Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:16:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 359
Total: 360

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What to do about Gun Violence?  (Read 43843 times)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Re: What to do about Gun Violence?
« Reply #150 on: December 16, 2012, 10:42:30 pm »
Really necessary?

Here's what I would do If I were king of the world:

Ban Assualt weapons.
Ban Semiautomatic weapons (yes, even 9mm pistols, etc...)
Ban High capacity Clips
Ban Gun shows
28 day waiting periods for gun purchases, including background checks.

Those who desired to have a firearm in their homes could have revolvers.

One more thing before I go to bed...Until something like this^ can get implemented we need to immediately, tomorrow, Make serious steps towards protecting our children by placing ARMED Off-duty/on duty policeman in each school across the US. Or National Guard?

In reality what else can we do?

No one thought anyone would ever walk into a Elemterary school and execute kindergatners...I would hate to have the unthinkable happen again while we try to hash out a legislative response. "copycats", etc...

-W
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 10:44:53 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #151 on: December 16, 2012, 10:57:52 pm »
It takes a certain amount of spunk to quote yourself in a thread.

ps: I don't "have" children so I don't need to do shit.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #152 on: December 17, 2012, 12:08:36 am »
So what if we put guards in the elementary schools?  Then what?  What about daycares?  What about subways?  What about shopping malls?  What about strip malls?  What about bowling alleys?  Boardwalks?  On buses?  Restaurants?  Hotel lobbies?

Do we try to lock down the whole planet?  Or do we try to reduce the amount of weapons of mass destruction out on the streets?  Which makes more sense?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #153 on: December 17, 2012, 12:51:15 am »
We should tax gun owners and firearm manufactureres to pay for increased security in every public place. Chicago just last month levied a tax on firearms to pay for healthcare costs due to gun violence, the first jurisdiction in the US to do so.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #154 on: December 17, 2012, 02:06:31 am »
We should tax gun owners and firearm manufactureres to pay for increased security in every public place. Chicago just last month levied a tax on firearms to pay for healthcare costs due to gun violence, the first jurisdiction in the US to do so.

I like this idea.  We tax cigarettes.  Those taxes were sold, saying it would lower smoking rates and help cover the millions spent for smoking related illnesses.  And, many have quit.  I have no idea how much of the taxes go to reimburse healthcare costs. 

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #155 on: December 17, 2012, 02:32:04 am »
I have a car. I have to pay insurance in case I kill people with it.

Why don't gun owners have the same obligation?

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #156 on: December 17, 2012, 02:41:03 am »

Why don't gun owners have the same obligation?

They think society should subsidize their never ending quest of validating their manhood.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #157 on: December 17, 2012, 05:43:39 am »
Yes and they should tax the hell out of alcohol like they do cigarettes.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #158 on: December 17, 2012, 05:52:00 am »
It takes a certain amount of spunk to quote yourself in a thread.

ps: I don't "have" children so I don't need to do shit.
You don't have any spunk either. After six years of listening to you "spout" off  from topics ranging from A to Z you still blabber about nothing. You like to take jabs at people, but when it's reversed you cry like a little girl.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #159 on: December 17, 2012, 08:27:13 am »
Look ass-wipe even you aren't dense enough not to understand the response I was giving to Windy what's-her-face "imagine" scenario. I haven't gone after you or anyone else for owning a gun or suggested we get rid of the second amendment. Got that? And just to make a bed wetter like you feel better, you can go beat off knowing that I own a 38.

Dox, unless I missed it somehow (and I carefully read the entire thread before commenting), you are the ONLY person who stooped to this level of name-calling. You could easily have gotten your point across without it, so I don't understand why you did it. You're more articulate than that and despite high emotions, you should have thought twice.

Consider yourself warned.

More name-calling outburst in this thread by you or anyone else will result in the lockdown of this thread and the Time Out of the name-caller.

I hope this is the last warning needed in this thread.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #160 on: December 17, 2012, 08:37:42 am »
That's fine, but did you read Rod's last post?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #161 on: December 17, 2012, 08:53:50 am »
That's fine, but did you read Rod's last post?

Yep, but he didn't resort to name calling. Philly (who Rod directed his last comment at) has made much more pointed comments himself, but he's smart enough to refrain from school-yard name-calling.

Personally, I think some of the fighting and strawman arguments in this thread are pretty puerile, but as long as you're not calling each other names, have at it.

I'm too sickened by the whole thing (what sparked the debate as well as the debate itself both here and elsewhere) to make much comment myself. I'm just thankful I live in an area of the world where personal gun ownership is strictly regulated and I don't have to worry about people running around with concealed weapons, semi-automatics and/or assault rifles. People where I live just shake their heads at American gun laws and wonder when the madness will end, if it ever ends.

edited for spelling
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:56:17 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: December 17, 2012, 09:12:02 am »
Doxie, no more responses like "ass wipe." Stop it right now. And anything of similar ilk from anyone else.

I know this subject stirs very strong feelings. But namecalling and such are totally unacceptable and will not be tolerated. This is such a sad time. Don't make me hand out Time Outs. But I will if there is anymore acrimony in any of the exchanges.

Nasty and angry exchanges are unworthy in the face of this tragedy. So please...desist.
Andy Velez

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #163 on: December 17, 2012, 09:21:18 am »
With all due respect Andy is it really necessary for you to issue a warning after Ann has already issued one? I understood the first warning and I think so did everyone else.

Offline zach

« Reply #164 on: December 17, 2012, 10:09:08 am »
i need more popcorn... i just knew i could come back here and find the same old names bickering away. predictability can be a wonderful thing. yall play your parts so wonderfully, its like you're reading a script. how long did it take some of you to develop your characters?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:34:26 am by zach »

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #165 on: December 17, 2012, 10:42:27 am »
i need more popcorn... i just knew i could come back here and find the same old names bickering away. predictability can be a wonderful thing. yall play your parts so wonderfully, its like you're reading a script. how long did it take some of you to cultivate your characters?

We are The Real Housewives of HIV. I'm cutting a demo record and blowing Andy Cohen so I can get a my own spin off-- GSOgymrat's Big Gay Roadtrip. Stay tuned!

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #166 on: December 17, 2012, 10:55:36 am »

Do we try to lock down the whole planet?  Or do we try to reduce the amount of weapons of mass destruction out on the streets?  Which makes more sense?

I'm not talking about lockind down anything, Im talking about putting an officer in each school.

Kind of like what Austin is doing this morning...

http://www.kvue.com/news/Austin-Police-presence-at-AISD-schools-Monday-morning-183765801.html

and spoke to my son's mother this morning, she confirmed that there are armed Constables at every school in my sons district, including elementary.

That is what makes sense right now today.

although I realize this is probably temporary and will last only a few days, I would love to see it permanent until we can get the weapons taken care of.

Our Children are worth it.

I Like this ^
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 11:17:14 am by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #167 on: December 17, 2012, 10:56:22 am »
Yes and they should tax the hell out of alcohol like they do cigarettes.

Aren't there already high taxes on alcohol?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #168 on: December 17, 2012, 10:57:44 am »
i need more popcorn... i just knew i could come back here and find the same old names bickering away. predictability can be a wonderful thing. yall play your parts so wonderfully, its like you're reading a script. how long did it take some of you to develop your characters?
Unclear if you are enjoying the spectacle or not. If you're enjoying it, don't complain. If not, switch the channel.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline zach

« Reply #169 on: December 17, 2012, 11:02:30 am »
seriously though, the 2nd amendment is clear cut, short, and easy to understand. without abolishing that amendment, any infringment on the right to bear arms will be easy as pie to challenge.

and how do you propose seizing the firearms that people already own? it will be a self fulfilling prophecy. the extreme right will say "see, we told you this would happen, they are coming." it will start a war that will rip this country apart.

knee jerk reactionary feel good laws aren't going to solve the problem.

and mecch, i'm not complaining, but if i was i wouldn't heed your instructions anyway thanks. and i switched this channel some time ago.

Offline mecch

« Reply #170 on: December 17, 2012, 11:07:21 am »
The Constitution protected slavery, until it did not, with the 13th amendment.

Offline zach

« Reply #171 on: December 17, 2012, 11:15:23 am »
indeed, it is a fluid living document. i've never liked the founding fathers argument much, its a little to simplistic.

my point is not that it can't or shouldn't be changed, its that half measures that contradict such plain spoken language are far to easy to challenge. you knee jerk, write an overly broad law that will only be struck down, what progress have you made? as long as the 2nd stands, my right to bear arms shall not be infringed.

trying to capitalize on this tragedy is going to backfire.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #172 on: December 17, 2012, 11:18:50 am »
seriously though, the 2nd amendment is clear cut, short, and easy to understand. without abolishing that amendment, any infringment on the right to bear arms will be easy as pie to challenge.

None of the amendments of the constitution give an absolute right.  The first amendment while giving the right to free speech has its limitations.  You cannot yell fire in a movie theatre nor do you have the right to speech that incites violence.

The second amendment gives the right to bear arms yet that doesn't mean the right is absolute.  Proper restrictions can be made, just like restrictions have been made to the first amendment (and all the others). 

No right is absolute.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #173 on: December 17, 2012, 11:19:40 am »

You poor thing. You obviously don't understand that there have been controls on firearms ever since that was written over 200 years ago. Of course, most of them were about taking guns out of the hands of black people so I'm sure that did't bother you.

Offline zach

« Reply #174 on: December 17, 2012, 11:27:47 am »
aww, there she is. please, with your vast knowledge of firearms, tell me more about the controls i've been subject to. you have no experience with guns at all, and you're gonna tell me what i obviously don't understand? you're kidding right?

and whats with the thinly veiled racist accusation? you know nothing about me.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #175 on: December 17, 2012, 11:43:46 am »
aww, there she is. please, with your vast knowledge of firearms, tell me more about the controls i've been subject to. you have no experience with guns at all, and you're gonna tell me what i obviously don't understand? you're kidding right?

and whats with the thinly veiled racist accusation? you know nothing about me.

Is there something wrong with your reading abilities? It was a historically relevant and accurate statement not an accusation of racism, as was the statement about firearm regulation over the past 200 years.

In fact, even in the recent Supreme Court Heller decision Scalia (the originalist) invented regulations:

be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.

Do you, or do you not, agree that someone who has sought mental health care in the past 12 months should or should not be able to own and operate firearms?

Offline zach

« Reply #176 on: December 17, 2012, 11:50:04 am »
Of course, most of them were about taking guns out of the hands of black people so I'm sure that did't bother you.

call it what you want ms p, you don't know me or what bothers me. your suggestion that something wouldn't bother me because it only applied to blacks... yeah, thinly veiled. and my reading comprehension skills are just fine thanks.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 11:53:01 am by zach »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #177 on: December 17, 2012, 11:52:27 am »
call it what you want ms p, you don't know me or what bothers me. your suggestion that something wouldn't bother me because it only applied to blacks... yeah, thinly veiled, and my reading comprehension skills are just fine thanks.

Is it too much to ask you to read the link I provided before becoming Mr. Angry? It's historically accurate that one of the primary kinds of gun control during the "Founding Fathers" period was a firearm restriction on black people. And this continued even after the Civil War. It's rather sad that you're personalizing the issue.

If you don't know the history of gun control maybe you shouldn't try and talk about it.

Offline zach

« Reply #178 on: December 17, 2012, 12:02:06 pm »
your link was after the fact to cya and make your statement about what bothers me appear less inflammatory.

personalized?

"You poor thing.

You obviously don't understand

black people so I'm sure that did't bother you

something wrong with your reading abilities?

you don't know the history of gun control maybe you shouldn't try and talk about it"

so please, tell me again who's personalized this.

i speak from experience, as someone who legally owns firearms and has served in the military in a combat arms MOS. so go ahead, tell me what i know about the history of firearms.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #179 on: December 17, 2012, 12:06:22 pm »
OK, I'm not going to babysit this thread all night while you lot take pot-shots at each other.

While I agree that this debate absolutely DOES need to happen amongst Americans, I don't agree that this tragedy and the resulting debate should be used as an excuse to start a war here amongst people who should know better. This site is supposed to be all about supporting one another, not tearing each other down each and every chance that comes along.

And against the backdrop of which this bickering and slanging match is happening - it's sickening.

I'm locking this thread before it gets any worse.

Start another firearm debate at your peril.

For the reading comprehension challenged amongst you, that means DO NOT START ANOTHER FIREARM DEBATE THREAD ON THIS FORUM.

There are plenty of other websites where you can go have this debate - I suggest you find them.

BTW, no firearm debate in the other thread about this tragedy either. Got it?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.