Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:31:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 134
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 126
Total: 126

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Just got my 1st numbers back, overwhelmed  (Read 6950 times)

Offline Shayne504

Just got my 1st numbers back, overwhelmed
« on: May 10, 2013, 06:58:05 pm »
Tested Poz 4/10/13 just got my numbers back T-109   VL 104,000 don't expect to the genome back till 5/23 Dr called in Bactrim to prevent pneumonia. Up till now I was dealing ok. I'm telling myself they are just numbers, they don't define who I am.

Considering how low my Tcell count is I'm doing good to not have any COI's.

Offline PAGuy

Re: Just got my 1st numbers back, overwhelmed
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 08:01:33 pm »
Shayne...while they are not great they are not all that bad...you are going to be fine.   I was diagnosed a year ago and my t cell was 49 and my viral load was 2 million...that's not a typo.   I am now UD and at 308 cd4...you are going to be fine..just follow your doctors orders, stay upbeat...your numbers WILL improve!   Keep us updated!
March 2012---tested positive
Started Atripla, Batrim DS, Amoxycillan
April 2012---cd4 49, vl 2,000,000
June 2012---cd4 296, vl 1294
Discontinued Batrim DS and Amoxycillan
Sept 2012---cd4 300, vl UD
March 2013---cd4 308, vl 53...minor blip! Cd%26
Switched to Complera

Offline mitch777

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 08:48:45 am »
Tested Poz 4/10/13 just got my numbers back T-109   VL 104,000 don't expect to the genome back till 5/23 Dr called in Bactrim to prevent pneumonia. Up till now I was dealing ok. I'm telling myself they are just numbers, they don't define who I am.

Considering how low my Tcell count is I'm doing good to not have any COI's.

Hi Shayne and welcome to the forums!

Well, you have less than two weeks to get the results of the genome test.
I'm sure it might seem like a very long wait but hang in.

My guess is you will have a prescription in hand as soon as the results are known.
All of the meds today usually do a pretty quick job in reducing the viral load which in turn will boost your CD4 count.

In the mean time...
Try to keep busy and distract your mind if you can.
I know, easier said. ::)

You will be OK and hope you know that there is a lot of support here. :)

Take care,
m.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline gadawg1979

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 01:40:58 am »
Chin up and welcome... Sorry you had to find us.  As you will see many of us were in your boat with numbers.  Find a treatment that works for you and stick with it.
Diagnosed March 2012
Initial CD4- 156 VL 200K (started Complera) Genotype test no resistance
First labs on meds CD4- 246 VL 2K Taken after 30 days on Complera
90 Day labs VL 306 No CD4 Drawn
8/21/2012 CD4 474 VL Undetectable (40) %20.6
11/27/2012 CD 4 522 VL Undetectable (40)
2/14/2013 CD 4 464 VL Undetecable (30) 19.6%
6/8/3013 CD 4 528 VL Undetectable (30)
9/24/2013 CD 4 546 VL Undetectable (40)
1/30/2014 CD4 560 VL Undetectable (40) 22 %
6/19/2014 CD4 584 Vl Undetecable (30)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 12:52:53 pm »
Welcome, Shayne,

Your concern about numbers is very understandable. But at this very early time after your diagnosis, as others have told you, they really are not unusual and far from being as problematic as others have been at this point post-diagnosis. It's hard to be patient, but I believe you will see as so many others have, how when the meds kick in the results are amazing.

Keep in mind to develop a good working partnership with your doctor. When you have questions, ask them. Write them down so you don't have to depend on your memory when you have an appointment. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience here as you are already beginning to find out.

We're glad you found your way here in a time of need. You're always welcome to discuss anything that's on your mind.

Again, welcome.

Andy Velez

Offline hoyw1975

• Late 30s gay man, diagnosed 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 06:39:00 pm »
Hey Shayne. It's a couple of months since you posted and I'm in a similar situation, so I thought I'd reply and see how you're doing now? Are your stats back  up some? How're you finding all the meds?

I was diagnosed at the end of June, with my first CD4 count being 130; two weeks later (nearly three weeks ago, now) my CD4 has fallen to 87 and my VL is 200k. I have an appointment at the clinic on Friday where I'll probably start HAART, having been on Septrin (what we call Bactrim over here) for three weeks.

I'm surprisingly un-nervous. The main thing I'm worried about is picking up something before my immune system gets back to somewhere sensible.

Offline Peterdenmark

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 12:05:26 pm »
Hey Shayne. It's a couple of months since you posted and I'm in a similar situation, so I thought I'd reply and see how you're doing now? Are your stats back  up some? How're you finding all the meds?

I was diagnosed at the end of June, with my first CD4 count being 130; two weeks later (nearly three weeks ago, now) my CD4 has fallen to 87 and my VL is 200k. I have an appointment at the clinic on Friday where I'll probably start HAART, having been on Septrin (what we call Bactrim over here) for three weeks.

I'm surprisingly un-nervous. The main thing I'm worried about is picking up something before my immune system gets back to somewhere sensible.

I hope it ok, that I hang on here :-)

Im very new too, both as a member on this very nice forum, but also as a hiv poz.

The stories I for the time being like to read most, are about low cd4, because thats what Im experiencing - and this way I want to learn more - same U I beleive.

At least I can tell U, that the new medicine works, and I have tried(still do) to have low cd4, and several OI.
I still take TB medicine, but only need it for 3-4 more months.

I actually couldnt handle the Batrim, so my doc took that away from me, even though I had zero Cd4.

Im still without Bactrim though, but my cd4 is climbing steadyly - and so will yours, when u starthaart treatment.

And, I wish u best of luck. Doctors and their medicine nowadays are really doing wonders.
Always have faith in that, even though there will be bad days too, thats life.

I wish I could have been brave and not nervous like you, but when they told me I had hiv 3 months ago, I was not as strong.

Just keep up yr mood and be adherrent about medicine.

Warm regards from Denmark

Peter

Offline Shayne504

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 09:12:32 am »
Sorry for the long time between posts. My 2nd set of blood work came back mid June. My CD-4 has dropped to 80 (yes 80, not a typo) and my VL dropped to 89K. I started Truvada and Isentress about 3 weeks ago, so far so good. Only side effects have been Drowsiness and occasional muscle cramps in my calves. I know it sounds strange but I felt like a kid at Christmas when my Dr wrote my Rx!

While waiting to get on meds I started working in my diet. I stopped all soft drinks and fast food. I've made an effort to eat more fresh fruit and veggies. With my low CD-4 I only drink bottled water from a local Artesian well source. My local water district has the habit of sending out letters every 6 months or so saying, Oops we didn't quite me Federal Standards for removal of "X". So my nutritionist and Dr said avoid the tap water. I'm just chomping at the bit to start being more physically active, Doc wants me to wait because muscle weakness and pain are 2 of the most common side effects to the meds.

I have made an effort to keep a positive 😜 outlook and not dwell on it. I recently told one of my best friends about my status, so I'm working on building my support group so my friends can keep me from isolating.

I'm taking it one day at a time. I have a GREAT Dr! I have his cell phone number and he responds quickly to my texts. My office visits sometimes seem like two stand-up comedians playing off each other. On my first visit he asked if I was OK with me if a resident sat in on my appointment, to which I replied, No problem! Any time you want Doctors in training to sit in its fine. I figure if I can help future Drs to better at treating others it can only help in the fight

Well this went on longer than I planned so I will close for now. Y'all have a good one!

Shayne

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 12:46:41 am »
Sorry to hear your numbers dropped so low, but it is good to hear you wanted to start meds and have such a positive outlook.  How long do you think you've been poz? 

I am glad Louisville water is considered some of the best in the country.  I always have residents in on my appts.  Like you, I don't mind.  I want them to learn all they can, and learn how to have conversations with patients.  I have noticed some don't seem very interested, at all.  It seems like they got stuck with this residency.  I always ask them, whether they plan to work in HIV medicine.  The ones who don't seem that interested always say no.  But, perhaps they will learn things that will help them in other med fields.  Any doc could have an HIV patient.  Or, they may recognize issues a patient is having, who doesn't know they have HIV. 

Anyway, all the best for those t-cells to climb, as they will.  Keep in touch. 

Offline Shayne504

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 12:30:55 am »
Well the last time I had sex was February 25, 2009, so I figure at least 4 years now. The only problems I've had are the 2 bouts of skin cancer in a year and Bell's Palsy, so I haven lucky.

I am curious to see what change there will be in my #'s but I know it will take awhile for them to improve. Physically I'm doing good just mentally I have always to go?😛

Shayne

Offline hoyw1975

• Late 30s gay man, diagnosed 2013
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 03:23:31 pm »
Sounds like things have been rough but that they're definitely getting better for you, Shayne. I started Truvada with azatanavir and ritonavir last week, so hopefully I'll have similar luck with the side effects.

Here's hoping we can both get our CD4 counts up soon. Good luck, dude!  :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.