Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:41:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773291
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 697
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 681
Total: 682

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Support groups, yes or no for long termers?  (Read 4212 times)

Offline jm1953

Support groups, yes or no for long termers?
« on: July 29, 2010, 09:38:04 pm »
I used to go to support groups all the time when I was a newbie.  Now this forum has been my support group as an LTS.  Wondering if any of you are going to support groups, and if so, if they are working for you?

In my city which is rather large, there is a drop in group twice a week.  And some specific for newbies, or drug induced HIV.  I really wish I could find one for LTS.  Not to downplay the importance of these groups for all people with HIV, but as we know LTS men and women have a lot of history behind us concerning this disease and want to move forward not backwards.

I'm considering going to an open one in the next couple of weeks.  Don't know if it is really worth it, except the opportunity to meet other HIV Poz men outside of bar functions.

Just thought if anyone had any feedback?

Thanks,

JM

Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Support groups, yes or no for long termers?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 09:45:59 pm »
Hi Jeff, yes I go to one and it's just for LTS.  It began six years ago or so as specifically to support people on Fuzeon, which almost by definition was LTS folks.  Once Isentress came out two years ago and all of us switched to that we officially rebranded ourselves as a LTS group, though really before that half of the attendees weren't even on Fuzeon.  Anyway, that's how it came about.

We only meet once monthly, and it's a small group of 8-10 people usually.  I've formed good friendships with several of the guys and do things from time to time outside of the group format.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 06:58:48 am »
I just went to a LTS support group last week.. There were 30 men, no women. I was the only one who had any physical problems. I thought to myself, what the hell???

Then all hell broke loose. Everyone else had mental problems. Bi polar, and morbid depression for the most part. Oh, and being misdiagnosed. That was a popular item.
After an hour of listening to this, I was emotionally drained lol.

I don't think I'll be going back this week. I still haven't recovered. I need a shrink I think!!!

UGH UGH UGH
Positive since 1985

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 03:26:10 pm »
I've seen good and bad support groups.

The 'bad' in my mind are the groups where the main form of communication is either whining or hitting on each other--or both.  I've found it very unhelpful to sit around with a group of people who only want to spread negativity, bitch about others, take no responsibility for a proactive role in their own lives--all while constantly making extremely rude sexual advances and innuendo.  I've gotten to the point that I usually pick up this vibe in the first 10 minutes or so--and head for the door.

To me, 'good groups' are friends who support each other.  Those that would meet and hang out regardless of whether it was an 'organized' group or not.  Can be at a community space or not.  People that have groups at their houses, like I have done.  We cook for each other, go to ball games, clubs, museums etc.  But we're not up each others hoo-hah all the time either.

Of the 'organized' support groups I've been a part of, I've out lived 3 of them.  What I see as helpful for us LTS'ers is a group of HIV positive people who CHOOSE to be with each other and genuinely care about each other.

Offline jm1953

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 08:57:07 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback.  Ironically just sitting in the waiting room of my HIV docs waiting room on Tuesday was a great support group.  He was running two hours late because of three emergencies so those of us, about six, waiting had a great discussion.

I'm going to try to get more information about this support group before I go. 

Thanks again.
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline weasel

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 03:19:33 am »

I go to a GREAT   support group  in  Cape  Giradaeu ,Missouri !

It is  about  25  guys and gals    ,  we do a lot of Potlucks !

These people are  fun loving great caring people !

There are  some groups in S.E. Missouri that are sort of meat racks  ::)

As  a lot of you know   I have been  with the  " Unofficial   AMG   Las Vegas  group !

I have had a ball  , What a nice group of  people !

I feel loved !    I'll see Thom one more time  :)

Tonight  I went to the Local  Las Vegas   Support group !

WHAT A DOG AND PONY SHOW !

Self centered  ,self loving  clods  :-[

After the  Moderator (  Must be his first   GIG  )   told us   " One more person  speaks

out of order or with a neighbor  WE WILL HAVE AN ADJUSTMENT  ??? "

I asked where the Loo  was and  slithered out of the place !

LIKE THEY SAY YOU CAN NEVER GO HOME !

Las Vegas is FUN  ,But it will never be home . OR  have a support group that is NOT

Pimping  other groups  :o

Carl ,   I enjoyed my PIZZA tonight more then the " show "   LOL

" Live and let Live "

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 01:19:40 pm »
Hey Jeff,

I have been involved with support groups since the mid-80s and what matters the most, is how the group is structured and facilitated. In Florida, we had many poz groups and each group was distinctive. There was a group for pozzies to bitch and moan and whine about how life was so unfair, yada, yada, yada. There were groups for teens, prevention and then there was our group.

It is called "Positive Attitudes" and the intent was to form a group, to discuss and help each other LIVE with HIV. The only cardinal rule we had was "no bitching". There were other groups where you could be a martyr, but not ours. We talked about everything and went to dinner together after our weekly group. We did pool parties, bowling, happy hours, potlucks, whatever and it is a great group of people. All it took was facilitators who developed topics and ideas, for the group to discuss, or we would ask for suggestions for members. If someone had a topic that was very important to them, they would be invited to be the facilitator for that topic. We simply believed that concentrating on adapting and living with HIV to be some of the best medicine.

Offline jm1953

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 11:48:21 pm »
Joe,

Your group sounds like the first one I joined in 1987 when I first turned positive and lost my two best friends all around the same time.  Needless to say I was a wreck.  Fortunately I found a group very much like the one you are in which was a great group of guys, and great facilitators.  Like you, we did potlucks, or meetings in the park.  I was referred to this particular group by a woman who ran her own group who just recently had lost her son to AIDS.

It just seems there is not much to choose from here in a city this size.  I'm still looking, but for now this forum has been a tremendous support system.

Thanks for sharing,

JM

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 02:50:22 am »
I was in a group some years ago and eventhough it started off nicely, it ended up chaotic.  It really depends on the members and who is running it.  At the end of this month, I plan to go to a newly formed group for poz people and see if I can make a longer commitment. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.