Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:17:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 159
Total: 159

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is there life insurance for hiv+ people in usa  (Read 6931 times)

Offline texasangel071184

• me and toedoe
Is there life insurance for hiv+ people in usa
« on: December 25, 2009, 08:18:25 am »
me and my partner are wondering if there is life insurance for guys like us we  are have alot of trouble here in the usa find any.
I live, I breath, I defie, I succeed!
who are you to tell me i can't, I can and I will!

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
Re: Is there life insurance for hiv+ people in usa
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 11:01:34 am »
me and my partner are wondering if there is life insurance for guys like us we  are have alot of trouble here in the usa find any.

short answer: no.

long answer: there might still be as few incredibly small coverages available at outrageous premiums. more like burial policies (a poor product, anyway). if you lie on an application the companies have 2 years to discover and cancel your policy. expect to give samples.  ::)

back to short answer: the way for poz to legitimately get life insurance is by getting employment where it is part of employee compensation---obviously you are enrolled automatically in the pool. the USPS used to provide $100k insurance. some employers provide much less/none, and a few better. though it is unusual (according to HR people), employees leaving employment have the legal right to "self-pay" premiums and retain coverages.

-Steven (aka megasept0
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 11:12:35 am by megasept »

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 01:23:23 pm »
I realize that everyone has their own opinion of why they need "LIFE INSURANCE".   That said, its my opinion that there are many alternatives to life insurance. It is possible to:
1. INVEST money ( in stock, or mutual funds or whatever).  This way you save money and it grows in value.
2. PREPAY for your funeral or cremation.  Some plans allow you to pay monthly. I chose the Pennsylvania Cremation Society which is relatively low cost and I prepaid in 1995.  So, even if costs go up I am cremated.  Disposal of ashes is another story.
If you are a gay couple, having reciprocal wills is NECESSARY.  Leave everything to the surviving partner.  I think wills are the single most important thing to have.  
My opinion is that a family which has children has more needs for life insurance.  Since caring for children after death is most important.
Back to the gay couple:  if you have a house...get it put into both names with "transfer of title on death."  Same with assests such as investments.  When my Mom died 1/2 of all her investments came to me under "transfer on death" and I paid no taxes or anything. Of course I also had no access to the money since it remained INVESTED.

Hope this helps.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 06:49:58 pm »
There used to be some "niche" life insurance products for folks who are HIV positive, but they had very high premiums, and very low coverage.  Ridiculously expensive, IMHO.  You might be better off taking the money you would have used to pay the premium, and saving / investing it somewhere.  It depends on your situation, and why you need / want the insurance.

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 12:27:19 am »
I would recommend reading some of Suze Orman's books on financial planning.  She has a couple of chapters that are dedicated to discussing insurance, unraveling the terms and helping you figure out what you need.  She talks about why you should have life insurance and also talks about long term care insurance.  Most of it is aimed at straight families, but if you can look past that there is some really good advice on how to tackle problems.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline texasangel071184

• me and toedoe
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 01:27:37 pm »
 ;D Thank you everyone  for the wonderful advice it was very helpful and me and my partner intend to do a few of the things suggusted.
I live, I breath, I defie, I succeed!
who are you to tell me i can't, I can and I will!

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 02:00:00 pm »
;D Thank you everyone  for the wonderful advice it was very helpful and me and my partner intend to do a few of the things suggusted.

If you look around you can still find Life Insurance if your POZ+ it won't be a very big pay-out when you die
(and maybe less than 8 to 10 Grand) that is what I have, but, I've had it for about 20 yrs. and when I got it, I didn't have AIDS, being POZ+ at that time wasn't the disqualification, but having Full Blown AIDS was
I checked it out last yr. and was told it was valid until age 100, or witch ever came 1st....as I said, it's not much (way under 8K) and is only valid upon my death, so yeah, you can get one like that with like $15 to $20 a month (but the pay-out will be very small).....if you own land or real property, then I agree with Bear60's suggestion......and keep-in-mind  Death is only for the living (who's left after your gone) and the final expenses, a pre-paid-plain , is also a good thing as well  ;)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 02:02:14 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 03:40:28 pm »
me and my partner
don't forget the essentials of a medical power of attorney and/or a living will, along with that will to cover the material possesions and life insurance to cover the burial etc. You wouldn't believe how many times that POA was necessary when my partners were in the hospital.

Twice I've lost long term partners to AIDS, and twice I had to brandish that POA to get the proper medical treatment, to get access, and to make decisions when my partners could not. Neither left a will or life insurance and I was "stuck" with the expenses and trauma both times; but I'd rather have had that POA to make the necessary decisions more than any life insurance.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Thinkahead55

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 11:14:44 am »
THere is one way to get it, and that is through employer sponsored when you first get a job.  When you first get a new job and can sign up for life insurance without a health check, max it out.  Normally the max is 5x base salary.  IF you do 1x and then a year later try to increase, you will not be able to increase because you will not pass the healthcheck.  After I move on from jobs, the insurance normally carries and I just pay the premiums myself.  I have put together $800K in life insurance this way.  I didn't max it out at the first couple of jobs, because I didn't have others to think of.  But, I am married now and max it at 5x.  I assume they will pay when I die, as they know I am no longer working there, as they can't deduct the premiums and send me statements which I then send in.  It has worked thus far and is better than nothing.
1984 - contracted HIV (transfusion)
1991 - diagnosed HIV positive
CD4>600, VL undetectable since 2002

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 02:43:08 pm »
Thinkahead:

you really do. you have this thing down cold!

-Steven (aka   8) megasept

Offline Okealyshire

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 04:19:44 am »
2. PREPAY for your funeral or cremation.  Some plans allow you to pay monthly. I chose the Pennsylvania Cremation Society which is relatively low cost and I prepaid in 1995.  So, even if costs go up I am cremated.  Disposal of ashes is another story.

All four of my grandparents died in the last two years, and all four of them had prepaid for funerals. I inquired about the costs and frankly was shocked. So now I've filed a living will that instructs survivors to donate my cadaver to the nearest medical school to provide for medical students to get anatomy practice. Just curious if anyone else has considered this?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.