Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:00:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773224
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 616
Total: 618

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Indeterminate Result  (Read 4077 times)

Offline skycee

• oh you are having a bad day? Did you die?
Indeterminate Result
« on: November 20, 2012, 10:12:08 am »
So time in september i met and slept with this lady, we used protection buh it broke off and i didn't realize on time, when i did pull out, i. Observed she was bleeding and i hurriedly washed myself up, i asked her if she knew her hiv status and. She said she was.  gative and i didn't have. To worry.
About 2-3wks later i. Started having a sore throat, then a bad flu, then another sore throat, it like from one illness. To. Other and i don't get ill easily, that was when my bells started ringing...i tried lots of antibiotics buh. Issue wld go and resurface. Presently i have a sore throat which hurts when i swallow on. Right side of my neck and i get tired very easily.

Yesterday i decided. To go check up myself and after. Doctor examined me, he said my tonsiles where swollen and it was draining fluid into my lymph glands...that news felt good cos i and that's causing. Fever and weakness didn't want any more complications, he gave me some antibiotics (though i have bin loading myself with antibiotics for over a week). I then asked. To be tested for hiv.
I went back. To.. Doctors today and my result said "indeterminate result" maybe due. To false positive reaction or early seroconversion and recommened i run another test in 10-14days.

Seriously I'm freaking out, and i really don't want. To say i know what's coming next...i don't know how i got home from. Doctor's and i can't even get myself. To cry... Lady in question has bin unreachable for weeks, and. Doctor says i should bring her for testing. I feel I've messed it all up for myself.

Please does anyone have an idea what i should be expecting, which way does it usually fall when its indeterminate.

Infected September's 2012
Seroconverted October 2012
Elisa test- indeterminate 20th November. 2012
Rapid test - Negative 23th November 2012
Elisa test - Positive 10th December 2012
CD4 - 546, 12th Dec 2012
CD4 600+, VL 6702 26th March 2013

Offline RapidRod

Re: Indeterminate Result
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 10:17:22 am »
Your results were neither positive or negative. You will need to retest.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 10:27:30 am »
sky,

If the test you did was six weeks or more since this broken condom incident (it's not clear), you have most likely had a false result. Keep in mind that an indeterminate result is in NO way a positive result.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A six week negative must be confirmed at the three month point, but is highly unlikely to change.

Even if this incident occurred at the end of September, if you were positive, you most likely would have had a firm positive result by now, not an indeterminate.

If you continue to test indeterminate, there may be other factors at play (not hiv) such as an underlying, not-as-yet diagnosed autoimmune disease. Autoimmune diseases can sometimes cause false positive or indeterminate results, and sometimes these results just happen for no apparent reason.

I really do not expect you to end up hiv positive over this situation. I've yet to see the insertive partner test positive following a broken condom and I do not expect you to be the first - and yes, I understand she was on her period.

Only a three month negative test will be conclusive and as I already stated, if you continue to get indeterminate results, your doctor needs to investigate other possible causes.

If you get a positive result, you need to know that you will only be diagnosed with hiv once another test is run (a Western Blot) and the result of the WB is also positive. WB tests are run to find out whether a positive antibody result is a true positive or a false positive.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline skycee

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 10:09:30 am »
So today, i went  to another clinic cos i couldn't afford  to hold on for Ð next 10days  to know my fate and i requested for a test, buh this time opted for Ð instant result...

Ð result came out negative....just one line...and I've bin staring at it all evening  to make sure it doesn't change  to 2 lines....

i know i wld have  to do Ð Eliase test in 10days  to be perfectly sure.

Buh based on this result and comparing with Ð indeterminate result what do u think
CD4 - 546, 12th Dec 2012

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 10:18:01 am »
After the alloted time they can show a positive results, after you read it the first time you disguard it.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 07:58:10 pm »
sky,

You're most likely hiv negative, but make sure you confirm at the three month point.

I expect you will continue to test negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline skycee

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 03:56:02 am »
So after my 1st test that was indeterminate i was scheduled  to come back  to a retest in 10-14days, and i have an appointment for today. Ð rapid. Test i did some 2weeks back was negative so I'm hoping this result comes out negative...

My health improved a few days after i did Ð test, and I've bin beta since, and bin. Eating well, lost about 5kg when i had Ð flu and swollen tonsiles, occassionally i have a headache. However i just have this funny feeling about it all, hey I'm really trying my best  to have a positive outlook about this, buh each time i feel this swelling on my neck and groin my heart sinks and i feel so sad, and. It feels like a confirmation that Ð result of my test wld be what i fear Ð most.

Spent a lot of time on this site and forum reading up stuff and trying  to grab as much info as i can and everyday i check my google alert for a news on. Advancements for a cure....

Gosh i just need someone  to hold me and say all will be well....wonder what wld happen  to my career if i turn out positive, how wld i tell my parents....still hope this is a dream....
CD4 - 546, 12th Dec 2012

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 05:58:48 am »
Sky,

I still fully expect you to test hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.