Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:34:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773272
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 386
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 370
Total: 374

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Gene Therapy and Stem Cell  (Read 26709 times)

Offline HALOO

Gene Therapy and Stem Cell
« on: December 23, 2008, 11:12:20 am »
For now, I really the best way to cure AIDS is Gene Therapy and Stem Cell.

I hope that one day(in the near future) they will be able to modify immune cell to become resistant HIV and insert this cell into the stem cell so new immune cell will be protect from HIV.Hence HIV cannot replicate and cannot cause any harm to the body.This way a person will be cure from AIDS.

I will add every research, I find about Gene Therapy and Stem Cell to this forum.IF anyone found any research about Gene Therapy and Stem Cell, please add to this forum. :)

Offline HALOO

Offline HALOO

Re: Gene Therapy and Stem Cell
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 11:18:02 am »

Offline HALOO

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 11:28:42 am »
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00074997?term=HIV+GENE+THERAPY&rank=8&flds=Xabefmno

anyone know the result of this trial????.The trial complete in January 2008.

Offline HALOO

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 12:48:23 pm »

Offline bimazek

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 06:04:07 pm »
try doing a google scholar search and used advanced option
that looks only for papers in 2006 - 2009  and only in medicine

that will gives lots to look at

Gene Therapy hiv

and

Stem Cell  hiv

or do the same in google news and add work breakthrough
the journalists always seem to add that word to thier reports

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 12:44:00 pm »
I have to be so sceptical of this sort of promotion  it looks and sounds like a pitch to buy a "stock/ newsletter" ...I get this sort of BS all the time..it goes directly in the shredder

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 05:46:19 pm »
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00074997?term=HIV+GENE+THERAPY&rank=8&flds=Xabefmno

I found this blog, which reprints and article from the San Francisco Chronicle that discusses this trial. They say that the results will not be available until February but they mention a guy who was part of the trial whose T-cells doubled and virus is undetectable and isn't taking any ARV meds. Makes me cautiously optimistic

http://www.thoughttheater.com/2006/04/novel_hiv_therapy_being_tested.php

Offline HALOO

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 06:18:11 pm »
The article is written on  April 12, 2006 | 7:33 AM

I guess he mean Feb 08.

If this result is good, why dont the company publish some news.

They enroll 75 people for trail but dont publish any result...Quite Strange!!!

Offline HALOO

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 04:19:34 pm »
http://www.drugdiscoverynews.com/index.php?newsarticle=2720

Haloo:

This link discusses the trial done with Lymphoma patients but the one discussed in the San Francisco Chronicle That I mentioned above was done with people who have HIV but not lymphoma (sponsored by Johnson & Johnson). I guess they are two different clinical trials , both using stem cells?

Offline HALOO

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 05:05:37 pm »
Yes, I think there is  two different clinical trials , both using stem cells.

http://www.drugdiscoverynews.com/index.php?newsarticle=2720

This news really give more details like 1% of modified stem cell in the past trail, and next step they will try in 5-10 patients and then 30-50 patients(both 100% modified stem cell,if they get approve). 

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 05:43:16 pm »
I tracked down someone who has information about the study that was discussed in the article in the San Francisco Chronicle (above). I asked them if they knew the results of the study and this was their response:

The researchers determined that the outcome of the study was not
promising and the study would not advance to phase II. There is still
lots of hope in stem cell research, especially in San Francisco where
UCSF is building the largest stem cell research facility in the country.

Offline HALOO

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 02:30:03 pm »
http://www.nature.com/gt/journal/v16/n1/full/gt2008124a.html

Something about anti-hiv gene in the mice model which sound good and potential to inhibit hiv replication.It is the scientific research and very difficult to read.IF someone understand them very well, please explain.

Offline HALOO

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 11:49:07 am »
Sangamo BioSciences Initiates Phase 1 Trial of CCR5-ZFP Therapeutic to Treat HIV/AIDS

http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayReleaseContent.aspx?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/02-03-2009/0004965065&EDATE=

Till now, this is the second  most exciting hiv treatment news for this year(first is City of Hope, Stem Cell).

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 06:48:09 pm »
Sounds awesome, although I guess the only issue would be the fact that this only affects HIV that is CCR5-tropic and not CXCR4.

Offline HALOO

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 02:14:31 pm »
Penn Medicine presents HIV gene therapy trial data at CROI 2009

Evaluate the Tolerability and Therapeutic Effects of Repeated Doses of Autologous T Cells With VRX496 in HIV
Phase I / Phase II
Number Enrolled: 25
Start Date: January 2006
Completion Date: July 2009
Last Updated: January 26, 2009

http://www.bio-medicine.org/medicine-news-1/Penn-Medicine-presents-HIV-gene-therapy-trial-data-at-CROI-2009-36271-1/

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2009-02/uops-pmp021009.php

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 02:23:42 pm »
Interesting news re: VRX496.
Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline HALOO

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 02:53:34 pm »
Very glad to hear that many scientist are working in gene therapy, siRNA

http://www.iavireport.org/Issues/Issue10-5/Interfering.asp

Offline HALOO

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 05:42:42 pm »
David Baltimore Gene Therapy and Stem Cell news

http://www.scivee.tv/node/10361

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 07:45:49 pm »
Haloo: That lecture with Dr. Baltimore was very interesting. He mentions Part 3 but I was not able to find the link for it. By any chance do you have a link to Part 3?

Thanks ;)

Offline simpleguy

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 08:56:33 pm »

Go back and look at the trial on clinicaltrials.gov, scroll down. There's a link to pubmed about the outcome. The trial proved the concept but apparently didn't make much of a difference on VL, although CD4's were higher compared to the control group.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19219022?dopt=Abstract

I think I read somewhere, that the problem seems to be, that most of the gene-modified cells are cleared from the body too soon to make a lasting impact.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 09:37:00 pm by simpleguy »
2008 JUL: Sustiva OCT: Rayataz DEC: Kaletra • 2009 Off meds • 2011 Intelence • 2012+ Complera

Offline Matts

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2009, 08:03:39 pm »
Hello, here is a document about the Benitec/City of Hope trial:

http://www.benitec.com/documents/656730.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gerhar Bauer says: "Within 5 years, Human Test for Stem Cell Based AIDS Cure"

http://www.stem-cells-news.com/1/2009/02/usa-within-5-years-human-test-for-stem-cell-based-aids-cure/
----------------------------------------------------------
Not Stem Cells, but
Biotron Australia has finished the BIT225 HCV trial without problems.
Unfortunately they tell : "The cancellation of the Commercial Ready grant program caused the Company to hold the commencement of a second Phase Ib/IIa clinical trial for the treatment of HIV and focus the Company's financial resources on the HCV clinical trial. The HIV clinical trial, which has finalised protocols ready for submission for ethical and regulatory approvals, could be commenced quickly with sufficient financial resources."
Now they look for a potential partner.

http://www.biotron.com.au/ftp/5Mar2009_702347.pdf

BIT 225 & HIV on page 14: http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20081013/pdf/31cvfl5mkkcsx8.pdf
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 11:03:41 am by Matts »
Dovato

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 12:04:01 pm »
Dr Hutter's patient.
Two years after

Two years after the first transplant the patient is still free of the cancer and - remarkably - the HIV infection. No trace of the virus can be found in his bloodstream or in other areas of the body where HIV can lie dormant, such as the gut and the brain. His blood and marrow cells have all converted to the CCR5-free, HIV-resistant type and the infection-fighting blood cells that HIV normally destroys (called CD4 T cells) have returned to normal levels. The patient has not needed any HIV drug therapy since his first transplant, and will not need it again as long as HIV remains undetectable.

Source

Best news since ever. If confirmed, this is the first time in the HIV history that HIV have been eradicated.
Encouraging.

Offline Alefou

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 12:36:30 pm »
Well, are we sure that HIV had been eradicated ? I mean, he is still positive on antibody test right ? Since all of his antobodies has been destroyed, the new antibodies against HIV must have come from somewhere ....
12/16/2008 : Probable infection
12/26/2008 : ARS (Flu for one week)
01/15/2009 : HIV rapid test neg
01/28/2009 : Rapid test poz
01/31/2009 : Two EIA Poz
02/03/2009 : WB pos, CD4 : 832 (32%), VL : 116k copies/ml
03/08/2009 : CD4 : 836 (38%), VL : 104k

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 12:37:19 pm »
this is amaizing ,and hopefulyl researchers and medics will try to find out more about this procedure and how it can be re-done with less life threatening risks so that those who can afford such operations,just go for it and have it done in the near future.lets get it over with man !
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline John2038

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 01:15:58 pm »
Well, are we sure that HIV had been eradicated ? I mean, he is still positive on antibody test right ? Since all of his antobodies has been destroyed, the new antibodies against HIV must have come from somewhere ....

The virus can be detected indirectly (Ac/Ag) or directly (PCR).
The PCR haven't find any trace of the virus in his body.
His counts have come back to normal.

As far as I remember, he is HIV- on the Elisa.

Offline Alefou

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 01:35:00 pm »
I would like to see the article who said that he is HIV - on EIA. I remember to have read the contrary .... If this is true, it would really be an enourmous news !

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 01:45:34 pm »
I would like to see the article who said that he is HIV - on EIA. I remember to have read the contrary .... If this is true, it would really be an enourmous news !

If there is not trace of the virus in his body then his immune system will stop making HIV specific antibodies so he should theoretically not turn up positive on an ELISA.

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 01:18:12 pm »
I remember to have read the contrary ....

Really?  That would make you the first to have seen this.  Please cite your source.  The large majority of articles I've read regarding "The German Patient" have stated that he's undetectable based on any number of tests they've run.
Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2009, 02:11:24 pm »

Really?  That would make you the first to have seen this.  Please cite your source.  The large majority of articles I've read regarding "The German Patient" have stated that he's undetectable based on any number of tests they've run.

I don't think Alefou was questioning if that patient in Germany is undetectable but rather if he were to test
HIV-negative at this point if he were given an ELISA or Western Blot test.

Personally, I don't think it would make a difference if he were to still test HIV-Positive as long as he is completely undetectable as he seems to be, including through very sensitive tests that they have done, even looking at reservoirs. Wouldn't the antibodies still remain in someone's system if they were once exposed, even if you got rid of all the virus, meaning he'd still test HIV-Pos?

Offline Alefou

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009, 03:09:45 pm »
I was not questionning the fact that the patien has undetectable virus. I know that this patien has undectable virus in the blood. My question was if the ELISA test was negative.

I know that even if the EIA test is positive, it doesn't mean that HIV is still present in the body, since antibody can remain a long time in the body after infection (for example when you have Hep B immunization , you have antibody against Hep B even if you don't have the virus), but if the EIA is negative, it means for sure that the virus has completly diseapeared from the body ... That's what I was asking for ...

Offline John2038

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 04:37:48 pm »
I haven't find an article saying that this patient is HIV- on Elisa.
If I find it, I will post it.

In the meantime, just this other case:

In 1989, Dr. Rossi had a case eerily similar to the one in Berlin. A 41-year-old patient with AIDS and lymphoma underwent radiation and drug therapy to ablate his bone marrow and received new cells from a donor. It is not known if those cells had the protective CCR5 mutation, because its relation to HIV hadn't been discovered yet. But after the transplant, HIV disappeared from the patient's blood. The patient died of his cancer 47 days after the procedure. Autopsy tests from eight organs and the tumor revealed no HIV.

Unfortunately, the patient died from his cancer.
But no HIV was found in his blood and organs.

Offline Matts

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2009, 05:09:22 am »
This is another Gene Therapy project of the EU: HIV HIDDEN CHALLENGE-specific, small interfering RNAs as a novel therapeutic tool to eradicate HIV-1 infection; siRNA; chromatin  (co-ordinated by Monsef Benkirane)

- the project:http://ec.europa.eu/research/health/poverty-diseases/projects/89_en.htm

-a study: "Suppression of HIV-1 replication by microRNA effectors"
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2657893

-and this is the team in Montpellier, France
http://www.igh.cnrs.fr/EN/equipe-detail.php?id=3
Dovato

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2009, 04:15:05 pm »
This is another Gene Therapy project of the EU: HIV HIDDEN CHALLENGE-specific, small interfering RNAs as a novel therapeutic tool to eradicate HIV-1 infection; siRNA; chromatin  (co-ordinated by Monsef Benkirane)

- the project:http://ec.europa.eu/research/health/poverty-diseases/projects/89_en.htm

The project linked above says it started in January of 2005 and was to go for 36 months. Does anybody know if they've published their results?

Offline Matts

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2009, 07:14:36 pm »
the results were published recently : http://www.retrovirology.com/content/6/1/26#IDAOZ54G

http://www.labmeeting.com/papers/author/benkirane-m

a similiar research by The  George Washington University : http://www.retrovirology.com/content/6/1/18#
-----------------------------
HIVSTOP is a running RNAi project :"Development of an Effective RNA Interference-Based Anti-HIV-1 Therapy Using an SV40-Derived Vector"
http://www.viruvation.com/HIVSTOP.html

In Hamburg the M87o Gene-Modified Stem Cells Therapy reached Phase II:http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00858793?term=Hamburg+M87&rank=1
http://www.vision-7.de/
Prof. Jan van Lunzen also starts  3 therapeutic vaccine trials at the moment: Glaxo's vaccine 732461, Vacc-4q Bionor and DermaVir. More trials will follow soon; Tre-Rekombinase also moves forward.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 03:15:15 am by Matts »
Dovato

Offline Alefou

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2009, 01:11:05 pm »
French had discovered the virus so they will find the cure   ;D

I'm just kidding, just saying that because i'm french  :D

Offline Matts

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2009, 04:20:36 am »
I think this goal can only be achieved by global efforts, fortunately scientists from all over the world work together.
In December the "Fourth International Workshop on
HIV Persistence during Therapy" takes place. D.M Margolis,D. Hazuda, R. J. Pomerantz,Gero Hütter, M. Benkirane and many others take part, hopefully they made some progress and have some new results . Link

Summary of the last workshop 2007:Link
HIV Eradication, Is it feasible ?: Link

Hidden HIV Reservoirs:Link
Bryostatin-1 against HIV-latency? :Link  Link
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 12:20:33 pm by Matts »
Dovato

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2009, 08:07:33 pm »
One of the links from Matts, above, discusses the patient in Germany and says: The patient was known to have had chronic progressive HIV disease with high viral loads prior to the HAART.   At the time of the transplant, the patient had undetectable plasma HIV RNA level (using conventional assays), a detectable proviral DNA level (> 15 copies DNA/105 PBMCs) and a peripheral CD4+ T cell count of x.   For unclear reasons, HAART was interrupted on the day of the transplant and not resumed. The patient remained aviremic off HAART, at least through 285 days of observation. Repeated measures of proviral DNA (in both blood and rectal tissue) were negative (< 5 copies DNA/105 PBMCs).  HIV antibody levels remained detectable.

So I guess he would still test HIV+ if given an antibody test but who cares as long as he is free of the virus.

This is the link to the whole article, which is slightly dated about a couple of things (a good sign that HIV research is moving at a nice clip!) but still very informative:

http://www.aids2031.org/pdfs/aids2031%20preconf%20reading%20-%20hiv%20eradication%20_deeks_.pdf

As I was re-reading the quote above I wonder why they say "For unclear reasons, HAART was interrupted on the day of the transplant and not resumed." I thought that was the whole point of doing the transplant with a donor that had the CCR5 mutation. If they continued the HAART they wouldn't be able to tell if the experiment was successful or not. Duh!@ Or am I missing something?

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 08:12:10 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline Matts

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2009, 05:26:09 am »
i think this a a better article about the case:Link

HAART was interrupted to avoid rejection. The whole operation was a scientific project (special fund), they had to ask every donor if they are allowed to test their receptors. This operation is very dangerous and will never be used for patients without serious cancer.
The patient has NO Antibodies anymore, as Charite  told, no virus in CNS, mucous membrane of the anal canal or in the blood. It is not absolutely sure that the virus won't rebound..Link
 maybe in the future it will be possible to remove the CCr5 receptors ex vivo or injecting vectors carrying small interfering RNA, antisense RNA or ribozymes.
Dr.Hütter would like to repeat this operation with another leukemia patient.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 11:05:36 am by Matts »
Dovato

Offline FrederickGNP+USA

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2009, 05:34:52 pm »
It would be way cool if we had some support and Activitism for a Cure for AIDS from the community and I wonder why not very many groups have it on their adgenda and why the community is not concerned?

Frederick Wright
GNP+USA
Frederickgnp@aol.com

Offline betonet

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2009, 10:16:01 am »
I believe stem cells will be the Cure for Aids. But why noone is pushing the things? If some more money were invested in these researches, we would have seen a cure a long ago!!!
Dec 2008 - diagnosed +
Jan 2009  CD4 550  CD4% ??  VL 40 000
Feb 2009  CD4 330  CD4% 18  VL Unknown
Apr 2009  CD4 406  CD4% 20  VL Unknown
May 2009  CD4 380  CD4% ??  VL 27 000
June 2009 CD4 395  CD4% ??  VL Unknown
Sept 2009 CD4 344  CD4% ??  VL 44 000
Jan   2010 CD4 397  CD4% ??  VL 250 000
May  2010 CD4 370  CD4% 16  VL 750 000
Aug 2010 CD4 385  CD4% 14  VL Unknown
Dec 2010 CD4 315  CD4% ??  VL Unknown
Jan 2010 CD4 285 CD4% ?? VL Unknown
No meds yet

Offline ZCorker

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2009, 11:18:25 pm »
I too am skeptical about these companies and also question whether or not this is just to sell some stock or pitch investors.  However, I do applaud their efforts for at least trying.

What we do know is that a bone marrow transfer will work or perhaps cure a person if both of the donors parents had the special CCR5 blocker.  Also, we have yet to hear back about research involving the French Canadian Study that discovered that the only thing in the world preventing T-Cells from killing hiv was a missing protein.

These two techniques are grossly under exploited and we should all be questioning what happened?  What went wrong?  Why are we not seeing the benefits of this research.

Most recently I recall that a doctor in Spain was filing a patent on a bone marrow transfer that was going to be used to help out Emphysema patients.  I am wondering if this transfer will require an operation?  Or whether or not it could just be infused?  Would hiv patients benefit?

Has anyone heard more on what happened to the research involving the missing protein that prevents T-Cells from killing hiv disease?

???
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 11:20:14 pm by ZCorker »

Offline Matts

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2009, 05:17:26 am »
German-Swiss-Austrian AIDS Congress 2009: G.Huetter
Control of HIV by CCR5Δ32/Δ32 stem cell transplantation - an update

Allogeneic stem cell transplantation of an HIV-1 infected patient suffering from an acute myeloid leukemia was performed using donor cells homozygous for CCR5Δ32. HIV-1 RNA and proviral DNA remain undetectable since more than two years without ART (Hütter G et al. NEJM 2009, 360:692-8). Ultra deep sequencing analysis of plasma HIV-1 RNA revealed 2.9% of the total virus population as CXCR4- or dual-tropic HIV-1 variants before transplantation, and the frequency of X4-using viruses in infected cells could be higher (Verhofstede C et al. JAIDS 2009; 50: 126-136.). CXCR4-expression levels on peripheral T cells and plasma levels of CXCL12, which is known to be a competitive entry inhibitor of CXCR4-using HIV-1, remain comparable to non-infected and HIV-infected controls during the follow-up period. Consequently, long-lived host immune cells depict a potential source for re-seeding HIV-1 using CXCR4 for cell entry in our patient.
We determined the presence of long-lived host cells in different tissues after transplantation by chimerism analysis and by the detection of cellular CCR5-expression in flow cytometric analysis and in situ stainings. CCR5-expressing CD4+ T cells were not observed in peripheral blood and in upper and lower gastrointestinal tract, furthermore, no CCR5+ microglia cells were found in the brain. CCR5-expressing macrophages were absent in the periphery and in the upper gastrointestinal tract, but in rectal tissue we found long-lived macrophages of the host 159 days after transplantation.
The long life-span of monocytes/macrophages in the rectal tissue of our patient might identify intestinal macrophages as a crucial cellular reservoir for HIV-1 variants in patients on HIV-1 suppressive therapy. Our observations further suggest that CCR5-targeted treatment strategies can be successful even in the presence of treatment-unaffected cellular reservoirs like intestinal macrophages

http://abstracts.soedak2009.com/contentview.php?id=29
Dovato

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2009, 02:12:37 pm »
Ultra deep sequencing analysis of plasma HIV-1 RNA revealed 2.9% of the total virus population as CXCR4- or dual-tropic HIV-1 variants before transplantation, and the frequency of X4-using viruses in infected cells could be higher (Verhofstede C et al. JAIDS 2009; 50: 126-136.). CXCR4-expression levels on peripheral T cells and plasma levels of CXCL12, which is known to be a competitive entry inhibitor of CXCR4-using HIV-1, remain comparable to non-infected and HIV-infected controls during the follow-up period. Consequently, long-lived host immune cells depict a potential source for re-seeding HIV-1 using CXCR4 for cell entry in our patient.

That's great news about the macrophage reservoirs remaining dormant. It would be great if they could be targeted and killed just to make sure.

As far as his X4-tropic virus, I wonder why it has not come back? As above with macrophages, if they could only target those long lived Tcells..........or find out what is keeping that X4-tropic HIV dormant and not causing any trouble.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.