Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:23:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 634
Total: 638

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Aids diagnosed at 76  (Read 4597 times)

Offline Suarez

Aids diagnosed at 76
« on: January 07, 2013, 12:28:52 pm »
I have a question concerning my father.  Both my parents have been diagnosed with HIV.  They are in their mid-seventies.

My father began losing weight a few years ago and despite several tests he was not diagnosed until a few months ago.  He had a number of opportunistic infections and when tested his CD4 count was zero. He was tested again last month and his CD4 count is now at 70.

Because he was tested positive my mother was also tested and is now of generally good health and on Atripla.  We have no problems with her and she is doing fine, I think it was caught in the early stages.

It is my father that causes a lot of concern for us. Although his viral load is now undetectable, he keeps on getting these infections that really knock him for six and has been hospitalised a number of times.  He is on a whole range of antivirals as he cannot have Atripla due to his kidney problems.

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of HIV when it is detected so late on in the elderly?  The consultants say all they can do is keep reviewing his medication but he does not really seem to be improving.  Was wondering if there was anything else I could do or read up on as I am concerned that one of these infections could have serious consequences

Than you in advance.

Offline Jmarksto

Re: Aids diagnosed at 76
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:18:12 pm »
Hey Suarez; 

I am sorry to hear about your folks, but welcome to the forums.  I am by no means the guy to answer your specific question, there are many more experienced folks around and hopefully they will chime in, but I wanted to at least acknowledge your post.

A few comments regarding your father's situation.  The first is that about 1/3 of us diagnosed with HIV are done so at the stage of AIDS, so I am sure that your father's docs are familiar with the process and I would encourage a dialogue with the doctors about that process.  The other point is that while you have said that your father is not improving - you do note that he is undetectable and his CD4s have increased - so it seems there is some improvement. Finally, I would caution you about reading too much on the internet - there is quite a bit on opportunistic infections and it is easy to send yourself into a tailspin of worry about things that will have nothing to do with your father's situation.

I hope your father continues to improve and wish the best for your family.

Sincerely,

JM
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline Suarez

Re: Aids diagnosed at 76
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 07:09:16 am »
Thanks for your reply Jmarksto. 

Your reference to the internet research is particularly appropriate here. I have ran myself ragged surfing on the issue and have spent literally days looking at articles that have almost turned me into a zombie. So much conflicting info out there.

I have had many meetings with the consultants but they are very non-committal.

I am based in the UK. Private treatment for HIV is not appropriate for this condition here and treatment is effectively confined to the state National Health Service which is free of charge.

Whilst surfing you come across many forums and other posts that seem to suggest that there is a 'hidden agenda' or an unspoken rule that there will be no over expenditure of the public purse on trying too hard to save those over 70 on a purely financial policy point of view.  I suppose this  is what concerns me most of all, namely that something could be explored that will not be.

I suppose the kernel of my concerns is whether it is possible to 'clawback' someone with aids at that particular age and you seem to suggest there is so i will continue to hope.  Thank you again.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.