Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:41:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773170
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 278
Total: 281

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Different Informations  (Read 8765 times)

Offline bohliboy

Different Informations
« on: July 10, 2006, 11:40:27 am »
Dear friends in this american forum,

I’m working for a health organisation in Frankfurt/Germany and one of my HIV-positive clients, an 18 years old boy, is going to visit his father in miami and some relatives in Austin/Texas. Now, he needs information about how he can oganize to get the therapy in America, what about the costs, are there specialized doctors nearby etc.

Is it possible to get these informations from your side or do you have any addresses/contacts where I can get the answers?

Thanks a lot

Michael

Thanks for your help and the very best greetings from Frankfurt

Michael Bohl

Offline clarke

Re: Different Informations
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 12:13:55 pm »
I don't live in Miami, but I do know he can more than likely go to a local HIV/AIDS clinic to inquire about possible treatment.  I'm not sure of the residency requirements for Florida or Texas (if would have had to live there for a specific time), so he might want to get Florida (or Texas?) Identification as soon as he can.

You didn't mention how well his English is, or if he may need someone to translate.  Whomever works with him for any kind of treatment are going to need as much information as he can provide (when was he diagnosed, why did he get tested, does he use drugs outside of what is prescribed etc.).  I believe many of the clinics here in the U.S.A. "specialize" in HIV/AIDS.  Oh, and most, if not all clinics check for Tuberculosis by X-Ray.

Your best bet for contacts are to "Google" AIDS Miami and/or AIDS Austin.  There will be email contacts  and other information for you to check out.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 05:14:47 pm »
The best place to start in Austin is ASA--AIDS Services of Austin.  They're the people that have all the info, all the referrals, caseworkers to help organize everything.

http://www.asaustin.org/site/PageServer?pagename=what_what_we_do

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 12:42:14 am »
Is he coming just to visit?  Or will he be staying for an extended time? If so, low long?  Is he on HAART now? 

The US does not allow HIV+ people through customs.  He can get around that, of course, by saying "NO" if they ask him if he is positive.   They usually don't ask that question but if they check his luggage, etc and find the pills, then they will not let him in.  Tell him not to volunteer any information.    That is why I'm asking if he is already on medication.  If so, he should send the pills to his father or whoever he is staying with before he leaves.   That way he should have no problem getting in. 

If he is staying for a long period of time and needs access to medication, he will need a local address.  I'm not sure what the requirements are for an 18 year old.

Offline clarke

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 12:25:14 pm »
No s__t?  HIV+'s aren't allowed thru customs?  What other countries are like that?

Offline Christine

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 12:50:21 pm »
Here is a link from the US State Department on entry requirements.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/brochures/brochures_1229.html

Some countries only require hiv testing if one is applying for a permanent or work visa. The US has one of the most restrictive entry requirements. They can turn away a hiv + person at customs, even if the person is just on vacation, and not applying for residency.
Christine

Here is another link I found on traveling to the US
http://www.gaygameschicago.org/chicago/immigration.php

If you read down, there is a part on health care too.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 01:23:42 pm by Christine »
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline bohliboy

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 08:54:04 am »
Thanks everybody for answering me. With the contacts, you gave to me, we can organize the next steps. At the moment, he wants to stay for 6 months and he needs the therapy. We know, that it is almost impossible to come to the states for people with HIV (officially). But the hints we give to our clients, normally work. In his case, we have to organize a longer period and he will be able to check the things with the right contacts.

Thanks a lot and the very best greetings from Germany

Michael

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.