Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:48:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 346
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: State and Local discriminations for Gays w/Hiv or Aids?  (Read 4734 times)

Offline tony g

State and Local discriminations for Gays w/Hiv or Aids?
« on: December 16, 2012, 12:46:41 pm »
Has anyone but me, been discriminated by church's or other community based groups?  In the Shenandoah Valley, Va. discriminations are rampid! Boy Scout, Dare, community watch groups have me on their-Persons of interest List"  This means they are looking at me as a sex offender, follow me and continuously spread the word about my HIV status-especially faith based org.s

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
Re: State and Local discriminations for Gays w/Hiv or Aids?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 12:57:25 pm »
Rampid?

"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 01:00:44 pm »
Rampant?

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 01:58:19 pm »
Come on dudes i thought I was the tight-assed school marm. Is that anyway to welcome someone on their first post?

Tony g welcome to the forum.  I have lived in cities too many years to say I can relate.  But I did want to say, its extremely odd that Boy Scouts should know about your HIV status. And odd they keep a list of people.  Also...  churches?  They spread news between each other about who has HIV?  For what purpose? 

If all these orgs are so actively against you, that must be hideous!!! 

What about groups and organisations that might not be so brain-dead and hateful?  Are you member or participate in anything that provides positive support and self-esteem.  Nobody should be made to feel like a pariah.  Not very christian, to say the least.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 02:06:25 pm »
You're correct.  I try to think out my responses before jumping in so I shouldn't have posted anything.

Welcome Tony, hopefully you'll receive some well thought out responses.

Wolfie

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 09:04:23 am »
Tony, if you are willing to go more public about this discrimination, consider contacting the major LGBT rights organizations about your situation as well as local press in your area.

Not an easy situation but if you are being abused in this manner you obviously deserve support. HIV is not a crime but criminalization of it is.
Andy Velez

Offline zach

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 11:21:32 am »
seriously, grammar nazi? and yall wonder why you scare off so many new members. all the cries of "what cabal?" are pretty empty, the names in this forum don't change.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 11:30:46 am »
seriously, grammar nazi? and yall wonder why you scare off so many new members. all the cries of "what cabal?" are pretty empty, the names in this forum don't change.

Did you have anything important to add, or are you simply stirring the pot?  I already acknowledged my error and corrected it.  Have you even welcomed the new member before spewing your disregard for other members?

Offline zach

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 11:35:40 am »
yes, no, and yes. in that order. and thanks for once again shushing me, you illustrate my point quite well.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:47:27 pm by zach »

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 01:29:37 pm »
the ramparts we watched?  :P
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 02:58:52 pm »
Welcome to the forums.  I hope this finds you well.  I don't believe I've been discriminated against, but only a couple people know.  I know in small towns, it is virtually impossible to keep anything secret.  And, you shouldn't keep things secret, if you don't want. 

About the sex offender issue-- There are many who equal gay with being after their little boys.  Or, if you have the virus, then you must be some perv.  They will gladly let a straight man (even a stranger) around their kids, but are cautious with gay men.  It is so ridiculous.  And, the Boy Scouts and churches should be the last people to accuse or suggest someone is a sex offender. 

Anyway, nice meeting you and stay in touch. 

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 03:46:14 pm »
Hi Tony, sorry you're encountering bad things. I grew up only about 20 miles from the northern part of the SV valley. I'm quite sure that there's an ASO (AIDS Services Organization) located in Charlottesville, which of course is about the only liberal part of that region. Perhaps they can be helpful if that's a reasonable drive for you.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 12:59:01 pm »
yes, no, and yes. in that order. and thanks for once again shushing me, you illustrate my point quite well.

Not sure what your point illustrates.  I'm not shushing you in the least, I simply inquired why you felt the need to criticize after I already acknowledged an error in judgment and corrected it.  Once again indicates that I've done this before.  Can you provide a link where I've done that?  If it's simply a personality conflict, fine, call it what it is.  Cabal member or not, I will call things as I see them and am prepared to answer in the best way possible.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 07:59:21 pm »
Are you a cabal member, wolfie? When did that happen?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 08:08:50 pm »
Are you a cabal member, wolfie? When did that happen?

That's what was written before the "edit".  When the hell do I get my pin and there better not be membership fees; I've long earned it. 8) 

To the OP, sorry we veered off in your thread. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.