Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:49:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773209
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 489
Total: 491

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: I really am so stupid  (Read 9106 times)

Offline ImSoStupid

I really am so stupid
« on: April 28, 2007, 07:10:40 pm »
So, I'm the receptive partner in a gay relationship.  We've known each other for about 7-8 months, and have been 'dating' (more like going out, coming home, watching tv and having safe sex) for about a month and a few weeks or so.  Well, last night he was over and we discussed who we had slept with and when our last test was and how it went, then went on to have sex.  It got kinda rough, and when it was all finished he pulled out and swore.  I looked and the condom had completely ripped and emptied into me when he pulled out.  I freaked out and he assured me he was negative, and he cares about me, and wouldn't lie about it, and that since his last test he's only slept with 2 guys, me being one of them, and every time was protected.  There wasn't really anything I could do about it then, so this morning when he left for work I told him that I wanted to talk to him later, and he said he was going to call me.  Basically, I'm going to tell him that I want him to go to the ER with me tonight (or at the latest tomorrow morning) to get a rapid HIV test, and if either of us turns up positive for the other to go on PEP.  We know each other's pasts and for the past 6 weeks we've only slept with each other and before that we had been with our boyfriends and only slept with them for the 2-3 months before that...so the tests should be pretty accurate if every encounter since december has been protected and from only each other and one other person. 

Anyway, I know what I have to do, my phone died so I had to recharge it to get his number, he wasn't at his work when I stopped by.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Broken Condom...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 09:02:52 pm »
You have a basic misunderstanding about what a Rapid HIV test can do. Yes, it can give you an answer more quickly than an ELISA. But it requires the same waiting time as any standard HIV test to get an accurate result.

If PEP is going to be started it has to be at not more than 48-72 hours after a possible exposure. The sooner the better to maximize its effectiveness. When someone does PEP, then it's necessary to wait 13 weeks from the 28 days of PEP to get a final, reliable negative result.

Right now you're clearly very anxious, which is understandable. I suggest you go to your doctor or a hospital, explain the circumstances and get a medical opinion about whether to go on PEP or not. Your bf as the insertive partner would be at less risk for transmission, but less risk is not the same as no risk. If he wants to go as well that's cool. But whether he does or not you should handle your own health matters.

I know you are reporting to the best of your ability. Assuming everything you have said is accurate then I expect you will come out of this ok.

Also, just do some good deep and slow breathing when you're tensing up. It really helps with calming down. Doing that will be helpful to you.

Keep us posted.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline ImSoStupid

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 01:59:07 am »
I know...I'm going tomorrow morning to the ER to start PEP.  Before I was on PEP for a needle stick and was put on Truvada for a month, it was horrible.  I had the worst diarrhea and vomiting spells, I couldn't eat for the entire month.  Are there any other medications they could put me on that would have less severe side effects?  I know for a fact that there was a possible exposure, and the thing I was thinking about the test was that if he had a test 6 months ago, and it was negative, and he's only been with me and the other guy in the past 6 months, if he comes up negative this time on a test (wicking or elisa) chances are he really is negative...this is assuming he's telling the truth about who he's been with and about always being safe.  I know I still should do the PEP deep down, I'm just dreading it because of the side effects.  Chances are he's negative, and chances are even if he wasn't I wouldn't contract anything if I go on PEP, but I suppose I can just hope for the best, and know that I have statistics on my side.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 03:15:08 am »
ImSoStupid, go read the lesson section. PEP is not 100% it's close to 85%. Statistics have never given anyone their results. 

Offline ImSoStupid

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 10:10:09 am »
I'm fully aware of the usefulness of statistics--hence the part where I wrote "chances are."

Offline ImSoStupid

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 08:12:50 am »
The ER put me on combivir 1 tab bid, and kaletra 2 tab bid.  They don't want me to stay on it for the full month, but want the source tested ASAP, which is pretty much the needle stick protocol.  He's being kind of stupid about it though, and it's irritating--he keeps arguing with me about testing, and saying that he's never heard of PEP or why testing now is a good idea. 

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 02:42:17 pm »
Trust issues in a new relationship come up all the time. It's natural that you want him to test as you are currently taking PEP and could choose to discontinue it should he test negative.

But your reaction to this bodes poorly for the future of your relationship. If he is unwilling to get tested and/or feels you are accusing him of intentional falsehood don't be surprised if he steps back.

Brent
(Who understands trust is the first piece of a successful relationship)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline ImSoStupid

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 01:00:29 am »
Yeah...I'm still on it, and he still hasn't gotten tested.  I was going to get tested even if I didn't go on PEP just so he'd know I didn't give him anything, and I did at the first opportunity.  I guess that's the difference between him and me...he said he was just happy that I was so worried about it so that he figured that if I was like that with someone I was dating that I'd be more paranoid with a random person...to which I replied, that he doesn't know, and who knows if a condom broke before or if I swallowed with someone, or if my ex gave me something (even though we always used condoms) or if I'm lying or whatever.  But since he knows it's important to me and hasn't gotten tested still, I think it's over anyway.

Anyway, I'm on the Kaletra and Combivir, and I'm sleeping like 12 hours/day...is that normal?  I go to bed around 1, get up at 8ish, take some pills, watch some TV, nap on the couch from noon to 5 or so, then in bed by midnight/1 AM.  I'm always tired.  I'm used to operating on 5-7 hours/night, so this is kinda weird to me.  I haven't vomited yet, so that's good.  I've felt like it many times though  :(

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 08:54:29 am »
I'm,

The side effects you are experiencing from your combo are common. Have a look through the Drugs section of this website for more information on the meds you are taking. Also have a look at the Dealing with Side Effects
portion of the Lessons.

Hang in there!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ImSoStupid

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 03:54:33 pm »
The bad side effects are starting finally...my doctor and I both thought they would  :'(.  For the past few days I'm been throwing up in the mornings, and for the past 12 or so hours I've been having really bad cramping and watery stool.  Is there anything I can do to make it less severe?  I don't have a fever or anything, so that's good though.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 08:18:38 pm »
Have you read the DEALING WITH SIDE EFFECTS which Ann mentions in her previous response?

Additionally I suggest you call your doctor. Your symptoms are not unusual although that maybe small comfort when you are going through them.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline ImSoStupid

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 10:48:14 am »
Thanks...I think I'm blind or something, I didn't even notice the 2nd link there.  I know that this is normal, but I just feel run down.  I glad that I'm (hopefully) half way done taking the meds. 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 11:29:14 am »
Yes, well your anxiety is probably running along there at a steady hum which is why you may have missed that link.

Stay as productively busy as you can during your waiting time and the time will pass more quickly than you may imagine possible right now.

Given the specifics you have reported of your situation I think the odds are in your favor that when you get around to testing the result will be a happy negative.
Andy Velez

Offline ImSoStupid

I really am so stupid
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 05:50:46 am »
Tonight was the last night of gay pride weekend and I met this guy and wound up back at his place (after asking his serostatus, which he said was negative), and we were fooling around and I was only the insertive oral partner which was my plan, then he asked me to rub myself on him, which I did...actually he kinda did since he was on top of me, then he pushed himself onto me.  Since I've had prior PEP experience I don't ever want to do it again, so I shoved him off of me and asked he'd do if I was positive.  He said he didn't care because he was already positive, and we got into a fight and he said we were getting along and if he was truthful I wouldn't go home with him...but now I'm scared crapless.  it was only a few seconds if that, as in he just sat on it and I got him off of me, then about 2 minutes later I was washed and on my way home.  I don't know what to do...well I do, but am afraid of doing it.  I know I need to go on PEP again, but I just got off of it because of a broken condom with a guy that I've since stopped dating.  I'm trying to reason with myself that I can live with a <.065% risk, but I really can't.  I'd rather be sick for a month again than for the rest of my life.  I can't believe that I'm so stupid that I'd go home with someone I don't know and then have this happen.  I'm sure I've done much riskier things in the past considering I really don't like being the insertive partner, but this is just awful.  Is there anything wrong medically, besides the side effects, of going on PEP in such rapid succession?  Why am I so stupid?  Any suggestions as to what I should do (besides stopping being a big slut.)  I know a confirmed exposure calls for PEP but I just don't want to go through a month of that again.  But I guess it's better than a chronic disease.  I just feel stupid going to my doctor tomorrow and saying "guess what...it happened again."  I guess she knows that I'm kind of promiscuous and gay, but I didn't think this would happen by planning on just getting oral. 

But is there anything wrong with going on PEP twice over the course of 3 months?  I know my behavior needs to change, and most people wouldn't even think anything about this incident since it's so low risk, but I'm not most people and I'm freaking out over it.  I just started feeling better from the last round of PEP, and now I guess I'll be back on it :(.  It's not bad luck, it's bad choices.    I just feel stupid because I thought I was being safe and now this happened.  Like last time I had actual full on intercourse wehn the condom broke...thought I was being safe then too.  Why am I so dumb???

Offline RapidRod

Re: I really am so stupid
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 06:01:44 am »
That's something you are going to have to work out for yourself. I doubt that your doctor will put you on PEP again. You'll have to talk with her and find out. You do understand that PEP is only 85% effective?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 06:06:22 am »
Stupid,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

It's totally your call, in tandem with your doctor, whether or not you go back on PEP - and as you yourself mention, it's not totally necessary for this brief incident. You do need to act quickly if you are going to take it, because it needs to be started no more than 72 hours afterwards.

There is no reason, medical or otherwise, why you should not be able to take PEP again. It goes without saying, however, that PEP is not something to be used more than absolutely necessary.

I hope you have learned a valuable lesson - there is no point in asking a person their serostatus. Not only do some people lie, but many others don't actually know their true status to begin with. You need to use condoms until you have tested together in the context of a securely monogamous relationship.

You will also need to be very clear about the fact that you will not allow penetration to take place unless a condom is worn.

Regardless of PEP, I expect you to come out of this situation ok. Hang in there.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ImSoStupid

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 06:17:22 am »
I do understand that but I think that .065% is a lot worse than .00975%.  I'll ask what she thinks.  I'm just scared and can't sleep.  I just feel stupid that I took this guy's word, and wasn't planning on doing anything remotely risky, then this happened.  Frottage is one thing, unprotected anal intercourse is a completely different thing.  I don't know why this guy lied to me, and who cares if I didn't go home with him why would you lie about something like that then do that to someone????  I can kind of understand if he lied then didn't do something harmful and stupid, but this is awful.  Hopefully I come out of this fine and learn from it to not go home with random people.  I certainly hope my doctor puts me on PEP again, even though i know the risk is nearly non-existent.  I just wonder about myself that if the guy didn't say he was positive would I be as worried.  I know this is the wrong forum to discuss that in, but it still makes me wonder.  I'm certain that I've had riskier situations than this (guys have pulled their condoms off and didn't tell me until a few minutes later and I've swallowed a few times before) and the HIV counselor told me not to worry about it, but since the guy lied then said he was positive I'm more freaked out.  I'm just worried, and I kind of do want to go on another regiment of PEP the more I think about it...a low risk is definitely not a non-risk, and even if PEP isn't 100% it's a lot better than 0% with nothing.

Thanks Ann, I don't know why, but your posts always seem to make me feel better.  I'm going to talk to my doctor tomorrow and see what she thinks.  I have an appointment this week, but I want to get her input before that time and start as soon as possible if she thinks it to be prudent.  I know that condoms should be used and always do use them when having intercourse.  I just thought this guy wanted frottage and that's what I was going for, but I was laying down and he was on top of me...um...frottaging until he pushed it in.  It was so brief, but now so scary.  I know from experience the importance of condoms and that no one really know if they're negative unless they've just been tested and in a monogamous (verified) relationship or abstinent for the past 6 or so months...but I wasn't thinking this was going to become this, and the last time the condom must have had air in it or something because it literally exploded, into multiple pieces.  I know if I go back on PEP I'll be sick for the month, but I'm wondering if it'll give me the peace of mind to let me be productive during that time rather than fixating on this exposure and hating myself for it.  I still can't get over the fact that I probably wouldn't be as upset if I didn't know the guy's serostatus...I always thought I treated everyone the same when it comes to condoms, but when I think about how I probably wouldn't be so mad if the guy didn't know his status it disappoints me in myself.  I'm pretty sure (99.35% sure) I'll be negative, and the brief nature of the exposure adds to that, but I think if I take the PEP I'll still feel better about the situation.  And next time I get in a situation like this (which I hope is never) I'll be sure the person knows there's to be no penetration.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 06:31:03 am by ImSoStupid »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 06:31:36 am »
Hopefully I come out of this fine and learn from it to not go home with random people.

Stupid,

It's not so much the going home with random people, it's more about making it plain to them that you are hiv negative and intend on staying that way through the use of condoms. It's about not relying on someone's word, but instead relying on condoms.

I'm a little confused though -

he was on top of me, then he pushed himself onto me.

This sounds like he penetrated you.

it was only a few seconds if that, as in he just sat on it and I got him off of me,

But this sounds like YOU penetrated HIM.

If this is the case and it was your penis inside of him and not the other way around, I'd say that PEP is definitely NOT warranted for this brief insertion. The insertive partner is at less risk - and especially during such a brief incident. I would absolutely NOT recommend PEP for you if you were the insertive partner.

I doubt very much whether your doctor would prescribe PEP under these circumstances. You don't need it.

I fully expect you to come out of this hiv negative, PEP or no PEP.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2007, 06:34:42 am »
Oh, and just to clarify something...

If you'd continued on, being the insertive partner, and had a full session of unprotected intercourse, then PEP may have been warranted. Even then I would fully expect you to come out of this ok.

But for such a brief incident? No PEP is needed.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ImSoStupid

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 06:41:03 am »
thank you.  I was the insertive partner...unintentionally.  He was pretty much straddling me and rubbing me on him (which is safe...correct) then sat on it and pushed it in him.  Sorry this is so graphic.  Oh, and next time I will be quite intent on letting the person know whether or not they say they're negative that I want to stay that way so if they plan on any penetration  that we have to use a condom.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 07:02:03 am »
Stupid,

Yes, the rubbing (aka frottage) is not a risk for infection.

And once again, you do not need PEP over this incident. As the insertive partner in such a brief incident, it's highly unlikely that you would have become infected. You're more likely to walk outside your door today and find a winning lottery ticket worth millions lying in the gutter. Seriously!

Please do make sure that you always use condoms from here on out - and also make sure that you have regular, routine sexual health care check ups.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2007, 07:18:03 am »
He Lied? No you lied to yourself believing him. I take it you haven't been gay long.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2007, 09:00:33 am »
I just want to insert (no pun intended) a thought here. YOU are the guy who's responsible for your health. It's great when you have a responsible partner too but ultimately the bottom line is YOU are the one who has to consistently act in ways that protect your health.

I can't emphasize this strongly enough. Whether through duplicity, indifference or not being well informed, people infect other people. So it's yourself you must depend upon to stay awake to risky business.

I say this because I would like you to not become another OOOPS statistic who ends up infected, which I have seen happen again and again through the years.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline ImSoStupid

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2007, 11:10:07 am »
I know I'm responsible for my own health, I just feel stupid and worried.  I know that drinking and sex go together just about as well as drinking and driving, and hopefully this will all turn out alright (I'm pretty sure it will) and get me to stop going out and putting myself in these situations. 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2007, 02:39:57 pm »
For what it's worth, I do expect you to come out of this ok.

During your waiting period I recommend staying productively busy with other things. You might be amazed at how it helps the time to pass.

Keep us posted.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.