Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:28:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 214
Total: 214

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: your opinions?  (Read 5776 times)

Offline scotslassie

your opinions?
« on: July 06, 2006, 10:40:20 am »
Hi there

I have received an application pack for the local HIV care centre today to do volunteering.

There is a whole host of things to do- work in the creche or cafe, do gardening in the summer months, be a buddy, work at reception etc- They are desperate for volunteers to do anything.

What do you guys think of it? is it a good thing to do, is it something you think is worthwhile and needed? does anyone go to a local centre and have any advice?

Hope noone takes offense just wondered what you guys thought about it

Offline bear60

Re: your opinions?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 10:59:06 am »
I think its brilliant!  I would,  however, go there if you havent already and talk to the folks at the centre.  Get a better idea what you want to do.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 11:20:43 am »
Sounds fantastic to me! We have a local organization that helps folks out and are begging for volunteers.

I think you could find this both very rewarding and beneficial to those who need your help.

Sounds like a win-win situation to me!

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline scotslassie

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 11:22:30 am »
thanks guys

Once I fill in the application form I get an interview if they want me. So Id go to the place and see what its like and what Id be good at

Im thinking buddying would be a good thing for me- I just hope I could do it justice. I have always wantedto do voluntary work, did some at uni for kids from underprivelged backgrounds we took them skating, sweimming, bowling, camps etc. It was great fun

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 09:08:29 pm »
I think this is great!   We need more volunteerism.

My first "Lazarus Syndrome" Job (when the meds gave me my life back and I was able to get up out of bed and out of the wheelchair) was volunteering at DeKalb Medical Center in Atlanta in the telemetry unit.   I did everything, from wheeling patients around to entering data on the computer.

It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.   I'm sure they will be glad to get your help!

Hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 09:53:50 pm »
Lassie,

I too think it's a fantastic thing for you to do. HIV organisations are built on a firm foundation of volunteers. Capable, caring volunteers do make a real difference in the lives of HIV positive people.

Regards,

MtD

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 10:00:01 pm »
Scottlassie, you are a hero of the pandemic.

Anyone who devotes their time and energy to making the world a better place has earned all the accolades this world, and any others, have to offer.

I cannot stress that enough. You totally rock. Its people like yourself that turn me away from the abyss of total cynicism. Its people like you who I have to keep in mind before I say "people suck" with such abandon.

Anyone who spends time and energy helping other people, helping a cause, doing what they believe to be in the best interests of our fragile, weary world, is a hero of the greatest proportions.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 12:56:43 am »
Hi Lassie

I just wanted to agree with the others, it's a wonderful thing you are doing...if it wasn't for those who are willing to step forward and give their time this world would crumble....thanks for stepping up to the line.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline scotslassie

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 05:34:52 am »
thanks guys am very excited! Am about to send all my stuff off so should hear quite soon

I guess 7/7 for me, being british, makes a difference to me. The lives lost, not only on sept 11th and july 7th, but also in Iraq, in other wars,  in Africa etc etc makes me think we should all do something

This morning, while watching all the year on from the london bombings, I thought if we all did something small then maybe the world would be a brighter place. If we all felt we could help others, and not sit around while people hurt others, then maybe we could change the planet?????

I just hope I can make some kind of a difference, even if it means making one person smile and feel happier- Ill feel good. I guess thats why Im a teacher too.

Offline scotslassie

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 05:35:58 am »
I think this is great!   We need more volunteerism.

My first "Lazarus Syndrome" Job (when the meds gave me my life back and I was able to get up out of bed and out of the wheelchair) was volunteering at DeKalb Medical Center in Atlanta in the telemetry unit.   I did everything, from wheeling patients around to entering data on the computer.

It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.   I'm sure they will be glad to get your help!

Hugs,
Alan

did you enjoy the experience and did it make you feel different in any way alan?

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 11:09:42 am »
I enjoyed it immensely.   You see, I am an accountant....you generate lots of pages of numbers, but you don't actually get to SEE that you are helping someone.  When I volunteered at the hospital, I could see it in people's faces...the appreciation when you do a simple, nice thing for someone.

I have heard it and read it repeatedly throughout my life with AIDS, from various counselors and self-help books, etc, that the two most important things in life are love and work.    You need to love and be loved in order to thrive, and you need to have a purpose in life and feel useful.

Good luck, and I truly think the AIDS support agency will be lucky to have you!

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.