercise has allowed that 10 lbs to not only nicely flesh out my face; but also to, sadly, give me what I think is a tiny bit of gut. However I have been receiving compliements about looking better, so it's obviously a body image issue AND an exercise issue for me.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 11:26:13 am »
Miss P, I thought you knew better than to link to denialist sites. Consider yourself warned.  >:(
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 02:57:43 pm »
I didn't indicate that I've gained weight.  I've lost a couple of pounds thinking I'd reduce my belly fat.  But it appears to be getting larger.  I lost a lot of weight prior to being diagnosed with Crypto in March 2009.  I gained back weight pretty quickly which is why I assumed I had the larger belly.  But even with diet and exercise it still seems to be getting larger.

After thinking about this for a few minutes, I'm starting to remember why I checked out of this culture and avoided all the drama queen chaos.  I guess it was kinda ridiculous to think things have changed within our own community. 

If dismissing, ridiculing and jabbing each other is the productive aspect of this forum, then I don't belong.

Good Day!

Offline Fondoo

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 04:01:33 pm »
May my words today be soft and sweet for tomorrow I may be eating them.Miss Philicia I pray you find relief from your anger and hatred for those who disagree with you.Directing anger at someone is like picking up a hot coal and throwing it at them. You may hit the person but *you* will be far more burned.Today I will make prayers and offerings for you to find peace joy and abundance.
  "(the total package not the McYoga crap)" That's funny Sharkie and I am attracted to the ancient traditional practices as well.May we both achieve total and absolute enlightenment for the benefit of all beings.
   P.S. Miss Philicia I think your knowledge of the science and treatment of HIV is very impressive and it's very good of you to be here to try to help others
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 04:05:22 pm by Fondoo »

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 07:28:16 pm »
I didn't indicate that I've gained weight.  I've lost a couple of pounds thinking I'd reduce my belly fat.  But it appears to be getting larger.  I lost a lot of weight prior to being diagnosed with Crypto in March 2009.  I gained back weight pretty quickly which is why I assumed I had the larger belly.  But even with diet and exercise it still seems to be getting larger.

After thinking about this for a few minutes, I'm starting to remember why I checked out of this culture and avoided all the drama queen chaos.  I guess it was kinda ridiculous to think things have changed within our own community.  

If dismissing, ridiculing and jabbing each other is the productive aspect of this forum, then I don't belong.

Good Day!

EEK culture? what culture are you talking about, I"m not really sure?  

I think there is a lot of anger in the world around us now. Look at what's happening in the news. If you really don't want to be a part of this forum then you have every right to leave of course. But wasn't your last couple of paragraphs a bit of "high drama?" Sure we might blow up at each other once in awhile but most of the time we understand it might be something we are going through and we get over it.

The LTS here is full of people that I consider friends. Friends that have helped me get through some dark dark times and some have helped me when I think I couldn't have gone on any further.  

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 09:20:09 pm »
May my words today be soft and sweet for tomorrow I may be eating them.Miss Philicia I pray you find relief from your anger and hatred for those who disagree with you.Directing anger at someone is like picking up a hot coal and throwing it at them. You may hit the person but *you* will be far more burned.Today I will make prayers and offerings for you to find peace joy and abundance.
  "(the total package not the McYoga crap)" That's funny Sharkie and I am attracted to the ancient traditional practices as well.May we both achieve total and absolute enlightenment for the benefit of all beings.
   P.S. Miss Philicia I think your knowledge of the science and treatment of HIV is very impressive and it's very good of you to be here to try to help others

A true budhist would pray quietly seeking relief for his own anger and hatred, not passive aggressively pointing it out in others.

Offline Fondoo

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 09:54:37 pm »
A true budhist would pray quietly seeking relief for his own anger and hatred, not passive aggressively pointing it out in others.

Progress not perfection bro.The fact I seek to improve myself through practice makes me the real deal the fact that I am not yet enlightened is the reason for passive aggression and spiritual pride. But feel free to classify me as untrue or any other way you choose. Also for reminding me I may be getting to involved with this site.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 11:45:12 pm »
I appreciate the messages I've rec'd from several of you.  We all have our unique experiences but I don't understand the bitterness sometimes.  I want to to be surrounded by people with something positive to offer.  It's easy to hide behind anonymity with our avatars and such.  I was desperately searching for a place to find some comfort and support.

Maybe I need to redefine myself.  That's what I was reaching out for.  Just because I've been positive longer than I was negative means I know a lot.  In rural Ohio in those days, they gave you a diagnosis and sent you on your way.  Bill used to be my rock foundation.  We had a wonderful life, and I always assumed he'd be the one to take care of my final days instead of the other way around.  I lost him almost 5 years ago and I'm still not over it.  I made stupid decisions because of my despair.  After 15 years, I just couldn't imagine life without him. 

Again, I'd like to thank those who sent me personal messages of support. 

Offline dixieman

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 02:57:37 pm »
I understand what your going through... I have a 32 inch waist and a 35 inch gut...so I have bought the ab-circle and I'm trying to see if it will help? Other than that nothing seems to work... I have zero fat of my body except for a hard-belly... I hate the bloated felling... oh well life goes on...

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 04:00:52 pm »
This is one of the only forums that I think some of us feel safe enough to kind of 'take a jab' at another LTSer...as stated, we are all friends, or most of us are...we've been through a LOT, and a lot of it together.

Hope you stick around Wolfter...I get disheartened myself sometimes, but I keep checking in.   The things that bother me, I choose not to comment on  (sort of like flipping channels on TV)

HUGS,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline wolfter

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 11:38:19 pm »
I understand what you guys are saying.  Eventually I will feel comfortable enough to not take things so offensively.  These forums are no different than real life encounters.  If you attended a gathering and someone immediately started jabbing, I doubt you would want to continue a conversation.   ;D

But anyways, even at my age, I learned something new.  You don't go to redneck bars with your brother and drink beer and then come home and follow it up with white zin.  He looked so mortified when I asked the bartender if they served wine.....

Offline ss2011

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 10:01:33 pm »
I have the same problem. I go to the gym 3 times a week and do plenty of walking. Still have the belly. Afraid to take my clothes off at the gym or take a shower. My belly is not flab. Its hard and hollow. My doctor has tried to cut some meds out to help this, but nothing works. I have been told that they can not do liposuction on the belly. So i guess i got to deal with it. Know what you are going through.  :'(

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 11:17:37 pm »
ss2011  welcome to the forums,   please introduce yourself :-)

Offline Tymn2012

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 11:54:05 pm »
I carried around a 35-pound ball of visceral fat for nearly eleven years.  I worked out like crazy for months at a time, but the more exercise I got, the more the fat fought back; I was running an uphill battle.  About two years ago I decided to stop taking protease inhibitors, since that was thought to be the main culprit, at least in my case.  It has worked wonders!  I lost nearly all of it within a year.  The down side is all the muscle I've lost because the fat made me too tired to do anything after a while, so the net result is the same basic body-shape as when I had my gut, but, hey...I'm lighter.

I plan to get involved in a clinical trial involving Human Growth Hormone about nine, ten years ago, but I changed my mind; too many needles.
“The opportunity to live long enough to heal, if healing is possible, is often because they’ve had someone in their lives who have stayed with them.”

Offline Tymn2012

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 11:54:54 pm »
...I meant "planned."
“The opportunity to live long enough to heal, if healing is possible, is often because they’ve had someone in their lives who have stayed with them.”

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 07:13:59 am »
I carried around a 35-pound ball of visceral fat for nearly eleven years.  I worked out like crazy for months at a time, but the more exercise I got, the more the fat fought back; I was running an uphill battle.  About two years ago I decided to stop taking protease inhibitors, since that was thought to be the main culprit, at least in my case.  It has worked wonders!  I lost nearly all of it within a year.  The down side is all the muscle I've lost because the fat made me too tired to do anything after a while, so the net result is the same basic body-shape as when I had my gut, but, hey...I'm lighter.

I plan to get involved in a clinical trial involving Human Growth Hormone about nine, ten years ago, but I changed my mind; too many needles.

You stopped your meds?

Offline Tymn2012

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 08:06:42 am »
Oh, no, not at all.  I apologize...I left that part out...I started a new regimen of 3 meds, with no protease inhibitor.

Offline Tymn2012

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 08:13:55 am »
My current regimen consists of Epzicom, Viread (both NRTIs) and Isentress (Integrase Inhibitor).  I've been on this regimen for two years now with virtually no change in my VL and CD-4 counts.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 08:17:14 am »
Ah the wonderfull world off body image. Like many off us I suddenly lost an athletic body that in my vanity gave me and on occasion others pleasure. More importantly I lost strength, dexterity and balance which allowed me to hurtle around London on my beloved bike, hike all day,tennis ,surf  and enjoy the occasional look ,comment from others, and dancing , I do miss the dancing.

Initially this was due to HIV illness, however I did get comfort from realizing that just getting older would also bring these losses, Having always had a mixed group off friends I was aware long before HIV that I did not want to be an older Gay man desperately fighting the aging process always looking shiny with the moisturiser.

What also helped was realizing the huge pressure,especially within urban gay life to look a certain way and how when anyone lost the balance between developing the body over the mind then as usual it was only benefiting the greedy and never the individual.

So please do not get locked into seeing your worth from your assessment off your physical image, its not easy but as the women in my family say you NEVER EVER want to end up mutton dressed as lamb being all  fur coat and no knickers.
t

"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 08:23:06 am »
My current regimen consists of Epzicom, Viread (both NRTIs) and Isentress (Integrase Inhibitor).  I've been on this regimen for two years now with virtually no change in my VL and CD-4 counts.

How long have you been poz and when did you first start meds?

Offline Tymn2012

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 12:16:51 pm »
Well, I suppose I should introduce myself, huh?  (I was trying to find a place for this in the Profile section, but didn't see it):  I first tested HIV+ in 1988 (after several false-positive and -negative results), and was diagnosed "full-blown" in 1989.  I was on AZT until fall 1996, when I started taking a new med, Crixivan.  The rest is history...

Offline Tymn2012

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 12:23:49 pm »
I have a bit of info in my Facebook profile, under "Tim Mobley."

Offline wolfter

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 02:47:07 pm »
Thanks Theyer.  You brought a smile to me.  I guess sometimes I forget these things would occur even if I didn't have HIV.  I recently attended my 25th high school reunion and I can assure you, I wouldn't change bodies with the majority of them.  It probably is about culture.  In the 80's we didn't tend to care about what was inside the package, but rather how nicely it was wrapped.  It was so easy back then when you had a beautiful body, great smile, bright blue eyes and a cute coyness that melted others' hearts.  Now we have to rely on personalities, wit, charm and intelligence.  I guess I should be grateful to still be around with my belly, thinning hair, bifocals and expensive dental work.

Thanks.  Take care.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 02:53:01 pm »
Well, I suppose I should introduce myself, huh?  (I was trying to find a place for this in the Profile section, but didn't see it):  I first tested HIV+ in 1988 (after several false-positive and -negative results), and was diagnosed "full-blown" in 1989.  I was on AZT until fall 1996, when I started taking a new med, Crixivan.  The rest is history...

First, I'd like to say hello and welcome you.  It'll probably take a while to figure out how to use this forum.  It sure did with me.  Oh, the AZT days.  But it was the beginning of the drugs we now have. 

Offline Tymn2012

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2010, 02:55:40 pm »
Thanks, wolfer, and "Hello" back.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2010, 03:07:16 pm »
you got expensive dental work----------turning green-----
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline lipoenvy

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2010, 01:53:41 am »
This study may be of interest, although the article is written for the general public and not specifically for those of us dealing with HIV and lipodystrophy.  Don't be misled by the title -- it's about reduction of visceral fat, not body fat in general.

http://machineslikeus.com/news/eating-mostly-whole-grains-linked-lower-body-fat

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.