Main Forums > Pre-HAART Long-Term Survivors

Quitting smoking!

(1/10) > >>

phillypinko:
 Im 41 years old. I didn't start smoking until I was 30. I was repulsed by smoking until I started dating a guy who talked me into smoking with him. I am completely hooked now but want to stop. Im starting to get a little paranoid about all the health problems smoking can cause. I stopped smoking for 6 months using chantrix but started again during a trip to europe. I find the motivation to get started then pick up a day or two after I stop. How do I get over the hump?

Jeff G:
Hi Philly , I have battled with nicotine addiction for many years and have not smoked in 2 months now .

Im for what ever it takes to quit but for me it was realizing and excepting the fact that its tough to quit and it sucks but do be free of the habit I just had to be willing to be uncomfortable for awhile and do it .

I have a buddy who tried to quit with me and he didn't make it , I think its because he was using an electronic cigarette and that is essentially reinforcing the hand to mouth and chemical addiction , so now he is back smoking .

He was my inspiration to quit . He can barely breath and will be on oxygen within a year but he just cant stop .     

aztecan:
Hey Philly,

I smoked for 32 years. I took Chantix and it helped me kick it.

Talk to your doctor about it. It's worth a shot.

HUGS,

Mark

BT65:
I haven't had a cigarette since last September and I use an e-cig.  My doctor said they're perfectly fine and a better alternative than real cigs.  I don't have any inkling to start smoking the real thing.  They're also much cheaper. 

You do what you need to do.  My best friend hasn't smoked in over 2 years and she still uses nicotine gum.  We were fiends, though, so having a better substitute is alright for the time being.  If you don't smoke much maybe you can use a nicotine alternative and taper off.  Or, like Mark said, try Chantix again.  Whatever it takes.

Jeff G:

--- Quote from: BT65 on April 26, 2013, 03:51:03 pm ---I haven't had a cigarette since last September and I use an e-cig.  My doctor said they're perfectly fine and a better alternative than real cigs.  I don't have any inkling to start smoking the real thing.  They're also much cheaper. 

You do what you need to do.  My best friend hasn't smoked in over 2 years and she still uses nicotine gum.  We were fiends, though, so having a better substitute is alright for the time being.  If you don't smoke much maybe you can use a nicotine alternative and taper off.  Or, like Mark said, try Chantix again.  Whatever it takes.

--- End quote ---

I agree with the whatever works statement ... I bought one of those electronic cigarette and it just made me want a real cigarette and gave me a rash , so that's why I had to just suck it up and quit the old fashion way ... by being a bitchy old queen for a week .       

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version