Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:42:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 337
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 337
Total: 338

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV Ancestor May Be Much Older Than Previously Thought  (Read 3787 times)

Offline tednlou2

HIV Ancestor May Be Much Older Than Previously Thought
« on: September 21, 2010, 12:10:55 am »
Found this interesting.  Not sure how many already saw this brief report on poz.com.  It briefly discusses why it only recently crossed species.  I've always been curious about that.  Was it mass vaccinations using the same instruments on many people?  Using monkey tissues to create vaccinations?  Or, an influx of westerners into Africa having sex?  We'll probably never know the answer to that, but SIV virus being thousands of years older than believed is interesting.

http://www.poz.com/articles/HIV_Simian_Ancestor_1_19119.shtml

Edited to add link that somehow disappeared.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:07:26 am by tednlou2 »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: HIV Ancestor May Be Much Older Than Previously Thought
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 02:03:40 am »
What, providing a link is too much effort for you?

MtD

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 02:06:36 am »
What, providing a link is too much effort for you?

MtD

I swear, I had the link there.  I don't know what happened. 

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 02:08:13 am »
I swear, I had the link there.  I don't know what happened. 

Don't let it happen again.

MtD

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 02:13:48 am »
I know that I got tested for the CCR5 gene, which, if I remember correctly, meant that an ancestor of mine had gotten the black plague centuries ago, but had survived it. As the result, I might be able to benefit from a class of drugs that utilize that. Finding out the origins of HIV and SIV might give us the genetic-based therapy breakthrough that we need.

And at the rate I am burning through meds, it would be a great idea if more of that science could happen quickly.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 12:11:45 pm »
Did you read the Times article or not?

There are two basic hypothesis how it sustained in the human population. And a clear fact that it crossed species from monkeys.

"The virus has probably crossed over from simians into humans at least five times. There are two human immunodeficiency viruses, H.I.V.-1, by far the most common, and H.I.V.-2, which is milder and rarely seen outside West Africa, and which jumped to humans from sooty mangabeys, a monkey that West Africans hunt and eat.  ....

It is very likely, scientists said, that a little infected monkey or ape blood got into human veins many times in history as hunters cut themselves while butchering carcasses. But even if it sickened those hunters, it probably died out with them or their immediate contacts.

The earliest confirmed H.I.V. case in humans was found in blood drawn in 1959 from a man in Kinshasa, in what was then called the Belgian Congo.

(mecch edit:  two thesis HOW IT SUSTAINED in HUMANS)

Sometime between the 1800s and 1959, something presumably allowed a human infection with a chimpanzee virus to spread widely enough to evolve into modern H.I.V.-1, which could spread easily among humans.

(Mecch note - thesis 1)  Dr. Marx believes that the crucial event was the introduction into Africa of millions of inexpensive, mass-produced syringes in the 1950s. Campaigns to wipe out yaws, syphilis, malaria, smallpox and polio required syringes, and many were reused, often with official approval. Traditional healers adopted them for injecting their decoctions, and they became status symbols; a study in Uganda in the 1960s found that 80 percent of families owned one.

(Mecch note - thesis 2)  Not everyone agrees. Michael Worobey, a virologist at the University of Arizona and another author of the Science paper, said backdating the molecular clock, which he did by comparing the 1959 blood sample with the only other known early one — a paraffin-embedded lymph node from 1960, also from Kinshasa — suggested that the virus emerged closer to 1910, when syringes were handmade, expensive and rare.

He and Dr. Hahn suspect that the growth of colonial cities is to blame. Before 1910, no Central African town had more than 10,000 people. But urban migration rose, increasing sexual contacts and leading to red-light districts. "

This sentence of yours makes no sense and to me seems a bit colonialist.  

"Or, an influx of westerners into Africa having sex?"

It crossed from monkeys to man, to get established.  Therefore how or when "westerners" had sex with Africans doesn't have ANYTHING to do with how or when it crossed species.  Duh.

Furthermore, once HIV got a strong hold in African cities - then it was in the human population.  It was an epidemic in certain locales.  It's therefore irrelevant how it spread to other cities around Africa or the world.

Its certainly likely that "drugs addicts" and "gays" were important vectors during the time it spread around the world, rather some "westerns have sex with africans" meme.  
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 04:44:52 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline elf

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 12:23:43 pm »
and H.I.V.-2, which is milder and rarely seen outside West Africa
HIV2 is milder, maybe that's why the German singer was freed.  :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.