Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:15:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 379
Total: 380

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Im SOOO TIRED!  (Read 8235 times)

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
Im SOOO TIRED!
« on: July 17, 2006, 10:37:41 am »
Im on Sustiva and Truvada have been for about a year (Well the sustiva anyway).  I have had the "electric dreams" since day one, and thought originally they were pretty COOL!  Now however I have had a change of heart.  I am tired ALL THE TIME, I have read others saying this may be due to the Sustiva not allowing me to reach deep REM sleep.  Which in my unprofessional opinion sounds about right.  It feels as though im constantly hovering over the deep end of sleep but am only allowed in the baby pool.  I am thinking of trying ambien but have also heard this doesnt allow for deep REM sleep either.

I need some help with this one people, I think the lack of sleep is leading to a slight case of depression and I want a handle on this thing!

Thanks,
Andrew
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Dachshund

Re: Im SOOO TIRED!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 11:45:35 am »
Andrew I think you will find many here who experienced the same side effects with Sustiva. What you described I lived with for three years. Toward the end I thought I would lose my mind. Two weeks ago after discussing it with my doctor I made the switch to Kaletra. Withen 48hrs I felt like a new person.

I hope Dingo shares his experience with Sustiva with you.

My doc would have never known to switch meds if I had not brought it up. Talk to your doctor and see what he/she thinks.

I feel your pain.
Hal

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 12:02:31 pm »
oh goodness; hoping for good solutions for you . i just wanna say with ambien, if you ever decide to use it for whatever, please use it as directed. it's one of those drugs (imho) that's easy to overuse/abuse. i just wanna say if God forbid you have any temptation to abuse ambien, please resist with all your might. i abused it and had deathly scary "Stephen King novel" encounters due to my stupidity. i won't go within 100 miles of ambien now. and when i say deathly scary, that's not an exaggeration, i'm talkin' "grim reaper" scary - not fun

my closing line: beware of ambien

Alex

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 12:20:44 pm »
oh goodness; hoping for good solutions for you . i just wanna say with ambien, if you ever decide to use it for whatever, please use it as directed. it's one of those drugs (imho) that's easy to overuse/abuse. i just wanna say if God forbid you have any temptation to abuse ambien, please resist with all your might. i abused it and had deathly scary "Stephen King novel" encounters due to my stupidity. i won't go within 100 miles of ambien now. and when i say deathly scary, that's not an exaggeration, i'm talkin' "grim reaper" scary - not fun

my closing line: beware of ambien

Alex

Thank you for this advice.  I had taken ambien a few times off and on in the past but only to get my "schedule" back on track.  I have come to know that if I'm not getting to sleep there are deeper issues for me usually.  But this is completely different.  My sleep comes on quick its just not as DEEP as I think it needs for my body.  So I am very weary of the ambien, thinking at this time it will NOT meet my needs as from what I know of it, it aids you in FALLING to sleep.  Which I have no problems with. 

On a sidenote... has anyone heard of Rozerem?  A friend of mine is on it now and says it is non-addictive and provides for DEEP rem sleep.
RIDE!!!

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 12:36:12 pm »
AC,  I had the option of going on Sustiva but do to my mental outlook my doctor advised me against it for now and put me on Kaletra.  I sleep soundly every night unless I am roominating on something.  I will take an Ambien occasionally (2 or 3 a month) but thats it.... 

Good Luck!!!!

Love

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 02:24:02 pm »
Alex is right, Ambien is addictive, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.   I have been addicted to it for several years now;  my insurance will only allow me to have 18 each month, so I 'ration' them to every other day.   On the non-Ambien nights, I have some rough times.   I try to use over-the-counter sleep aids, but they don't do much good.

I wish I could break my addiction, but I cannot do it and keep working.   If I ever, for any reason, stop working again, I will break myself of it, and I know I can, it will just mean a lot of sleepless nights.

Is is possible for you to go to a sleep clinic?   At least with the Ambien I do sleep, and I do NOT function well without sleep.   Sleep is as important as eating well or taking your meds, in my opinion.   Your body heals itself while you are asleep.    I long for the days when I could go to sleep anywhere, anytime....I once fell asleep while the dentist was working in my mouth.   I wish I had a big switch on my back that says "OFF".

Good luck!

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Dboy

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 09:31:27 pm »
Sustiva.  Now that is a drug.  I'm now in my 4th month of sustiva and truvuda and I'm still not fully use to it.  It is getting better though.  I am able to sleep the whole night without the aid of sleeping pills but the sleep is not always refreshing.  I'm going to stick it out a little while longer.  During my last check up, my Doctor noticed the signs of poor sleep and suggested that sustiva might not be right for me.  I went undectable after 4 weeks and go in for another round of blood work in a couple of weeks.  We'll see about the CD4 recovery and then decide.  Try to take your sustiva earlier in the evening not right before bed.  That has helped for me although I end up going to bed earlier but I sleep longer.  Also try exercise which seems to also help me get to sleep without the sleeping pills and calms the dreams down.

David

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 01:42:20 am »
Hi Andrew,

I have been on Sustiva since about 1998 and am well over the dreams.  Sustiva does amuse me because the lable on the bottle does say "may cause drowsiness"  Not in my life, I see almost every sunrise no matter what time I go to bed.  I usually fall asleep about sunrise and sleep a few hours and nap during the day.  I can't work so why not get a few winks whenever possible?

This is the real "kicker" I have also been diagnosed with Restless Leg Syndrome and doctor prescribed Requip.  That lable also says, "may cause drowsiness" the printout warns against driving or operating heavy machinery because we may fall asleep... I have not slept more than a few hours in the last 3 flippin days.  If I can borrow some heavy machinery, I would like about 24 hours of sleep.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 11:07:43 am »
I wish I could break my addiction, but I cannot do it and keep working.   If I ever, for any reason, stop working again, I will break myself of it, and I know I can, it will just mean a lot of sleepless nights.

I abused Ambien to get up early and go to work on time. I was such a career whore that I abused it every freaking night. I hope you will find a way to kick Ambien out of your life. Considering the darkness Ambien gave me (we're talking demons talking to me-- and no I'm not insane), I can't help but view it as evil. That's just moi of course

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 11:49:30 am »
OK... so note to self.... Stay AWAY from Ambien.... CHECK!
RIDE!!!

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 07:07:33 pm »
OK... so note to self.... Stay AWAY from Ambien.... CHECK!

LOL - it's not kryptonite, just don't abuse it. the temptation might be great; if so, you gotta be sensible and resist

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 07:55:17 pm »

My doc gave me Rozerem to help me sleep.  He described it as a heavy dose of melatonin.  I wouldn't say it's a pannocia of sleep, but it helps sometimes.  Other times it doesn't seem to do anything.  Nonetheless, I stopped being awake until 3am every night...so it provides some releif.  It doesn't seem to have any addictive qualities.  After hearing the ambien stories I'm a bit scared of it, so I'll work with this stuff.  I take it 3 or 4 times a week.

brian

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 11:02:42 pm »
Ambien will make you hallucinate if you don't go to sleep right away.  Also, I am on Norvir and Invirase (similar to Kaletra) and Truvada, and I am not tired all the time and I sleep like a baby.  I work out about 5 days a week so I'm sure that helps me sleep.  I've never had strange dreams like those caused by Sustiva.  Good luck.

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 03:49:51 am »
Third night without any kind of sleeping aid, third night of no sleep. I've slept approximately four hours in the last 60. The last time I tried to wean myself off sleep meds this continued for SEVEN days and nights. I am sooooooo tired right now. Not to hijack your thread Andrew; but I'm thinking I'd rather be sleep med-dependent than feel this wretched.

Jay

Edited to add this link.

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=1711.0
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 05:02:29 am by lydgate »
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Christine

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 11:30:01 am »
Are you sure the tiredness is from the Sustiva? Have you and your doctor ruled out any other problems that could cause the fatigue...anemia, infection, depression.

If you think it is the Sustiva, can it be changed?

I have actually had a pretty good experience with Ambien. It lets me sleep when I am having problems doing so, without any side effects or groggy feeling the next day. It is actually one of the few meds that I have taken that I have not had side effects on.

I have problems sleeping when my depression is not being controlled, and it is horrible.
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 11:40:20 am »
Just a quick update.  The doc and I decided to switch my meds to the morning instead of taking them at night.  The dreams have diminished somewhat as far as I can tell.  I get a little dizzy every once in a while in the morning but other than that it seems to have helped.
RIDE!!!

Offline Trish

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 11:41:58 am »
I've used Ambien in the past... it worked for me.  These days I don't need it much.  Since going to therapy for my depression and what not, I've been able to sleep much better.

Not sure if many of you know about taking Ambien properly... it is to aide in sleep, not put you to sleep.  It shouldn't be taken within 2 hours of eating, and should only be taken when you feel sleepy.  It's not supposed to make you go to sleep, just helps you sleep through the night.  My brother used to take it after eating a huge meal, and was taking it under the belief that it would put him to sleep -- never happened.  He would then take another one and still no sleep.  He told me that Ambien sucks, and I clued him in on the proper way to take it and what it is for.  After learning the facts, the Ambien now works for him on most nights.  He's also extremely hyperactive and has alot of issues, which I think is his main problem for not being able to sleep.

Just thought I'd pass this info along for those who don't know the facts behind Ambien.
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2006, 08:18:49 am »
TRISH: That's *wonderful clarification* for us. Thank you.  8)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.