Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 08:51:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 137
Total: 138

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Trying to quit smoking AGAIN  (Read 7909 times)

Offline OutOfDarkness

Trying to quit smoking AGAIN
« on: June 13, 2008, 04:41:00 pm »
I have tried to quit smoking so many times that I pretty much know what to expect about feeling nicotine withdrawals.  It has been 3 months since I have had a cigarette and to help me get through the initial fits, I chewed the gum off and on for the first 4-6 weeks.  So here I am now and all this week my body is tightening up and I feel like I am going to the store any minute just so I can have one.  I am trying so hard not to do this, but why the HELL is my body feeling the withdrawal 3 months after I have quit????  Does anyone know?  I have been a 1/2 pack day smoker off and on for 8 years now and I have always heard the hardest time is in the beginning, but that just isn't true for me, here I am 3 months later and I thought it gets easier.  I'm freakin' out :o
2000 - seroconverted
2005 - cd4 350, VL 113,000
3/06 - started sustiva/truvada
3/08 - cd4 1,300 VL >50(undet.)

Offline bear60

Re: Trying to quit smoking AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »
Just guessing ........that you transferred your addiction of nicotine to the gum.
You will most likely need to get help to get off the addiction to the nicotine.  Some use Wellbutrin, some use Chantix.  I used Wellbutrin.....I had ZERO interest in cigarettes.
I'm sure others will chime in here.
Cigarettes/nicotine was the hardest thing to quit in my whole life. I quit using coke and weed and all that stuff with no problem but nicotine....holy shit.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 07:14:58 pm »
I started Champix (aka Chantix) on Thursday. I've smoked for 22 years.

I'm confident I'll join the Glorious 44%.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 07:29:48 pm »
I started Champix (aka Chantix) on Thursday. I've smoked for 22 years.

What kind of person starts smoking at the age of 10, Mary?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline OutOfDarkness

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 08:16:12 pm »
what kiind of medication is chantix?  I keep hearing the name pop up here and there.  i already take anti-depressants and really can't change them because they have been working for the most part.  thanks for the info and hang in there mtd!  did you really start at age 10? 

hey bear I hear you on the transferring the addiction, but I don't think that is it because I only chew like one piece once a week.  I think that maybe it might be that I have not been out for much walking and I was doing that whenever I started to feel this way, but it was too hot and humid, so I will try to get back to walking tomorrow before it gets nasty weather again. 

I am still freakin out and just right on the brink of stopping at the store, man.
2000 - seroconverted

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 09:58:46 pm »

When I was 10 there would be free cigarette samples sent in the mail. Whoever got the mail, got the cigarettes.
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 11:27:34 pm »

My kinda person, Baldy. The mean streets of Boolaboolabongbong make a body old before his years.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 01:00:56 am »
One had to live in a trailer park to smoke at the age of 10 in Leesburg.  It's still completely frowned upon in our country club.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 01:12:45 am »
A trailer park? Luxury! I grew up in sack under a railway bridge.

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 07:40:06 am »
A trailer park? Luxury! I grew up in sack under a railway bridge.

MtD

Sheer luxury....At least you had a roof over you head.

OUT..Iwould have thought after 3 months the cravings would have gone, try looking for a trigger, i.e. are the craving happening at a certain time, or when you do something you associate with smoking in the past...they say to drink lots of water when the craving starts..have you tried that?

It's a hard habit to give up, but keep it up if you can, you have come this far and personally I think you are doing great going cold turkey..I could never do that, I gave up for 2 years in 2000 but with the aid of Zyban, it worked really well for me, then a few months after I was diagnosed...stress, yada, yada...I started smoking again...and have regreted it ever since..but one day I will do it again.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 09:51:47 am »
I have been a 1/2 pack day smoker off and on for 8 years now and I have always heard the hardest time is in the beginning, but that just isn't true for me, here I am 3 months later and I thought it gets easier.  I'm freakin' out :o

I can only speak from my own experience (of course), but I quit cold turkey in 1991 and lasted 12 years. I must admit however that the desire to smoke never left me entirely. I started again when I was going through a break up with an ex, had a major HIV attack and started on meds. In short, it was a hellish time in my life. I have tried repeatedly to quit again, using every available assist known to mankind but without success.

At first, Champix seemed like a wonder drug, but after three weeks I became seriously depressed and was contemplating suicide. Others seem to have no problem using it. Everybody's different.  Maybe one day I will achieve being smoke free again, but for now I just go on insanely giving into the addiction. Some say that Nicotine is as hard as Heroin to quit using. Never tried Heroin but I can believe it.

Wishing you every success with your efforts to stay stopped.

Daniel

BTW, I started smoking at age 13. A friend used to steal cigarettes from his older sister then we'd go and light them up behind a nearby church, hacking and coughing until we nearly puked. Were we ever cool!  ;)
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline somdamon

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 12:22:04 pm »
Hey Outofdarkness,

I totally relate to how you are feeling. I have quit so many times I have become an expert at it! Currently I am on day 12 without a cigarette and feel confident it will be permanently gone from my life this time. A recently discovered problem with clogged arteries (contributed to by my smoking habit) has scared me into being a nonsmoker. I slammed into quitting cold turkey and feel surprisingly good. I believe if you have a solid commitment to quitting - it really helps.

My longest successful life as a nonsmoker has been 3 years (also quit cold turkey). That was about 7 years ago. I let my guard down and started playing with smoking during social situations (VERY BAD MOVE) and it lead me back to my love affair with cigarettes. I know better now!

I have been a heavy smoker for 32 years and know very well how difficult quitting and staying quit can be. I also know it can be done. It has been helpful to me to change other things in my life at the same time so the void of not smoking isn't so obvious to me. For example: Driving different routes, eating different foods, trying new things in general, change my morning routine around, regular meditation, etc.

Know you can do this and that your life will be a much richer experience by letting it go. Love yourself enough to succeed!! It does get easier!!!  ;D

Damon

All you have been waiting for is your own permission.
--  Emmanuel (Pat Rodegast)

Offline OutOfDarkness

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 09:32:30 pm »
Hey all!

Well, today was a different day alright - thanks for your help and suggestions.  I still thought about buying some but it wasn't as bad as yesterday and last night.  Jan, I can't figure out if there is are particular things that set off this craving, I am sure maybe some stress but hell, I have to deal with that everyday.  I think it really is throwing me for a loop because I havn't craved like that since I quit the last time, this time was less and less cravings and less and less gum.  So just when ya think you got under control it sneaks up on you I guess.  Something new I have learned this time around with quitting.  Just hope I can keep holding out and hope the cravings get under control.

Thanks again y'all!
2000 - seroconverted

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 11:09:41 pm »
Last time I quit I underwent hypnosis -- seriously, it worked for 2.5 years which was better than my two cold turkey attempts. 

So it's been 7 years since my last cessation attempt.  Didn't Coco Channel make it to 87 smoking?  What's all the worry?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 11:12:17 pm by philly267 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 05:53:39 am »

At first, Champix seemed like a wonder drug, but after three weeks I became seriously depressed and was contemplating suicide. Others seem to have no problem using it.

That happened to me too.

Some say that Nicotine is as hard as Heroin to quit using. Never tried Heroin but I can believe it.

I found quitting heroin to be like child's play compared to quitting nicotine.

Last time I quit I underwent hypnosis -- seriously, it worked for 2.5 years which was better than my two cold turkey attempts. 

So it's been 7 years since my last cessation attempt.  Didn't Coco Channel make it to 87 smoking?  What's all the worry?

The other day I discovered a hypnotherapy clinic right around the corner from me - and the first session is free. I'm going to give them a try and hopefully I can afford the additional sessions I'll need. (three, I think) 

What's all the worry? For me, aside from the obvious health issues, it's MONEY. With the way food prices are skyrocketing here on the Rock, I'll soon have to choose between ciggies and food. Such is my addiction to nicotine that the ciggies will probably win.  :-X

Hang in there Out, good luck with fighting the demon-nicotine cravings. I totally empathise!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 08:55:05 am »
I have two bottles of Chantix in one of my cupboards.  When I started taking it, things were fine.  Then, after a couple weeks, I started having severe anxiety attacks.  And I don't fare well with anxiety attacks.  But good luck to whoever is having success using this.

The big deal to me is, my father died with COPD, and my mum with lung cancer (from 2nd hand smoke).  So my chances aren't that great.   And, like Ann said, the cost is crippling anymore.  I know people who can smoke 4 or 5 cigarettes a day, or even 1/2 pack.  I ain't one of those people.  I smoke like a fiend.  And that adds up quick.

Out, I wish you success in your quitting.  It's been three months, so I'd say you have an extremely good shot at this.  Hang in there.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 11:40:20 am »
See, that's my fear about Chantix.  I basically live with a low-grade panic attack coursing through my body daily, which I've adjusted to over time but it can spike easily.  As in just hearing a loud noise will cause me to jump, etc.

I guess I could try it though and see -- if I do have to stop it once I stop how long does it take to exit one's body?

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 12:25:30 pm »
I guess I could try it though and see -- if I do have to stop it once I stop how long does it take to exit one's body?

I think when I quit using Chantix, the panic stopped in only 3 or 4 days, but I can't clearly remember.  I have a problem with daily anxiety also.  The Chantix sure didn't help.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 12:48:02 pm »
Yeah, but if I don't binge on my monthly Klonnie and take it as directed I should be OK with this.

::ponders::

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 01:01:37 pm »
Yeah, but if I don't binge on my monthly Klonnie and take it as directed I should be OK with this.

::ponders::

I take Zyprexa for anxiety.  I used to take massive doses of Valium.  Klonopin never worked for me. 

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2008, 04:13:12 pm »

As I recall Philly, I stepped the dosages back down and was off it within 3 or 4 days.

"If you are going to be taken off of Chantix, your healthcare provider may slowly wean you off the drug to minimize your chances of developing symptoms of Chantix withdrawal, although this is usually not necessary (nor is it recommended by the manufacturer). If severe withdrawal symptoms do occur, your healthcare provider may return you to your previous Chantix dosage and then wean you off even more slowly."

Limiting Chantix Withdrawal

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2008, 05:40:34 pm »
I just stopped Chantix; there was no weaning.  And I experienced no withdrawal from it.  I didn't even know someone could have withdrawal from Chantix.  (of course, it could be because I've been through so many "withdrawals" in the past I just didn't notice it).

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 03:41:47 pm »
Hey Out,

Someone close to me had a particularly difficult time quitting smoking and has an anniversary date for quiting 8 years ago.  He sent me this to help www.quit.net  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 04:08:32 pm »
After decades of low to middling level smoking I quit for real about three years ago. Just got tired of the discomfort of all the coughing. Bummed a cigarette off of a friend about 6 months ago just to see what it was like. Couldn't even get through it and stomped it out. Damn!

I do miss being able having a reason to use an elegant, silver Porsche lighter I still have. I suppose I could use it to start fires but it just wouldn't be the same as lighting up a delicious Galouises Blonde.

It doesn't bother me when others are smoking. I kinda like sniffing 'em. You should excuse the expression...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 04:10:43 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline joemutt

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 06:45:19 pm »
Smoked from 14 until 40, it took me a good two years to stop
for good , but now it s five years without cigarettes. I didnt use anything
just stop again and again.

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 01:37:46 pm »
Hi,

trying to stop smoking as well.

First attempt has failed (Zyban).
Second as well (nothing)

Then I realize that I am unable to stop smoking because I do not have the real desire to do so.

Finally, I decided to change everything (food, sport, cigarette, and so).

Since few days, I'm taking nicorette patches.
With relaxation and desire, I have reduced my consumption of cigarette by 50% (2 packets > 1 packet).
To do so, I reduce all by 2:
During a pause, I was smoking 2 cigarettes.
Usually, I'm smoking 40% of the cigarette the day, the remaining after the work till the bed time.
When I want to smoke, I usually remove the patches. After few put-remove-put, it is no more adhering (putting it on an area without hair). So I change it.

I am trying progressively now to reduce by 2 my consumption of cigarette.
The side effect of the patch is a higher heart beat rate.

When it happen, I remove the patch, lay down, and after 10 min, it's fine.

What I have learn from this journey, it's that being relaxed is not something we must try to be without effort.
For e.g, if I take a polar to monitor my heart beat rate, I will get let say 90bpm (stand up).
Even if I lay down, the bpm will typically reach 80 after 10 min.

Now if I try to decrease the bpm by breathing better, and "forcing" me to relax, the bpm can drop by 10% in just few second.

About quit smoiking:
For those who succeed, did your CD4 increase ?

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 03:48:38 pm »
Hi,

For those who succeed, did your CD4 increase ?[/b]

I had my labs done at 30 days and will be able to answer your question on the 26th after follow-up meeting with my doctor.  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline OutOfDarkness

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 12:05:18 pm »
Sorry it has been a long time since I checked in with the forum.  Thank you for your suggestions and support!  I have been trying to keep up with life in general and the kids are out of school now so I may not be able to check in as often as I would like, especially when the kids like to use the computer more often now. 

Anyway, just to update, I am still NOT smoking and made it through that really difficult withdrawal time :o.  The last times I quit I would not have made it and I would be smoking again.  I think I figured out a reason why the withdrawals came back so sharply.  I started to take an OCD medication that is supposed to be increased little by little and paxil which needs to be decreased little by little.  I have not made the changes because my doc and I have been playing phone tag.  I just tried her again so we can get this thing going.  Even though I made it through the last really bad withdrawal, I don't know if I will be able to do it again without it really imposing upon my life, meaning relationships and  being able to focus on my education and just taking care of things in general.  I may end up in bed for days and I can't bear the thought of that right now. 

From all of the responses I have read there really seems to be such different stories of how this addiction has affected all of us, although there are some similarities as well.  But your replies have helped keep me distracted.  Thank you all. 

How are you all still succeeding or failing?? 
2000 - seroconverted

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 12:30:46 pm »

[/quote]

I just quit a few months ago , although I have cheated a few times and smoked one or two ciigs.
Every time I have quit I have had a cd4 increase , this time from 380 to over 500 .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 04:15:39 pm »

When I quit smoking last year, my CD4 remained the same (around 600).  They never went up.  And, now that I'm smoking again, they never have gone down.

Offline OutOfDarkness

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 06:04:37 pm »
I have never compared my counts to when I quit, that's a good question though. 

I  just started meds about 3 years ago and I have tried to quit many times during this time.  My cd4 has always increased over this time except when I took a break because of stomach problems, then it started to go down, and I don't suggest taking a break without talking to your doctor, which is what I did, because I knew that they would try to talk me out of it and I guess I was sick of being in the bathroom all the time and needed a break.  It turns out I was lucky when I went back on and my counts shifted for the better again.  I take truvada/sustiva and my cd4 is over 1200 and my viral load is undetectable.   When I started meds my cd4 was about 350 and the trend was that my vl was increasing over time and it peaked at about 110,000 for a couple of months and my cd4 was continuing to fall and I was anxious about it so I started meds in 2005.  I have quit smoking probably about 15 times so I have not been able to compare the counts.  That's a really good sign though, keep trying to quit and hang in there!
2000 - seroconverted

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.